Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2011   #1
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default That cheapskate McNair!

Ok, can we agree to let that one go? Not interested in past;David Carr or Capers or Casserly or GM/HC stuff. Sure the season has to play out and there are no guarantees about anything.

Robert "Bob" McNair has stepped up his game. I am pumped! Now if the coaches can coach...
Old 08-03-2011   #2
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 120726 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: That cheapskate McNair!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Ok, can we agree to let that one go? Not interested in past;David Carr or Capers or Casserly or GM/HC stuff. Sure the season has to play out and there are no guarantees about anything.

Robert "Bob" McNair has stepped up his game. I am pumped! Now if the coaches can coach...
What do you mean "the past".....Billionaire Bob didn't pony up enough to get Aso!!
Old 08-03-2011   #3
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 26409 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

No.

One offseason is not a trend. He does it again, and then it'll be dropped.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
No.

He won't have a choice in 2013 and beyond. 90% of the current cap is 108 million, so if that's the floor in 2013, he will be forced to stay above that number. I really do wonder how that is going to work though, will teams way under the cap rework contracts for star players to pay them a bunch in one year to meet the minimum?
Old 08-03-2011   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I've always thought it was a silly and baseless reason to criticize McNair. He's got his faults but this isn't one of them.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #6
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No.

I'm not sure where the trend is re: the willingness to spend money.
It was never an issue, IMO, so there is not a cheapness trend to point to.

I'm surprised at how people confuse poor scouting, poor talent recognition, and poor personnel decisions with cheapness.

"We over paid Ahman Green"
"We over paid Eric Moulds"
"We over paid Antonio Smith"
etc...

"The Texans have to over pay good free agents to get them to come here"

There has been a consistent theme of people complaining about the Texans over paying for this or that, and the team is always up near the salary cap.

We have conversations every single year about how much room they have under the cap (usually not a lot)

I can't for the life of me figure out how that translates to cheapness.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No.

This ^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I've always thought it was a silly and baseless reason to criticize McNair. He's got his faults but this isn't one of them.

It could have possibly been that Rick Smith and Kubiak wanted to go after all kinds of free agents over the years, but Bob said no the majority of the time handicapping them of filling holes and improving the team through free agency. We'll never know 100%, but they all got the blame for 5 years of ineptitude.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2011   #8
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

McNair is not nearly over the cap enough. Scrooge!
Old 08-03-2011   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No.

This is valid.

What if we shed players and go back to turtling up?

Those guys are going to have to figure out how to keep Joseph, Manning, Vickers, Foster, Andre Johnson, Mario, Schaub, and a whole slew of tweeners like Cushing.

Granted, I know not all of their contracts expire at the same time...but still, they have to figure out how to structure things so that we keep what we have AND go after new players who hit free agency.

What if some of our guys are injured and can't return? What if DeMeco can't handle it anymore? What if Cushing's knee is worse than we know? What if Andre gets injured so badly that he's not the same AJ anymore?

What about a Schaub injury that renders him less than optimal strength?

Running back injuries or Arian demanding a trade to a bigger better team, just because he "can"?

So many things can happen, and these front office guys have got to play the free agency system and the draft with high degree of difficulty.

I will obviously shut up for now. But if this is just a vacation from reality, with us returning to our mundane Texans life a few seasons from now? Well, I guess every 10 years we get to have some fun around here.

Maybe BOTH sides should drop it?
Old 08-03-2011   #10
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19817 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

The salary cap is the salary cap, it's a fixed price. That's really Rick Smith's responsibility to manage for McNair and to get Kubes the players he needs within those parameters.

McNair pays the FO and coaching staff for which there isn't a cap. Kubiak is a highly paid coach.

So I have never understood the comments.
Old 08-03-2011   #11
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toan View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about.

I would come up with an intelligent rebuttal for this nonsense post, but michaelm has already beat me to it.

Texans fanbase, where delusion and contradiction resides.
Great rebuttal. Maybe you should just neg rep him and run instead like you did with me. That will really show him.

Bob's history of running a franchise and making decisions surely has given the fans the benefit of the doubt now hasn't it. But carry on though, I'd hate to interfere with your insults of the entire fan base.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Maybe BOTH sides should drop it?
Probably the best idea yet. This thread was certainly started to be a fire burner.
Old 08-03-2011   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I am bummed that Jacoby Jones was brought back.
Old 08-03-2011   #13
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 62368 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I never really thought he was cheap. That has never been my issue with him.

My issue has been the dumbass coaches who are too stubborn unless they know that this time, for real, like seriously, no for real, they will be fired if no playoffs or less than probably 11-5 without playoffs (or at least you would think but clearly Kubiak has 4 leaf clover DNA to still have his job).

Remember last year when Kareem was getting burnt/falling all over the field and all we heard was "we'll stick with what we've got" and all that other BS and they just kept sticking him out there, game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,game after game,...

Get my point. (Still so effing pissed about the SD game last year where some no namer Ajiritoutou or some such nonsense burned us up for 2 TD's and a career day!!!!!!!!)

So basically, I guess what I am saying is I want him to slide a little farther away from the plaid picnic table cover and basket and a little closer to a (dare I say) Jerra type......hear me out before you go ape shit. I'm not saying become Jerra, but having a little of that in you may not be bad.

Also the whole "character" only guys is getting old too.

Just IMO.

Dormant bodies bursting!
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #14
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 118233 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

You can blame McNair for his choices of FO personel, but calling him cheap has been ridiculous. Sure, we've sucked but have always been bumping the max of the cap. McNair has never been a Jerry Jones type owner that sticks his face in decisions that are usually left up to GMs and coach's. He pays Smith and crew to do their job and has always ponied up the cabbage when asked. Now, I'm sure he has final say in big money. But since we've been up against the cap year in year out I reckon he's said yes a majority of the time

Personel decisions have not been very good, period.

*This is going to be my only comment on this subject since we now have football....unless I'm challenged by someone I care to discuss with
Old 08-03-2011   #15
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2002 - 5th highest payroll
2003 - 16th highest payroll
2004 - 3rd highest payroll
2005 - 16th highest payroll
2006 - 7th highest payroll
2007 - 22nd highest payroll
2008 - 22nd highest payroll
2009 - 3rd highest payroll
2010 - ???
2011 - ???
http://content.usatoday.com/sportsda.../salaries/team

Not sure 2010's numbers. And we're one of seven teams over the cap for 2011 so.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It could have possibly been that Rick Smith and Kubiak wanted to go after all kinds of free agents over the years, but Bob said no the majority of the time handicapping them of filling holes and improving the team through free agency. We'll never know 100%, but they all got the blame for 5 years of ineptitude.
McNair could have said no all he wanted but the fact still remains that we've had some of the highest payrolls during our existence. I'd argue that when the regime changed in 2006 he did make a concerted effort to spend wisely. Not cheaply. We had tons of bad signings that led to dead money. 2006, 2007, 2008 was used to help clear some of that and get the team healthy. We've been in good situations financial the last few years because of that prudence, not cheapness. Let's not confuse the two.

What are the thoughts on extending the contracts recently of Andre Johnson, Demeco Ryans and Owen Daniels. Each making them near the highest paid at their respective positions? Keeping Schaub and paying his $10 Million bonus. Bringing in Wade Phillips and making him the highest paid DC in the league...
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

This is like the blind squirrel talking massive shit to the other squirrels when he finally finds a nut.

Congrats. Go find another one now.
Old 08-03-2011   #17
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This is like the blind squirrel talking massive shit to the other squirrels when he finally finds a nut.

Congrats. Go find another one now.
Funniest Blind Squirrel reference ever man. Wish I could rep ya, but I did yesterday.
Old 08-03-2011   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Great rebuttal. Maybe you should just neg rep him and run instead like you did with me. That will really show him.

Bob's history of running a franchise and making decisions surely has given the fans the benefit of the doubt now hasn't it. But carry on though, I'd hate to interfere with your insults of the entire fan base.

Probably the best idea yet. This thread was certainly started to be a fire burner.
Actually, Texecutioner, I was hoping all would mumble a bit, say good job but prove your player/coaching decisions were good ones and then go back to football. I am a bit naive.
Old 08-03-2011   #19
FirstTexansFan
The Unknown Fan

Rep Power: 29448 FirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respectedFirstTexansFan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to FirstTexansFan

Quote:
Funniest Blind Squirrel reference ever man. Wish I could rep ya, but I did yesterday.
I got him for ya, and added to yours for the guy neg rep'ing you... My rep power rules!
Dread-Head's #1 Fan, Because He Hates The Cowboys As Much As Me!
FirstTexansFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #20
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Actually, Texecutioner, I was hoping all would mumble a bit, say good job but prove your player/coaching decisions were good ones and then go back to football. I am a bit naive.
I don't take you for a trouble maker or anything. Not really your style, but you should have known what kind of potential this one had. No big deal. Hopefully, this season is the big start in the right direction and next year the trend can continue.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read