Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Sharpers Quote

TexFan58

Practice Squad
Jamie Sharper made this statement to Seattle Press "I wanted to get back to a quality team that has a chance to win a championship," Sharper said. I was thinking that he was on a quality team here in Houston. :hmmm:

The problem with Jamie Sharper was his lack of leadership. He felt he was Batman, without the overall skills, and is a better Robin. He's a good middle linebacker that played in Ray Lewis' shadow, and was overrated to be "The GUY" in Houston. Given a motivated, energetic, leader to play with, it would elevate his game, and he would play better in H-Town. Watch what happens in Seattle. They feel there getting an upgrade, by letting Brown go......They got another thing coming. The old quote is, you never know what you have until its' gone, and he's gonna be crying because he left the Texans. A class organization, headed in the right direction. Seattle has a bunch of cry babies, underachieving players and coach, and a franchise of instability after not making the playoffs next year. The Texans will be better up the middle with Wong and Greenwoods speed! The Texans wont miss him, he'll miss us........bet on that! :thumbup

Bah, I don't take offense. Players coming into new teams want to be as positive as possible, and play up the new organization as much as they can. He might harbor a little resentment somewhere inside for the Texans, but I don't think he has a vendetta against us. However, I do agree with your sentiment of wanting to see DD knock the crizap out of him when we face off.

TexFan58 said:
Jamie Sharper made this statement to Seattle Press "I wanted to get back to a quality team that has a chance to win a championship," Sharper said. I was thinking that he was on a quality team here in Houston. :hmmm:
Big time message board material for the Texans when we visit the NW this Fall.

TexFan58 said:

I'd like to see a link on that before I make a rash statement. Anyone have this? This is something I have to see for myself.

Texans Pride said:
I'd like to see a link on that before I make a rash statement. Anyone have this? This is something I have to see for myself.

.....if that makes you feel any better than so be it.

link

To whom it may concern:

If you wish to voice your displeasure at Sharper's comments, please do.

If you try to use colorful language or get cute with the filter in doing so, you're wasting both of our time.

He is just venting from frustration. I dont think he meant to say that we arent a quality organization.

So basically Jamie what you are telling us is you are a follower not a leader correct? I mean, you couldn't turn this team around, so we're going to go where you can be surrounded with more talented players and win a championship the followers way, correct?

Have fun in the NFC West loser. A blind ethiopian could make plays over there in that weak division

NOTE: never had a problem w/ Sharper until this comment.

I am of the opinion that the ugliness didn't really start until around April 1st. He is still a good quality player, regardless of what he spouted now. We will never know what happend behind closed doors with this release. I will sit back and see if he says anything else on the subject.

http://www.seahawks.com/ardisplay.aspx?SecID=45&ID=5370
"I wanted to get back to a quality team that definitely has a chance to win a championship, and I think they have that in Seattle, said Sharper. "Coach Holmgren won it in Green Bay, Ray Rhodes has won it in San Francisco, and it's a great coaching staff. So that along with the quality of players they have on the team already, it was just a good fit."
Ummm, Jamie....what have they done LATELY? Don't believe the Squacks have done squat post-season. Ever.

I like Holmy though, but liked him better with the Pack than with the Squacks.

That quote will likely sting the Texans players like the Jimmy Redmond shot on Moses has...Especially those guys like Glenn, Coleman, Payne, Dunta, Andre and Carr who have worked overtime to hone their skills, and for him to say that, it's gotta make you a bit upset

It certainly fits into the comments he made last year. He was obviously unhappy about something. Time will tell whether he was correct about his assement of what was happening in Houston. Was he the problem or was something else the problem? It is sort of like the Buchannon situation. Buchannon sounds a lot happier here and sounds like he's enthused about playing in Houstion. Sometimes its just a conflict of personalities. Remember, Buchannon said some his cohorts weren't giving it their all. (That was attributed to him, but I forget where I read it. I was kind of surprised by the comment.) Sounds a little like Sharper. Its time to move on lets hope we don't regret the move and that Buchannon turns out to be everything they think he is for us.

texansfan88 said:
That quote will likely sting the Texans players like the Jimmy Redmond shot on Moses has...Especially those guys like Glenn, Coleman, Payne, Dunta, Andre and Carr who have worked overtime to hone their skills, and for him to say that, it's gotta make you a bit upset

Hope Capers posts it on the wall. I would love to see revenge...er...aggressive play in Seattle. I believe a win is very achieveable at this point in time. I see Dyson is now a Squack too, been lots of wheeling and dealing in Nirvanaland this season. :hmmm:

I will re-write the winning song for the Squackfans...
"Smells like Texan Spirit" - 10.16.05 :woot
(I do miss Kurt Cobain though, I like Nirvana)

He left a team whose window is opening to join a team whose window is closing FAST, that if its not closed already. He better pray seattle has a great season cause Holmgrem's chair was heating up last year and if they don't play up to expectations he is gone and there goes that excellant coaching staff he was talking about.

I'm in the minority here, but I have no problem with that statement for a couple of reasons:

1) It is self-serving. He was cut by us and signed with another team. Of course, he's going to sing their praises.

2) He may very well believe that because they were a playoff team last season. Typically, athletes have a difficult time grasping the subtle. He knows they were a playoff team and we were not. We all know that 2005 is a new year and we will be somewhere around where Seattle was last season, but that is forward thinking. Who knows, maybe he has an ego and sees himself as their missing link.

FILO_girl said:
Hope Capers posts it on the wall. I would love to see revenge...er...aggressive play in Seattle. I believe a win is very achieveable at this point in time. I see Dyson is now a Squack too, been lots of wheeling and dealing in Nirvanaland this season. :hmmm:

I will re-write the winning song for the Squackfans...
"Smells like Texan Spirit" - 10.16.05 :woot
(I do miss Kurt Cobain though, I like Nirvana)

Good trip Filo. . . Good trip girl!

Typically, athletes have a difficult time grasping the subtle.

not only is this a gross generalization, but

1. i've never heard/thought of this as an professional athlete stereotype

and

2. i am a former athlete and part of me is offended by that statement...

just seems WAY off base :confused:

Good riddance to a good player. MLB's are supposed to the baddest dudes on the team. Scottie Sharper, I mean Jamie Pippen, you know who I mean, was a good MLB, not one of the baddest. The Texans are definately upgrading the D this year. Look out, Indy...dare I say...sweep???? :woot

Lucky said:
Boselli jerseys feel their pain. :bag:
Now THAT is funny. Hope Sharper saved one of each so he can savor the good old days when he played for us.

I wanted to get back to a quality team that has a chance to win a championship,

This comment doesn't really strike a nerve with me...It was obvious to me when Carr (I think it was) made the comment that it's time for us to start expecting to win instead of hoping to win...I realize that a couple losing years can be harsh on you, but IMO we should have already had that attitude...I don't know if I'm off base here, but it seems like something isn't/wasn't right in the lockerroom...

I can understand where he is coming from. Sharper came from a championship team to an expansion team, and basically had to start all over. I do not like the fact that he made those comments to the media; it is disrespectful towards our team. I feel we showed him respect by letting him go early so he could catch up with another team, he did not show us respect in return. . .I want to see him sucking wind on October 16!

Well lets be fair guys, the Seahawks are not thaaaaat bad. Frankly Houston isn't any closer to a championship, eventhough we are on the upside.

I do agree... this is just a comment to make the hawkers feel good. I don't see this as a shot. I woudn't put this anywhere near the level of Terrell Owens vs. the Ravens. :whistle:

texansfan88 said:
So basically Jamie what you are telling us is you are a follower not a leader correct? I mean, you couldn't turn this team around, so we're going to go where you can be surrounded with more talented players and win a championship the followers way, correct?

Have fun in the NFC West loser. A blind ethiopian could make plays over there in that weak division

NOTE: never had a problem w/ Sharper until this comment.

I still don't. You can't blame Sharper for our lack luster play at times. The guy played solid for us for 3 years and was a fan favorite. He probably thought he would retire a Texan and instead became a cap casualty. I'm sure he would have liked to see this building process through to the playoffs. He may still be a little bitter. It is the nfl. He'll get over it but don't turn on him for some off the cuff comments.

Hulk75 said:
Forget this guy.........I hope, NO I KNOW we are going to smoke these guys when we see them! Why do guys wait to say things after they leave! I think he is in denial about getting old.

We should remember what a unique situation this was with Sharper. He was coming off a championship with the Ravens when we plucked him from there. He never chose to be a Texan and yet he endured 2 ugly years of expansion football and a third disappointing season while in the prime of his career. I don't think that one little comment about the frustration of losing games is out of line or unforgivable....

The truth is, I believe, the team wanted to move on and get faster and more athletic at LB. I wish him well, but I expect his frustrations will continue in Seattle.

TexFan58 said:
Jamie Sharper made this statement to Seattle Press "I wanted to get back to a quality team that has a chance to win a championship," Sharper said. I was thinking that he was on a quality team here in Houston. :hmmm:[/QUOTE

I think i will put that quote on the back of my Greenwood Jersey

dalemurphy said:
We should remember what a unique situation this was with Sharper. He was coming off a championship with the Ravens when we plucked him from there. He never chose to be a Texan and yet he endured 2 ugly years of expansion football and a third disappointing season while in the prime of his career. I don't think that one little comment about the frustration of losing games is out of line or unforgivable....

The truth is, I believe, the team wanted to move on and get faster and more athletic at LB. I wish him well, but I expect his frustrations will continue in Seattle.
He just needs to remember the other 54 guys that were bustin their tails out there with him b4 he makes comments about the quality of team he plays on.

Carr Bomb said:
He left a team whose window is opening to join a team whose window is closing FAST, that if its not closed already. He better pray seattle has a great season cause Holmgrem's chair was heating up last year and if they don't play up to expectations he is gone and there goes that excellant coaching staff he was talking about.

I would have agreed with that assessment earlier in the offseason, but I don't think it holds true now. With new management, we have trimmed away a lot of older, oft injured, and players with attitudes not buying into the system for young vet talent. Our defense will have a good five new starters at this point, and they will almost all be proven players with a few years of NFL experience, not like bringing in a newly drafted player and plugging them in. This defense will be vastly improved, so don't use last years D performance as an indicator of this years when 1/2 of our D will be different.

On another note, there seems to be a lot of whining and animosity on here. What do you expect him to say. When we lost Lucas this offseason, he bashed us as well. Something to the effect of wanting to go a team with a real D-line, a team who could actually generate a pass rush and give him some help so he wasn't on an island even moreso than what the position entails.

And one final thing, if you don't upgrade that horrid O-line, there won't be a win in Seattle this year for your team. While I think we have more talent on paper at this point, the draft, training camp, and then preseason, (signings and injuries) will be something to watch prior to making any bold statements about who you can beat.

Chawky1 said:
And one final thing, if you don't upgrade that horrid O-line, there won't be a win in Seattle this year for your team. While I think we have more talent on paper at this point, the draft, training camp, and then preseason, (signings and injuries) will be something to watch prior to making any bold statements about who you can beat.
While I agree in sentiment about our O-Line (God knows it needs some help), Seattle didn't exactly dominate against "good" competition last year either. Who knows, if the Texans got to play SanFran twice last year, we might've been 9-7 too. :woot

The bottom line is, it's simply not something Sharper should've said, especially when he'll be facing his former team on the schedule this season. As someone mentioned before though, professonal athletes tend to have issues with 'subtle', when pumping up themselves / new organizations.

disaacks3 said:
While I agree in sentiment about our O-Line (God knows it needs some help), Seattle didn't exactly dominate against "good" competition last year either. Who knows, if the Texans got to play SanFran twice last year, we might've been 9-7 too. :woot

The bottom line is, it's simply not something Sharper should've said, especially when he'll be facing his former team on the schedule this season. As someone mentioned before though, professonal athletes tend to have issues with 'subtle', when pumping up themselves / new organizations.

I would say most players, except for the really really classy types, or older vets making their final rounds in the league, most players like to get a parting shot. Think about it from your own life, if you feel like maybe you have been wronged or want to make a point, doesn't it feel good to have the last word, especially in a public platform when you know your voice will be heard.

Do I agree with this, no.....but does it happen, of course. While I don't think Sharper should have said that, I don't thing it was all that bad and didn't strike me as being overly hostile. There has been much worse said by other players about their former teams. I need to find the entire verbatim Ken Lucas quote about the Seahawks, he flat out embarassed the Seahawks. In fact, there was speculation that his words played part in the massive D revamping this offseason. I think this Sharper thing is being blown way out of proportion, and I think it IS valid to an extent. Much like the Lucas quote was dead on about the Seahawks.

As for the Seahawks, they were decimated by injuries last year, third string guys being pushed into duty in some cases. And picking up guys pretty much off the street. Couple that with our craptastic D coordinator and there is your recipe for disaster. Yeah, they underachieved but there were some valid reasons why.

disaacks3 said:
I totally agree with that.
And I have to agree with Chawky1 too ... what did you expect him to say?
It was pretty tame compared to what many players say when they switch teams.

I have no bad things to say about Sharper. He was a good guy and I think we squeezed his full potential out of him, he was a overacheiver. Unfortuantely his full potential was not enough especially with how high his salary was.

Expect him to have a few average years and then fade away. Again I liked the guy and appeciate the effort he gave the Texans.

Chawky1 said:
I would have agreed with that assessment earlier in the offseason, but I don't think it holds true now. With new management, we have trimmed away a lot of older, oft injured, and players with attitudes not buying into the system for young vet talent. Our defense will have a good five new starters at this point, and they will almost all be proven players with a few years of NFL experience, not like bringing in a newly drafted player and plugging them in. This defense will be vastly improved, so don't use last years D performance as an indicator of this years when 1/2 of our D will be different.

On another note, there seems to be a lot of whining and animosity on here. What do you expect him to say. When we lost Lucas this offseason, he bashed us as well. Something to the effect of wanting to go a team with a real D-line, a team who could actually generate a pass rush and give him some help so he wasn't on an island even moreso than what the position entails.

Hello again Chawky1!
Good, balanced post. Much appreciated and point of view shared, for the most part. Do you think that Holmy is really in that hot of a seat if the Hawks don't get farther post-season this year?

It's not whining or animosity. Many of us said we appreciated him while he was here. We just figured, he would have been a bit more respectful than to say we don't have a chance of winning a championship.

I understand he is trying to build up his hopes with the Seahawks but they are on the way down and we are on the way up and he knows it or he wouldn't have said it....I like their coach and they have a few good player but they still don't have a quality QB and we are still building ...Each year our team has made improvements and I feel this is just another building block toward our championship run!!!! The Houston Texans are going to be fine without Sharper but I do wish him all the best along with all the other Texans that have left during the off season. Furthmore, the Texans are a quality organization that has the TEAM not individual goals come first and that is where the difference will be when you see our team con't to build and the Seahawks fall...individuals vs. TEAM!!!

Geaux TEXANS!!!

James H.
Baton Rouge, LA

So Jamie Sharper is glad he is gone from the Texans... good I think there are a few Texans who are glad he's gone as well. Dont get me wrong I liked jamie. Jamie was a good tackler and led our team in tackles the last couple of years, but let's not forget this is a system designed to get the ILB's tackles by funneling the run there so I fully expect his replacement to get just as many (maybe more) . At the salary Jamie was making he was a major cap cocern on this team,he was getting to old and he was not a leader. Now with the upgraded speed and attitude on defense I like our team alot more.
As far as Jamie's parting shot it was'nt really all that bad just unaccurate, he's leaving for a team on the decline (wether Seahawk fans want to admit it or not), does he really believe a team who had half their wins against the Niners and Cardinals (lets not forget the defensivly inept Rams) are a team on the verge of a championship. The Texans who went 4-2 against a tough division (Colts, Jags, Titans) are definatly on the way up and if they played last year in the NFC would have been in the playoffs.
So in parting good luck in Seattle Jamie I hope you do well I just have the feeling your going to regret what you said while at home watching the Texans go on their playoff run.

TexFan58 said:

The "quality team" part doesn't sound right. But who can argue with the "chance to win a championship" part. I mean, if you were to ask the Las Vegas oddsmakers what the odds are of the Seahawks or the Texans winning the Super Bowl in either 2005 or 2006, I would be willing to bet they would give Seattle the better odds. The lines are already out for 2005 and the Seahawks have much better odds than the Texans. So it's pretty tough to fault him on the championship part of the quote.

at the peak of his career this guy gets put on an expansion team's roster. Not once did i hear Sharper complain about being a Texan. He played hard for our city & i wish him the best.

Back