Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-04-2011   #121
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Latest Lombardi Anti-Texans Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
See, this is where I get pissed off.

The so-called "analysts" are always in a win-win. You know damn well they can sit there from the peanut gallery, like us fans, and say whatever in the hell they want to...and then if they're wrong, they know they STILL get the interview with the player(s) because your owner is going to damn sure make sure your team gets air time in a positive manner.

No way around it. They love to tear down players or teams, and then they love to build them back up again. See: Media treatment, before & after, with Mike Vick. Hypocrites. They play both sides of the fence. It's just inherent to their "profession." They want you to think that they are right 100% of the time, so you gotta' tune in to get the scoop on everything.

I'm waiting for the first ever sports show where the analysts really cover the teams and players from a more unbiased and objective standpoint each week. Right now, they know their peeps up in the northeast want to hear great things about Jets/Pats/Giants and they want to conversely hear about those hayseed hicks down in Texas and how awful they are.
Ryan and Kirwin know their stuff. They are more x's and o's as well as explaining a GM's thoughts. They're on Sirius, Moving the Chains at 2 pm.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #122
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
We have been saying this for 10 off-seasons now. By law of averages if you say it enough someday it will be true right?

The only media guy who even likes us is Jamie Dukes and he gets flamed on this bored for being a dumb ass. TTFWIW.
I'm not sure I agree Red. Soloman Wilcots has been in our corner more times than not IIRC. He's been pretty outspoken in the Texans defense on more than one occasion in disagreeing with his co-hosts from what I recall.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #123
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
I'm not sure I agree Red. Soloman Wilcots has been in our corner more times than not IIRC. He's been pretty outspoken in the Texans defense on more than one occasion in disagreeing with his co-hosts from what I recall.
I would add Warren Sapp to that list. Everytime I see him talking about us its usually positive.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #124
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
I would add Warren Sapp to that list. Everytime I see him talking about us its usually positive.
Agreed. Just can't wait until the team gives them ALL something positive to say because there's nothing negative to say.

We can all dream, huh?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #125
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Or, maybe, just maybe, the Jets, Patriots, and Giants are all playoff teams, where as the Texans have one winning season in it's history.

As a Texans fan, I hate to hear it. But, as an NFL fan, I recognize it for what it is at the end of the day. Analysis that is reflective of each team's recent history.

It's certainly nothing to get upset about if national talking heads don't shoot rainbows out of their butts for our hometown team. I don't expect them to, and to be quite honest, I wouldn't respect their opinions if they put the Texans on a pedestal at this point.

The Texans need to earn respect, not have it handed to them because the fanbase is upset about perception.
I don't think it's a deal of us not getting the respect we think we want/deserve.

My problem is the idea that all of our failings are due to a lack of toughness.

Which team is tough every Sunday for 16 reg season games? Not many, and maybe none at all. They each have moments where they puss out and can't find the inner resolve to overcome their own troubles and beat the other team. The mighty Ravens had Hillis run on their ass for 140 yards--Where was the Ravens' toughness that day? Poof! It must have just been bad luck???

I watched us out-tough the Packers at Lambeau on a frigid windy day. Schaub was a rock of Gibraltar that day. We out-toughed them. See? The Packers couldn't out-tough us in their own home against an on-the-road un-tough team who plays in a semi-dome. Whoops.

Our misfortunes are laid squarely upon an owner who JUST NOW found the inner resolve to hire a proven d-coord. And with a proven d-coord has come two VERY proven secondary players and a draft heavy on defense under the direction of a guy who knows defense when he sees it.

If we succeed, it will be based more on Bob's ability to suck it up and be a Big Boy than it will for our players.
Old 08-04-2011   #126
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 128402 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Well said GP, well damn said.

Rep +1
Old 08-04-2011   #127
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68220 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Right on the money. Sick of this "toughness" crap.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-04-2011   #128
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

You want tough? Go to Sears and buy some Toughskins.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #129
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
LOL.
Old 08-04-2011   #130
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Problem solved.
/thread.
We've dedicated enough electrons to that boob.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #131
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56780 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi should have just said what people already know, good guys finish last

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #132
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Ryan and Kirwin know their stuff. They are more x's and o's as well as explaining a GM's thoughts. They're on Sirius, Moving the Chains at 2 pm.
Thats the best radio program out there right now. Both have great perspective, don't jump the gun, well-informed and know x's and o's well and make it interesting. They also don't let dumb callers run the show amuck with ignorance like the 790s 610s and 1560s of the world, those stations are desperate sluts for listeners. Sirius NFL doesn't have to be.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #133
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20599 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
Thats the best radio program out there right now. Both have great perspective, don't jump the gun, well-informed and know x's and o's well and make it interesting. They also don't let dumb callers run the show amuck with ignorance like the 790s 610s and 1560s of the world, those stations are desperate sluts for listeners. Sirius NFL doesn't have to be.
I completely agree. I listen to Sirius 88 non stop.
Old 08-05-2011   #134
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

He at least replies to twitter comments (michael lombardi) so at least he's not a *****.
Old 08-05-2011   #135
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Lance Z interviewed him this morning. Anyone catch it?

Lance says they will post a Podcast on his blog later today.
Old 08-05-2011   #136
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 87036 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I just missed it, should be interesting.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #137
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 337617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I don't think it's a deal of us not getting the respect we think we want/deserve.
Sure, it is. Fans would not be getting so butthurt about some talking head's opinions if they felt like the team was respected.

Remember my statement was a direct reply to your point: "want to hear great things about Jets/Pats/Giants". Great things can be said because 1) they have success in recent history, and 2) this translates to respect.

You went on to say "they want to conversely hear about those hayseed hicks down in Texas and how awful they are".

Don't strawman the argument and take my points out of context. You were upset because the Texans were being disrespected by an analyst.

So Lombardi is not behind the Texans. Does it really matter? It doesn't change anything in my mind and it certainly has no impact on my rooting for our team.

Quote:
If we succeed, it will be based more on Bob's ability to suck it up and be a Big Boy than it will for our players.
Bob doesn't play the game. I'm not even sure what your post is trying to say, to be honest.
Old 08-05-2011   #138
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I caught some until I couldn't listen any more.

The logic was this:
You can't win a super bowl if you're soft.
Ergo
The Texans are soft.

They tried to pin him down on what he meant, and it was basically their coaches aren't Parcells or Ryan, they have bad line play, and their offensive linemen are small. Well, duh.

Lombardi has always rubbed me the wrong way. If he's such a good talent evaluator, why isn't he still in the NFL? Even Casserly got a second chance. Just because you're opinionated and sound good on TV doesn't make you a good analyst.

This whole thing strikes me as ridiculous. If they win, they won't be soft. If they lose they'll be soft. It's weak and poor analysis.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #139
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 87036 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
their offensive linemen are small.
That "small" O-Line is pretty damn good IMO, if a small line gives the team the leading rusher, I'll take it.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #140
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by noxiousdog View Post
I caught some until I couldn't listen any more.

The logic was this:
You can't win a super bowl if you're soft.
Ergo
The Texans are soft.

They tried to pin him down on what he meant, and it was basically their coaches aren't Parcells or Ryan, they have bad line play, and their offensive linemen are small. Well, duh.

Lombardi has always rubbed me the wrong way. If he's such a good talent evaluator, why isn't he still in the NFL? Even Casserly got a second chance. Just because you're opinionated and sound good on TV doesn't make you a good analyst.

This whole thing strikes me as ridiculous. If they win, they won't be soft. If they lose they'll be soft. It's weak and poor analysis.
I really hope you got this wrong. That is his arguement? They only led Arian to 1600 yards rushing last season....

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read