Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-28-2011   #81
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans agree with S Danieal Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by vupac1 View Post
I really dont know too much about the available safeties after the top 2 on my wish list (Weddle and Mikell)

So who is rated higher Manning or Landry?

I personally wanted Landry more simply bc he came from the Ravens secondary
They're rated the same. They're both very good.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #82
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

This is probably it for bigger signings. We might get some depth here or there, but no more big name players. Just don't have the cap space I don't think.

Leach and maybe that punter. Maybe some ILB depth. But that will likely be it.
c10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #83
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 29405 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSofA04 View Post
Just took a shot of whiskey! I was about to go to bed, but now I'm freaking stoked baby!!!!!

Rick Smith signing fools like his job depends on it! (and we all know it does)
I was just telling someone earlier that it seems as if the rumors that McNair reamed out Smith-Kubiak after the season were true. I, personally didn't believe it, but, clearly it's true. Bob put Gary and Rick on notice.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #84
BetaV1
Veteran

Rep Power: 3509 BetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respectedBetaV1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vupac1 View Post
I really dont know too much about the available safeties after the top 2 on my wish list (Weddle and Mikell)

So who is rated higher Manning or Landry?

I personally wanted Landry more simply bc he came from the Ravens secondary
Landry is from the Redskins.

You can make a case for either Landry or Manning. Unless someone can correct me, I'm pretty sure the Redskins ran a 3-4 while the Bears run a 4-3. This means Landry has more experience with what to expect as a safety in the 3-4 and for this I would've taken Landry. But either one is an unquestionable upgrade from Pollard.
BetaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #85
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't think that had anything to do with it. The Texans started strong, going after Nnamdi & Weddle. We didn't have the stroke to close those deals, but we finished strong regardless, the #2 corner & the #2 safety available.

But remember, there was mention of the Texans going after 2 corners.

I think going strong after a top shelf safety was always the plan.

Missing on Nnamdi probably means well go after another corner. I'm thinking one of the Carr boys, or maybe we sign Grimes to a similar deal as Joseph, wouldn't that spell Championship?
I think we have enough secondary players for now. One other CB is bound to step up. I just want to see Leach signed now.
Old 07-28-2011   #86
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10x View Post
This is probably it for bigger signings. We might get some depth here or there, but no more big name players. Just don't have the cap space I don't think.

Leach and maybe that punter. Maybe some ILB depth. But that will likely be it.
Can't ask for much more than what we've done. Just filled two big holes on our D. I hope we can resign Leach. Also need to sign our draft picks in time for training camp on Sunday.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #87
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaV1 View Post

You can make a case for either Landry or Manning. Unless someone can correct me, I'm pretty sure the Redskins ran a 3-4 while the Bears run a 4-3. This means Landry has more experience with what to expect as a safety in the 3-4 and for this I would've taken Landry. But either one is an unquestionable upgrade from Pollard.
You are thinking Laron Landry. The FA available is from the Ravens. Dawan Landry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawan_Landry
Sponsored links
Old 07-28-2011   #88
c10x
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
Can't ask for much more than what we've done. Just filled two big holes on our D. I hope we can resign Leach. Also need to sign our draft picks in time for training camp on Sunday.
Completely agree. I think these two signings + resigning our current guys is about all you could have hoped for. Fantastic day for the Texans.
Old 07-28-2011   #89
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

no the landry that has hit FA is from baltimore. leron landry plays for the redskins
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #90
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You're thinking of the wrong Landry. This is Dawan Landry from the Ravens. Laron, from the Redskins, isn't a FA this year.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #91
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

You're thinking Laron Landry who isn't on the table, Duwan Landry from the Ravens is the guy we're talking about.
Old 07-28-2011   #92
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 14154 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Quote:

Break out your Madden again.

Laron Landry is the top safety for the Skins

Dawan Landry has been ghosting the other side of Ed Reeds field in Baltimore for awhile now.

Its still a moot point because we now have Danieal Manning
Old 07-28-2011   #93
TexansFight
All Pro

Rep Power: 2293 TexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFight is a quality contributor and well respected

First time EVER that the Texans invested in a quality Safety. I am totally stoked and can't wait till the season starts
TexansFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011   #94
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
But is saying "The Texans will pursue Nnamdi" really news, though? Everyone knew we were going to do it. It's like the last few weeks with all of the national media guys tweeting about how we were going to be in the running. Everyone knew that. Just saying.

Regardless, it's been a good day. We've finally made a major, national splash in free agency. We should be happy.
Not in itself. But, the heart of the information I thought was the change in attitude of McNair and his determination to spend significant money to upgrade the defense. I actually thought we'd end up being more prudent and signing someone like Joseph. However, the source was also committed to multiple, significant FA signings on the defensive side of the ball. This was in February, and, considering nothing like this has ever happened in this organization, consider me impressed with the source!
Old 07-29-2011   #95
BSofA04
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 304 BSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respectedBSofA04 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonspartan View Post
I was just telling someone earlier that it seems as if the rumors that McNair reamed out Smith-Kubiak after the season were true. I, personally didn't believe it, but, clearly it's true. Bob put Gary and Rick on notice.
Whatever he said, he must have ended the conversation with, "Get the hell outta here and go buy me a ******** respectable secondary."
Old 07-29-2011   #96
Mr. Texan
I'm A Texan

Rep Power: 15229 Mr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedMr. Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Mr. Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #97
TexansMVP
Probowler

Great job by our team today. I'm loving it!
TexansMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #98
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
So, I'm not trying to be boastful, but I took a lot of heat on this board and at Battle Red Blog for this story...
That was a good call, dale. And you were right, they did come away with one of the other top FA CBs in Joseph. Despite the ramblings of McNair, post Phillips hiring ("We won't go crazy"), the Texans had to hit free agency and the draft hard on the defensive side. They've done that. Now, they have to make it happen on the field.
Old 07-29-2011   #99
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected

as much as we have done nothing every off-season the FO deserves a big pat on the back for this off-season. the draft was clear A and FA is definitely and A also.

Well done Bob, Rick, Gary and Wade and everyone else associated.
aussie_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #100
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 6477 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

I knew the Texans were going to do something to suck me back in. Freaking team never fails to get my hopes up.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read