Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-03-2011   #61
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Latest Lombardi Anti-Texans Comments

Eric Winston on Lombardi's comment via TC.

Quote:
"I know this, you
don't luck into 1,660. You don't luck into 2,000 yards rushing as a team
so you can call it whatever you want, you can call it finesse, you can
call it whatever but, I'll take those yards, I'll take those touchdowns
and I"ll take that production so Mike Lombardi can call it whatever he
wants. He can come out here; I'"ve never seen him at practice before so,
he might have a different take on it if he's not 2000 miles away
commenting on something he"s never seen before.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #62
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He can come out here; I'"ve never seen him at practice before so,
he might have a different take on it if he's not 2000 miles away
commenting on something he"s never seen before. - Winston
Snap.
Old 08-03-2011   #63
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I know this, you don't luck into 1,660. You don't luck into 2,000 yards rushing as a team so you can call it whatever you want, you can call it finesse, you can call it whatever but, I'll take those yards, I'll take those touchdowns and I"ll take that production so Mike Lombardi can call it whatever he wants. He can come out here; I'"ve never seen him at practice before so, he might have a different take on it if he's not 2000 miles away commenting on something he"s never seen before.
But your team still ended up 6-10. scoreboard = the only stat that really matters...
Old 08-03-2011   #64
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 77974 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
But your team still ended up 6-10. scoreboard = the only stat that really matters...
Agreed, but that doesn't necessarily equate to softness.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #65
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two things:

1. The defense was so Oy! that it's got to enter the equation on this topic.

2. The offense, IMO, has been more run-oriented since our new o-coord has arrived. Couple that with Arian's emergence, and the lack of dynamic pass playcalling due to Shanahan Jr. leaving, and our offense was prone to stutter and sputter out of the gate too much.

Those two things, IMO, swerve into one another. When you have a defense getting burned up to the tune of 21-0 by halftime...and your offense is less dynamic in the area of what I considered MORE creative pass playcalling when we had Shanny Jr. here, you have the makings of "scoreboard" type situations.

Facts run both ways, unfortunately. We did not win the games we should have. But we produced massive stats that Winston refers to in his retort to Lombardi. Some teams are pure grinders, and some teams are finesse, and some teams flip the switch back and forth.

Vickers will go a long way to infusing a more shark-like attitude on our offense. The Joseph/Manning combo will stabilize the defense and give the LBs and DL a better chance at success and raise everyone's confidence level.

Pretty much saying I am making the Kool Aid. Hot Kool Aid, that is.

I made this. For you!!!
Old 08-03-2011   #66
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Video, of Caveman's comments.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #67
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That's a red herring.

The topic's about whether the Texans are "soft" or not. Not how many games they won.

I'm glad Winston came out about this. Soft (and finesse) has become code for non-power running teams. Just because a team runs zone or spreads it out 4-wide doesn't mean they're not tough and certainly doesn't mean they're not capable of being great (see NE and IND). Conversely, just because a team likes to employ a power running scheme doesn't mean they are superior (see CLE).

The Texans sucked last year because their defense sucked and couldn't cover anyone. Not because they were "soft."
Old 08-03-2011   #68
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans sucked last year because our secondary included a rookie, a couple of nobodies, and Bernard Pollard. So, effectively, Lombardi is calling the Texans soft because we had Bernard Pollard. It's almost like calling Bernard Pollard soft. Yeah, say it to his face...

Way I see it, we're good if we can just keep KJ on his feet...

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
The Texans have been soft. The Texans have been slow.

These are part of our problems. I hate seeing our team manhandled and out hustled.

The offense is better, but the defense has been putrid. I hope Wade brings a needed level of toughness.

And when we need 1 yard, I want 3!
The truth hurts,

Lombardi is right and Ryan even confirmed what Lombardi said. texan fans the truth is Gary runs his team with a country club atmosphere. It's up to the Texans to prove the naysayers like Lombardi/Ryan wrong.

Maybe this will be the yr of put up or shut up for Rick/Gary and the kids.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #70
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=nero THE zero;1742865]That's a red herring.

The topic's about whether the Texans are "soft" or not. Not how many games they won.

I'm glad Winston came out about this. Soft (and finesse) has become code for non-power running teams. Just because a team runs zone or spreads it out 4-wide doesn't mean they're not tough and certainly doesn't mean they're not capable of being great (see NE and IND). Conversely, just because a team likes to employ a power running scheme doesn't mean they are superior (see CLE).

Funny how the Physical teams like the Jets, Pittsburgh, Giants, Titans and to a lessr degree Jags seem to regularly kick Garys teams butts and most of the time the scores against non division physical teams isn't even close.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #71
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 209608 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Agreed, but that doesn't necessarily equate to softness.
I agree. But, Winston got butthurt about some commentator's analysis, and getting butthurt makes him look soft.

He validates Lombardi by acknowledging his comments. Winston should be a pro and ignore the peanut gallery, but instead wants to play Twitter wars because he's positioning himself to be a part of that peanut gang when football is over. One day he will be the one making comments about teams that he has not visited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
We did not win the games we should have.
I disagree.

Should of, could of, would of...

We won the 6 games that we should have because we won 6 games. I do not recall any stats in the NFL that "should have" is a part of. That kind of statement is grasping for straws from a desperate fanbase trying to validate it's perpetual mediocre franchise.

I certainly hope that changes this year, but I'm not going to count the wins before they play the games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
That's a red herring.

A red herring is Winston throwing up a bunch of individual stats to deflect comments from an analyst talking about a team.

Wins and losses do matter. Show me the last Super Bowl champion that was considered "soft".

I'm just pointing out the old mantra that stats are for losers to celebrate, because the scoreboard is the only real stat that matters in the end. Scoreboard is for winners, which is why Winston did not bring it up. I have no doubt that if this was a 10+ wins team, Winston would have used that information in a heartbeat.

As far as being soft, this team dominates nobody and imposes it's will on nothing. That is a sign of a soft team, regardless of individual stats.

For clarification, we have many individual players that are not soft, and Winston is probably one of them (as well as many others). However, as a team, they have not been capable of being considered hardasses until they can win in spite of themselves.
Old 08-03-2011   #72
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 30712 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't get mad at Lombardi and to be honest I can't disagree with him either. When the Texans do something and start proving these guys wrong is when people will start singing our praises.

4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14
6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Franchise record: 55-89

No respect is earned and no respect shall be given.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #73
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Funny how the Physical teams like the Jets, Pittsburgh, Giants, Titans and to a lessr degree Jags seem to regularly kick Garys teams butts and most of the time the scores against non division physical teams isn't even close.
What? I don't think so.

Jets, Pitt, Giants all had (key word "had") better players than we had.

We were on what I consider to be "equal footing" as teams like Jax and Tenn.

Not anymore.

With a competent secondary that has appeared out of thin air, cutting ties with Amobi Okoye and drafting JJ Watt who appears to be a real football geek and strong as an Ox (and already impressing coaches, which I never heard that about Amobi within his first week of camp), and a better d-coord to lead them, and lastly by filling in the FB spot with a true FB who has a proven track record, we're not on equal footing with Jax/Tenn and we're easily approaching talent level of the better teams out there.

All that has to happen is for Gary and Wade to handle their respective businesses out there.

All you do is degrade this team. And if GP is saying that, it means it's gotten bad with ya' bro. It's a new day, a new dawn. This time, there's no phony street free agents filling out our secondary. It's 2 legit now. And because it is legit, you must quit. Come on, desperado. Why don't you come to your senses? Been out ridin' fences. Open the gate. It may be rainin', but there's a rainbow above you, you better let somebody love you. Let somebody love you! Better let somebody love you, before it's tooo-ooo-ooooo laaaaate.
Old 08-03-2011   #74
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

So can anyone tell me what other teams would be considered 'finesse'? Like the Super Bowl winning 2006 Colts? Or the 2010 Saints? How about the 3 time Super Bowl champ Patriots? I don't see a lot of power running from any of them.
Old 08-03-2011   #75
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
So can anyone tell me what other teams would be considered 'finesse'? Like the Super Bowl winning 2006 Colts? Or the 2010 Saints? How about the 3 time Super Bowl champ Patriots? I don't see a lot of power running from any of them.
You see great players coming together with great coaching. I look back on the Tampa Bay and the Ravens wins at the SB, and I don't see either finesse nor strength--I see lunch pail, consistently resilient teams right there.

Colts are not brutes. They finesses the hell out of opponents.

I wish he had a way to really measure finesse vs. strength. But we don't. Yet it's being used as if it's the Gospel Truth.

Our problem has been (was, actually) poor talent and poor coaching (d-coordinator side of the ball, mostly). It came together in a perfect turd storm for us. All of us knew, in about week 3 or 4 that 2010 was going to be rough.

I think the defense, overall, was so horrible that it was a cloud over the whole team. I really do. That was a lot of pressure to perform that was placed upon the offense in 2010. The idea that you can score 28 or 35 points, as an offense, and still probably lose the game? Damn.

I think maybe Bob heard an earful from lots of people who were tired of the status quo on defense. Because this is one helluva' drastic turnaround from the time Wade Phillips was hired until just a few months later. Things got "crazy" and Bob said "we won't go crazy."
Old 08-03-2011   #76
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30803 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I can't get mad at Lombardi and to be honest I can't disagree with him either. When the Texans do something and start proving these guys wrong is when people will start singing our praises.

4-12
5-11
7-9
2-14
6-10
8-8
8-8
9-7
6-10

Franchise record: 55-89

No respect is earned and no respect shall be given.
I know there has yet to play a full season of winning football but as of right now we do stink. Hopefully that changes though.

Last edited by gary; 08-03-2011 at 06:51 PM.
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #77
TheDream34
Veteran

Rep Power: 557 TheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheDream34 is a quality contributor and well respected

While i despise Michael Lombardi, he does have a point, this team just lacks toughness. Do people really expect this team to show the toughness to win in tough arenas in Pittsburgh or new england or in indy because i dont
TheDream34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #78
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 16963 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The media including Lamebardi will stop commenting like this when we start winning and get to the playoffs. Just let them say whatever they want. Once we start to win, they will be on our bandwagon for sure.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011   #79
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDream34 View Post
While i despise Michael Lombardi, he does have a point, this team just lacks toughness. Do people really expect this team to show the toughness to win in tough arenas in Pittsburgh or new england or in indy because i dont
I think the Texans have shown toughness. They haven't shown the ability to put their foot on the throat of an opponent and absolutely crush them very often. Two different things imo.
Old 08-03-2011   #80
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
The Texans knocked people in the face...just couldn't stop a soul. I think there's a difference.
I think this is the most accurate statement made so far (other than mine of course).

The Texans were in a lot of fights last season, they just couldn't stay in those fights, see them to the finish.

The Texans are going to have to know when to throw that punch, when to duck, and make it to the twelfth round.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read