Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-05-2011   #141
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Latest Lombardi Anti-Texans Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I caught some until I couldn't listen any more.

The logic was this:
You can't win a super bowl if you're soft.
Ergo
The Texans are soft.

They tried to pin him down on what he meant, and it was basically their coaches aren't Parcells or Ryan, they have bad line play, and their offensive linemen are small. Well, duh.

Lombardi has always rubbed me the wrong way. If he's such a good talent evaluator, why isn't he still in the NFL? Even Casserly got a second chance. Just because you're opinionated and sound good on TV doesn't make you a good analyst.

This whole thing strikes me as ridiculous. If they win, they won't be soft. If they lose they'll be soft. It's weak and poor analysis.
Oddly enough, Martyball was considered some of the toughest in the league, and while Schottenheimer had very good teams, they never, ever won a Super Bowl.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #142
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Keith bullock called us soft before too.

I thought about it and what would make a player call a team soft, and I think it boils down to in between the tackles. If you consistently win battles on both sides of the line in the trenches you will never be considered soft. Whereas if you are bullied down there even a few times, that soft image will be hard to shake.

Traditionally that has been a bit of a struggle for us.

And I thought about the fact that winning teams or in this case a portion of a team has won AND been called soft. That is the colts. Even though they have consistently won a lot of games, their d line has been considered soft at certain points.

Basically if the texans lines win a lot more battles collectively, I think the soft label that some give us will disappear.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #143
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Bob doesn't play the game. I'm not even sure what your post is trying to say, to be honest.
Bob doesn't play the game? Shocker.

But he fields the team. He puts it out there. No need to marginalize the impact of the owner in a pro sports league. Mark Cuban could have imploded his Mavericks had he thought his squad of old guys wasn't cutting it, but he held onto them because he felt they were almost there--And they got there, indeed!

Owners impact the team. Owners sign the checks, they damn sure have direct control of operations. Am I to sit here and believe that Bob is out shopping for antiques with his wife while only Gary and Rick run the show without him? That's not how it happens. If Bob wants to retain David Carr for an extra year, he will. If he wants to retain Dunta Robinson for an extra year, he will. He will stick his nose into the mix where and when he wants to.

And this is evidenced by Bob sticking with Kubiak (refusing the siren song of Bill Cowher, which was obvious to everyone who watched CBS pregame coverage throughout the 2010 season) and evidenced by hiring a proven d-coordinator and letting him run the draft AND grab two premiere secondary players rather than the run-of-the-mill street free agents like we did before.

All of the aforementioned things were at Bob's discretion. He got us into this mess, and he got us out of it (on paper, for now). For all we know, Gary and Rick were grabbing coaching personnel that Bob and his upper crust cronies wanted. At worst, Bob could have been hiring so-called "consultants" like he did with Dan Reeves--which got us the extra Carr year, btw--who in turn got in Bob's ear enough to make Bob run the show "his way" and leaving Gary and Rick to hold the bag when it turns out how it eventually turned out.

I don't care to sit here and roll through all the various scenarios of who is ultimately responsible and who isn't, or to what degree each criminal played a role in this crime against football humanity for the past four years here. All I know is that there is a triumvirate of suck with Bob and Gary and Rick all three playing a role in it.

To that extent, "Yeah, I can't say this team is 'soft' per se." I can say that this team played competent football on offense but was weighed down by an atrocious defense that has three sets of fingerprints all over it--Bob, Gary, and Rick. They've all three gone back to the crime scene and have wiped their prints from it...but let's see how it plays out in a court of law this reg season. Will the charges stick? Will they get an acquittal? Who knows.

I just don't think the "soft" tag being placed upon the offense is the evidence that convicts the Texans of being soft. If anything, it's been incompetent mishandling of the defense that has been the death of this team.
Old 08-05-2011   #144
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Keith bullock called us soft before too.

I thought about it and what would make a player call a team soft, and I think it boils down to in between the tackles. If you consistently win battles on both sides of the line in the trenches you will never be considered soft. Whereas if you are bullied down there even a few times, that soft image will be hard to shake.

Traditionally that has been a bit of a struggle for us.

And I thought about the fact that winning teams or in this case a portion of a team has won AND been called soft. That is the colts. Even though they have consistently won a lot of games, their d line has been considered soft at certain points.

Basically if the texans lines win a lot more battles collectively, I think the soft label that some give us will disappear.
For what the Texans O-line is supposed to be I thought they were fantastic as a collective unit that won a lot of battles with what is supposedly much bigger and better opponents (Ravens, Jets come to mind, games in which the offense was pretty good).
Old 08-05-2011   #145
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Saw these pics over on 790....we ARE soft..

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #146
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post

Funny Shyte.
Must spread rep...
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #147
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post

The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-05-2011   #148
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
For what the Texans O-line is supposed to be I thought they were fantastic as a collective unit that won a lot of battles with what is supposedly much bigger and better opponents (Ravens, Jets come to mind, games in which the offense was pretty good).
Right, but we need to do more of that on both sides of the ball. Gotta shake the stigma of many years past otherwise it's just an aberration.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #149
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 340250 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Bob doesn't play the game? Shocker.
You flip-flop so much I'm not sure from day to day or week to week where you're going to land.

You were blasting McNair not that long ago, iirc. Now you've got him on the pedestal that he's a football mastermind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
But he fields the team. He puts it out there. No need to marginalize the impact of the owner in a pro sports league. Mark Cuban could have imploded his Mavericks had he thought his squad of old guys wasn't cutting it, but he held onto them because he felt they were almost there--And they got there, indeed!

Owners impact the team. Owners sign the checks, they damn sure have direct control of operations. Am I to sit here and believe that Bob is out shopping for antiques with his wife while only Gary and Rick run the show without him? That's not how it happens. If Bob wants to retain David Carr for an extra year, he will. If he wants to retain Dunta Robinson for an extra year, he will. He will stick his nose into the mix where and when he wants to.
Pure speculation. All accounts are that Bob is the CEO and hires people to run his team. He does not make day-to-day personnel decisions and does not gameplan. By his own words, he lets the professionals do their jobs. It's one of his endearing qualities as an owner.

Give me something more concrete that Bob is acting like a Mark Cuban-type of owner. Pulling stuff out of your ass does not qualify.

You still harping on HWWNBN and Robinson? Those stories are YEARS ago. "You're livin' in the past, man! You're hung up on some clown from the sixties, man!" (Seinfeld reference)

It's fine and dandy that you've joined the Sunshine Club. I won't rain on your parade. Just don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

btw, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with Lombardi. I take his comments, like most commentators, with a grain of salt. I'm waiting to see the team on the field of play in the regular season. That is all that really matters to me, not getting upset about mere words.
Old 08-05-2011   #150
False Start
On # 69

Rep Power: 88409 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Heres the Lombardi podcast on 1560.

Old 08-05-2011   #151
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Right, but we need to do more of that on both sides of the ball. Gotta shake the stigma of many years past otherwise it's just an aberration.
True and hopefully they do that by bringing back every piece of the Oline this year.

I think honestly unless the Texans go through and shit on teams like the Steelers/Pats/Ravens we'll always have this label no matter what style of football we play.

For people like Lombardi, what they know about the Texans mostly falls around what their record is so we get turd analysis like "they are soft" without any real world examples of what is and isn't soft.
Old 08-05-2011   #152
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

I honestly couldn't disagree with anything Lombardi said in that interview.
Old 08-05-2011   #153
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I honestly couldn't disagree with anything Lombardi said in that interview.
I think somebody who is trying to talk about how the Texans practice, and trying to make points about how we practice, you'd think that he would've actually have been to a few practices before.

He's also going on and on about how smaller linemen don't work and is talking about pass protection as though we don't do that.

I'm pretty much disagreeing with everything I hear as he says it.

EDIT: He basically doesn't like the ZBS and therefore it is not physical and therefore they are soft.

EDIT2: Teams that don't have huge hulking linemen are apparently the only teams that win in the NFL.
Old 08-05-2011   #154
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

You know, the guys saying we aren't soft, point to Arian Foster & his 1600 rushing yards. Or the Texans' 2000+ yards as a team.

But, what about the other side of the ball? How many 3rd & 13s did we give up? 3rd & 19?

How many tackles did we miss?

How far from the bottom were we?

If anyone thinks this team is soft, I would bet it was the defensive side of the ball he was talking about.
Old 08-05-2011   #155
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
You flip-flop so much I'm not sure from day to day or week to week where you're going to land.

You were blasting McNair not that long ago, iirc. Now you've got him on the pedestal that he's a football mastermind.

Pure speculation. All accounts are that Bob is the CEO and hires people to run his team. He does not make day-to-day personnel decisions and does not gameplan. By his own words, he lets the professionals do their jobs. It's one of his endearing qualities as an owner.

Give me something more concrete that Bob is acting like a Mark Cuban-type of owner. Pulling stuff out of your ass does not qualify.

You still harping on HWWNBN and Robinson? Those stories are YEARS ago. "You're livin' in the past, man! You're hung up on some clown from the sixties, man!" (Seinfeld reference)

It's fine and dandy that you've joined the Sunshine Club. I won't rain on your parade. Just don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

btw, I don't necessarily agree or disagree with Lombardi. I take his comments, like most commentators, with a grain of salt. I'm waiting to see the team on the field of play in the regular season. That is all that really matters to me, not getting upset about mere words.
Wow. I can only say that you must not pay much attention to what I say then.

I can't sit here and just endlessly bash this team, DB. If you want to buy into Lomtardy's comments and laugh at your own team, then go right ahead. I put down my haterade the day we signed a S/CB combo that was the sort of thing I have been bitching about for a long, long time. Everybody's been wanting it. Not a rookie draftee. No, a veteran Safety and a veteran Cornerback. We even found a way to make three guys re-structure so we could add a more than competent FB for Foster to run behind.

Meanwhile, the past four years have been filled with this offense putting up great numbers and watching the defense piss it away. Literally piss it away. We had to score somewhere between 21 and 28 (or more) points, and often had to do it as the last team holding the football in order to keep our defense from pissing it away. But yet Eric Winston is soft? Riiiiight.

Eric is targeted here, by Lomtardy, because he knows Eric is vocal in the media and he knows he's game for a verbal war. If anything, Lomtardy is showing that he has to bait and goad a vocal guy with the Texans in order to get airtime on The View.

Lomtardy comes around making fun of the Texans and I'm supposed to be a sad sack and agree with it? I don't agree with it. I think the only asshole who's been holding this team back is the guy who owns it. And even HE decided to stop being an asshole and get busy building a defense equal to the competent offense that was built over the past four years. Slow golf clap for Bob McNair, he just might have finally figured it out. Only took him five years, but hey...good job, Bob.

FOR THAT, I'm sorry to say that I must lay down the ***** stick and stop whacking at the Texans pinata. My bad for not being there to back up your assertions. Sue me.

I've supported everything else you've said and we've rubber stamped each other's gripes for a long time, but I'm just realizing that football is here again and I want to see if McNair can prove us wrong.

Go have a cookie and pet a puppy or something.

Here:

"We suck."

"We're soft."

"Lombardi is right. We're losers."

"I won't get excited and expect success until it happens, that way I can't be made out to be a fool for believing in such a sucky, soft team like Houston."

What the hell else can I do for you, man? What the hell do I owe you? Nothing.
Old 08-05-2011   #156
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

SOFT?..........DEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!!!!!!!!

CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #157
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Aug. 05, 2011 7:20 p.m. - by Brandon Williams - DE Smith: Texans defense isn't soft
DE Antonio Smith on the "soft" label that some in the media have tagged the defense with: "Put on the pads...Oklahoma Drill. Take it back to college (and) let them see how it feels a little bit. I don't believe it. I don't see it and you can rest assured if I thought someone was soft on our defense, you would know it." Texans RapidReports

loving the attitude our teams has, but we gotta back it up though
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #158
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
Aug. 05, 2011 7:20 p.m. - by Brandon Williams - DE Smith: Texans defense isn't soft
DE Antonio Smith on the "soft" label that some in the media have tagged the defense with: "Put on the pads...Oklahoma Drill. Take it back to college (and) let them see how it feels a little bit. I don't believe it. I don't see it and you can rest assured if I thought someone was soft on our defense, you would know it." Texans RapidReports

loving the attitude our teams has, but we gotta back it up though
This means nothing.

How dare he speak up and debate the issue? He should just shut up and wait to say something when we're sitting at 12-2 and have two games left to go.

Meanwhile back on planet earth.......NFL players like to voice their opinions when they're called out as being a bunch of weenies by a flabby no-name on a TV show.
Old 08-06-2011   #159
False Start
On # 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
SOFT?..........DEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!!!!!!!!

Apparently the Texans are coming out with their won TP, with Toro replacing that bear with toilet parer stuck to his ass on Charmin toilet parer.

Old 08-08-2011   #160
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4641 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sometimes folks confuse physicality with toughness. Real toughness is mostly mental.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read