Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2011   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Williams begins transition to OLB (story FSH)

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/08/0...97&feedID=3551
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #2
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams begins transition to OLB (story FSH)

This is all very interesting stuff, thanks for the post. I have long been wondering what Mario's attitude towards this would be. I wasn't sure if he would be hugely in to it, or if he would just bide his time until he got traded or his contract was up. I don't think its settled by any means, but he sure does seem to have a good attitude about it.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm really looking forward to preseason games. How much will the starting D play in these games and how much can we glean from them?
Old 08-01-2011   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72199 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Of course he's happy with it. I'm more concerned about how Antonio Smith feels about it, not that that would have stopped me from changing it either.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #5
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm really looking forward to preseason games. How much will the starting D play in these games and how much can we glean from them?
Based on past history:

For the first game, starting D will play 2-3 series, depending on how long they are on the field. The young players will stay in longer. 2nd game probably a series or 2 more. 3rd game they'll play 3 quarters. The fourth they'll play 0-1 series. The younger, more inexperienced guys (Watt, Reed, Mitchell, maybe Kareem) will most likely play with the 2nd unit as well.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Mario has bought into Wade's whisperings that Williams could be among NFL sack leaders in a contract year. That's better than chocolate ice cream. Texans sitting in driver's seat imo. Even though he is a huge cap hit, he is either worth it or we can not re-sign him opening a lot of cap space. The choice of keeping him or trading him during the season is intriguing to me. What is cool is when I threaded a trade of Mario a couple years ago, few sided with me sort of like when I suggested Asomugha would look good in Steel Blue and got clobbered. Man what a turn around on that one.

Then there was the thread about Kareem Jackson & I almost had to get first aid for all knives thrown & then the season proved me right.

Why I am excited:
Mario should have great season. KJ should be much better. No Aso but JJ amd Manning...

Just mark what I say about Corners Brandon Harris and Rock Carmichael both should be long time solid players.
Old 08-01-2011   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just glad to hear how Mario wants to play OLB. To me it sounds like he knows he's going to be a monster this year. There's a confidence in his voice that wasn't there in years before.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2011   #8
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Based on past history:

For the first game, starting D will play 2-3 series, depending on how long they are on the field. The young players will stay in longer. 2nd game probably a series or 2 more. 3rd game they'll play 3 quarters. The fourth they'll play 0-1 series. The younger, more inexperienced guys (Watt, Reed, Mitchell, maybe Kareem) will most likely play with the 2nd unit as well.
I think the starting D could stay out there longer due to lost time. Maybe 5-6 series or the first quarter and some change. Were behind time

I'm also not too shocked Mario has bought in. Some question his heart, but he is a team player and isn't a guy to ***** and moan.
Old 08-01-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72000 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Based on past history:

I find it hard to base this preseason based on previous ones due to the fact that we've never had an offseason like this. I expect to see the D for a longer period each preseason game because that will be the best chance to evaluate where the starting D is.
Old 08-01-2011   #10
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 187579 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only one with this nagging concern that "uh-oh, now Mario is going to have to be thinking instead of purely reacting."

Not saying that Mario isn't intelligent enough to pick up his new position. Not at all. It's just that when, off the snap, he's thinking "is this where I should be?" instead of knowing what he should be doing, reading the play, and reacting out of reflex - no thought process necessary. That uncertainty - which should diminish with each snap - will give the offense a slight edge.

maybe I'm over-analyzing... but playing a new spot + having no OTAs to make this adjustment = ???
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
I think the starting D could stay out there longer due to lost time. Maybe 5-6 series or the first quarter and some change. Were behind time

I'm also not too shocked Mario has bought in. Some question his heart, but he is a team player and isn't a guy to ***** and moan.
I agree with this. Mario isn't much more vocal than AJ, if at all. I would think MW is looking at this like a kid in a candy store and QB is his favorite flavor.
Old 08-01-2011   #12
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Am I the only one with this nagging concern that "uh-oh, now Mario is going to have to be thinking instead of purely reacting."

Not saying that Mario isn't intelligent enough to pick up his new position. Not at all. It's just that when, off the snap, he's thinking "is this where I should be?" instead of knowing what he should be doing, reading the play, and reacting out of reflex - no thought process necessary. That uncertainty - which should diminish with each snap - will give the offense a slight edge.

maybe I'm over-analyzing... but playing a new spot + having no OTAs to make this adjustment = ???
For me it's just the opposite. I think he's not going to have to think except for how hard he's about to hit the QB!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:

How much thought has to go into "sic 'em"?
Old 08-01-2011   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I actually expect this to be less thought for him. His run stopping reads are going to be greatly diminished. And remember, we played a lot of zone blitzes where we put him into zone coverage the past few years.

I think he's going to take to this pretty quickly.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #15
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think that making Mario do some thinking is going to be a good thing. His bull-rush the LT to get to the QB was starting to get pretty stale IMO. Maybe he can develop more then one move by getting his brain engaged again, especially now that we have a decent teacher for him.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #16
MEGA SWATT
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15515 MEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respectedMEGA SWATT is a quality contributor and well respected

great read. thx
MEGA SWATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #17
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 77871 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Solid post srrono. Indeed it sounds like Mario is digging the move and will put forth all the effort it takes to excel.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #18
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

I read someplace in just the last day or 2 that Mario is still playing @ 285 !
That's not good, he's way too big at that size to play OLB, I thought he'd be atleast 10 lbs lighter than that weight by now ? You know Mario isn't really a particularly quick pass-rushing DE, so he's really got to lose some lbs to have the quicks to be even a moderately quick 3-4 OLB.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #19
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I guess I'm the only one that is wondering if this move was made to make Mario happy. When Philips first got here all the talk was about how Mario was going to be the next Bruce Smith. Never read anything that said Mario was buying into that. In fact I remember seeing an interview with him where he didn't look at all happy about it.

All the sudden out of the blue to the shock of everyone Phillips announces the move? It just sounds fishy the way it all played out.
Old 08-02-2011   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I guess I'm the only one that is wondering if this move was made to make Mario happy. When Philips first got here all the talk was about how Mario was going to be the next Bruce Smith. Never read anything that said Mario was buying into that. In fact I remember seeing an interview with him where he didn't look at all happy about it.

All the sudden out of the blue to the shock of everyone Phillips announces the move? It just sounds fishy the way it all played out.
That's a valid question, but after thinking it over for a second, I decided I don't really care one way or the other. If putting your best defensive player in position to make a lot of sacks will make him happy, and get him fired up, go for it, I say.
Mario appears to be more motivated than I've seen since he came into the league to me.

That's a good thing, if you're not an opposing QB.

And I don't say any of this lightly. I'm on record as saying that I don't think OLB is Mario's best fit. I have to admit that I'm encouraged from what I've seen so far.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read