Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Free Agent Activity involving Texans 2011

Wolf

100% Texan
If the NFL players association gets around to approving the basis for what will become the next collective bargaining agreement this weekend, there's a chance that NFL free agency could open late next week.

Under the new league calendar approved by the owners on Thursday, teams will be given 72 hours after the starting gun fires to attempt re-signing their own unrestricted free agents. Teams can sign any unrestricted free agent beginning on day four of the new league year, according to the calendar.

For the Texans, that means they will be making offers, some of which may be 'June 1 tenders' to guys like Vonta Leach, Mark Anderson, Rashad Butler and Jacoby Jones.

Using the previous CBA as a guide, a June 1 tender for Leach, Anderson and Butler would involve making an offer to the player of at least 110% of their 2010 salary, including base salary, roster and reporting bonuses, and pro-rata portion of signing bonuses if applicable.
A June 1 tender for Jones would be 110% of his base salary only, not including bonuses, since the expiring contract was his rookie contract.

According to the new league calendar, 'June 1 tenders' (which are really August 12 tenders) allow the current team to retain rights to their own unrestricted free agents if the player is not signed by another team by August 26.

We've discussed before that Butler is the least likely of those four to be on the Texans 53 man roster come Week 1 of the 2011 season, however Jones and Leach could also be wearing new uniforms in the fall.

During those fiirst three days of the new league year, you can bet that the Texans will be on the phones to agents of free agent defensive backs.

The Texans top five corners are Brice McCain, Kareem Jackson, Sherrick McManis and rookies Brandon Harris and Roc Carmichael. Enough said.
Fans and media have been tossing around names of potential free agent defensive back signings by the Texans for months. But which of those names are realistic? Keep in mind that according to ESPN, the Texans are in the bottom half of the league in available cap space.

Nnamdi Asomugha? Forget it ... ain't happenin.'

Johnathan Joseph? Not likely, according to Carlos "Big C" Holmes of the Dayton Daily News who says "there is no doubt the Bengals will get a deal done to retain Joseph." The Bengals certainly have the cap room but they are the Bengals so anything could happen.

Eric Weddle?
http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/free-agent-activity-about-to-get-hot-and-heavy-for-texans

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
From what Ive been reading , the cap wont be a hard cap at least for the first few seasons of the new CBA ..... The Texans may well be able to retain their FA's if they so choose as well as satisfy their needs of a Safety and a top flight CB.

They can also re-structure deals (extend some) to free up more space for the likes of an Asomugha and others.

If I were to have to bet on where Asomugha lands right now , it would be Houston.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I was listening to the NFL channel and they they mentioned JJ being a good fit for the Jets. The commentator said the Jets would be better off signing JJ instead of retaining Edwards because they can get inconsistent talent at a much cheaper price with JJ. I hope that happens. I really don't want to see JJ eating up a roster spot this season. I really expect to see Aso in a Texans uniform and wouldn't be surprised at all if we land a FA safety. IMO, Smithiak knows it's do or die time and will get it done with Aso. I hope people quit mistaking Smithiak's failings as McNair's cheapness in FA.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
I was listening to the NFL channel and they they mentioned JJ being a good fit for the Jets. The commentator said the Jets would be better off signing JJ instead of retaining Edwards because they can get inconsistent talent at a much cheaper price with JJ. I hope that happens. I really don't want to see JJ eating up a roster spot this season. I really expect to see Aso in a Texans uniform and wouldn't be surprised at all if we land a FA safety. IMO, Smithiak knows it's do or die time and will get it done with Aso. I hope people quit mistaking Smithiak's failings as McNair's cheapness in FA.
The team is nearly at that $120m cap .... yet McNair is cheap. Other than that , I agree .... :ahhaha:

buddyboy

Rookie
The team is nearly at that $120m cap .... yet McNair is cheap. Other than that , I agree .... :ahhaha:
If you read the post again, he's saying people mistake Rick Smith's failures as Bob McNair's cheapness....so he's saying it's a common misconception that Bob McNair is cheap.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
If you read the post again, he's saying people mistake Rick Smith's failures as Bob McNair's cheapness....so he's saying it's a common misconception that Bob McNair is cheap.
I had a rare moment of reading comprehension failure ..... :facepalm:

Norg

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I do expect the texans to resign most of there own players except for the ones they Dem SUCKy : P

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
From what Ive been reading , the cap wont be a hard cap at least for the first few seasons of the new CBA ..... The Texans may well be able to retain their FA's if they so choose as well as satisfy their needs of a Safety and a top flight CB.

They can also re-structure deals (extend some) to free up more space for the likes of an Asomugha and others.

If I were to have to bet on where Asomugha lands right now , it would be Houston.
Our Houston Texans. Team with biggest need for Aso? Yes. Team most likely to get Aso? No.

Don't get me wrong. He makes sense in a lot of ways and is still relatively young in his career. He would instantly be our 2nd best player on the team behind Andre. That type of signing would make us a much better football team, and that is all I care about. However, the CBA and our 6-10 season don't make us a likely destination. Firstly, he wouldn't be coming here to win. He would be coming here to try and win, but a move to Houston would mean more money. I think its safe to assume that. So if its about money, than we are probably screwed.

The fact is, that other teams have much more money to spend and they are required to spend it and spend it fast. there will be a very soft cap this year and we need to do everything we can to take advantage of loopholes and restructurings, but I am not sure we can compete $$wise for Aso. And he isn't coming here to win a title. He would be coming here for the $$ and for a challenge.

Rumors are that he covets being a Jet, Packer, or Eagle. Cowboys are rumored to be interested but then that would probably put Newman out on market and he might make some sense as a temporary bandaid while our young guys either play themselves on the field or out of the league.

I just think if a Tampa or San Fran or even a Bills team is offering as much as $20+ million dollars more money over the life of a contract, he is going to go after the $$.

A lot of veterans are going to get pay raises, that is for sure. And its probably the right time to talk to Mario about his next contract. I wouldn't be against trading him, but that aint happening. We got to pony up bigtime to keep him here, and its gonna hurt because he has been somewhat underwhelming at times. Good player but worth franchise DE money? Umm, NO. Will he end up getting it? Yup....question is, will it be the Texans that give it to him. This CBA has things crazy and I wish we had a more experienced crew at the helm. Rick is going to sink or swim over the next 3 weeks. That is for sure.

Go Texans

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Our Houston Texans. Team with biggest need for Aso? Yes. Team most likely to get Aso? No.

Don't get me wrong. He makes sense in a lot of ways and is still relatively young in his career. He would instantly be our 2nd best player on the team behind Andre. That type of signing would make us a much better football team, and that is all I care about. However, the CBA and our 6-10 season don't make us a likely destination. Firstly, he wouldn't be coming here to win. He would be coming here to try and win, but a move to Houston would mean more money. I think its safe to assume that. So if its about money, than we are probably screwed.

The fact is, that other teams have much more money to spend and they are required to spend it and spend it fast. there will be a very soft cap this year and we need to do everything we can to take advantage of loopholes and restructurings, but I am not sure we can compete $$wise for Aso. And he isn't coming here to win a title. He would be coming here for the $$ and for a challenge.

Rumors are that he covets being a Jet, Packer, or Eagle. Cowboys are rumored to be interested but then that would probably put Newman out on market and he might make some sense as a temporary bandaid while our young guys either play themselves on the field or out of the league.

I just think if a Tampa or San Fran or even a Bills team is offering as much as $20+ million dollars more money over the life of a contract, he is going to go after the $$.

A lot of veterans are going to get pay raises, that is for sure. And its probably the right time to talk to Mario about his next contract. I wouldn't be against trading him, but that aint happening. We got to pony up bigtime to keep him here, and its gonna hurt because he has been somewhat underwhelming at times. Good player but worth franchise DE money? Umm, NO. Will he end up getting it? Yup....question is, will it be the Texans that give it to him. This CBA has things crazy and I wish we had a more experienced crew at the helm. Rick is going to sink or swim over the next 3 weeks. That is for sure.

Go Texans
Does anyone outside of the Texans FO really have any idea where we stand cap-wise? I also don't think the Texans are viewed in the same light as we were 3-4 years ago. We're a team on the cusp and who better to have that extra bit of confidence to think THEY are the player to put us over the top than arguably the best CB in the league. CB's usually have a ton of confidence whether it's warranted or not. Aso's would be warranted.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
Does anyone outside of the Texans FO really have any idea where we stand cap-wise? I also don't think the Texans are viewed in the same light as we were 3-4 years ago. We're a team on the cusp and who better to have that extra bit of confidence to think THEY are the player to put us over the top than arguably the best CB in the league. CB's usually have a ton of confidence whether it's warranted or not. Aso's would be warranted.
Nope ... Hell I dont think we'll figure it all out for months after the CBA is announced. Its gonna take a while to actually understand what they can and cant do .....

That said , the things I have heard - Aso is the Texans top priority - The interest is mutual - Bob will back up the Brinks truck.

Take that for what it is , some asshole on a MB talking out his ass :specnatz:

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Nope ... Hell I dont think we'll figure it all out for months after the CBA is announced. Its gonna take a while to actually understand what they can and cant do .....

That said , the things I have heard - Aso is the Texans top priority - The interest is mutual - Bob will back up the Brinks truck.

Take that for what it is , some asshole on a MB talking out his ass :specnatz:
LMAO. I tend to agree with this.

FirstTexansFan

The Unknown Fan
Because I'm full of coffee this morning, giddy that the lockout is over, and I've drank enough Kool-Aid for the past ten years to be the same color as a smurf, I'll make a bold prediction.

I'm doing it for two reasons, one, some of you guys need a dog to kick, and if I'm wrong, I'm old enough to take your abuse without crying like a little b*t*h, and two, someone other than the rainbow posters needs to say something positive on these forums :)

Here we go, Rick Smith overcomes his Napoleon complex, and grows a pair. We are going to sign Aso, and we'll follow that up with Sensabaugh. I believe we'll also pick up a decent #2 WR in this process, and get a new punter.

It's gonna be like Christmas around this place by the end of next week, with predictions of Super Bowls by the vast majority. Of course, this won't be enough to overcome our inadequate coach, so once again, we'll be suicidal by the end of the season :)

Kick away boys hehe

Our own, other teams FAs, or both ?
We can start signing our own FA, UDFA, and draft picks at noon today. We can start talking to UFA and teams about trades at noon today. We can start signing UFA at noon tomorrow. Trades can be officially declared on Saturday.

These times are EST I assume.

fiasco west

All Pro
I am optimistic about Aso.

Clayton thinks the Texans and the Bucs are the leading suitors. I just think other teams like the Jets...Eagles...Ravens, CB isn't that big a need. I hope the Texans just make a offer no other team really cares to match and one Nnamdi can't refuse.

I just gots a good feeling about this offseason. Ravens aren't going to blow a ton of cap and money on a position they don't even need, neither are the Jets. If they sign CBs they will be value guys, not a big splash like Nnamdi. Eagles are the only team that really scares me.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
We can start signing our own FA, UDFA, and draft picks at noon today. We can start talking to UFA and teams about trades at noon today. We can start signing UFA at noon tomorrow. Trades can be officially declared on Saturday.

I don't think anything's set in stone right now. The players are just now on their conference call discussing new details of the CBA. They can't do anything until the players vote, and pass the CBA.

I also read that their are GM's that don't even know the exact timeline (probably Rick).

After all the BS these asshats have put us through...I'll wait for the results from the vote before poppin the cork

I don't think anything's set in stone right now. The players are just now on their conference call discussing new details of the CBA. They can't do anything until the players vote, and pass the CBA.

I also read that their are GM's that don't even know the exact timeline (probably Rick).

After all the BS these asshats have put us through...I'll wait for the results from the vote before poppin the cork
I wouldn't bet on the players rejecting this proposal.

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
Should be interesting. If they are going to make a splash this is the year to do it. I think the Aso sweepsteaks is going to an outsider....good team/less money than expected because of team. I know many here say the almighty dollar always speak but coming from the Raiders he has to have it in his head to go elite or close to elite.

Last edited:
I want to see Htown make a big splash. Even if it doesn't work out, it makes the team fun and interesting. Its hard to get up for a team when they fill their holes with minor players.

Should be interesting. If they are going to make a splach this is the year to do it. I think the Aso sweepsteaks is going to an outsider....good team/less money than expected because of team. I know many here say the almighty dollar always speak but coming from the Raiders he has to have it in his head to go elite or close to elite.
How do you like the 'Boys chances?

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
How do you like the 'Boys chances?
0% for Aso. I'm not sure if Jerry is trying to learn a lesson or what but the last 5 years they have been more prone to sign vets that fit than big names. The only "big name" they really signed (not including trade for Roy W.) was PacMan and that was more of an experiment at a discount rate so they could cut him. They are in cap trouble and need to sign OL Doug Free first and formost. After that I'm not sure what they will have unless they cut Barber and a bunch of vets. All reports are they won't attempt it. My only hope that makes it 1% is that they didn't draft CB and Jerry is too quiet about it. But he may just think Jenkins and Scandrick rebound and Newman stays as a vet. I see them chasing Safeties...Huff.

drs23

Veteran
0% for Aso. I'm not sure if Jerry is trying to learn a lesson or what but the lasrt 5 years they have been more prone to sign vets that fit than big games. The only "big name" they really signed (not including trade for Roy W.) was PacMan and that was more of an experiment at a discount rate so they could cut him. They are in cap trouble and need to sign OL Doug Free first and formost. After that I'm not sure what they will have unless they cut Barber and a bunch of vets. All reports are they won't attempt it. My only hope that makes it 1% is that they didn't draft CB and Jerry is too quiet about it. But he may just think Jenkins and Scandrick rebound and Newman stays as a vet. I see them chasing Safeties...Huff.
That's what they were saying on NFLN last night.

76Texan

Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info!

Official schedule, per ESPN:

• Monday: The NFL will announce that teams can go to 90-man rosters and the official free-agent list will be distributed to teams.

• Tuesday: Trading begins. Teams can reach agreements with rookies and undrafted free agents beginning at 10 a.m. ET. Teams can reach agreements with all free agents and signed players are allowed to enter team facilities.

• Wednesday: Players can begin reporting to training camps 15 days before their first preseason games. According to the proposed timeline, 10 teams would report on Wednesday, 10 more on Thursday and 10 additional teams on Friday. The New York Jets and Houston Texans would be the last two teams to report, on Sunday.

• Thursday: Teams can begin to cut players at 4 p.m. ET.

• Friday: Teams can begin filing transactions to the league office at 6 p.m. ET.

• Aug. 4: Deadline for recertification and ratification of the collective bargaining agreement by the players.

gafftop

All Pro
Thankful strike is over, but I have a bad feeling about our braintrust's performance during the chaotic period starting tomorrow. (based on past deals Dan O big money, Chris Brown, Green,Jackson, going young in secondary, .......) Whatever happens I think we will see without a doubt what we have in the front office after this period is over. I just hope we are not asking questions like why didn't we trade him versus letting him go, why did we ever draft this player this year, or what are they doing? C'mon Kubiak/Smith surprise me.

Section516

Warrior
FWIW; Rashad Butler said on Radio, he will NOT be a Texan this year.

The_Raheel Raheel Ramzanali
by StephStradley
Rashad Butler (as told on nuno and raheel show) will not be a Texan and hopes to sign with the Redskins this season @StephStradley

Shaft75

All Pro
FWIW; Rashad Butler said on Radio, he will NOT be a Texan this year.

The_Raheel Raheel Ramzanali
by StephStradley
Rashad Butler (as told on nuno and raheel show) will not be a Texan and hopes to sign with the Redskins this season @StephStradley
He was worthless anyways. On, on, on to tha next one...

HoustonFrog

Dallas Frog
I thought so too but people like LZ think he will be a FA diamond in the rough, so to speak. The last 2 were from yesterday before this came out

http://twitter.com/#!/LanceZierlein

LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein @
@RossTuckerNFL Take a look at Rashad Butler (LT from Texans) as a sleeper via free agency. Long arms and good feet
5 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply
LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
Butler has long arms, good feet and could be solid in pass protection with more reps & experience. He's better than many starters at LT now
Lance Zierlein
I'm not predicting Rashad Butler will be a star, but you can win in the league with just decent LTs & Butler could end up being a player.
20 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

The Pencil Neck

Hall of Fame
I'm sorry to see him go. I thought he performed well during Brown's suspension and I would have liked to have kept him as long as possible. He's a good fit for this offense.

The Redskins are a perfect fit for him.