Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2011   #1
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Latest Lombardi Anti-Texans Comments

This was Mike Lombardi on Bill Simmons' BS Report on Thursday 7/28

Keep in mind this was before Asomugha signed with the Eagles

Simmons asking Lombardi if signing Asomugha makes Houston a contender:

"No, because I thought the quote of the year was Eric Winston when he found out about the new practice rules he said 'you know, look, we have the leading rusher in the league and we never went in pads' and to me it proves why I don't like Houston as a team, they're not physical."

Simmons chimes in "yeah"

Lombardi continuing:

"...they've got to prove to me they can do some things that can be effective down the line in terms of they're physical toughness, and when I read the Winston quote I was like, this to me would be evidence to prove my point about the Houston Texans."

Simmons then tries to go on to ask him about another topic and Lombardi interrupts:

"They think they're being physical, when in reality they can't get physical because they never practice physical."

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6813168

I actually think the problem is the exact opposite, it's MENTAL toughness that this team lacks. I think they proved physically they can do it better than anyone, evidenced by leading the league in rushing.

Also, is this even entirely true? I seem to remember them having pads atleast one day a week. Regardless, I don't mind not overworking players during the week. The wear and tear of a 20 game schedule preseason included is too much. And I don't see a correlation between being in pads hitting your own teammates on Wednesday translating to hitting on Sunday.

Also, "hitting" i.e. physicality really wasn't THAT big of an issue with this defense last year. We had hitters, we just didn't have coverers. THAT is the real issue.

To me, the "physical" knock on the Texans is so 2009. Which goes to show how much attention dunce cap Lombardi paid to the Texans last year.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Latest Lombardi Anti-Texans Comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post

Keep in mind this was before Asomugha signed with the Eagles

"No, because I thought the quote of the year was Eric Winston when he found out about the new practice rules he said 'you know, look, we have the leading rusher in the league and we never went in pads' and to me it proves why I don't like Houston as a team, they're not physical."

Simmons chimes in "yeah"

Lombardi continuing:

"...they've got to prove to me they can do some things that can be effective down the line in terms of they're physical toughness, and when I read the Winston quote I was like, this to me would be evidence to prove my point about the Houston Texans."

Simmons then tries to go on to ask him about another topic and Lombardi interrupts:

"They think they're being physical, when in reality they can't get physical because they never practice physical."

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=6813168

I actually think the problem is the exact opposite, it's MENTAL toughness that this team lacks. I think they proved physically they can do it better than anyone, evidenced by leading the league in rushing.

Also, is this even entirely true? I seem to remember them having pads atleast one day a week. Regardless, I don't mind not overworking players during the week. The wear and tear of a 20 game schedule preseason included is too much. And I don't see a correlation between being in pads hitting your own teammates on Wednesday translating to hitting on Sunday.

Also, "hitting" i.e. physicality really wasn't THAT big of an issue with this defense last year. We had hitters, we just didn't have coverers. THAT is the real issue.

To me, the "physical" knock on the Texans is so 2009. Which goes to show how much attention dunce cap Lombardi paid to the Texans last year.
I think this was discussed in another thread last week. Please remember that Mike Lombardi's mom was a tough old dude.
Old 08-01-2011   #3
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264941 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

Well, you know what they say.

Those that can coach..... those that can't are like Michael Lombardi.

Who gives a shit what he says.

I actually saw the clip myself.... & I thought... he's got a point.

The worst part of the whole thing, is that the Texans keep saying, "But we are physical... we are!"

I don't hear the Ravens trying to convince people they're a physical football team.

They (Eric Winston included) need to just shut up & win. Then they can say, "no, we aren't "really" physical, but we just whupped your ass."
Old 08-01-2011   #4
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't even know if we were mentally soft. We were resilient as shit last year, considering all the holes we put ourselves in. Shitty preparation and execution, but crazy resolve to get back into pretty much every game.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #5
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 348851 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

When I hear the term "physical toughness" as it pertains to a football team, I tend to think of a team like the Steelers imposing their will on opponents. If they need a yard, they are going to die trying to get that yard. If they need to make a stop on defense, they are going to go through a brick wall to make that stop.

The Texans have never been that kind of team.
Old 08-01-2011   #6
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Truth hurts.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #7
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think we have mental toughness or a physical presence on the field.

The offense has some as they can and often do - march down the field and put the team in scoring position with 2 min left.

But then the defense gets out there and all they have to do is stop the opponent's offense - once. They always seem to fail.

Where is the smash mouth, kick them when they are down attitude? The Steelers, Ravens, Giants, etc always seem to play with much more intensity.The Texans look like high schoolers compared to them.

Hopefully with these "high motor" guys they drafted and a new DC and coaches we will see some of this.

If so - maybe we can win a lot more than we lose for a change.
Old 08-01-2011   #8
barrett
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18818 barrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respectedbarrett is a quality contributor and well respected

I always site Matt Schaub's first game back after his MCL. Green Bay, freezing cold. The Texans are tough. They didn't finesse that win. They beat the Packers up and took that game home by force.
barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #9
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post

And they won't. And that's fine. We're a finesse team. Perfectly fine.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #10
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

I just think people need to get out of their heads that PHYSICAL=WINNING. The Texans didn't need to be more "physical" last year, they needed to cover better, MUCH better in fact. Like I said, the "get physical and we'll win more" knock is so 2009.

This team led the league in rushing, and that was playing catch-up in a majority of their games. They can move defenses, they haven't even had Schaub-Andre-Foster-OD fully healthy together at once ever. If the Texans could improve their ability to cover, up to being in the top 16, it'll be playoffs and possibly more.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #11
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 28177 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrett View Post
I always site Matt Schaub's first game back after his MCL. Green Bay, freezing cold. The Texans are tough. They didn't finesse that win. They beat the Packers up and took that game home by force.
Too bad they don't play like that each game.
Old 08-01-2011   #12
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Well, you know what they say.

Those that can coach..... those that can't are like Michael Lombardi.

Who gives a shit what he says.

I actually saw the clip myself.... & I thought... he's got a point.

The worst part of the whole thing, is that the Texans keep saying, "But we are physical... we are!"

I don't hear the Ravens trying to convince people they're a physical football team.

They (Eric Winston included) need to just shut up & win. Then they can say, "no, we aren't "really" physical, but we just whupped your ass."
tough or soft doesn't make a difference. Wins and losses do. Nobody would say Indy is "physical" but they win games.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #13
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 41385 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to agree with him. Our defense has been soft. They don't impose any kind of will on the opposing team. They appear afraid of driving their helmet into their opponent's chest and burying them into the turf. I would like for them to change that this year and they have the perfect opportunity to do that. A new coach, scheme, and players may give them the confidence to not fall into the same old "here we go again" feeling. Time will tell what they are. They can talk all they want to, but actions speak louder than words. I hope they prove Lombardi and everyone else wrong.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #14
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Without examples, Lombardi's statement is intellectually dishonest.

The Texans were among the best in the league in short yardage, esp in red zone. You can't do that if you are total wusses.

The primary reason why the Texans sucked last year is that their defense turned every opposing offense but for the Rusty Smith led Titans into an opponent that had a better offense than the Texans.

I don't care physical the Texans practiced. If you have inexperienced corners + significant injuries on defense + unproven coordinator = suckage.
Old 08-01-2011   #15
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjeremy635 View Post
I have to agree with him. Our defense has been soft. They don't impose any kind of will on the opposing team. They appear afraid of driving their helmet into their opponent's chest and burying them into the turf. I would like for them to change that this year and they have the perfect opportunity to do that. A new coach, scheme, and players may give them the confidence to not fall into the same old "here we go again" feeling. Time will tell what they are. They can talk all they want to, but actions speak louder than words. I hope they prove Lombardi and everyone else wrong.
Bad doesn't equal soft. Bad equals bad. That was just bad defense. They were bad on first, second, third down.
Old 08-01-2011   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
When I hear the term "physical toughness" as it pertains to a football team, I tend to think of a team like the Steelers imposing their will on opponents. If they need a yard, they are going to die trying to get that yard. If they need to make a stop on defense, they are going to go through a brick wall to make that stop.

How many teams can you think of in the history of the NFL that had that kind of toughness ?

Those 70's Steeler teams , the Shula Dolphins and maybe the Gibbs coached Redskins. Other than that , I think you have to go back to the Lombardi coached Packers to find a team that had that identity over a period of multiple years. I'd almost throw the recent Ravens teams into that group.

The few other teams that put together multiple championships were more finesse teams .... Cowboys & 49ers twice , Patriots , Rams and even the Dolts of today even tho they have only won one title.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #17
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Ahem...cough, cough...ahem..I could have your job Lombardi..week earlier

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...hlight=Winston
Old 08-01-2011   #18
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

The Texans knocked people in the face...just couldn't stop a soul. I think there's a difference.
Old 08-01-2011   #19
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19254 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I just think people need to get out of their heads that PHYSICAL=WINNING. The Texans didn't need to be more "physical" last year, they needed to cover better, MUCH better in fact. Like I said, the "get physical and we'll win more" knock is so 2009.

This team led the league in rushing, and that was playing catch-up in a majority of their games. They can move defenses, they haven't even had Schaub-Andre-Foster-OD fully healthy together at once ever. If the Texans could improve their ability to cover, up to being in the top 16, it'll be playoffs and possibly more.
Thank you.

Wuss teams don't lead the league in rushing.

The only non-physical part of the Texans were the secondary, and that's because they were usually too far from the receivers to even get physical so they never even had a chance.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #20
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Thank you.

Wuss teams don't lead the league in rushing.

The only non-physical part of the Texans were the secondary, and that's because they were usually too far from the receivers to even get physical so they never even had a chance.
Not exactly true. They run a system that is built on cut blocks ands is more system blocking than smash mouth. They can do well in short yardage but that doesn't mean teams think they are physical. Look at the teams that have beat them down the last 2-3 years...physical teams...and when the Texans do comeback it is chucking it 30 times in a half. So I can kind of see where he is coming from on both sides of the ball. Even Rex Ryan said that was their thought process against the Texans 2 years back.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read