Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-21-2005   #21
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILO_girl
Hope Capers posts it on the wall. I would love to see revenge...er...aggressive play in Seattle. I believe a win is very achieveable at this point in time. I see Dyson is now a Squack too, been lots of wheeling and dealing in Nirvanaland this season.

I will re-write the winning song for the Squackfans...
"Smells like Texan Spirit" - 10.16.05 :woot
(I do miss Kurt Cobain though, I like Nirvana)

Good trip Filo. . . Good trip girl!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #22
gwallaia

Rep Power: 68496 gwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respectedgwallaia is a quality contributor and well respected

I hear Sharper Texan jerseys are going cheap.

We are among the "Them"
gwallaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #23
jr0ck
Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jr0ck

Quote:
Typically, athletes have a difficult time grasping the subtle.
not only is this a gross generalization, but

1. i've never heard/thought of this as an professional athlete stereotype

and

2. i am a former athlete and part of me is offended by that statement...

just seems WAY off base
Old 04-21-2005   #24
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Good riddance to a good player. MLB's are supposed to the baddest dudes on the team. Scottie Sharper, I mean Jamie Pippen, you know who I mean, was a good MLB, not one of the baddest. The Texans are definately upgrading the D this year. Look out, Indy...dare I say...sweep???? :woot
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #25
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwallaia
I hear Sharper Texan jerseys are going cheap.
Boselli jerseys feel their pain.
Old 04-21-2005   #26
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky
Boselli jerseys feel their pain.
Now THAT is funny. Hope Sharper saved one of each so he can savor the good old days when he played for us.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #27
D-ReK
RAWWWRR!

Rep Power: 685 D-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respectedD-ReK is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I wanted to get back to a quality team that has a chance to win a championship,
This comment doesn't really strike a nerve with me...It was obvious to me when Carr (I think it was) made the comment that it's time for us to start expecting to win instead of hoping to win...I realize that a couple losing years can be harsh on you, but IMO we should have already had that attitude...I don't know if I'm off base here, but it seems like something isn't/wasn't right in the lockerroom...
Old 04-21-2005   #28
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

I can understand where he is coming from. Sharper came from a championship team to an expansion team, and basically had to start all over. I do not like the fact that he made those comments to the media; it is disrespectful towards our team. I feel we showed him respect by letting him go early so he could catch up with another team, he did not show us respect in return. . .I want to see him sucking wind on October 16!
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005   #29
Bayern
Veteran

Well lets be fair guys, the Seahawks are not thaaaaat bad. Frankly Houston isn't any closer to a championship, eventhough we are on the upside.

I do agree... this is just a comment to make the hawkers feel good. I don't see this as a shot. I woudn't put this anywhere near the level of Terrell Owens vs. the Ravens.
Bayern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #30
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texansfan88
So basically Jamie what you are telling us is you are a follower not a leader correct? I mean, you couldn't turn this team around, so we're going to go where you can be surrounded with more talented players and win a championship the followers way, correct?

Have fun in the NFC West loser. A blind ethiopian could make plays over there in that weak division

NOTE: never had a problem w/ Sharper until this comment.

I still don't. You can't blame Sharper for our lack luster play at times. The guy played solid for us for 3 years and was a fan favorite. He probably thought he would retire a Texan and instead became a cap casualty. I'm sure he would have liked to see this building process through to the playoffs. He may still be a little bitter. It is the nfl. He'll get over it but don't turn on him for some off the cuff comments.
bckey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #31
TexansTrueFan
Hall of Fame

Send a message via Yahoo to TexansTrueFan

i loved him when he played here, but the Sharper ERA is over now, so he needs to move on as well as us.
TexansTrueFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #32
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk75
Forget this guy.........I hope, NO I KNOW we are going to smoke these guys when we see them! Why do guys wait to say things after they leave! I think he is in denial about getting old.

We should remember what a unique situation this was with Sharper. He was coming off a championship with the Ravens when we plucked him from there. He never chose to be a Texan and yet he endured 2 ugly years of expansion football and a third disappointing season while in the prime of his career. I don't think that one little comment about the frustration of losing games is out of line or unforgivable....

The truth is, I believe, the team wanted to move on and get faster and more athletic at LB. I wish him well, but I expect his frustrations will continue in Seattle.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #33
brickmantexanfan
Veteran

Send a message via MSN to brickmantexanfan Send a message via Yahoo to brickmantexanfan

[quote=TexFan58]Jamie Sharper made this statement to Seattle Press "I wanted to get back to a quality team that has a chance to win a championship," Sharper said. I was thinking that he was on a quality team here in Houston. [/QUOTE

I think i will put that quote on the back of my Greenwood Jersey
Old 04-22-2005   #34
texansfan88
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy
We should remember what a unique situation this was with Sharper. He was coming off a championship with the Ravens when we plucked him from there. He never chose to be a Texan and yet he endured 2 ugly years of expansion football and a third disappointing season while in the prime of his career. I don't think that one little comment about the frustration of losing games is out of line or unforgivable....

The truth is, I believe, the team wanted to move on and get faster and more athletic at LB. I wish him well, but I expect his frustrations will continue in Seattle.
He just needs to remember the other 54 guys that were bustin their tails out there with him b4 he makes comments about the quality of team he plays on.
texansfan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #35
Chawky1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bomb
He left a team whose window is opening to join a team whose window is closing FAST, that if its not closed already. He better pray seattle has a great season cause Holmgrem's chair was heating up last year and if they don't play up to expectations he is gone and there goes that excellant coaching staff he was talking about.
I would have agreed with that assessment earlier in the offseason, but I don't think it holds true now. With new management, we have trimmed away a lot of older, oft injured, and players with attitudes not buying into the system for young vet talent. Our defense will have a good five new starters at this point, and they will almost all be proven players with a few years of NFL experience, not like bringing in a newly drafted player and plugging them in. This defense will be vastly improved, so don't use last years D performance as an indicator of this years when 1/2 of our D will be different.

On another note, there seems to be a lot of whining and animosity on here. What do you expect him to say. When we lost Lucas this offseason, he bashed us as well. Something to the effect of wanting to go a team with a real D-line, a team who could actually generate a pass rush and give him some help so he wasn't on an island even moreso than what the position entails.

And one final thing, if you don't upgrade that horrid O-line, there won't be a win in Seattle this year for your team. While I think we have more talent on paper at this point, the draft, training camp, and then preseason, (signings and injuries) will be something to watch prior to making any bold statements about who you can beat.
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #36
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 114610 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawky1
And one final thing, if you don't upgrade that horrid O-line, there won't be a win in Seattle this year for your team. While I think we have more talent on paper at this point, the draft, training camp, and then preseason, (signings and injuries) will be something to watch prior to making any bold statements about who you can beat.
While I agree in sentiment about our O-Line (God knows it needs some help), Seattle didn't exactly dominate against "good" competition last year either. Who knows, if the Texans got to play SanFran twice last year, we might've been 9-7 too. :woot

The bottom line is, it's simply not something Sharper should've said, especially when he'll be facing his former team on the schedule this season. As someone mentioned before though, professonal athletes tend to have issues with 'subtle', when pumping up themselves / new organizations.
disaacks3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #37
Chawky1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
While I agree in sentiment about our O-Line (God knows it needs some help), Seattle didn't exactly dominate against "good" competition last year either. Who knows, if the Texans got to play SanFran twice last year, we might've been 9-7 too. :woot

The bottom line is, it's simply not something Sharper should've said, especially when he'll be facing his former team on the schedule this season. As someone mentioned before though, professonal athletes tend to have issues with 'subtle', when pumping up themselves / new organizations.
I would say most players, except for the really really classy types, or older vets making their final rounds in the league, most players like to get a parting shot. Think about it from your own life, if you feel like maybe you have been wronged or want to make a point, doesn't it feel good to have the last word, especially in a public platform when you know your voice will be heard.

Do I agree with this, no.....but does it happen, of course. While I don't think Sharper should have said that, I don't thing it was all that bad and didn't strike me as being overly hostile. There has been much worse said by other players about their former teams. I need to find the entire verbatim Ken Lucas quote about the Seahawks, he flat out embarassed the Seahawks. In fact, there was speculation that his words played part in the massive D revamping this offseason. I think this Sharper thing is being blown way out of proportion, and I think it IS valid to an extent. Much like the Lucas quote was dead on about the Seahawks.

As for the Seahawks, they were decimated by injuries last year, third string guys being pushed into duty in some cases. And picking up guys pretty much off the street. Couple that with our craptastic D coordinator and there is your recipe for disaster. Yeah, they underachieved but there were some valid reasons why.
Chawky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #38
JustBonee
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3
I totally agree with that.
And I have to agree with Chawky1 too ... what did you expect him to say?
It was pretty tame compared to what many players say when they switch teams.
JustBonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #39
LBC_Justin
All Pro

Rep Power: 11 LBC_Justin is a Pro BowlerLBC_Justin is a Pro Bowler

I have no bad things to say about Sharper. He was a good guy and I think we squeezed his full potential out of him, he was a overacheiver. Unfortuantely his full potential was not enough especially with how high his salary was.

Expect him to have a few average years and then fade away. Again I liked the guy and appeciate the effort he gave the Texans.
LBC_Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005   #40
FILO_girl
I'm not here

Rep Power: 63 FILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respectedFILO_girl is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chawky1
I would have agreed with that assessment earlier in the offseason, but I don't think it holds true now. With new management, we have trimmed away a lot of older, oft injured, and players with attitudes not buying into the system for young vet talent. Our defense will have a good five new starters at this point, and they will almost all be proven players with a few years of NFL experience, not like bringing in a newly drafted player and plugging them in. This defense will be vastly improved, so don't use last years D performance as an indicator of this years when 1/2 of our D will be different.

On another note, there seems to be a lot of whining and animosity on here. What do you expect him to say. When we lost Lucas this offseason, he bashed us as well. Something to the effect of wanting to go a team with a real D-line, a team who could actually generate a pass rush and give him some help so he wasn't on an island even moreso than what the position entails.

Hello again Chawky1!
Good, balanced post. Much appreciated and point of view shared, for the most part. Do you think that Holmy is really in that hot of a seat if the Hawks don't get farther post-season this year?
FILO_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read