Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-30-2011   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 111406 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Going through Pittsburgh

Almost 30 years ago when I was a little kid I remember the talk of the town. My dad and the neighbors would say "The road to the Super Bowl goes through Pittsburgh". I was 4. I remember it because my grandfather (a steelers fan back then) used to say the same thing when he came in town. I didn't know much about football, really anything... but I did know that saying.

This year, the road to the playoffs goes through Pittsburgh.

Lets be honest. We should punch Indy in the mouth. Indy doesn't really test us. Sure they test our new secondary... sure they test our offense but if we beat Indy that doesn't really tell us much because we hit them in the mouth last year. Partially because they were soft... they ARE a finesse team. If this team is going to be successful it will be because we are physical. That is on the defense. Miami can't tell us, they would actually have to be good. The Saints, they don't qualify either. Well maybe, they did let go of Shrub but I still think its the Pittsburgh game that is the tell all book.

I don't really question the offense so much as the defense. We know the offense (though it didn't do it as much last year) is capable of coming out and stunning the other team... but what about the defense? We had one game (SD?) that the special teams turned the tide (we wound up losing that game too for the record) but I want the defense to come out, smack the opponent and walk off the field handing a bloodied glove to the offense. If we get to the Pitt game and we see Cushing running over people, if Manning is throwing his body around... if Mario is shucking T's and Jenkinsing TEs then this team has arrived. This season isn't about if we can beat Indy... of course we can. We might not, given the short schedule... and of course it will be billed as the biggest game in franchise history (really? again?). Its not. We won that one last year. Then we basically flushed the rest of the season down the toilet. No, if you want the biggest game of our season, its Pittsburgh. We can go into that game 1-2, 2-1 3-0, it doesn't matter really. Win that game, 2-2 and life is grand (until we find out if this team can play well after an emotional win that is).

Anyone remember the Pittsburgh game a few years ago? Going for it on 4th down? Yeah... that game. Lets be honest, again. In the Kubiak era, has this team smacked any "heavy hitting" team in the mouth? Maybe Baltimore last year, we at least fought back. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think I am. I think it is exactly what we think it is. How have we fared against the Jets? Yes our offense has been suspect, but that happens against the Jets. Our problem? We've let them bitchslap our entire defense, Jenkins not withstanding. Dallas manhandled us, so did NY. We demolished cincy two years ago... oh wait, that's another from the softer side. Yes, this team needs toughness and that comes from the defense.

I'm not making a predication because I don't think ANYONE knows about this team. We've got the pieces but we've had them before. We had a candy ass Defensive coordinator (thanks smithiak that's all on you-- thanks bob for hiring a real DC) the last several years and honestly, name a hard hitting team that our defense has pushed around. In the last 4 years? I get it, Kubiak is an offensive guy... I have no problem with that really but why do we hire DCs that I would rather fight than my grandmother?

Hopefully we pass that test.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Agree with 99% of that.

Disagree that Bob escapes accountability for the hiring of TWO candy ass d-coords with no d-coord experience among both of 'em.

Bob signs the checks. Bob has the ultimate control. "Trusting your GM and head coach" should not go so far as to let them hire any geek off the street. They gotta' be handy with the steel if you know what I mean. Earn their keep.

New name for the defense should be The Regulators.
Old 07-30-2011   #3
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Going through Pittsburgh

Nice post. It makes sense to me )and I'd definitely like to beat Pittsburgh because it's my wife's team).

I'd give you rep but I guess I did recently and must spread some first!!
Old 07-30-2011   #4
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Ohhhhh how I remember the Luv Ya Blue era. I still hate Pittsburgh more than any team in the AFC. That's mostly jealousy, though.
Old 07-30-2011   #5
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Mike, VS Pittsburgh game always has been special one to me. I am much closer to your dad's age and I lived in Houston back in Luv Ya Blue era. Now with Wade as our D coordinator, Pittsburgh game means a lot more than in the past personally.

Agree, we need to go through Pittsburgh and Win in a physical game to prove ourselves that we are tough and tough enough to slug it out with any team.

I also believe, it is very important for us to win many divisional games as possible. But yes, to win a physical game means a lot to our team.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #6
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Ohhhhh how I remember the Luv Ya Blue era. I still hate Pittsburgh more than any team in the AFC. That's mostly jealousy, though.
I don't hate Pittsburgh at all.

Raiders, Jets, Patriots, Titans, Jacksoffville.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #7
Patriotsmuse
Veteran

Rep Power: 915 Patriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respectedPatriotsmuse is a quality contributor and well respected

It's a tough schedule and front loaded before the bye week.
The unknown is how Texans stand up against the Saints . I believe the pre season opener will set the tone .

If The right players have stay healthy. If Off season additions fit almost perfectly. If The defense plays opportunistic . If The coach has enough swag to occasionally ignore odds in favor of guts and feel. And If handful of injury replacements plug in and not allow a drop-off.

Then Pittsburgh 's just one of many.
Patriotsmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2011   #8
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 38175 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Never really hated the Steelers more than I just hated how the Oilers would lose in ways.

Anyway...yeah I can roll with this.

I expect 2-1 going into that game...we better be. At worst, 1-2.
Old 07-30-2011   #9
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79339 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotsmuse View Post
It's a tough schedule and front loaded before the bye week.
The unknown is how Texans stand up against the Saints . I believe the pre season opener will set the tone .

If The right players have stay healthy. If Off season additions fit almost perfectly. If The defense plays opportunistic . If The coach has enough swag to occasionally ignore odds in favor of guts and feel. And If handful of injury replacements plug in and not allow a drop-off.

Then Pittsburgh 's just one of many.
I know you're new and I don't want to step on your toes, but please good Lord, the "swag" stuff has got to go.

/general rant on anyone that uses that word
Old 07-30-2011   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I know you're new and I don't want to step on your toes, but please good Lord, the "swag" stuff has got to go.

/general rant on anyone that uses that word
Were you also mentally scarred by the Swagger Jagger song?
Old 07-30-2011   #11
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

A SWAG is a Scientific Wild Assed Guess.
Old 07-30-2011   #12
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Is that game here or at Pittsburgh?
Old 07-30-2011   #13
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17309 Texas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respectedTexas T is a quality contributor and well respected

it's in Houston
Old 07-30-2011   #14
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

The road to the playoffs does NOT go through Pittsburgh. While, I too agree with you in concept, we can lose to Pittsburgh and still make the playoffs.

The road to the playoffs is the same this year as it has been every year we fall short...

Win division games. 0-6, 1-5, 2-4 even 3-3 doesn't work for any team with playoff aspirations.

It starts week 1... again this year.
Old 07-30-2011   #15
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by _superMario90_ View Post
The road to the playoffs does NOT go through Pittsburgh. While, I too agree with you in concept, we can lose to Pittsburgh and still make the playoffs.

The road to the playoffs is the same this year as it has been every year we fall short...

Win division games. 0-6, 1-5, 2-4 even 3-3 doesn't work for any team with playoff aspirations.

It starts week 1... again this year.
I don't think you see what he's talking about here....
Old 07-30-2011   #16
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Were you also mentally scarred by the Swagger Jagger song?
I'm really glad I have no clue what that is.
Old 07-30-2011   #17
Texas T
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
I'm really glad I have no clue what that is.
You are one lucky person if you didn't get sucked into that discussion...
Old 07-30-2011   #18
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I don't think you see what he's talking about here....
I believe I do.. Houston's D is not a smash mouth style team. whatever.

The greatest show on turf wasn't either.. They were opportunistic because they new other teams had to press offensively to keep up for any chance at a win.

THAT is what I think the Texans are better suited for... not where this thread is wishing we could go.
Old 07-30-2011   #19
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 163364 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Someone posted an interview with Michael Lombardi the last few days in a thread I can not remember. He has been questioning the Texans toughness for years now. Why doesnt someone on the coaching staff or a player use these types of comments as bulletin board material to fire these guys up. Make them want to stand up and say hey 'We are here and we are NOT leaving!"

First 6 games this season will show if they have gotten any tougher this year:

Colts, Dolphins, Saints, Steelers, Raiders, Ravens.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas T View Post
it's in Houston
Have a way better feeling about it then than if it's at Heinz (or 3 rivers or whatever the **** that field is called now). Honestly I think the true test is the Ravens game at Balty.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read