Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2011   #1
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Was Manning a starting Safety for Bears ?

http://boards.chicagobears.com/forum...d/2683361.aspx

I thought he was starting Safety. I remember seeing him play in the Superbowl a few years back and he played very well. hmmm am i missing something ?
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #2
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Was Manning a starting Safety for Bears ?

Part of a 3 man rotation, took >75% of the snaps
Old 07-29-2011   #3
redwhiteANDblue
Color of Texans

Rep Power: 5007 redwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteANDblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Man they don't look too high on this guy
Old 07-29-2011   #4
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Strangely, in April, there was a "Must Resign Manning" thread. Unfortunately, the thread no longer exists (and I can't find an Archive.)

From what I saw of the responses, there were some who liked Manning and some who didn't. Some of them looked like they were holding his first couple of years against him.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 195710 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I am more interested in does he have the speed (4.47) and skills (hip swivle, back pedal and lateral movement) to play safety in Wade's defense. I think he does. Better yet Wade does.
Old 07-29-2011   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 91809 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Strangely, in April, there was a "Must Resign Manning" thread. Unfortunately, the thread no longer exists (and I can't find an Archive.)

From what I saw of the responses, there were some who liked Manning and some who didn't. Some of them looked like they were holding his first couple of years against him.
He really didn't put it all together until last season, so a lot of people figure him to be a contract-year only guy. . .

Which is still better than what we had on the roster last year at this spot. Or any year really.
Old 07-29-2011   #7
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
he really didn't put it all together until last season, so a lot of people figure him to be a contract-year only guy. . .

which is still better than what we had on the roster last year at this spot. Or any year really.
this
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2011   #8
pirbroke
All Pro

Rep Power: 12954 pirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respectedpirbroke is a quality contributor and well respected

Man reading the bears forum I am having flashbacks of phillip buchanon, please tell me that's not the case here.
pirbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 352717 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Man reading the bears forum I am having flashbacks of phillip buchanon, please tell me that's not the case here.
76Texan has been looking at the games and he's liked what he's seen.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #10
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 74340 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Bears defense statistics is all we need to know about the guy from last year in my opinion. They had success and he was part of it.
Old 07-30-2011   #11
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Rep Power: 127721 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

yeah i went to find a thread on how they should of resigned him and found that thought it was interesting
Old 07-30-2011   #12
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...ing-diving-INT

good hands
Old 07-30-2011   #13
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
76Texan has been looking at the games and he's liked what he's seen.
They made him an offer that was pretty nice last year.
He refused that offer (business as usual).

One side didn't want to break the bank (especially when they're known to have pretty good defenses over the years; ie. they take steps to develop players).

The other side knows that he can command better in the FA market.

An organization shouldn't allow itself to be taken hostage.
It can only do so much in a flux market like the NFL today.

Manning isn't the biggest hitter nor the greatest ballhawk.
He isn't a franchise player that a team must have.
He's a good player that can make a team better.

You've got to pay to play, all I'm saying!
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #14
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
http://boards.chicagobears.com/forum...d/2683361.aspx

I thought he was starting Safety. I remember seeing him play in the Superbowl a few years back and he played very well. hmmm am i missing something ?
Does it matter he could have been third string on CLear lake HS Falcon football team and he would be an improvement....
Old 07-30-2011   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 213448 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know if Manning would start for the Bears. What I do know is that he can start for the Texans.
Old 07-30-2011   #16
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 119055 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an article by AJ that I think does a pretty good job of addressing some of these concerns

Quote:
Reaction across the web to the Texans signing of Manning has been overwhelmingly positive. It's not like the Texans got the best safety in the league, or even a top ten safety, but Manning is a solid player who's capable of doing big things in Wade Phillips' defense. It's just a matter of how little time Wade's new chess pieces have to learn the new system before the games start to count.
LINK
Old 07-30-2011   #17
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

da bears spent their 3rd rd. pick on FS Chris Conte so they had made some preparation to move on in case he could not be signed on the cheap. He started multiple positions one time or another, CB, FS, SS & KR. Now I'm only concerned where he'll start for Texans, CB, FS, SS or KR?

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #18
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
da bears spent their 3rd rd. pick on FS Chris Conte so they had made some preparation to move on in case he could not be signed on the cheap. He started multiple positions one time or another, CB, FS, SS & KR. Now I'm only concerned where he'll start for Texans, CB, FS, SS or KR?
There was a radio guy from Chicago that was on the 610 yesterday and he said that Chicago doesn't invest a lot in their db's. He said the want to spend money on their d line. And circumstances have dictated they spend money on their lb's.

So he said the DBS get left out and they try to find bargains there. He said they are constantly bringing in young guys because they rarely re sign vets there.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

One more thing.

He also said that he thought manning was a better Fs than ss.

He said that he doesn't do as well closer to the line of scrimmage with people flying all around.

He said he is better when he can sit back and see all the action and use his athleticism to make plays.

I don't know how wade plays his safeties but i get the impression that he plays both of them like a Fs for the most part.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011   #20
GuerillaBlack
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33658 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirbroke View Post
Chicago is all about defense. Those fans will nitpick their defensive players. For the Texans, Manning will be just fine. He was good in Chicago and above average last season. Let's hope he continues what he did last season.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read