Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2011   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Houston, we have a football team -no really, we do

Houston, welcome back to the NFL. Normally I've been impartial and lacked emotion when writing about the Texans. I try to temper my enthusiasm and my depression. This is the kind of off season that we've wanted. We already know what this offense is capable of. What are they capable of when they don't fear that if they don't score every other drive they will be out of the game by half time?

This is the classic case of addition by addition. We have overhauled 3/4 of our secondary as well as the front seven. It may take some time to jell but this team should really challenge for the division crown. Not just maybe... not "win this one, teams c d e f and g lose and we're in" no, we should go into the last two or three weeks with the division in our sights.

It may not work...who knows, but there is not a person on this board that can honestly say "Bob is cheap" or "They won't go after the big one"... this isn't Antonio Smith or Weaver... we have a new Coordinator, as well as 4-6 new starters on defense. I'm so happy I don't know what to say. Oh, yes I do... Thank you Mr. McNair, football is REALLY back in H-town.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #2
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Houston, we have a football team -no really, we do

Well, this team has been pretty solid for the last few years now. The problem has been a lack of overall balance.

With these moves today, honestly, if you really look at things, we're probably one of the most balanced teams in the NFL hands down. Sure, we have some things to address - like another WR - but, overall, this team ON PAPER, is pretty dangerous right now.

Now it's up to Kubiak to make it work...
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #3
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
Well, this team has been pretty solid for the last few years now. The problem has been COACHING.

With these moves today, honestly, if you really look at things, we're probably one of the most balanced teams in the NFL hands down. Sure, we have some things to address - like GETTING COWHER - but, overall, this team ON PAPER, is pretty dangerous right now.

Now it's up to Kubiak to make it work...
Fixed it for ya.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #4
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21813 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Fixed it for ya.
LOL!!!

Good call, Tex. That's sort of been my point: The team itself has been decent. Not perfect, but solid. It's the (head) coaching that's been terrible.

I don't see how Gary screws this up.

Then again, it's Gary, so...
Old 07-29-2011   #5
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Today, I mean yesterday was a good day for the Texans. But it's a new day and the Texans have to continue to improve on all fronts. Let's get the rookies signed and head to camp healthy and strong. As for the season, I'll reserve my judgement until I see a few games at least. By now if you're a Texans fan you know there is always the chance of epic fail. But with Manning and Joseph on board and with the solid draft we had, the Texans offseason is looking pretty good.
Old 07-29-2011   #6
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Today, I mean yesterday was a good day for the Texans. But it's a new day and the Texans have to continue to improve on all fronts. Let's get the rookies signed and head to camp healthy and strong. As for the season, I'll reserve my judgement until I see a few games at least. By now if you're a Texans fan you know there is always the chance of epic fail. But with Manning and Joseph on board and with the solid draft we had, the Texans offseason is looking pretty good.
Yep. That's why I couched my comments with the words "On paper".
Old 07-29-2011   #7
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
No I agree its not a foregone conclusion. Obviously we have to play the games, there's no question... but the FO has done its job. Nobody on either side of the ball can say "I don't have the talent to do what I want to do". Are there a few holes? Sure... but that is every team. This team, top to bottom, is about as talented as any in the league. Certainly falls in the top 10 teams, maybe top 8. Now it is on the coaches and nobody can look back to this off season and say "well they didn't go get what they needed". Now lets win some games.

Mike

Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2011   #8
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I would like to see steelb and sh convince the forum that Bob is the cheap Guy.
Old 07-29-2011   #9
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Nobody's signed s-h-i-t yet. I'll temper my excitement until then.
Old 07-29-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 75191 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanmike View Post
Houston, welcome back to the NFL. Normally I've been impartial and lacked emotion when writing about the Texans. I try to temper my enthusiasm and my depression. This is the kind of off season that we've wanted. We already know what this offense is capable of. What are they capable of when they don't fear that if they don't score every other drive they will be out of the game by half time?

This is the classic case of addition by addition. We have overhauled 3/4 of our secondary as well as the front seven. It may take some time to jell but this team should really challenge for the division crown. Not just maybe... not "win this one, teams c d e f and g lose and we're in" no, we should go into the last two or three weeks with the division in our sights.

It may not work...who knows, but there is not a person on this board that can honestly say "Bob is cheap" or "They won't go after the big one"... this isn't Antonio Smith or Weaver... we have a new Coordinator, as well as 4-6 new starters on defense. I'm so happy I don't know what to say. Oh, yes I do... Thank you Mr. McNair, football is REALLY back in H-town.

Mike
When you're adding by adding, it's always better than adding by subtraction. When you do that, it's called subtraction by any standard other than those taught by todays teachers.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #11
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Nobody's signed s-h-i-t yet. I'll temper my excitement until then.
Nitro... you should hurry up and enjoy this... I know nobody that's a Houston fan remembers this, but its supposed to be fun to be a fan. Its ok... they won't take your team away for it or anything.

Old 07-29-2011   #12
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3508 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

You know what all this talk reminds me of?

BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #13
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to agree with the OP.

I've been surprised at myself on how down I have been on this team even through the offseason. Even with HWNSNBM I was a defender and apologist of his almost until the very end, same with Kubiak and every season making excuses and thinking "well, this crazy scenario can happen and save the season...." and then even after crappy season (soooooooo after almost every season) I would be excited by June of the next year and optomistic.

Last year, really, really beat me down. I lost all that optomism. I have not been excited about this year and still negative about this year, down on Kubiak, down on just everytyhing and alrready expecting the same old BS season resulting in Kubiak being fired and puddin tits Wade being elevated to HC which is the ultimate nightmare scenario for me.

But, yesterdays moves show shrewdness IMO and I am really excited about this. Again, I agree with the OP and I am really starting to get excited again.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #14
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
I would like to see steelb and sh convince the forum that Bob is the cheap Guy.
I know poor guy right? he probably had to sell his stables to help finance all these big free agent deals, guess he got his priorities straight

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #15
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 113949 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected

Thank you, Wade!!!
Old 07-29-2011   #16
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 30856 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Fixed it for ya.
No, you made it worse. Cowher will want, and be given, GM like control over the roster; and that scares the piss out of me.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #17
TexansBlood
The CUSH!

Rep Power: 7919 TexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBlood is a quality contributor and well respected

We have a thread like this every yr before the season starts and at the end of the season it was all hype.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves and be let down once more.
TexansBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #18
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 59111 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post
We have a thread like this every yr before the season starts and at the end of the season it was all hype.

This one seems different to me. Could turn out as you say, and believe me I understand that outlook with the Texans, but these moves yesterday show me a possible mindshift.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #19
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBlood View Post

BUT have we ever had an off-season like this one!!!
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #20
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 70440 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_texan View Post
BUT have we ever had an off-season like this one!!!
The one where we got rid of Carr and picked up Schaub was pretty darn good too (first time we won more than 7 games in a season too if I remember correct).

The only problem I have right now, is that we are still planning on having Mitchell/Cody man the nose when a guy like Aubryo Franklin is currently sitting there with no team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read