Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2011   #1
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans over/under is at 8. What would you bet?

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...in-totals.html

The texans are currently sitting at the number "8" for the over/under on their win total this year. Everything in me wants to scream "bet the over" but on this team I can't logically bring myself to do it. Where do you guys sit?
Old 07-29-2011   #2
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11524 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans over/under is at 8. What would you bet?

vs Colts - W
@MIA- W
@Saints - L
vs Pitts- W
vs Raiders- W
@ Ravens -W
@ Titans - W
vs Jax - W
vs CLe - W
@ Tampa -W
@ JAX -W
vs ATL -L
@ Cincy -W
vs Panthers -W
@ Indy -W
vs Tenn -L

thats all i got so far thats what the homer in me thinks

#1 Seed in the AFC and First round Bye home game
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #3
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 7351 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

Over.
I'd bet my life savings on it. I can't imagine that this team would win less than 8 games. They have too much talent and finally have a defensive coach.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #4
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 108483 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

The contrarian in me says "push"

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 93451 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Over. I'm a
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #6
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 73160 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by hradhak View Post
Over.
I'd bet my life savings on it. I can't imagine that this team would win less than 8 games. They have too much talent and finally have a defensive coach.
Injuries are one thing which are completely unpredictable and can completely torpedo a season. I honestly think that if the number was 7.5 or 7 I'd easily feel comfortable betting the over, but the first 6 games look so brutal right now that I can see the team getting in a funk midway through the season (like they always seem to).
Old 07-29-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Over.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2011   #8
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 249059 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

What I want and what usually happens are two different things. I'll pass on the over/under thingie.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #9
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 183481 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Injuries are one thing which are completely unpredictable and can completely torpedo a season. I honestly think that if the number was 7.5 or 7 I'd easily feel comfortable betting the over, but the first 6 games look so brutal right now that I can see the team getting in a funk midway through the season (like they always seem to).
Those first 6 looked brutal when the schedule was released but I think things have changed considerably since.

Peyton's hurt they are aging and havent done much to upgrade their talent nor get all their own FA's signed. They will have a rookie LT ....

Who's QB in Miami ?

NO still looks tough as does Pittsburgh.

The Raiders are .... well , the Raiders. Who's their QB ?

The Ravens cut a bunch of guy's who were contributors and havent replaced them yet.

After the Ravens the next five games are winnable .....

I'd have to put my money on the over ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #10
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100543 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

baring injury over 8

wade is heads and shoulders above Bush in the DC department
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #11
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253530 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm a homer and a unicorns and sunshine kind of guy.

Over.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #12
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 145918 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Over. If we don get more than 2 wins over 6-10; all coaches and Smith have to go. This is a solid foundation barring injuries. If the draftees do only as expected, we are in driver's seat to start drafting depth. We should be able to start weeding out weaker players next off season. We've gotten rid of a lot this go around.
Old 07-29-2011   #13
CTWade
Quack Attack

Rep Power: 14 CTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden coverCTWade could be on the next Madden cover

Schaub, Andre, Arian, Mario, and Jonathan are eating at a restaurant when a gas leak causes an explosion, crippling them all for the season. Texans finish 2-14.

So under.
CTWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #14
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

bet the over
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #15
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Those first 6 looked brutal when the schedule was released but I think things have changed considerably since.

Peyton's hurt they are aging and havent done much to upgrade their talent nor get all their own FA's signed. They will have a rookie LT ....

Who's QB in Miami ?

NO still looks tough as does Pittsburgh.

The Raiders are .... well , the Raiders. Who's their QB ?

The Ravens cut a bunch of guy's who were contributors and havent replaced them yet.

After the Ravens the next five games are winnable .....

I'd have to put my money on the over ....
The thing with the Colts is that we have a history of just giving up when playing them almost always once a year and most of the time twice. I hope that Peyton isn't 100% in the first game, but I can't imagine it'll be the same when we meet him again.

Miami's O-line scares me into thinking that they can do enough to neutralize an alignment shift to the 3-4. I think this is the most winnable game of the first 6.

The Raiders were actually decent last year even with Jason Campbell/Bruce Gradkowski under center. McFadden is still solid and I think they are about to sign Jared Gaither to be their LT which is probably an upgrade from Mario Henderson. This is probably the 2nd most winnable game, but they have beaten us before with even less on their team. Their defense looks like it's going to be crap, but I wouldn't totally bank on that being the case 100%.

I can't call us to beat the Ravens yet but I think we've got an even better shot at it than we did last year but as long as Suggs and Ngata are in their front 7 they do scare me.

I think my big problem is that the Texans have been very very streaky beating teams that they shouldn't on occasion but losing in bunches for no good reason at all.

EDIT: I think my biggest concern is that our schedule has a lot of run first teams and we are apparently going to rely on Mitchell/Cody manning the NT spot to keep our ILB's clean. When I think of that I have flashbacks of the 2005 season when our 3-4 was absolutely terrible at stopping the run.
Old 07-29-2011   #16
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Over. If we don get more than 2 wins over 6-10; all coaches and Smith have to go. This is a solid foundation barring injuries. If the draftees do only as expected, we are in driver's seat to start drafting depth. We should be able to start weeding out weaker players next off season. We've gotten rid of a lot this go around.
^^^^^ This. I'm really looking forward to next years draft and FA when we can finally fill the few remaining holes we have on the team and really trim alot of the remaining fat on this team. We're finally building the foundation for a very good team and think that once these guys gell as a team they could be special. Looking forward 2yrs. from now the Texans could be scary good if we continue to draft like we did this year and fill a hole or 2 in FA.

As for the original question I'll say it's a push as well. Kubiak is still in charge and our pieces need to gell and prove their worth on the field. I still ain't drinking to the battle red Koolaid.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #17
DoCRoN
Veteran

Section: 608!!
Rep Power: 1328 DoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respectedDoCRoN is a quality contributor and well respected

I've bet the over the past 2 seasons; I'm 1-1 on that prop :-/

Big question - what does it pay? Once they set the over/under win totals, they don't change it. It stays at over/under 8 wins (or whatever the # is). What will change is the payout. If the book gets a bunch of action on the over, it will get adjusted to a lesser payout (say from -120 to -130 or -140)..
Old 07-29-2011   #18
b0ng
Ooops

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoCRoN View Post
I've bet the over the past 2 seasons; I'm 1-1 on that prop :-/

Big question - what does it pay? Once they set the over/under win totals, they don't change it. It stays at over/under 8 wins (or whatever the # is). What will change is the payout. If the book gets a bunch of action on the over, it will get adjusted to a lesser payout (say from -120 to -130 or -140)..
over is at like +115 and under is like -105 I think. Not much difference really.
Old 07-29-2011   #19
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
vs Colts - W
@MIA- W
@Saints - L
vs Pitts- W
vs Raiders- W
@ Ravens -W
@ Titans - W
vs Jax - W
vs CLe - W
@ Tampa -W
@ JAX -W
vs ATL -L
@ Cincy -W
vs Panthers -W
@ Indy -W
vs Tenn -L

thats all i got so far thats what the homer in me thinks

#1 Seed in the AFC and First round Bye home game
I am taking that the last loss to the Titans at home is becasue the starters sit?

I think Pitt might be a loss other than that, I can see this schedule coming to fruition...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 234681 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...in-totals.html

The texans are currently sitting at the number "8" for the over/under on their win total this year. Everything in me wants to scream "bet the over" but on this team I can't logically bring myself to do it. Where do you guys sit?
I'm taking the under. Think about it.

We hire a new DC... Wade Phillips. He's got serious DC creds.

We have a nice defensive centered draft... a true 3-4 5-tech, a rush OLB, a cover corner, 2 sawheet CB prospects.

We have nice FA signings..... a veteran cover corner, a veteran safety, both with ball skills.

Basically what I am saying, is we have a well equipped car with a driver that knows what to do with it.

So what's the problem?

They haven't done anything yet. They didn't win the Super Bowl last year, or the year before that, or the year before that. They haven't made it to the play-offs once in their existence. They have yet to pown their division rivals.

If they've never done it before.... chances are they aren't ever going to do it.

It's pointless to root for them, it's pointless to support them, it's pointless to believe

I've given up on hope & change.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read