Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2011   #81
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Latest Lombardi Anti-Texans Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
While true, Myers is the only player that probably would not prefer to play smash mouth drive them back football. I am not a big fan of the ZBS but it has been working.
Watch the man play. In this system it is his job to go hunting, find a LB/DB & blow him up.

He really does a good job of shedding the NT to the guards as well.

It would be stupid suicide for him to go one on one with a NT.
Old 08-03-2011   #82
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
You have to be tough to play in the league. What this team is missing are the true blue collar workhorse type of players that just want to be out there bleeding and knocking the piss out of people. Wade drafted 3 of them this year in Watt, Reed and Keo. We have Cushing and Barwin that are like that. We need the hard nosed Detroit and New Jersey type of guys that eat a bowl of nails every morning for breakfast. That's the defense I like. That's the kind of O-line I like.
I'll take a handful of Texans who grew up wrestling longhorns.
Old 08-03-2011   #83
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Watch the man play. In this system it is his job to go hunting, find a LB/DB & blow him up.

He really does a good job of shedding the NT to the guards as well.

It would be stupid suicide for him to go one on one with a NT.
He's a bit of a liability in pass pro, but you can't always have the best of both worlds. He does pretty good in ZBS and our whole approach is a balanced attack that keeps the D guessing. I'm OK with our entire OL. Continuity is a huge factor with that group and I believe this will be about 3 years with 4 of the 5 playing together.
Old 08-03-2011   #84
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
"We're sitting here, Lombardi is a douche, and we're in here talking about practice?!"
Practice????!
Old 08-03-2011   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I can't get mad at Lombardi and to be honest I can't disagree with him either. When the Texans do something and start proving these guys wrong is when people will start singing our praises.

4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14
6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Franchise record: 55-89

No respect is earned and no respect shall be given.
Is Mike Tyson soft?

He's a loser, but he ain't soft. The two words are not synonymous.
Old 08-03-2011   #86
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Should of, could of, would of...

We won the 6 games that we should have because we won 6 games. I do not recall any stats in the NFL that "should have" is a part of. That kind of statement is grasping for straws from a desperate fanbase trying to validate it's perpetual mediocre franchise.
Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Double Barrel again
When I get back from the gym, I'll start slinging some rep around.
Old 08-03-2011   #87
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. But, Winston got butthurt about some commentator's analysis, and getting butthurt makes him look soft.

He validates Lombardi by acknowledging his comments. Winston should be a pro and ignore the peanut gallery, but instead wants to play Twitter wars because he's positioning himself to be a part of that peanut gang when football is over. One day he will be the one making comments about teams that he has not visited.

I disagree.

We won the 6 games that we should have because we won 6 games. I do not recall any stats in the NFL that "should have" is a part of. That kind of statement is grasping for straws from a desperate fanbase trying to validate it's perpetual mediocre franchise.

I certainly hope that changes this year, but I'm not going to count the wins before they play the games.

A red herring is Winston throwing up a bunch of individual stats to deflect comments from an analyst talking about a team.

Wins and losses do matter. Show me the last Super Bowl champion that was considered "soft".

I'm just pointing out the old mantra that stats are for losers to celebrate, because the scoreboard is the only real stat that matters in the end. Scoreboard is for winners, which is why Winston did not bring it up. I have no doubt that if this was a 10+ wins team, Winston would have used that information in a heartbeat.

As far as being soft, this team dominates nobody and imposes it's will on nothing. That is a sign of a soft team, regardless of individual stats.

For clarification, we have many individual players that are not soft, and Winston is probably one of them (as well as many others). However, as a team, they have not been capable of being considered hardasses until they can win in spite of themselves.
Excellent post.

Whether or not the texans are soft doesn't matter. They have sucked for most of their existence. When you have been consistently bad people are going to throw out all kinds of reasons for the suckage.

I can't believe that Winston actually had a retort.

It's like if someone says you are overweight because you eat too much junk, and you say "come watch me eat".

Unless you have a thyroid problem or some other health issue then you need to deal with what YOU can do and not worry about someone else's opinion on why you are the way you are.

Doesn't matter if the texans are soft, stupid or cheap. What ever the problem is they need to fix it this season. Then ppl will shut up and stop giving their opinion on why you suck.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 08-03-2011   #88
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
He's a bit of a liability in pass pro, but you can't always have the best of both worlds. He does pretty good in ZBS and our whole approach is a balanced attack that keeps the D guessing. I'm OK with our entire OL. Continuity is a huge factor with that group and I believe this will be about 3 years with 4 of the 5 playing together.
He's about as good as Jeff Saturday in Pass Pro.... Our problem in Pass Pro for the last two years, (excluding the Kris Jenkin's rag toos) has not been the man in the middle. It's been those two GODs we put on the wings.
Old 08-03-2011   #89
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree. But, Winston got butthurt about some commentator's analysis, and getting butthurt makes him look soft.

He validates Lombardi by acknowledging his comments. Winston should be a pro and ignore the peanut gallery, but instead wants to play Twitter wars because he's positioning himself to be a part of that peanut gang when football is over. One day he will be the one making comments about teams that he has not visited.

I disagree.

I certainly hope that changes this year, but I'm not going to count the wins before they play the games.

A red herring is Winston throwing up a bunch of individual stats to deflect comments from an analyst talking about a team.

Wins and losses do matter. Show me the last Super Bowl champion that was considered "soft".

I'm just pointing out the old mantra that stats are for losers to celebrate, because the scoreboard is the only real stat that matters in the end. Scoreboard is for winners, which is why Winston did not bring it up. I have no doubt that if this was a 10+ wins team, Winston would have used that information in a heartbeat.

As far as being soft, this team dominates nobody and imposes it's will on nothing. That is a sign of a soft team, regardless of individual stats.

For clarification, we have many individual players that are not soft, and Winston is probably one of them (as well as many others). However, as a team, they have not been capable of being considered hardasses until they can win in spite of themselves.
The best thing Winston could've said is, "who?" or "HEY!!! That's what we call our tackling dummy!!"
Old 08-03-2011   #90
PhilpW
Irish-American

Rep Power: 348 PhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respectedPhilpW is a quality contributor and well respected

Soft is stopping a team on first and second downs, then dropping 7 into coverage to allow first downs. We've done this for years. Soft is playing teams close, no killer instinct. How many games have we won by 17 or more? Very damn few. I think Lombardi is a douche bag, but he'll be in line for the bandwagon when we start winning.
PhilpW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #91
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
Soft is stopping a team on first and second downs, then dropping 7 into coverage to allow first downs. We've done this for years. Soft is playing teams close, no killer instinct. How many games have we won by 17 or more? Very damn few. I think Lombardi is a douche bag, but he'll be in line for the bandwagon when we start winning.
Every single one of them will be. And most of them will be angling for an "I told ya so."
Old 08-04-2011   #92
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 32564 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Is Mike Tyson soft?

He's a loser, but he ain't soft. The two words are not synonymous.
Mike Tyson has 50 wins 44 knock outs and 6 losses. That's not even close to being the same. Mike Tyson was a champion, was feared, was Iron Mike. What have the Texans ever been but the door mat for the AFC South?

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #93
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15057 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's my point. Soft is finesse. When you're winning, you're "finesse" (i.e. Colts and Pats). When you're losing, you're "soft."

You can win the Steeler way and you can win the Colt way. It makes no difference. You do not have to be "tough" to win a Super Bowl.

We lose because we're not good enough, not because we're not tough enough.
Old 08-04-2011   #94
DocBar
Hall of Fame

If Lombardi found a loaded , he'd blow his brains out.
Old 08-04-2011   #95
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 43723 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Vandy from 610 is doing a segment with Major Tool aka Lombardi today....hoping he refutes some of this.

Also, they are interviewing OD as I type on 610 asking him about it. Clearly the offense is pissed about these comments.....I doubt the defense could say much.

FWIW

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #96
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
The media including Lamebardi will stop commenting like this when we start winning and get to the playoffs. Just let them say whatever they want. Once we start to win, they will be on our bandwagon for sure.

Go Texans!!!
yep. Winning changes everything, especially perception.

That is what this is all about at the end of the day. Lombardi see the Texans hyped every pre-season as the up-and-coming team, but they never are that team in the end. So his analysis does not surprise me. It's his perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I think the Texans have shown toughness. They haven't shown the ability to put their foot on the throat of an opponent and absolutely crush them very often. Two different things imo.
QFT. This is why it's hard to defend the team against Lombardi's analysis. We've got some tough individuals, have the ability to play tough at times, but overall, they lack the so-called "killer instinct" as a team to dominate good teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
That's my point. Soft is finesse. When you're winning, you're "finesse" (i.e. Colts and Pats). When you're losing, you're "soft."

You can win the Steeler way and you can win the Colt way. It makes no difference. You do not have to be "tough" to win a Super Bowl.

We lose because we're not good enough, not because we're not tough enough.
I do not disagree with you. "Soft" is subjective. Winning is the fine line between being "soft" and being "finesse". It is what it is, and until this team can prove itself with consistent success, they will continue to be perceived by national analysts as soft. But consistently winning by beating good teams is where the gut check comes in, where the heart of this team has to become warrior and refuse to lose. I have not seen that fighting spirit in this team (individual players, yes, but not in the team).

Hey, I'm a Texans fan and I don't like the label, either. But I'm not a happy, shiny fan that is going to wear blinders and swim in koolaide. I cannot fault Lombardi for his perspective, simply because it's an understandable position to take when looking at a perpetually mediocre franchise.

Hopefully Lombardi has to eat his words by the end of the season. Only time will tell. The proof will be on the field in the end, either way.
Old 08-04-2011   #97
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

takes one to know one

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #98
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

On the NFLN, Lombardi was just talking about SHANE Cody and DEMARCO Ryans.

I didn't necessarily disagree with anything he said (he just reiterated most of our fears) but at least get the names right.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #99
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ML on NFLN spewing now that Mario will be taken out of the game by offenses.

McGinest, Davis agreeing and adding Vickers doesn't make up for Leach. Insinuating Texans can't convert 3rd or 4th and 1.

Eric Winston took homage to my comments... -- errr, that would be umbrage, Mike.

ML whining about Texans fans attacking him on Twitter.

Last edited by Playoffs; 08-04-2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed from Wilcots to McGinest
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011   #100
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
On the NFLN, Lombardi was just talking about SHANE Cody and DEMARCO Ryans.

I didn't necessarily disagree with anything he said (he just reiterated most of our fears) but at least get the names right.
He said Cushing has lost weight, which is the first I've heard about it. Also he and McGuinest were talking about how we have no outside LBs. No mention of Reed or Barwin. He was treating Wade's 3-4 like it was any other 3-4, so naturally he thought that Cody was a poor fit at NT.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read