Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2011   #61
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ravens fan here.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Just looked like a fb running in the hole and picking up the first opposite jersey he saw.

As a blocker you can't see the rb.

In the zbs you take your steps, but if a defender crosses your face you "take them where they want to go" which really means just push them past the hole.

It's up to the rb to make the right cut off of your block.

My point is that I dont think vonta analyzed the play like you think he did. I think he just picked up the guy the best way he could. He did a good job of doing that.
Your point is well taken; however, in this instance, I can see that Leach wanted to clear the SS to the outside. Branch had full intention to at least stall the block to the inside to force the runner outside, but Leach didn't let him.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #62
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
Are you talking about the Jets game this year?
Foster's TD in the fourth quarter?
It was the jets game from last season. And I don't know what quarter it was. Late in the game is a good guess since we are talking about our offense.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #63
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Your point is well taken; however, in this instance, I can see that Leach wanted to clear the SS to the outside. Branch had full intention to at least stall the block to the inside to force the runner outside, but Leach didn't let him.
I disagree again.

As a defender the last thing you want to do is force a runner outside. You are taught to force the defender back inside because that's where your help is coming from.

If you force the ball carrier outside then you are not using the inside pursuit. That's why ball carriers so often try to hit the sideline.

Arians cut and acceleration was sick. He was able to cut up the field before backside pursuit had a chance to get there.
Old 08-04-2011   #64
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It was the jets game from last season. And I don't know what quarter it was. Late in the game is a good guess since we are talking about our offense.
LOL, silly me!
Foster only played the Jets that one time.

Leach won (barely) over #57 Bart Scott.
Harris #52 came in free to tackle Foster.
Old 08-04-2011   #65
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
LOL, silly me!
Foster only played the Jets that one time.

Leach won (barely) over #57 Bart Scott.
Harris #52 came in free to tackle Foster.
Lol. . . Ohhhhhhhhh no.

Leach got his ass handed to him on that one.
Old 08-04-2011   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I disagree again.

As a defender the last thing you want to do is force a runner outside. You are taught to force the runner back inside because that's where your help is coming from.

If you force the ball carrier outside then you are not using the inside pursuit. That's why ball carriers so often try to hit the sideline.

Arians cut and acceleration was sick. He was able to cut up the field before backside pursuit had a chance to get there.
As a general rule, yes!
But isn't it more important to get the runner to run parallel with the LOS?
Also, the general rule of the ZBS is downhill running first and foremost, isn't it?
With Foster going through the hole pretty much in a straight shot, by allowing him to continue on vertically, the defender (Branch) would give him (Foster) the whole field to work with.
Old 08-04-2011   #67
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Lol. . . Ohhhhhhhhh no.

I watched it again and I was slightly mistaken. Leach still got stood up and stopped at the goal line by #57 but he wasn't the one that almost kept foster out the ez.
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2011   #68
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Lol. . . Ohhhhhhhhh no.

Did you watch in on youtube?

The LOS was the two.
Leach was near the goal line.
Bart Scott was in the end zone.
Who won?
Old 08-04-2011   #69
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As a general rule, yes!
But isn't it more important to get the runner to run parallel with the LOS?
Also, the general rule of the ZBS is downhill running first and foremost, isn't it?
With Foster going through the hole pretty much in a straight shot, by allowing him to continue on vertically, the defender (Branch) would give him (Foster) the whole field to work with.
I don't think you're taking into account how fast things happen on the field. When you watch film it's easy to slow things down and watch things over and over again, and you start filling in the story with your own personal time frame.

As soon as the safety or lb on that side sees a run towards them they have to think outside in, while backside is thinking inside out/clean up duty.

So when the ball is hiked and the rb runs to the right the defender (lbs and safeties) is going to attack the blockers outside shoulder. That's basic fundamentals.

Even on a run off tackle or behind the guard, if the run is coming towards you attack the blockers outside shoulder.

What you are trying to do is close the hole off. Or not let the hole become even wider. It allows backside to fight over and make the play. If the rb tries to bounce you are in good position to make the play.

The safety was in a tough spot. He was on the outside of vonta, but he was not near strong enough to buck him and close the hole off and he knew it. So he attacked outside and tried to cross back over and make a play but he was not near quick enough.

A more physical safety could have played it better, but his inside pursuit was awful and the o line did a good job of picking everything up.
Old 08-04-2011   #70
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Did you watch in on youtube?

The LOS was the two.
Leach was near the goal line.
Bart Scott was in the end zone.
Who won?
Well we won that play because we scored. But I was just commenting on the over-hyped aspect of leach running through everybody. Any time you block your man it's a win, but again, leach didn't hammer anyone on that play. He got stood up and dropped.

He made his block, but he didnt steam roll on the goal line which is an aspect of his game that was largely hyped around here. He had an iso up on the lb. In a situation like that, for the money he wanted, he should have absolutely cleared that guy out.

Had Arian followed right behind his big fb, he would have found anything but a red carpet laid out.
Old 08-04-2011   #71
76Texan
Hall of Fame

At any rate, I'm not too concerned with a demolishing block.
An effective block is a great block.

Leach did well for the Texans, especially last year.
I just want to give him credit, that's all.

Foster did well on his own for the most part.
As long as the coach plan for opponents gearing to take away the cut back lane, our running game should be fine.
Old 08-04-2011   #72
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
At any rate, I'm not too concerned with a demolishing block.
An effective block is a great block.

Leach did well for the Texans, especially last year.
I just want to give him credit, that's all.

Foster did well on his own for the most part.
As long as the coach plan for opponents gearing to take away the cut back lane, our running game should be fine.
Leach was very good in his role. I think vickers has a chance to be better.

But regardless of who is the fb on the team I think Arian is the key piece. The o line gets a lot of credit too. They made some really good plays and they were really getting to the second and third level of the defense.

If I had to choose one piece of the running game to lose, it probably would have been vonta though. I think it should still go well with a competent fb in there.
Old 08-04-2011   #73
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I don't think you're taking into account how fast things happen on the field. When you watch film it's easy to slow things down and watch things over and over again, and you start filling in the story with your own personal time frame.

As soon as the safety or lb on that side sees a run towards them they have to think outside in, while backside is thinking inside out/clean up duty.

So when the ball is hiked and the rb runs to the right the defender (lbs and safeties) is going to attack the blockers outside shoulder. That's basic fundamentals.

Even on a run off tackle or behind the guard, if the run is coming towards you attack the blockers outside shoulder.

What you are trying to do is close the hole off. Or not let the hole become even wider. It allows backside to fight over and make the play. If the rb tries to bounce you are in good position to make the play.

The safety was in a tough spot. He was on the outside of vonta, but he was not near strong enough to buck him and close the hole off and he knew it. So he attacked outside and tried to cross back over and make a play but he was not near quick enough.

A more physical safety could have played it better, but his inside pursuit was awful and the o line did a good job of picking everything up.
I hear you very well.
Still, I think each situation is different.
Here, there was also the force man (the one who took on Dreessen) that Foster could have run into had he been forced to cut to the outside.

But since you took the time to go through all that, you can take this one.
I need to go to work early tomorrow, daggum it!
Old 08-04-2011   #74
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I hear you very well.
Still, I think each situation is different.
Here, there was also the force man (the one who took on Dreessen) that Foster could have run into had he been forced to cut to the outside.

But since you took the time to go through all that, you can take this one.
I need to go to work early tomorrow, daggum it!
Goodnight man. Good chattin!
Old 08-04-2011   #75
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Moat around here know that Leach was muh boy and I'm still kinda ticked he's gone. However, I completely understand why they allowed him to walk. As far as Vickers...meh, he's got a lot to prove imo. The only thing Leach never really had was versatility out of the backfield. Face it, defenses didn't care where Leach was going. lol.

If Vickers can come in and prove to me he can hand out slobber-knockers AND be a reliable option out of the backfield, then I'll feel better. Until then, eh, let Casey do work

*edit: I'm keeping my sig until someone other than the obvious skill players can earn his spot. ha
Old 08-04-2011   #76
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 32471 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
It took a bit of deleting, but I fixed the link for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhQeiBdFTfo
That music made my brain hurt!
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #77
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
That music made my brain hurt!
Yeah I would suggest watching that with the volume off. The music is awful IMO.
Old 08-04-2011   #78
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Ravens will be an 8-8 team this year. They lost too many secondary players and their offense will be pretty lame like always. Rely mostly on Rice to do all the work and hope Flacco doesn't throw away the game.
Old 08-04-2011   #79
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think the Ravens will be an 8-8 team this year. They lost too many secondary players and their offense will be pretty lame like always. Rely mostly on Rice to do all the work and hope Flacco doesn't throw away the game.
I'll bet ya a Happy Meal that they go at least 10-6.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #80
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'll bet ya a Happy Meal that they go at least 10-6.
Who is Flacco throwing to now?

EDIT: Boldin and Houshmanzadeh

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read