Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2011   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans are $8.5 million over the salary cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I wore my delete button out trying to respond to this. %&&%$## family friendly MB's!!!
Mario counts $16 million against the cap this year. Based on his 5 years in the NFL, we have a 40% chance that he will perform on par with the second tier of NFL outside pass rushers (Ray Edwards, Charles Johnson, Robert Mathis, Trent Cole). We have a 60% chance that he will have three or four really good games and we will wonder why he looks so disinterested the rest of the season. Entering his sixth season, he has yet to be an elite DE for more than an occasional game. So, I don't like the odds of him doing it this year. Perhaps, though, he is an Albert Haynesworth type player and he'll turn on the effort now that he's playing for another contract.
Old 08-03-2011   #22
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Mario counts $16 million against the cap this year. Based on his 5 years in the NFL, we have a 40% chance that he will perform on par with the second tier of NFL outside pass rushers (Ray Edwards, Charles Johnson, Robert Mathis, Trent Cole). We have a 60% chance that he will have three or four really good games and we will wonder why he looks so disinterested the rest of the season. Entering his sixth season, he has yet to be an elite DE for more than an occasional game. So, I don't like the odds of him doing it this year. Perhaps, though, he is an Albert Haynesworth type player and he'll turn on the effort now that he's playing for another contract.
Sigh... you should become a Titans fan. Unless the Saints are willing to go all Ricky Williams over him, a normal person would say hell no. He's top 7 in sacks, top 2-3 at DE in sacks and very good against the run since he's been in the league. You don;t go traging that away for cap reasons unless MW has made it plain as day that he won;t restructure. For crying out loud, you make it seem like we have Bilichek and Parcells coaching and running the FO instead of Laurel and Hardy. From past experience, we'll announce MW can seek a trade then release him 3 days later. Woohoo. There's some cap savings in that. For whoever picks him up.
Old 08-03-2011   #23
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 90089 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quit trying to parlay this angle into something that could feasibly happen because it won't.

There is absolutely no way that Mario Williams will be cut during contract restructures and I will gladly take pictures of me eating a hat if it does happen. You either cannot possibly believe this or you have a dealer with better stuff than I do (And I don't think that is the case at all).

EDIT: Also, trying to put percentages behind your wild ass predictions does not give them any credence whatsoever.
Old 08-03-2011   #24
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Glover was on the radio earlier today.

He said that the way they used to play in the secondary made it hard on the d line. He said qb's didn't have to hold onto the ball for long and often times had a good idea of where they wanted to go with the ball pre snap.

He blamed it on the way they were taught in the secondary. They used to consistently roll their coverage the same way.

In the new defense they will use the split safety look a lot more often and qb's will not know who is free and who is strong on any given play. He said that should make them hold onto the ball a bit longer and cause more confusion with their reads.

Mario may not make big plays every game, but no de does. Not exactly sure what you're saying with that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #25
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Quit trying to parlay this angle into something that could feasibly happen because it won't.

There is absolutely no way that Mario Williams will be cut during contract restructures and I will gladly take pictures of me eating a hat if it does happen. You either cannot possibly believe this or you have a dealer with better stuff than I do (And I don't think that is the case at all).

EDIT: Also, trying to put percentages behind your wild ass predictions does not give them any credence whatsoever.
You mean percentages like there's a 99% chance he's talking out his ..... LOL
Old 08-04-2011   #26
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 115066 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans $8.5 million over the cap

According to Peter King - even though the CBA should be ratified tomorrow, and the new league year will begin at 3:00 P.M. C.S.T. (meaning everyone will be able to practice after that), there will be another 24 hours for teams to get under the cap.

Quote:
Peter King of Sports Illustrated adds that all teams received an email that the 2011 league year will begin no later than 4pm ET on Thursday. King adds that teams must be under the $120.4 million salary cap by 4pm ET on
Friday.
LINK
Old 08-04-2011   #27
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82308 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post

40% = 2/5 very good seasons he had ('07, '08)
60% = 3/5 seasons where he had average to solid seasons but often seemed disinterested ('06, '09, '10)

I didn't make the numbers up. I said, "based on his 5 year career... this is what we can expect".

Also, I don't think he'll be cut. I was pointing out that he is the reason why we are up against the cap. The Texans could fix it by giving him another contract but I don't think they want him for another 6 years.
Old 08-04-2011   #28
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 126475 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
40% = 2/5 very good seasons he had ('07, '08)
60% = 3/5 seasons where he had average to solid seasons but often seemed disinterested ('06, '09, '10)

I didn't make the numbers up. I said, "based on his 5 year career... this is what we can expect".

Also, I don't think he'll be cut. I was pointing out that he is the reason why we are up against the cap. The Texans could fix it by giving him another contract but I don't think they want him for another 6 years.
Besides one season wonders like Babin, there arent a WHOLE LOT of consistent DEs out there, his size and speed make him deadly. And he is in his prime, we dont need to become like the Astros.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #29
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

So the Raiders are the highest paid team in the NFL...

Is that just cap/contract mismanagement?
Old 08-04-2011   #30
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
So the Raiders are the highest paid team in the NFL...

Is that just cap/contract mismanagement?
They gave Stanford Rout 30 mill over 3 years. Worst contract made this offseason.
Old 08-04-2011   #31
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 158369 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
I was hoping they would be under a little and use what is left over for a bonus for Foster, the most underpaid in the NFL. Remember the whole AJ underpaid contract that was redone a few years ago, Ha, Foster brings the term underpaid to a whole new level. If he has another huge year it looks like we will not have the money for him next year.
Not really a valid comparison for AJ vs. Foster. AJ was getting paid 'decent' $$ for a 1st Rd. pick, but just had a bad agent. Foster making at/near the league minimum as an UDFA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoMan View Post
Looks like the Texans are $8.5 million over the cap. Surely no one can accuse the Texans of being unwilling to open their checkbook this year.
Apparently Rick Smith intends to address this problem by trying to renegotiate some contracts. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.
Nope, Bob didn't go cheap this year, that's for sure. For the record though, does anyone else ever remember the Texans having to re-structure contracts to get under the cap BEFORE this year?
Old 08-04-2011   #32
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 379526 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
As of this morning, there are five teams over the salary cap: OAK $15.25 mil; PITT $8.5m; DET $7.8m; DALLAS $6.7m: HOUSTON $3.25m.
Old 08-04-2011   #33
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 13154 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

All this cap talk has me even happier we picked up Joseph over Aso.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #34
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
As of this morning, there are five teams over the salary cap: OAK $15.25 mil; PITT $8.5m; DET $7.8m; DALLAS $6.7m: HOUSTON $3.25m.
I'm now wondering who they already worked with. 3.25 million seems like an easier # to work with today.
Old 08-04-2011   #35
Malloy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13071 Malloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respectedMalloy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
I'm now wondering who they already worked with. 3.25 million seems like an easier # to work with today.
I'm curious as to who restructured.
Old 08-04-2011   #36
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 282867 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
I was pointing out that he is the reason why we are up against the cap.
LOL, yeah. Just accept that you're a freakin' off the deep end lunatic about this issue and stop trying to convince the rest of us. Believe what you want, but we ain't buying it.
Old 08-04-2011   #37
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

They are already down to 3.25 million without cutting anyone. Great.
Old 08-04-2011   #38
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
LOL, yeah. Just accept that you're a freakin' off the deep end lunatic about this issue and stop trying to convince the rest of us. Believe what you want, but we ain't buying it.
Cap = $120 million
Mario's cap # = $16 million
next 50 players = $110 million

What is to convince?
Old 08-04-2011   #39
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Cap = $120 million
Mario's cap # = $16 million
next 50 players = $110 million

What is to convince?
That out of the next 50 players, maybe 4 are anywhere near on a par with MW. This kind of stuff is OK for the Pats to do because they have an absolute genuis for a HC. We don't have that luxury. The Steelers do it on a routine basis also, but they have the depth to do that. Our team depth wouldn't qualify as one of those blue kiddie pools at Wal-Mart.
Old 08-04-2011   #40
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
In the new defense they will use the split safety look a lot more often and qb's will not know who is free and who is strong on any given play. He said that should make them hold onto the ball a bit longer and cause more confusion with their reads.
Wow, in another thread I had said the same thing (but was wondering if I was right or wrong).

I had said that in the 3-4 our safeties will mix it up and the SS will sometimes play a FS role and vice versa...which complicates pre-snap calls by the QB and delays a QB during the play from being able to know which Safety is doing a certain role on that play.

All in all, offenses won't be able to dial up a play and know with certainty that the WR will be open on that play before the ball's even snapped.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read