Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2011   #1
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Brian Cushing not practicing due to knee issue

Not sure how I missed this, but Brian Cushing hasn't fully recovered from off-season knee surgery:

(on when ILB Brian Cushing will play) I liked what I saw today, watching during the individual. Hes (Brian Cushing) come a long way this past week. I dont think youre going to see him in the next couple days, but I dont think hes very far away. I dont want to put a timetable on it. Well see. Hes definitely a few days away anyway. link

Makes me nervous we've got both of our ILBs coming off surgery in the off-season.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #2
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brian Cushing not practicing due to knee issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
Not sure how I missed this, but Brian Cushing hasn't fully recovered from off-season knee surgery:

(on when ILB Brian Cushing will play) I liked what I saw today, watching during the individual. Hes (Brian Cushing) come a long way this past week. I dont think youre going to see him in the next couple days, but I dont think hes very far away. I dont want to put a timetable on it. Well see. Hes definitely a few days away anyway. link

Makes me nervous we've got both of our ILBs coming off surgery in the off-season.
Cushing missed the whole preseason his rookie year and blew up the league. He also played with that knee injury most of the season last season so I think the Texans are just being smart with him. No need to worry!
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #3
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

He will be fine cushing rocks!
Old 08-01-2011   #4
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 11106 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

The depth at ILB seems a little week to me. I like Darryl Sharpton alot but after him I'm a little worried. What about Brooks or Conner play inside if we need to relieve the ILB for a while. It would get them on the field more, I think Brooks could kick but at any LB position.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #5
BullsOnParade
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 283 BullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respectedBullsOnParade is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, not what I really wanted to hear, but I'm sure he'll be okay vs Indy. Just hoping we don't get any major injuries in camp this year. I'm sure it'll happen, but I pray we can overcome it.
BullsOnParade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #6
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe he's pregnant again...
Old 08-01-2011   #7
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 74671 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected

I was told they are being very careful with the heat at the start of camp, especially with players coming off of injury.

He was out there without a helmet with the position groups today--watching, not participating. He didn't seem concerned about not being out there--but then again, Cushing/Texans have kept things quiet in the past.
Old 08-01-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

He can take off until game one imo.
Old 08-05-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I was told they are being very careful with the heat at the start of camp, especially with players coming off of injury.

He was out there without a helmet with the position groups today--watching, not participating. He didn't seem concerned about not being out there--but then again, Cushing/Texans have kept things quiet in the past.
From what I can make out from the available information, he underwent patella tendon surgery and a simultaneous scope for "cleanup." He evidently did not suffer an acute tendon rupture by history. So the surgery must have been for chronic cumulative partial tears. This can be a more difficult and complicated surgical problem than a clean rupture, and potentially carries a less predictable outcome. Total rehab from a classic patella tendon rupture can be as little as 6 months. Rehab from a chronic tear repair may be as long as 9-12 months especially if there is any question of the adequacy of repair.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #10
MightyTExan
It's go time!

Rep Power: 21898 MightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respectedMightyTExan is a quality contributor and well respected

On Cushing-

I watched him run today. I think he’s better every day. He’s not ready to come back out here quite yet so we’re being smart with him. Is that this week, is it next week, we don’t know. We’ll see. We’re day to day with him.

I translate that as "out for most of the season"
MightyTExan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #11
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 97639 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyTExan View Post
On Cushing-

I translate that as "out for most of the season"
Well... sounds like you're a "glass half shattered" kind of guy.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #12
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Cushing missed the whole preseason his rookie year and blew up the league. He also played with that knee injury most of the season last season so I think the Texans are just being smart with him. No need to worry!

He also did some drugs....which I think helped him immensely!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #13
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 137757 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Maybe he's pregnant again...
Freakin welfare mom
Old 08-05-2011   #14
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 66827 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Based on his positive PED test and the assumption (no factual evidence here) that he has used PEDs in the past as well, I think cumulative damage to the joint sounds very probable and I wouldn't be surprised if this is the kind of injury that plagues him throughout his career
Old 08-05-2011   #15
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 215632 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If his presumptive inflammatory jumper's knee was conservatively treated in previous seasons with local steroid injections (which is likely) in addition to anti-inflammatories, this could have further weakened and deteriorated the tendon integrity, leading to need for surgical attention.

The problem with most competitive athletes with jumper's knee is they do not see the need to rest and immobilization (and teams are sometimes reluctant to lose the player for that period), given that the condition presents with pain but does not affect their performance at that point.
Old 08-05-2011   #16
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
From what I can make out from the available information, he underwent patella tendon surgery and a simultaneous scope for "cleanup." He evidently did not suffer an acute tendon rupture by history. So the surgery must have been for chronic cumulative partial tears. This can be a more difficult and complicated surgical problem than a clean rupture, and potentially carries a less predictable outcome. Total rehab from a classic patella tendon rupture can be as little as 6 months. Rehab from a chronic tear repair may be as long as 9-12 months especially if there is any question of the adequacy of repair.
Doc, is this surgery 100% recoverable? He had surgery in January so he may be able to return by 1st game in September but how well?

I would appreciate your insight.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #17
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Man Doc, you have an ESP or something? When I was writing a question to you, you already answered a few minutes before me.
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #18
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans Pride View Post
He also did some drugs....which I think helped him immensely!
He did play all last year with a slight tear in his knee and still finished with 76 tackles and missed 4 games and played out of position for 2 of them.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMURAITEXAN View Post
Doc, is this surgery 100% recoverable? He had surgery in January so he may be able to return by 1st game in September but how well?

I would appreciate your insight.

Go Texans!!!
There is very little out there that addresses this question. Here is one of the few recent studies that give generic return to play information.

It is a publication in the American Journal of Sports Medicine. It reports on 24 followed ruptures (22 patients) during a 10 year interval. Three also had an ACL injury. Another 11 had preoperative symptoms (which could have indicated chronic tears). Among 19 of the injuries, the player returned to at least one game in the NFL, and players who were chosen earlier in the draft were more likely to return to play. The average number of games played by those who returned was 45.4 games, with a range of 1 to 142 games.

Another study showed that most all of the ruptures (complete) were followed by some chronic stiffness and small deficits of knee range of motion. Overall, athletes (not NFL) found their way back to normal or near normal strength and performance. This also follows along presentations of anecdotal experiences.

Chronic tears that are surgically repaired would be expected to have a somewhat less predictable performance return depending on the extent of damage to the tendon and associated structures.
Old 08-05-2011   #20
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Well If he has to miss any extended time maybe we could move Mario inside and put reed and barwin at OLB.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read