Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 08-04-2011   #1
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46286 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Longhorn Network's 5 New Shows: Why No One Will Watch Them

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba..._new_shows.php
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #2
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Longhorn Network's 5 New Shows: Why No One Will Watch Them

How many college football games are going to be shown on LHN?
Old 08-04-2011   #3
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

gonna be some interesting information released sunday night about this network if anyone is curious.. guy named @spadilly on twitter did some FOIA requests and has some documents he's gonna share with the public

gonna get real interesting real fast if its actual big news...
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #4
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
gonna be some interesting information released sunday night about this network if anyone is curious.. guy named @spadilly on twitter did some FOIA requests and has some documents he's gonna share with the public

gonna get real interesting real fast if its actual big news...
What are you implying?
Old 08-05-2011   #5
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 11189 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm not implying anything; I'm saying that on sunday a guy named @spadilly is going to release information he found about the network, ut-austin, espn, and Img that hasn't been released publicly.. that's all I know so far, but i'll be tuning in to see what he's got
Old 08-05-2011   #6
Stemp
Brew Master

Rep Power: 46286 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'm not implying anything; I'm saying that on sunday a guy named @spadilly is going to release information he found about the network, ut-austin, espn, and Img that hasn't been released publicly.. that's all I know so far, but i'll be tuning in to see what he's got
I'm not getting my hopes up, but it kinda funny watching the UT fans squirm or act like the Iraqi Information minister.
Old 08-05-2011   #7
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 17967 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
I'm not getting my hopes up, but it kinda funny watching the UT fans squirm or act like the Iraqi Information minister.
I think most Longhorn fans think that LHN is a lame idea. I know I do.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-07-2011   #8
pbat488
gig 'em

http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/...on-behind.html

here's the information I was talking about a few days ago
Old 08-08-2011   #9
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
http://themidnightyell.blogspot.com/...on-behind.html

here's the information I was talking about a few days ago
From what I got out of that, is that Texas got a great deal on their hands. You being an A&M guy who hates Texas is mad about it, because it makes them stronger and gives them certain advantages. Is this deal with ESPN good for the overall conference of the BIG 12?? Probably not. Sounds like you should be angry with the system and how it operates though, not with the school who found a way to take advantage of it to their benefit. If the NCAA and the BCS had policies in place that made it more fair for everyone in your eyes, then this doesn't create these advantages. The fact is if A&M had the draw that Texas does and was able to develop the same type of revenue that Texas can, then Texas A&M would have done this as well. They just don't and you're angry about it because you hate Texas and are a fan of another team in the BIG 12. Again though, you should be blaming the system of college football and how it's set up. Not the schools that find ways to benefit from it.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
From what I got out of that, is that Texas got a great deal on their hands. You being an A&M guy who hates Texas is mad about it, because it makes them stronger and gives them certain advantages. Is this deal with ESPN good for the overall conference of the BIG 12?? Probably not. Sounds like you should be angry with the system and how it operates though, not with the school who found a way to take advantage of it to their benefit. If the NCAA and the BCS had policies in place that made it more fair for everyone in your eyes, then this doesn't create these advantages. The fact is if A&M had the draw that Texas does and was able to develop the same type of revenue that Texas can, then Texas A&M would have done this as well. They just don't and you're angry about it because you hate Texas and are a fan of another team in the BIG 12. Again though, you should be blaming the system of college football and how it's set up. Not the schools that find ways to benefit from it.
Where do you even get the slightest bit of anger or hate from Pbat's posts in this thread? Did you get into a spat with an Aggie about this somewhere else? Because it really seems like you're projecting something onto him in this case.

PS, don't read Texags, it will make your head explode.
Old 08-08-2011   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Where do you even get the slightest bit of anger or hate from Pbat's posts in this thread? Did you get into a spat with an Aggie about this somewhere else? Because it really seems like you're projecting something onto him in this case.
Maybe from the dozens of other threads where him and a few others in here have taken shots at Texas and their fans multiple times in here.

Quote:
I wouldn't, just as I don't enjoy reading Orangebloods.com I can't stand listening to some of UT's fans either.
Old 08-08-2011   #12
pbat488
gig 'em

Quote:
ahh, texecutioner, why do you get so angry about my posts?! I think you're just mad that I think ufc/mma is super gay and that I support a&m.

as for your response, first off, I don't hate longhorns like you think I do. two out of what I consider my three best friends are longhorns. you could say I hate the arrogance longhorn fans show, but it's not a big deal as all fanbases have their own respective negatives. seriously though, go back through this thread here and read it. I posted numerous times during a very contentious period and I don't think I ever hated or demonstrated hatred towards the longhorns as you seem to believe. feel free to check through other posts in that forum as well; i'm sure there's some where i've made fun of them but never downright hated.

now, as to what perturbs me from this information being released isn't the fact that ut-austin is going to get a boatload of cash for this, that was a given and they already made way more than anyone else anyways, it's the way that the longhorn leaders have been so deceptive in their public statements on the subject. here's a quote from the blog I posted earlier demonstrating what I mean..

Quote:
Remember a few weeks back when it was made known that the Longhorn Network planned to air a Big XII football game this coming season (2011) and the fuss from media and other conference members that came with that? Well, it was planned all along. In the signed agreement, the Longhorn Network HAS to show 1 live football game a year (This year it will be the first home game of the year against Rice to fill the requirement) but BOTH the University of Texas and ESPN have a "mutual desire" to show NO LESS THAN 2 live football games a year on the Longhorn Network.

So where does the network and ESPN stop at? Four live Texas Longhorn football games? The entire home schedule? And if the network does in fact air that many live football games, how does this affect the overall value of the 1st and 2nd tier media rights of the conference as a whole? Less money for the entire conference on the table when 1st tier rights become available in 2015-2016? I guess this also makes void Chip Brown and the Longhorn's spin that "Texas had no idea what ESPN was doing, it was their fault". It's not ESPN alone when there is a "mutual desire" is it?

“This was ESPN acting on its own,” one high-ranking administrator in the Big 12 said. “I don’t think Texas even knew where ESPN was in the process of trying to get this conference game secured. DeLoss Dodds has been very open and forthcoming with all the schools in the Big 12.
another reason why this information is upsetting to me doesn't have anything to do with longhorns but has to do with my disappointment in the a&m leadership (board of regents, loftin, byrnes, etc) for not foreseeing this happening. when it was announced the conference was staying together and the longhorn network was going to become a reality, I knew then that it would be the end of the Big XII eventually, I just didn't know how soon it would come to be.

after reading this information, it's clear that the endgame for the longhorns is going to be independence and that's fine. I, and i'm sure some other a&m fans, don't care too much about that. I've stated before and still believe that schools should lookout for themselves first and foremost, and I believe ut-austin did while a&m didn't.

at the end of all of this though, I hope and believe that a&m will eventually end up in the SEC. the Big XII is a sitting duck of a conference that will break up at some point and trigger a realignment craze like last summer, it's just a matter of when and not how in my opinion now.
Old 08-08-2011   #13
jjohns1
Rookie

Rep Power: 152 jjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respectedjjohns1 is a quality contributor and well respected

lmao @ back n fourth... horns on top n every1 made about it!!

hook em!
jjohns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #14
Dan B.
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 59516 Dan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respectedDan B. is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
One of the major topics that has been brought up not only on fan message boards but in the national media as well has been the airing of Texas high school content. Would it be surprising to anyone that UT Athletics and IMG would put forth their "best effort" to help ESPN secure the rights to airing all state UIL Championships? Fox Sports owns those rights until 2017, but anything after is fair game when the contract expires. And when the University of Texas owns the UIL, who do you think will be televising every Texas state football championship in all classifications, the UIL Basketball State Tournament already held in Austin as well as the softball and baseball tournaments? It is also not hard to imagine the state football championship games being played in Austin instead of Cowboys Stadium where they are located now when that time comes. Unfair advantage for Texas?
Psst.. Nobody tell @spadilly, but the UIL is already owned by the University of Texas. It was founded by UT and has been run for 100 years by UT:

Quote:
The University Interscholastic League was created by The University of Texas at Austin to provide leadership and guidance to public school debate and athletic teachers. Since 1910 the UIL has grown into the largest inter-school organization of its kind in the world. The UIL continues to operate as part of the University of Texas, under the auspices of the Vice President for Diversity & Community Engagement.
http://www.uiltexas.org/about
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011   #15
pbat488
gig 'em

here's an aggie grad who's an attorney thoughts on the network and the information from the documents..

I'm much more in line with this guys thoughts than I think texecutioner or others might seem to believe I am, especially his synopsis near the end.

http://marooncarrot.blogspot.com/

and sidenote..

Quote:
dude, texags is the best!! how do you not love that site?! the hilarious people cloud out the complete idjits that post there so it's enjoyable for me. plus looch's stuff is top notch.
Old 08-09-2011   #16
Stemp
Brew Master

Quote:
here's an aggie grad who's an attorney thoughts on the network and the information from the documents..

I'm much more in line with this guys thoughts than I think texecutioner or others might seem to believe I am, especially his synopsis near the end.

http://marooncarrot.blogspot.com/

and sidenote..

dude, texags is the best!! how do you not love that site?! the hilarious people cloud out the complete idjits that post there so it's enjoyable for me. plus looch's stuff is top notch.
Websider is much more enjoyable as an A&M fan, with as good or better info. Plus David has been spot on with his insider info on realignment, from both A&M and SEC sources.
Old 08-09-2011   #17
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 112235 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

The article was worth reading for this alone....

Quote:
To be sure, the idea of Mack Brown swapping bon mots with VY and Ricky Williams has some appeal.
Old 08-09-2011   #18
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
ahh, texecutioner, why do you get so angry about my posts?!
I think you mistake amusement for anger.

Why would any Longhorn fan get angered by what Aggies fans have to say? Be realistic here.

Quote:
I think you're just mad that I think ufc/mma is super gay and that I support a&m.
Man, sorry you're missing out.

Quote:
as for your response, first off, I don't hate longhorns like you think I do. two out of what I consider my three best friends are longhorns. you could say I hate the arrogance longhorn fans show, but it's not a big deal as all fanbases have their own respective negatives. seriously though, go back through this thread here and read it. I posted numerous times during a very contentious period and I don't think I ever hated or demonstrated hatred towards the longhorns as you seem to believe. feel free to check through other posts in that forum as well; i'm sure there's some where i've made fun of them but never downright hated.
I've read through enough threads to make my own determination on that.

Quote:
now, as to what perturbs me from this information being released isn't the fact that ut-austin is going to get a boatload of cash for this, that was a given and they already made way more than anyone else anyways, it's the way that the longhorn leaders have been so deceptive in their public statements on the subject. here's a quote from the blog I posted earlier demonstrating what I mean..

What do you want or expect them to say.

Quote:
another reason why this information is upsetting to me doesn't have anything to do with longhorns but has to do with my disappointment in the a&m leadership (board of regents, loftin, byrnes, etc) for not foreseeing this happening. when it was announced the conference was staying together and the longhorn network was going to become a reality, I knew then that it would be the end of the Big XII eventually, I just didn't know how soon it would come to be.
The Big XII needs to end. I'd like to see that happen as soon as possible.

Quote:
after reading this information, it's clear that the endgame for the longhorns is going to be independence and that's fine. I, and i'm sure some other a&m fans, don't care too much about that. I've stated before and still believe that schools should lookout for themselves first and foremost, and I believe ut-austin did while a&m didn't.
From what I hear that is starting to change and A&M alums are getting really tired of being a doormat and are wanting to do something about it. I hope they do. I like it when A&M is competitive.

Quote:
at the end of all of this though, I hope and believe that a&m will eventually end up in the SEC. the Big XII is a sitting duck of a conference that will break up at some point and trigger a realignment craze like last summer, it's just a matter of when and not how in my opinion now.
They should have gone when they had the chance then. But why the SEC? You think they're having trouble competing now, and they really become irrelevant. I don't think the SEC would be the right move. I think the BIG 10 would me much smarter for them.
Old 08-09-2011   #19
pbat488
gig 'em

Quote:
1) I think you mistake amusement for anger.

2) Why would any Longhorn fan get angered by what Aggies fans have to say? Be realistic here.

3) Man, sorry you're missing out.

4) I've read through enough threads to make my own determination on that.

5) What do you want or expect them to say.

6) The Big XII needs to end. I'd like to see that happen as soon as possible.

7) From what I hear that is starting to change and A&M alums are getting really tired of being a doormat and are wanting to do something about it. I hope they do. I like it when A&M is competitive.

8) They should have gone when they had the chance then. But why the SEC? You think they're having trouble competing now, and they really become irrelevant. I don't think the SEC would be the right move. I think the BIG 10 would me much smarter for them.
1) possibly; but I think you're just passive aggressive, not amused.

2) hahahahahahahaha, dear god, get off your high horse guy.

3) nope, a good friend of mine is real into it and made me go to one of the events in houston in like '07 or '06 and it was the worst. more douchers were there than go out on washington now.

4) fair enough.

5) I want and expect them to tell the truth. they instead chose to lie and shift blame to the ESPN official because they were too cowardly to have their true intentions revealed to the public.. still don't wanna look like the bad guy for the eventual dissolution of the big XII.

6) hey! we agree on something!

7) yeah, i'm tired of being a freaking doormat!

except.. no. just.... no. i'm gonna guess you're about 25-27 years old, so if being a doormat is going 15 - 12 in your estimated lifetime against the high and mighty horns, then i'll take being a doormat. also, athletic department smack!.

8) when have I ever said I think we're having trouble competing in the big XII? that's just ridiculous and would've probably been more relevant from '03-'07ish but seriously, we have the best athletic department in the big XII as of right now, and I don't think there's any denying that*.

as for the big 10, I'd like it from a money standpoint, but realistically it's not a fit. those places are dying, while the south is where the country as a whole is moving. also, we have little natural rivalry with many of those schools. the SEC is where we should be. (as a sidenote, I've noticed many longhorn/tech/baylor fans think we're a terrible fit for the SEC, and I'd really like to understand why. we're not talking about how "we're gonna get the shit knocked out of us by vandy!! hahaha hook 'em, yeah!!!! *high fives* who wants to go to oil can harry's?!" queries that are normally brought up, but rather about the cultural fit in the conference. get back to me on that).

* logically

9) now I have my own question that stemmed from my last response! why are the longhorns so afraid of texas a&m going to the SEC?!
Old 08-09-2011   #20
MadBurgerMaker
Rookie

Rep Power: 15 MadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden coverMadBurgerMaker could be on the next Madden cover

If Texas A&M is going to go to the SEC, they need to go now. This continuous cycle of WE'RE LEAVING WE REALLY ARE THIS TIME OKAY MAYBE NOT JUST YET BUT WE WILL SOON bullshit is getting old.
MadBurgerMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read