Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2011   #1
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texas A&M extends Mike Sherman

Quote:
COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Texas A&M is bumping football coach Mike Sherman's salary up to $2.2 million annually and adding a year to the four remaining on his contract.

Sherman is getting a $400,000 raise per year effective Sept. 1, the school said Friday. He's completed three of the seven years on his existing contract.

The extension also includes two years of university options which could extend it through 2018.

It makes Sherman the fourth-highest paid coach in the Big 12.

Sherman led the Aggies to a 9-4 season and a 41-24 Cotton Bowl loss to LSU in 2010. His career record in three seasons at A&M is 19-19.

The Aggies open their 2011 season at home Sept. 4 against SMU.
http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/...e-sherman-deal

I can't believe they are doing this now, as opposed to waiting for him to do well for more than one season. Sounds a bit like Charlie Weis to me...
Old 07-25-2011   #2
Ckw

Default Re: Texas A&M extends Mike Sherman

Yeah this makes absolutely zero sense. I really don't understand. I mean maybe if he had won the bowl game and truly seemed on the rise, but the guy got his ass handed to him by Les Miles.

Old 07-25-2011   #3
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This is a good thing for A&M. Sherman is really building a top notch program.
Old 07-26-2011   #4
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Chuckle.
Old 07-26-2011   #5
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by c10x View Post
Chuckle.
Haha, your post actually made me chuckle.

In all seriousness, I think Sherman is doing an incredible job at A&M. He's completely changed the culture of that football program from when Franchione ran it into the ground. They're getting quality players and coaches with good character, guys that are very hard working. They've made huge strides on getting players to go to class and do well in school. Their graduation rates are steadily increasing. That takes time and now with all of that, they're finally starting to see success on the field. A&M has some really good players now and I think this is the beginning of some real big success for that program. They've also done a ton of work upgrading the the facilities with the addition of the Bright Complex which is top notch. Sherman has this master plan for building a quasi mini-community there at the stadium for the football players to be at almost 24/7. Apparently Sherman made the first donation towards it and it was substantial. He's putting his money where his mouth is.

Last edited by Ole Miss Texan; 07-26-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-26-2011   #6
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They also gave DeRuyter a raise.
Old 07-26-2011   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
He's going to get a head coaching gig soon, A&M has got to keep him as long as possible. He'll sure earn that money if they can find a replacement for Von Miller, what a loss he will be!
Sponsored links
Old 07-26-2011   #8
c10x
Veteran

Rep Power: 360 c10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respectedc10x is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Haha, your post actually made me chuckle.

In all seriousness, I think Sherman is doing an incredible job at A&M. He's completely changed the culture of that football program from when Franchione ran it into the ground. They're getting quality players and coaches with good character, guys that are very hard working. They've made huge strides on getting players to go to class and do well in school. Their graduation rates are steadily increasing. That takes time and now with all of that, they're finally starting to see success on the field. A&M has some really good players now and I think this is the beginning of some real big success for that program. They've also done a ton of work upgrading the the facilities with the addition of the Bright Complex which is top notch. Sherman has this master plan for building a quasi mini-community there at the stadium for the football players to be at almost 24/7. Apparently Sherman made the first donation towards it and it was substantial. He's putting his money where his mouth is.
I love aggie optimism. Always good for a laugh.
Old 07-26-2011   #9
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Sure, hence my name being Texas A&M Texan and all....
Old 07-26-2011   #10
Ckw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Quote:
He's going to get a head coaching gig soon, A&M has got to keep him as long as possible. He'll sure earn that money if they can find a replacement for Von Miller, what a loss he will be!
No kidding. I'm just disappointed we did this because I would have LOVED to see us be the ones to give DeRuyter a chance as a head coach. That guy is a gamer. Hell, maybe they will pay him like a head coach and be able to keep him. A man can dream right?

Old 07-27-2011   #11
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Old 07-27-2011   #12
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Old 07-27-2011   #13
c10x
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbat488 View Post
No, I've just read the same Aggie story line every off season for 15 years. This is the year! We're closing the gap with Texas! National championship here we come! Jerrod Johnson for heisman!"

Just utterly ridiculous.

Before the ags start chest pumping, shouldn't they win a bowl game, or have a 10 win season? Shouldn't they play in a single big game without completely shitting the bed?
Old 07-27-2011   #14
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 125033 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No, I've just read the same Aggie story line every off season for 15 years. This is the year! We're closing the gap with Texas! National championship here we come! Jerrod Johnson for heisman!"

Just utterly ridiculous.

Before the ags start chest pumping, shouldn't they win a bowl game, or have a 10 win season? Shouldn't they play in a single big game without completely shitting the bed?
Or beat Texas Tech?? Has that even happened yet?
Old 07-27-2011   #15
c10x
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
It's happened, but going off pure memory here, I'm pretty sure Tech has gotten the best of the ags more often than not over the past 6 or 8 years.

Hell, before last years game against Oklahoma or Nebraska, A&M hadn't won a televised game in like 4 years.
Old 07-27-2011   #16
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

I'm far from saying Texas A&M is going to win the National Championship this year or next year. All I'm saying is Sherman has rebuilt that program from nothing. Obviously this has to continue to reflect with W's on the field. I think Sherman is building the program to where A&M was in the mid-80's to mid-90's era. They weren't ever national champions but they were a damn good team.

Closing the regular season with 6 straight wins, including Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas? That was really good. They just gotta keep it up. Putting in stock terms, this would be a stock I would hold on to because I think it's going to be a quality buy and the value will go up.
Old 07-27-2011   #17
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Just utterly ridiculous.

I think you fail to realize that of the two Aggies in this thread, neither of us thought it was a good idea to extend Sherman at this time. Nor are we 'chest pumping' about this season in this thread. I realize there are plenty of other Aggie websites that do that to no end cough***Texag*******cough, but not all of us are without tempered expectations based on reality. Ole Miss obviously thinks highly of the program, but there was no over the top rhetoric in his response it was mostly about potential. So how bout you take it down a notch and try to engage in discussion rather than jumping to conclusions?
Old 07-27-2011   #18
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Seriously? C'mon Tex, you can't be that out of touch with Big 12 football. A&M beat Tech the last two years.
Old 07-27-2011   #19
c10x
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think you fail to realize that of the two Aggies in this thread, neither of us thought it was a good idea to extend Sherman at this time. Nor are we 'chest pumping' about this season in this thread. I realize there are plenty of other Aggie websites that do that to no end cough***Texag*******cough, but not all of us are without tempered expectations based on reality. Ole Miss obviously thinks highly of the program, but there was no over the top rhetoric in his response it was mostly about potential. So how bout you take it down a notch and try to engage in discussion rather than jumping to conclusions?
Whats to engage in when aggies are full of delusion. What, you want me to tell you that the hopes of returning to 80s and 90s glory is absurd? Fine, I'll tell you. The defensive recruiting over the past decade has been absolutely terrible.

Nebraska was playing a freshman QB. Texas was having its worst year in 15 years. Oklahoma I'll give credit for. But still, anything worse than 2-1 in that stretch would have embarrassing.

And the ags did not finish the season winning 6 straight. They got curb stomped in the bowl game, by a LSU team without a QB.
Old 07-27-2011   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
It's happened, but going off pure memory here, I'm pretty sure Tech has gotten the best of the ags more often than not over the past 6 or 8 years.
Yeah, we lost 4 years in a row to them from 05-08 during Mike Leach's haydays. Now that he's gone, I expect Tech to stay down for a while, as I don't think Tuberville will take them very far.

Quote:
Hell, before last years game against Oklahoma or Nebraska, A&M hadn't won a televised game in like 4 years.
Where do you even get that idea? If you limit it to nationally televised games, yeah I would guess so, but I know I have watched them win games on FSN over the last 4 years.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read