Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 08-01-2011   #1
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Building through the Draft

Just looking back at the Texans' 2007 draft class and;
RD. Pick#
1 10 (10) Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
3 9 (73) Jacoby Jones WR Lane
4 24 (123) Fred Bennett CB South Carolina
5 7 (144) Brandon Harrison S Stanford
5 26 (163) Brandon Frye G Virginia Tech
6 9 (183) Kasey Studdard G Texas
7 8 (218) Zach Diles LB Kansas State University

How do we now rate this draft? It really is a very poor effort by our FO.

It's all ok Bob and Smithiak going along this line of 'build through the draft' but there is only Jones and Studdard left on the team! And that said most of us would feel far more comfortable if we had them replaced.

Another real problem I have with this class is that despite it being such a terrible group of players, most of them hung around for a number of years and many saw significant playing time at one point or another.

If we move on to 2008;

1/26 (from Baltimore) Duane Brown Offensive tackle Virginia Tech
3/79 Antwaun Molden Cornerback Eastern Kentucky
3/89 (from Baltimore) Steve Slaton Running back West Virginia
4/118 Xavier Adibi Linebacker Virginia Tech
5/151 Frank Okam Defensive tackle Texas
6/173 (from Baltimore) Dominique Barber Safety Minnesota
7/223 Alex Brink Quarterback Washington State

It just gets worse doesn't it? Duane Brown is an OK pick, nothing too special but he does the job, and thats it, so in 2 years, and given the whole team's ethos of using the draft to build the team, they managed to snag 1 starter and a handful of poor backups.

Now I'm sure we can debate a few of these picks, Slaton did well for a year, Adibi & Molden may have worked out apart from their injury problems etc etc...

But when it comes down to it, the Houston Texans hung their hat on these two draft classes and you could even argue that they did well to achieve 8-8 type results with the talent they actually gave themselves.

For me, Rick Smith doesn't get a pass just because this offseason seems to have been more positive (that said, I think we were all just as positive about the 2 draft classes listed on day 1 of training camp) He should have lost his job some time ago, and I would be embarrassed if my new DC had to run my draft for me if I was a GM.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #2
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Building through the Draft

shocking, disappointing drafts to those of us who follow there things. combined with movement of coaching staff its easy to see the lack of continuity & how important that factors into play not just game days but, talent/fit evaluations.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #3
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 162318 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Business as usual here in Houston. The 2006 draft was an aberration. We'd all better hope the 2011 draft is too.
Old 08-01-2011   #4
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Business as usual here in Houston. The 2006 draft was an aberration. We'd all better hope the 2011 draft is too.
I thought going into the 2011 Draft that it had potential to rival 2006 as one of this team's greatest. I maintain that thought post-draft. Now let's get'em on that field and see some production!
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I prefer to think of the 2011 draft as a new trend
Old 08-01-2011   #6
Jackie Chiles
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7394 Jackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respectedJackie Chiles is a quality contributor and well respected

The only silver lining is getting Schaub for our two second rounders those years. Very doubtful we would have gotten close to that kind of value if we had to make those picks ourselves.
Old 08-01-2011   #7
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
The only silver lining is getting Schaub for our two second rounders those years. Very doubtful we would have gotten close to that kind of value if we had to make those picks ourselves.
The problem I have with including the Schaub trade when summing up these 2 draft classes is that he had a body of work in the NFL, although limited, which clearly indicated his potential.

Given the evidence, no one is going to honestly tell me that had they would have hit with either of those 2nd rounders had they not made that trade, or got the right QB with any of their picks either.

The 2006 draft was Charley f'ing Casserly's work and the 2011 draft was the work of Wade Phillips.

How on earth does Rick Smith still draw a pay check.
We will remember them.
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2011   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
The problem I have with including the Schaub trade when summing up these 2 draft classes is that he had a body of work in the NFL, although limited, which clearly indicated his potential.

Given the evidence, no one is going to honestly tell me that had they would have hit with either of those 2nd rounders had they not made that trade, or got the right QB with any of their picks either.

The 2006 draft was Charley f'ing Casserly's work and the 2011 draft was the work of Wade Phillips.

Been asking this question for 3 years now. It's irritated me immensely that this guy has drawn a salary from this team. He's not a GM to me. He's just a front office guy that Kubes was high on from Denver and convinced Bob that he was some up and coming guy for the future. The thing with draft picks is that they always look great on paper, but you just never know until they play 16 games in the NFL. There are so many guys that end up as busts, and that's why I've never understood why so many people even on this site are so against trading certain picks for "proven" players in their prime. Sure, you have to pay them, but it's better than gambling and rolling the dice on unproven players with potential to be great players. I'll take the proven guy that you've already got factual evidence on that he can play at this level and is a highly motivated guy. You already know what his personality is like as well and whether or not he is the kind of guy that's a problem in the locker room to.

You're right that Rick Smith should have been fired two years ago. He wasn't though. He finally grabbed two guys that can help this team this year though, so that's at least a good sign "for now." I'd still like him and Kubiak kicked to the curb, but at least they finally tried to fill some holes in the secondary and they did. I won't fool myself into thinking they've changed though until they do it for at least two off seasons though. Show me consistency.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #9
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

What stuns me is the complete hit-or-miss aspect of the drafts over the years. It's either a monumental build or a complete waste of a draft. No middle ground. No getting two or three players and dumping two or three...it's like they all became starters or all became off season cuts.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #10
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I agree. The bad part about this years very good offseason is that it shows how truly awful the previous 5 yrs. have been. Rick Smith and Gary Kubiak are terrible at talent evaluation. Smith does a good job of contract negotiations when someone competent tells him who to go after.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
What stuns me is the complete hit-or-miss aspect of the drafts over the years. It's either a monumental build or a complete waste of a draft. No middle ground. No getting two or three players and dumping two or three...it's like they all became starters or all became off season cuts.
You've also got to wonder how much of the "successful" drafts coming about because the players weren't ruined by their coaching.

I want to see how KJ looks with a different DB coach. Hoke was not good but Gibbs was worse. Let's hope that V-Jo is good DB coach. All of those damned DBs we drafted over the years may actually have had some talent.

The same is true for the DL.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I have proposed the vet FA with a known history over a draft pick. It should of course be on a case by case basis. Too often with free agency, we get a player with several years wear & NFL tear to go along with the stats. Also, the pay scale is way over draft pick & that will only be more pronounced under new CBA. I think Texans history for most part is taking a cast off & hoping we could resurrect that player's career.
Old 08-01-2011   #13
welsh texan
Lest we forget

My worry is that Wade will be gone in a year or two if he turns the D around, and we'll be in trouble because who knows how long Smithiak could survive after a road game in the wildcard playoffs.

And all that inadequacy will still be there, simply papered over.

Still, I don't mean to put a dampener on all the optimism we're all feeling right now, but I can't help but see disaster just around the corner with the Texans, the years of gloom have taken their toll
We will remember them.
Old 08-01-2011   #14
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Just looking back at the Texans' 2007 draft class and;
RD. Pick#
1 10 (10) Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
3 9 (73) Jacoby Jones WR Lane
4 24 (123) Fred Bennett CB South Carolina
5 7 (144) Brandon Harrison S Stanford
5 26 (163) Brandon Frye G Virginia Tech
6 9 (183) Kasey Studdard G Texas
7 8 (218) Zach Diles LB Kansas State University

How do we now rate this draft? It really is a very poor effort by our FO.

It's all ok Bob and Smithiak going along this line of 'build through the draft' but there is only Jones and Studdard left on the team! And that said most of us would feel far more comfortable if we had them replaced.

Another real problem I have with this class is that despite it being such a terrible group of players, most of them hung around for a number of years and many saw significant playing time at one point or another.

If we move on to 2008;

1/26 (from Baltimore) Duane Brown Offensive tackle Virginia Tech
3/79 Antwaun Molden Cornerback Eastern Kentucky
3/89 (from Baltimore) Steve Slaton Running back West Virginia
4/118 Xavier Adibi Linebacker Virginia Tech
5/151 Frank Okam Defensive tackle Texas
6/173 (from Baltimore) Dominique Barber Safety Minnesota
7/223 Alex Brink Quarterback Washington State

It just gets worse doesn't it? Duane Brown is an OK pick, nothing too special but he does the job, and thats it, so in 2 years, and given the whole team's ethos of using the draft to build the team, they managed to snag 1 starter and a handful of poor backups.

Now I'm sure we can debate a few of these picks, Slaton did well for a year, Adibi & Molden may have worked out apart from their injury problems etc etc...

But when it comes down to it, the Houston Texans hung their hat on these two draft classes and you could even argue that they did well to achieve 8-8 type results with the talent they actually gave themselves.

For me, Rick Smith doesn't get a pass just because this offseason seems to have been more positive (that said, I think we were all just as positive about the 2 draft classes listed on day 1 of training camp) He should have lost his job some time ago, and I would be embarrassed if my new DC had to run my draft for me if I was a GM.
The 2007 draft class was far worse. When the best player you get is your 7th rounder, that is a very bad draft.

2008 wasn't great, but at lest they got a cornerpiece starter in Brown. Slaton is a great 3rd down change of pace back, but he took too many hits as a starter. He is kinda like DD. He was supposed to be a change of pace back, but took too many hits and was done.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #15
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 12880 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's all ok Bob and Smithiak going along this line of 'build through the draft' but there is only Jones and Studdard left on the team!
Is Studdard still on the team? I thought we had released him...
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 142041 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Is Studdard still on the team? I thought we had released him...
He's ba-a-a-a-ak.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
He's ba-a-a-a-ak.
If his skill sets matched his attitude, he'd be a pro bowler.
Old 08-01-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 36493 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

sigh. Wales:Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read