Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-08-2011   #161
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 111168 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Latest Lombardi Anti-Texans Comments

I'm just gonna say this... There is a difference between "soft" and "sucking"!!! Does anyone think Bernard Pollard was 'soft'"??? Or did he just suck in coverage???? I'm leaning towards the "latter" NOT the "former"!!!

As far as Lombardi, he's not that far off, but on the otherhand he has to rely on sorta a national perception of the Texans and I can understand that........ That said, don't tell me for a minute that Ryans, Smith, Cushing or Mario are "soft"... I'm pretty sure that the new additions of J. Joseph or D Manning with a new "D" coordinator won't toughen that "D" up!!!?!???!?

11-5 / 12-4!!!! SERIOUSLY... The bulk of the losses are through the first 4 to 6 weeks..
Old 08-09-2011   #162
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Wow. I can only say that you must not pay much attention to what I say then.
Apparently that's a two way street.

Quote:
I can't sit here and just endlessly bash this team, DB. If you want to buy into Lomtardy's comments and laugh at your own team, then go right ahead. I put down my haterade the day we signed a S/CB combo that was the sort of thing I have been bitching about for a long, long time. Everybody's been wanting it. Not a rookie draftee. No, a veteran Safety and a veteran Cornerback. We even found a way to make three guys re-structure so we could add a more than competent FB for Foster to run behind.
I don't drink "hatorade" or "koolaide". And that is a fundamental difference between you and I as fans. I don't ride waves. I watch and analyze and form my own conclusions based on history and trends, not just within the Texans world but as an NFL fan.

I'm as optimistic about the Texans as I've been in years, but that optimism does not come with a set of blinders.

My point about Lombardi was not to argue for or against his opinions. I don't get butthurt when someone doesn't like my team.

Quote:
Eric is targeted here, by Lomtardy, because he knows Eric is vocal in the media and he knows he's game for a verbal war. If anything, Lomtardy is showing that he has to bait and goad a vocal guy with the Texans in order to get airtime on The View.
Winston is a target because he made himself a target. He's playing both sides against the middle by acting like a media figure on one hand (very well documented) and being a player on the other.

Do you understand why Lombardi targeted Winston? Eric went on national tv on a couple of shows to defend the new pads rule, even going so far as to say half the teams in the NFL, including the Packers, do not practice twice a day in pads.

In his own words, HOW DOES HE KNOW? DOES HE GO TO ALL THESE TEAMS' PRACTICES?

Do you see his hypocrisy? He put himself out there and then cops out when called to the carpet.

I never said he was soft. Look at my words. I said I can understand why someone sees the TEAM as soft. It's in our history of never dominating good teams. Crying about history is just silly. It is what it is.

Quote:
Lomtardy comes around making fun of the Texans and I'm supposed to be a sad sack and agree with it? I don't agree with it. I think the only asshole who's been holding this team back is the guy who owns it. And even HE decided to stop being an asshole and get busy building a defense equal to the competent offense that was built over the past four years. Slow golf clap for Bob McNair, he just might have finally figured it out. Only took him five years, but hey...good job, Bob.
And here is another fundamental difference between us. You see an analyst "making fun" of the Texans, but I see an honest assessment that I am free to agree or disagree with.

"Making fun" would be what you do when you don't agree with someone. I do not see the "fun" in a media figure giving opinions about 1 of 32 teams that he has to cover. It's his JOB and he'd look like a dumbass and lose all credibility if he was talking up the Texans as being tough. Is it that hard to comprehend to you?

Quote:
FOR THAT, I'm sorry to say that I must lay down the ***** stick and stop whacking at the Texans pinata. My bad for not being there to back up your assertions. Sue me.

I've supported everything else you've said and we've rubber stamped each other's gripes for a long time, but I'm just realizing that football is here again and I want to see if McNair can prove us wrong.

Go have a cookie and pet a puppy or something.

Here:

"We suck."

"We're soft."

"Lombardi is right. We're losers."

"I won't get excited and expect success until it happens, that way I can't be made out to be a fool for believing in such a sucky, soft team like Houston."

What the hell else can I do for you, man? What the hell do I owe you? Nothing.
See, here is YOU "making fun". You don't agree with my perspective, so you start going the route of the emo kid. Waaah. I won't take your cookie or your puppy. You obviously need these tools for your therapy.

"Lomtardy" ??? For real? Do you honestly expect to be taken seriously when you start using 6th grade humor? What does it even supposed to mean?

What's funny is that if the team doesn't live up to your expectations, you'll be the first to write 5000 word dissertations on everything wrong with the entire organization.

c'mon, you know it's true!

Quote:
Meanwhile back on planet earth.......NFL players like to voice their opinions when they're called out as being a bunch of weenies by a flabby no-name on a TV show.
When NFL players sit in a radio booth and act like analysts, they should be more thick skinned about the reactions they get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Sometimes folks confuse physicality with toughness. Real toughness is mostly mental.
QFT. Well said man. This is apparently incomprehensible to folks living a in a koolaide high.
Old 08-09-2011   #163
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 51315 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
I'm just gonna say this... There is a difference between "soft" and "sucking"!!!
From general experience those two things hardly ever go together.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #164
Vinnie
with an I E

Section: 506, best section in the 500's!
Rep Power: 9714 Vinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respectedVinnie is a quality contributor and well respected

DB, I agree with most of what you're saying except I'd stop short of calling Winston a hypocrite. He is the player union rep for the Texans and as such is in contact with the other player reps around the league. Working conditions such as practices are exactly the types of things those guys discuss together. That's part of their job as union reps. Does he attend all the other training camps? Of course not, but between the two of them (Lombardi & Winston) I'd venture to guess Eric has a much firmer grasp on what other teams are doing practice wise than Mike.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #165
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
DB, I agree with most of what you're saying except I'd stop short of calling Winston a hypocrite. He is the player union rep for the Texans and as such is in contact with the other player reps around the league. Working conditions such as practices are exactly the types of things those guys discuss together. That's part of their job as union reps. Does he attend all the other training camps? Of course not, but between the two of them (Lombardi & Winston) I'd venture to guess Eric has a much firmer grasp on what other teams are doing practice wise than Mike.
Actually, D-Ryans is our player rep. Winston's the back up.
Old 08-09-2011   #166
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi's just a guy calling it like he sees it.

I think the O-Line got a little more physical last year, but it's not like the Texans have turned a "toughness corner" yet.

Overall, the team hasn't shaken the "soft" label yet.....which is why I don't think Winston would make the same comments again if given the opportunity.

I sure hope the team is as fired up about this as the fans are.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #167
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 313912 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
That's cool, man. I like Winston, so it's not a vendetta against the guy. I enjoy his media presence.

A lot of current and formers plays, as well as coaches, completely disagree with Winston about the effectiveness of more padded practices versus less. The proof of each perspective will be played out in the coming years. It'll definitely be a topic of interest for many seasons to come.
Old 08-09-2011   #168
Mr. White
H-Town Beatdown

Rep Power: 18101 Mr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. White is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I don't drink "hatorade" or "koolaide". And that is a fundamental difference between you and I as fans. I don't ride waves. I watch and analyze and form my own conclusions based on history and trends, not just within the Texans world but as an NFL fan.

I'm as optimistic about the Texans as I've been in years, but that optimism does not come with a set of blinders.

My point about Lombardi was not to argue for or against his opinions. I don't get butthurt when someone doesn't like my team.

Winston is a target because he made himself a target. He's playing both sides against the middle by acting like a media figure on one hand (very well documented) and being a player on the other.

Do you understand why Lombardi targeted Winston? Eric went on national tv on a couple of shows to defend the new pads rule, even going so far as to say half the teams in the NFL, including the Packers, do not practice twice a day in pads.

Do you see his hypocrisy? He put himself out there and then cops out when called to the carpet.

I never said he was soft. Look at my words. I said I can understand why someone sees the TEAM as soft. It's in our history of never dominating good teams. Crying about history is just silly. It is what it is.

And here is another fundamental difference between us. You see an analyst "making fun" of the Texans, but I see an honest assessment that I am free to agree or disagree with.

"Making fun" would be what you do when you don't agree with someone. I do not see the "fun" in a media figure giving opinions about 1 of 32 teams that he has to cover. It's his JOB and he'd look like a dumbass and lose all credibility if he was talking up the Texans as being tough. Is it that hard to comprehend to you?

See, here is YOU "making fun". You don't agree with my perspective, so you start going the route of the emo kid. Waaah. I won't take your cookie or your puppy. You obviously need these tools for your therapy.

"Lomtardy" ??? For real? Do you honestly expect to be taken seriously when you start using 6th grade humor? What does it even supposed to mean?

What's funny is that if the team doesn't live up to your expectations, you'll be the first to write 5000 word dissertations on everything wrong with the entire organization.

When NFL players sit in a radio booth and act like analysts, they should be more thick skinned about the reactions they get.

QFT. Well said man. This is apparently incomprehensible to folks living a in a koolaide high.
Agreed like always, brutha. Must spread rep.
We b trippin with Nelly. Me and Mr Dancing With the Stars Warren Sapp.
Mr. White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #169
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't much care what Lombardi says.

Teams that pass a lot (and well) are generally seen as soft, finesse types of teams. Teams that run the zone blocking system are generally seen as soft, finesse types of teams. Teams with bad defenses are seen as soft, finesse types of teams.

Lombardi's big mistake is his belief that you have to be a hard/smash-mouth team to win a Super Bowl or to be successful. And so he twists himself into a pretzel with stuff like the Saints WERE soft and then the year they won the SB, they weren't. The Colts were soft and then the year they won the SB, they weren't.

We are what we are.

Last year, we were a 6-10 team. 6-10 teams aren't "not" soft.

The only way we become not-soft in Lombardi's eyes if we win the SB.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #170
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

I wish more media members would question our toughness, desire, heart physicality or whatever so Maybe it would light a fire under some of our guys. We definitely don't have enough guys on this team that refuse to loose. We need more of all the above. We need guys that come out of the tunnel (first half) ready to destroy the other team.

We need to develop a personality. one where we don't just play games to win but we play with an attitude that we aren't only going to win but we are going to dominate and embarrass the other team and no matter what, we aren't going to loose.
Old 08-09-2011   #171
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I wish more media members would question our toughness, desire, heart physicality or whatever so Maybe it would light a fire under some of our guys. We definitely don't have enough guys on this team that refuse to loose. We need more of all the above. We need guys that come out of the tunnel (first half) ready to destroy the other team.

We need to develop a personality. one where we don't just play games to win but we play with an attitude that we aren't only going to win but we are going to dominate and embarrass the other team and no matter what, we aren't going to loose.
From what I'm hearing from our very own observers as well as those from the local media we have at least one of those guys. He wears #99 and his name is JJ Watt(No "s"). The reports about this stud are making my ears hard. Sounds like the FO hit a home run right here. Can't wait to see JJ shreading O linemen!

As much as I wanted to restrain my enthusiasm and have a "Prove it to me" attitude, this guy is sounding like exactly what we needed. Can't wait to see him and the rest of the crew coming together. I, like some others have posted, feel really good about this draft.

I feel better about our team than I have in quite some time.

Does that make me a ?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #172
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 9340 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
I hate it when we loose!
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011   #173
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just going to hang 'em up on this topic.

All I have done is said that Lombardi is mis-identifying the problem, and that he's gaining traction on something that sounds suave and intellectual...but has no gas in the tank or legs to stand upon.

I don't think these guys are soft. And if one of them, or more, feel the need to respond to a guy in a suit on a studio somewhere, then that's their choice and THAT, as well, does not make them soft for doing it.

The end. (For me, at least). Others can carry on if they wish.
Old 08-09-2011   #174
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

I want to see the Texans thoroughly dominate the Colts in the first game with a 'refuse to lose' mentality
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #175
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 233666 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
I don't much care what Lombardi says.

Teams that pass a lot (and well) are generally seen as soft, finesse types of teams. Teams that run the zone blocking system are generally seen as soft, finesse types of teams. Teams with bad defenses are seen as soft, finesse types of teams.

Lombardi's big mistake is his belief that you have to be a hard/smash-mouth team to win a Super Bowl or to be successful.
See, I didn't take his comments to mean that at all.

It is obvious Winston & several others have.

When he said we were soft, I'm thinking back to 2009, we had the game well in hand, then with no time left on the clock, we let Maurice Jones Drew hop-skip & waltz down the field & cap it off to do a freaky little shiver of a dance in the endzone.

When we need a score, we don't get it. When we need a stop.... 3 & 19 does that sound familiar to anyone.
Old 08-10-2011   #176
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 251410 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
See, I didn't take his comments to mean that at all.

It is obvious Winston & several others have.

When he said we were soft, I'm thinking back to 2009, we had the game well in hand, then with no time left on the clock, we let Maurice Jones Drew hop-skip & waltz down the field & cap it off to do a freaky little shiver of a dance in the endzone.

When we need a score, we don't get it. When we need a stop.... 3 & 19 does that sound familiar to anyone.
Except that Lombardi specifically said teams that run the ZBS are soft and it doesn't matter if they win the rushing title. Lombardi said that teams that pass a lot like we have are soft and teams like that don't win the Super Bowl.

If he was just talking about the defense not being able to shut out games, I'd agree with him totally. But he's saying we're soft because of our offense as much as because of our defense.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #177
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
Lombardi's just a guy calling it like he sees it.

I think the O-Line got a little more physical last year, but it's not like the Texans have turned a "toughness corner" yet.

Overall, the team hasn't shaken the "soft" label yet.....which is why I don't think Winston would make the same comments again if given the opportunity.

I sure hope the team is as fired up about this as the fans are.
Not calling out anybody but. . .

The more games the Texans win, the less retarded "labels" get applied to them. That's it, when you don't win, people call you all sorts of shit that is and isn't true, and they don't even have to back it up because they just point to the record as though it gives them carte blanche to just call the Texans whatever they feel like.

Unfortunately nobody wins the offseason or the preseason, so these circular argument will go on and on until the Texans prove on the field that they are or are not soft. To me though, everybody is using the word "soft" to mask what they really mean, which is "not good".
Old 08-10-2011   #178
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

I agree with 100% of this message. This message has been approved by HF

I'm not sure why people are peeved at Lombardi. Rex Ryan called the Texans soft and that is how they prepared before playing them. Most hard nosed 3-4 type teams have taken it to the Texans. I think alot of the stigma isn't exactly "look how badass we are" but "do you start games punching a guy in the mouth and then do it for 4 quarters." When is the last time the Texans punched a team in the mouth, much less played a full 4 quarters? Most here have used the soft label before. From Gary in his pressers to McNair's comments last season, the "aura" is that of a very nice group of people who won't punch in the face. Not hating, that has just been the reality. As for Winston...I've already let loose on that guy. Not my favorite when it comes to being all things media, all the time..especially for an average/above average lineman.I actually think the Cushing pick and now the Watt pick are because the coaches know that soft is the stigma.

Last edited by HoustonFrog; 08-10-2011 at 10:29 AM.
HoustonFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #179
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13331 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
I agree with 100% of this message. This message has been approved by HF

I'm not sure why people are peeved at Lombardi. Rex Ryan called the Texans soft and that is how they prepared before playing them. Most hard nosed 3-4 type teams have taken it to the Texans. I think alot of the stigma isn't exactly "look how badass we are" but "do you start games punching a guy in the mouth and then do it for 4 quarters." When is the last time the Texans punched a team in the moth, much less played a full 4 quarters? Most here have used the soft label before. From Gary in his pressers to McNair's comments last season, the "aura" is that of a very nice group of people who won't punch in the face. Not hating, that has just been the reality. As for Winston...I've already let loose on that guy. Not my favorite when it comes to being all things media, all the time..especially for an average/above average lineman.I actually think the Cushing pick and now the Watt pick are because the coaches know that soft is the stigma.
Can't argue that but we also haven't played any Moths.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011   #180
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 94228 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
Sometimes folks confuse physicality with toughness. Real toughness is mostly mental.
Texans players must be mentally tough, otherwise we'd have had about 20 player suicides last year.
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read