Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2011   #1
RTP2110
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6845 RTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respectedRTP2110 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default So...We're keeping Slaton?

Of course there was a ton of talk during the offseason about Slaton likely being traded or cut, but neither has happened yet. With some of the names at RB still available, I'd guess he has little or no trade value at all. I also figure that if they were going to cut him, they would have done it by now. So could be staying after all?
RTP2110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #2
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84
Default Re: So...We're keeping Slaton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
Of course there was a ton of talk during the offseason about Slaton likely being traded or cut, but neither has happened yet. With some of the names at RB still available, I'd guess he has little or no trade value at all. I also figure that if they were going to cut him, they would have done it by now. So could be staying after all?
Remember they have to get from 90 players at start of camp down to 53. He could be one of the 37 casualties.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #3
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2110 View Post
There is absolutely no value for Slaton outside a zone blocking system, IMO. Too many good running backs are available in the league now, and they are going in the later rounds of the draft too. It would be better to keep him for a change of pace back on third down than trade him for a 7th or cut him.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #4
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently a case of:

Quote:
One man's trash is another man's trash. -----CloakNNNdagger
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #5
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 48384 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I say let's see if he is capable of doing what he drafted for, a change of pace 3rd down type threat. If he's not back to original form cut him, but I say let's se him in preseason. Remember the staff has a lot more to judge him by compared to us, maybe he does have some value to us.
Old 07-31-2011   #6
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

High hopes for this guy in preseason. I have a feeling he's going back to his 08 form. He's has more than enough time to recover from whatever kind of injury he had. No more excuses from him
Old 07-31-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Why would we put slaton in on third down?

Slaton's value comes into play if someone gets hurt.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2011   #8
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

We need camp bodies. Not just to meet total but to spelread reps. Foster was injured, Tate missed all season, Ward is healthy as far as i know. I say keep him for now to see how he does in camp and preseason games. Preseason I expect him to get a lot of carries and if he does well it means we may keep him or it increases his trade value and exposure.
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #9
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 266923 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
We need camp bodies. Not just to meet total but to spelread reps. Foster was injured, Tate missed all season, Ward is healthy as far as i know. I say keep him for now to see how he does in camp and preseason games. Preseason I expect him to get a lot of carries and if he does well it means we may keep him or it increases his trade value and exposure.
We aren't getting rid of Foster or Tate, and I don't see Ward being released unless he performs in preseason like a crippled chicken. I don't think we can afford to keep 4 RBs........and please don't tell me we are going to run the Slatoncannotreturn Experiment again.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #10
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
We aren't getting rid of Foster or Tate, and I don't see Ward being released unless he performs in preseason like a crippled chicken. I don't think we can afford to keep 4 RBs........and please don't tell me we are going to run the Slatoncannotreturn Experiment again.
I'm mostly talking about training camp and preseason. I think we do keep 4 RBs. I think Foster, Tate and Ward will be our RBs during the season. But I don't think we need to give them 100% of the carries during camp and preseason.

If we're going to have ANY chance of trading Slaton, preseason games are the venue to interest teams. Chances are he gets cut anyways, but we can't be sending out Foster/Ward/Tate every single preseason play. We've got to have what 90 players? Why get rid of Slaton right this second?
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Anyone who has played fantasy football know about RB attrition rates. personally I think the Texans are just keeping all their eggs in a basket to address a need of weakness from a position of strength.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #12
otisbean
All Pro

Rep Power: 5252 otisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respectedotisbean is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Anyone who has played fantasy football know about RB attrition rates. personally I think the Texans are just keeping all their eggs in a basket to address a need of weakness from a position of strength.
Agreed. I think Slaton gets traded once RBs start going down in training camps/pre season games around the league, which happens very year.
otisbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #13
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by otisbean View Post
Agreed. I think Slaton gets traded once RBs start going down in training camps/pre season games around the league, which happens very year.
and if he can get some solid work in preseason games it may give teams some more reason to want to trade.
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteANDblue View Post
High hopes for this guy in preseason. I have a feeling he's going back to his 08 form. He's has more than enough time to recover from whatever kind of injury he had. No more excuses from him
I hope he lost that gut he put on....

He needs to slim back down & become the homerun threat he was in '08.

Otherwise, I feel just as good throwing Ward out there on 3rd down.

But if he can become that quick shifty guy he was back in the day....
Old 08-01-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I'm mostly talking about training camp and preseason. I think we do keep 4 RBs. I think Foster, Tate and Ward will be our RBs during the season. But I don't think we need to give them 100% of the carries during camp and preseason.
I thought the Texans (or John McClain) said we were going to showcase Slaton in the PreSeason. Try to bump up his value, while protecting Foster.

Sounds like a plan to me.

I'm not against trading Slaton, but lets make sure we got what we think we got before we let him go.
Old 08-01-2011   #16
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Camp body. Let him run so the defense will know what it feels like to strip the ball from somebody......
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011   #17
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9755 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

What's it matter, we lost Leach. Sell your tickets. 1-15. Andrew Luck in 2012. Or, maybe the best FB in the draft. Sky is falling!!!
Old 08-01-2011   #18
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Anyone remember last year in the Pre-season??? Maybe they want to make sure we get to the Regular season before getting rid of any HBs.
Old 08-01-2011   #19
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 20600 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak likes 'the kid'

Sent from my EVO 3D using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2011   #20
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 127449 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

He has a different skill-set than the other backs, so keeping him right now is worth the risk.

If healthy and right mentally, he can be a weapon.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read