Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-31-2011   #1
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans sign FB Lawrence Vickers

McClain_on_NFL John McClain
Quote:
Former Browns FB Lawrence Vickers says his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, is talking to the Texans. They need to replace Vonta Leach.

Vickers, who grew up in nearby Beaumont, resides in Houston. He said he'd love to play for the Texans. He spent first 5 seasons with Browns.

Vickers is 6-0, 255. He's 28. He's a lead blocker in the Vonta Leach mold. Texans need a veteran. TE James Casey gets first shot at the job.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I would not mind bringing vickers in, but I honestly think Casey will win that job.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #3
Schaub2Dre
Rookie

Section: Gridiron Sideline!!
Rep Power: 0 Schaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans in talks with FB Lawrence Vickers

Vickers is the next closest thing to Leach. That brusing and pounding type of full back and i'm confident Kubes and mold him the way we want. But I honestly I see Casey and Vickers splitting time at FB.
Schaub2Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #4
TEXANS84

Rep Power: 3262 TEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANS84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TEXANS84 Send a message via Yahoo to TEXANS84

I'd take Vickers over Casey any day of the week.

Pay the man, Rick.
TEXANS84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #5
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 90172 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
I'd take Vickers over Casey any day of the week.

Pay the man, Rick.
Agreed - I'm just concerned Casey is a round hole/square peg solution.
Old 07-31-2011   #6
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 23832 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
He played for the University of Colorado Buffaloes during his college career

Well there you have it folks, he's gonna be a Texan. I know it's not colorado state but i guess there aren't too many CSU fullbacks in the NFL that are FAs.
Old 07-31-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Well there you have it folks, he's gonna be a Texan. I know it's not colorado state but i guess there aren't too many CSU fullbacks in the NFL that are FAs.
I think we have one on our roster from csu.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2011   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaub2Dre View Post
Vickers is the next closest thing to Leach. That brusing and pounding type of full back and i'm confident Kubes and mold him the way we want. But I honestly I see Casey and Vickers splitting time at FB.
This MB discussion and references tend to worry me:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=7567847
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #9
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Vickers wants to be a Pro Bowl fullback, it appears. Running in front of Arian is how he gets there.

Leach goes to the Ravens, gets paid AND gets a shot at a ring with a perennially good team.

Vickers gets to come here and block for the league's leading rusher.

Win-Win. Now, the money has to work out. I'd rather have Vickers at FB than Ty Warren at d-line. Much better money spent. I hope the Texans have it ranked Vickers as option A and Warren is option B.
Old 07-31-2011   #10
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 101015 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm still having a hard time figuring out why people have so much confidence that Casey can be our starting FB.
He shows every indication of being a career backup and ST player at best.
Likable guy, good athlete, but I'm not feeling him as a replacement for Leach.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #11
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 191772 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Vickers wants to be a Pro Bowl fullback, it appears. Running in front of Arian is how he gets there.

Leach goes to the Ravens, gets paid AND gets a shot at a ring with a perennially good team.

Win-Win. Now, the money has to work out. I'd rather have Vickers at FB than Ty Warren at d-line. Much better money spent. I hope the Texans have it ranked Vickers as option A and Warren is option B.
I heard that Warren isn't wanting to break the bank . What about Jamaal Williams , Wade's NG with San Diego ?

Round Dan
Honoring Earl 34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #12
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

HOnestly, I am hoping that the budget is not so type that it is an either/or question to getting a veteran FB or DLman. You could throw Punter in this equation too.
Old 07-31-2011   #13
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68808 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Get Vickers, at least he's a FB.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #14
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
HOnestly, I am hoping that the budget is not so type that it is an either/or question to getting a veteran FB or DLman. You could throw Punter in this equation too.
I think we've still got a little room to maneuver.

I could be wrong, though.

But they might be taking an approach of going with they have and then scouring the waiver wire and TC cuts for some diamonds in the rough. It seems like we always get one or two of those per year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #15
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10496 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

If we get Vickers then great. But if we don't I would honestly be content adding another udfa in addition to the one we already signed to bring to camp. Casey is going into his 3rd year and his talent level demands for him to be on the field more. He's not the same type of FB as Leach but we can tailor our offense to maximize his strengths while still maintaining an effective running game.
Old 07-31-2011   #16
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks like all the "homeboys" wanna come back to Texas! Hell, sign both Warren and Vickers for the league min, and bring um both back to Texas!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #17
wildroot
Veteran

Rep Power: 1945 wildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respectedwildroot is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
This MB discussion and references tend to worry me:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=149&f=1547&t=7567847
"SCOUTING REPORTS Pros: Vickers has a huge frame and the quickness to get to the line. He can gain the tough inside yardage when he plays with his pads down. He was one of the nationís most versatile backs, excelling as a tailback, fullback and receiver. He has nice hands and is able to catch the ball with relative ease as an outlet receiver. He has a good understanding of coverage and route running. He is a tough runner with good leg drive that is able to move the pile on contact. Good special-teams performer"

No worries.
wildroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #18
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd like to see how much Ahmad Hall would run us. That dude is a player and of course, the fact that he's from UT doesn't hurt for me.

But he also paved alot of yards for a very good back there too.

Last edited by El Tejano; 07-31-2011 at 09:54 PM.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildroot View Post
"SCOUTING REPORTS Pros: Vickers has a huge frame and the quickness to get to the line. He can gain the tough inside yardage when he plays with his pads down. He was one of the nationís most versatile backs, excelling as a tailback, fullback and receiver. He has nice hands and is able to catch the ball with relative ease as an outlet receiver. He has a good understanding of coverage and route running. He is a tough runner with good leg drive that is able to move the pile on contact. Good special-teams performer"

No worries.
That is a five year old college scouting report.

And if he has good hands now, we certainly don't know it.

Quote:
Also worth pointing out Vickers's 2010 stats:

Thrown at: 10 times (16th most for fullbacks)
Caught: 4 (23rd best)
Yards: 15 (27th best)
Yards/Catch: 3.8 (2nd worst in the league)
Drops: 2 (t-5th most)
Interceptions on passes intended for Vickers: 1
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011   #20
V3rm0nt3r
All Pro

Section: Wherever the biggest TV is
Rep Power: 2846 V3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respectedV3rm0nt3r is a quality contributor and well respected

My question is why aren't we talking to Jameel Cook's agent?
V3rm0nt3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read