Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Is Leach the Key to Foster's Success?
Yes 22 40.00%
No 33 60.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-30-2011   #1
Schaub2Dre
Rookie

Section: Gridiron Sideline!!
Rep Power: 0 Schaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respectedSchaub2Dre is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Do you really think Foster's Success is Linked to Leach?

Vonta has been here since the beginning of the Kubiak era and has started all 16 games for the past four seasons.

Here is the breakdown for total team rushing yards for since the Texans began play in 2002:

2002: 1,347
2003: 1,651
2004: 1,882
2005: 1,816
2006: 1,687
2007: 1,586
2008: 1,846
2009: 1,475
2010: 2,042

If you average the 4 Capers years, the average team rushing yards was 1,674.

Now if you just average the first 4 years Leach has been here(2006-2009) the average was 1649. 25 yards lower than the Capers era.

You guys obviously know that in 2010, it was the largest rushing total for the team ever when Arian Foster started.

So it brings me to my point, is Leach honestly the key to Foster's success? or are there other reasons why he had the season he did (ie; Fosters actual talent and drive to succeed, the addition of Wade Smith, O-line Chemistry, Chris Meyers' improvement, etc.)

If Leach is gone because of the money, I honestly would be okay with that. The team found Leach from the scrapheap, i'm sure they can find a competent replacement to him.

In conclusion, if Leach comes back, great. If not, i'm not going to be crying over him and proclaiming our rushing game is over.
Schaub2Dre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #2
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Do you really think Foster's Success is Linked to Leach?

It has been repeated a lot:this offense Kubiak runs can make a godo RB. Terrell Davis in Denver was another great example. The RB still has to run it though but it does make it easier.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #3
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
It has been repeated a lot:this offense Kubiak runs can make a godo RB. Terrell Davis in Denver was another great example. The RB still has to run it though but it does make it easier.
The Denver offense makes mediocre RBS look good, good look great, and great look like top players. During the Shanny run in Denver they only had 2 elite rbs: Portis and Davis. When they were there they were top RBs in the league.

But, the key to the offense is creating a hole. Having a stud FB to bash a hole makes it easier for everyone involved. Leach has always been great at busting up a hole. The problem is he has never had anyone quick enough to take advantage of it. While Ron Dayne would get to the hole and get 3 yards, Foster gets 9. While Dayne broke off a 15 yard run, Foster broke off 55.

We need to resign Leach.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #4
TheBigpaki
Veteran

Rep Power: 760 TheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respectedTheBigpaki is a quality contributor and well respected

I heard a stat on sports radio 610 saying Leach was only on the field for 38% of offense plays, and not all the plays were running play. So I don't know how much he really made an impact. I think Foster's success can be attributed to having the perfect guy for a system. Foster is an ideal one-cut and go Running Back.
TheBigpaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

For me it is both Leach's devastating blocks and Foster's power. We have had runners behind Leach who did nothing compared to Foster. I think Foster behind another good if not great Fb woud do almost as well. I would still sign Leach if possible. I would trade a 2&4 for Asante Samuel & try to work something For Shane Lechler.
Old 07-30-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
The Denver offense makes mediocre RBS look good, good look great, and great look like top players. During the Shanny run in Denver they only had 2 elite rbs: Portis and Davis. When they were there they were top RBs in the league.

But, the key to the offense is creating a hole. Having a stud FB to bash a hole makes it easier for everyone involved. Leach has always been great at busting up a hole. The problem is he has never had anyone quick enough to take advantage of it. While Ron Dayne would get to the hole and get 3 yards, Foster gets 9. While Dayne broke off a 15 yard run, Foster broke off 55.

We need to resign Leach.
Until I see proof that Dayne had a 15 yd run, I'm hollering BS on this. LOL
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #7
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

It's not a 100% or 0% proposition. Yes Fosters success is linked to Leach but not so much so that we need to do whatever he demands.
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2011   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster got quite a few of his yds out of a single back set. I think Leach is an important piece of the puzzle, but not the key piece. I hope we can re-sign him.
Old 07-30-2011   #9
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 115041 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Better hope not:

Quote:
nfldraftupdate #Broncos reportedly up the ante on their offer for #Texans free agent FB Vonta Leach. The 2010 All-Pro FB is highly sought after right now.
Old 07-30-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DX-TEX View Post
Better hope not:
Within reason, of course.
Old 07-30-2011   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 197411 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I believe his value in short yardage and goal line situations is too easily underestimated. Especially in the latter where the field is so compressed, the light weight nimble O-line looses it effectiveness and a lead plow with mass and power becomes invaluable.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #12
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Until I see proof that Dayne had a 15 yd run, I'm hollering BS on this. LOL
http://www.pro-football-reference.co...D/DaynRo00.htm

Take a look at LNG rushing in 2006 and 2007(when he was in Htown). 19 yards was his longest carry in 2006 and 39 in 2007!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I believe his value in short yardage and goal line situations is too easily underestimated. Especially in the latter where the field is so compressed, the light weight nimble O-line looses it effectiveness and a lead plow with mass and power becomes invaluable.
We should gameplan to stay out of these situations on offense and defense.
Old 07-30-2011   #14
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 103631 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

something that cant be overstated is vonta's health over his career, including playing in every game the last 4+ seasons. for a human battering ram, that's quite a feat and one of the things making his request to be highly paid a somewhat reasonable one.
Old 07-30-2011   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 281155 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we'll lose an element of smashmouth, ball(clock) control without Leach .... and I do think we lose him on dollars.

There's a team chemistry loss too as he's tight with AJ/Foster/etc.
Old 07-30-2011   #16
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
something that cant be overstated is vonta's health over his career, including playing in every game the last 4+ seasons. for a human battering ram, that's quite a feat and one of the things making his request to be highly paid a somewhat reasonable one.
Law of averages says he is overdue for a breakdown then.

Sorry to be a debbie downer but it is true.
Old 07-30-2011   #17
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

There are plenty of good FB's available for cheap. Save the money and use it on defense. That is if he sticks to his current demands to be the highest payed FB.
Old 07-30-2011   #18
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

YES! Simply because Arian Foster said so!! Don't ask the fans, ask the man Vonte blocked for!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #19
Trail.Blazr
All Pro

Rep Power: 19086 Trail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respectedTrail.Blazr is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest reason is the O-Line. I'm going to try and remember the last time a Texans line was as good as it was last year?
Old 07-30-2011   #20
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 60283 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Losing him would be devastating. Not because Foster isn't capable of doing it by himself, but....it would be a really bad thing.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read