Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-02-2011   #41
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 73433 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Latest Lombardi Anti-Texans Comments

"We're sitting here, Lombardi is a douche, and we're in here talking about practice?!"
Blake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #42
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14190 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what Lombardi is looking at but I thought Eric Winston was plenty physical.

Signed,

Kyle Vanden Bosch

And let me add that Andre punked me pretty hard.

Signed,

Cortland Finnegan
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #43
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Who's ever said the Colts were a physical team, or one of the greatest and most successful franchises of the leagues history, the 49ers. Show me where those great Montana/Rice San Fran teams were described as physical by anybody ?
Texans just gotta win, then Lombardi and ever one else will get off of their butts. Till they do, they are fair game for the critics.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #44
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
And they won't. And that's fine. We're a finesse team. Perfectly fine.
It does not appear to be fine with fans that disagree with Lombardi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilpW View Post
Winning shuts up douche bags!
No, it doesn't. Dallas fans were louder than ever when they were consistently winning.
Old 08-02-2011   #45
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 96739 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

No, it doesn't. Dallas fans were louder than ever when they were consistently winning.

LOL, nice.

Must Spread Rep...
michaelm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #46
painekiller
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4466 painekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respectedpainekiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
How many teams can you think of in the history of the NFL that had that kind of toughness ?

Those 70's Steeler teams , the Shula Dolphins and maybe the Gibbs coached Redskins. Other than that , I think you have to go back to the Lombardi coached Packers to find a team that had that identity over a period of multiple years. I'd almost throw the recent Ravens teams into that group.

The few other teams that put together multiple championships were more finesse teams .... Cowboys & 49ers twice , Patriots , Rams and even the Dolts of today even tho they have only won one title.
The Buddy Ryan Eagles a few years back was one of those teams, the Giants when LT was playing.
painekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #47
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I only point out that Lombardi seems to have extra piss and vinegar when he starts talking about us. I mean, he transforms into an animated and rage-filled guy when he gets going on it.

It's like Steve Tasker when he calls our games. He can only praise us and what we're doing out there when we are solidly kicking someone's ass and it's apparent beyond the shadow of a doubt that we look golden out there from start to finish. But if not, he's dogging us and he's even finding things to rag on us about...things that are B.S.

He'll side with the refs when they make a bad call that goes against us. He'll say he disagrees with the ref when they make a call that benefits us. Only when he knows his bias would truly be revealed does he tone it down and call it fairly.

Paul MaGuire, back when he covered Oilers games on NBC, did that same shit all the time too. I dreaded MaGuire's pre-game commentary when he'd be up in the booth while the Oilers and their opponents were prepping for opening kickoff. He would just rag out the Oilers and find ticky tack stuff to trash them out with. I was a teenager back then and saw it. I'm 35 now and I see it with some TV guys. It's there.

Not a coincidence that both those guys (Tasker and MaGuire) were Bills players at one time.

I just want to know what Lombardi's beef is with us. Did the Texans blow a game and lose him a lot of money? Did he want the GM job and got passed up for it? Is he tired of picking the Texans as a "sleeper" and so he's venting about being duped every year for three years?

He has an axe to grind. It's plain to see.
Old 08-02-2011   #48
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I only point out that Lombardi seems to have extra piss and vinegar when he starts talking about us. I mean, he transforms into an animated and rage-filled guy when he gets going on it.

It's like Steve Tasker when he calls our games. He can only praise us and what we're doing out there when we are solidly kicking someone's ass and it's apparent beyond the shadow of a doubt that we look golden out there from start to finish. But if not, he's dogging us and he's even finding things to rag on us about...things that are B.S.

He'll side with the refs when they make a bad call that goes against us. He'll say he disagrees with the ref when they make a call that benefits us. Only when he knows his bias would truly be revealed does he tone it down and call it fairly.

Paul MaGuire, back when he covered Oilers games on NBC, did that same shit all the time too. I dreaded MaGuire's pre-game commentary when he'd be up in the booth while the Oilers and their opponents were prepping for opening kickoff. He would just rag out the Oilers and find ticky tack stuff to trash them out with. I was a teenager back then and saw it. I'm 35 now and I see it with some TV guys. It's there.

Not a coincidence that both those guys (Tasker and MaGuire) were Bills players at one time.

I just want to know what Lombardi's beef is with us. Did the Texans blow a game and lose him a lot of money? Did he want the GM job and got passed up for it? Is he tired of picking the Texans as a "sleeper" and so he's venting about being duped every year for three years?

Don't forget Chris Collingsworth. I swear that guy is related to Richard Justice...
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #49
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I don't even know if we were mentally soft. We were resilient as shit last year,
Yeah, we just went 6-10 and lost all of these games at the end in totally embarrassing ways. The word resilient has never been an adjective to describe the Texans in any way, shape, or form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonFrog View Post
Too add to my comments I think that people like Lombardi also see "soft" as a team who doesn't bring it to other teams. Most people here, if honest, know one of the Texans biggest downfalls is not showing up every week or for a minimal amount of quarters. They showed up probably 1 game last season..2 most and usually they were getting out hit until and played until they decided to play run and shoot. JMO
Why is it that people get so upset at writers and analysts who aren't confident in a team that has been awful for 9 years straight? Guys like Lombardi who are writing this stuff have history on their side and they're not going to start having all of this confidence in the Texans until the Texans go out there and prove something and give them reasons to instead of being annual underachievers.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #50
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah, we just went 6-10 and lost all of these games at the end in totally embarrassing ways. The word resilient has never been an adjective to describe the Texans in any way, shape, or form.
We fought our way back out of the holes we'd dug for ourselves several times last year. Even though we lost those games, I always felt like we were in them. If we weren't resilient, we would have thrown up our hands and not even been in those games.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #51
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We fought our way back out of the holes we'd dug for ourselves several times last year. Even though we lost those games, I always felt like we were in them. If we weren't resilient, we would have thrown up our hands and not even been in those games.
They went 6-10. That isn't resilient. Blowing games to the Jags on a Hail Marry pass and to the Jets isn't resilient. That's called choking horribly.
Old 08-02-2011   #52
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If anything, I think we can say that it's just something different every year for these guys.

One year we have a defense that ranks pretty well. Next year, it falls apart.

One year we have an offense that stays consistent from start to finish, and the next year they get down 21-0 by halftime before they decide to sustain drives AND score TDs on them.

The law of averages says that at some point, everything has to come together.
Old 08-02-2011   #53
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

The law of averages says that at some point, everything has to come together.
Possibly. But until that happens beat writers aren't going to be going out on the limb to say all these great things when the Texans have been coached by a failed regime going on 5 years now. I don't understand why fans get so pissy about this before every season starts completely failing to remember at the end of the season that the beat writers or analysts that predicted this stuff ended up being correct at the end of the year. When the Texans do start winning, then they'll get better predictions and analysis from Football analysts. And they have to do it consistently as well. Even if the Texans make the post season next year, there will still be writers saying it was an abberation or that they were one year wonders. Until they show that they are a team that can win consistently, there will be many doubters. I don't see fans in here getting all chippy about football analysts who are doubting the Detroit Lions every off season.
Old 08-02-2011   #54
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They went 6-10. That isn't resilient. Blowing games to the Jags on a Hail Marry pass and to the Jets isn't resilient. That's called choking horribly.
Choking horribly isn't a sign of a lack of resilience.

A lack of resilience is getting depressed and giving up and getting blown out in game after game.

Choking and record doesn't have anything to do with resilience.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #55
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Choking horribly isn't a sign of a lack of resilience.

A lack of resilience is getting depressed and giving up and getting blown out in game after game.

Choking and record doesn't have anything to do with resilience.
If they were resilient they would have found ways to win games and came out on top instead of losing them consistently even when they had leads or were in position to close out a game. Failing consistently at that isn't being resilient. It's choking. Agree to disagree.
Old 08-02-2011   #56
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
LOL, nice.

Must Spread Rep...
Got 'em for both of us!
Old 08-02-2011   #57
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

It's been said several thousand times on here, but one more time won't hurt anything. Start winning and most of the complaining will go away. It's just amazing how much changes when you can string together some W's, especially for more than one season.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011   #58
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 116095 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Lombardi is a Douche. Being a douche doesn't preclude someone from being right!
Old 08-02-2011   #59
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 112586 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It's been said several thousand times on here, but one more time won't hurt anything. Start winning and most of the complaining will go away. It's just amazing how much changes when you can string together some W's, especially for more than one season.
Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Lombardi is a Douche. Being a douche doesn't preclude someone from being right!
And, yes
Old 08-02-2011   #60
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Maybe he feels the same way about the Texans that I do about Justin Bieber. Lots of hype, but in the end, just another crappy product that makes a lot of money through successful marketing strategies.

yeah, I just compared the Texans to Justin Bieber. Do something more than one winning season in a decade and maybe I'll elevate the team to Lady Gaga. Win a playoff game and become a real rock band.

Quote:
Why is it that people get so upset at writers and analysts who aren't confident in a team that has been awful for 9 years straight? Guys like Lombardi who are writing this stuff have history on their side and they're not going to start having all of this confidence in the Texans until the Texans go out there and prove something and give them reasons to instead of being annual underachievers.
Being a fan of a team is a lot like blind nationalism. You can gripe about your team and country, but as soon as someone else does it, circle the wagons! This Lombardi thread and the Putin thread in the NSZ attest to this fact.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read