Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-26-2011   #241
HuttoKarl
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2801 HuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respectedHuttoKarl is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Free agent activity about to get hot and heavy for Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANS84 View Post
Heard on 610 that a deal for Leinhart is in place to Seattle.

Gotta start looking for backup QB's, because I sure as hell don't feel comfortable with Orvlosksuck.
Let Casey do it...may as well pay him for something done on the field. (c:
Old 07-26-2011   #242
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasguy346 View Post
Make that $76 million over 6 years
Right, but 76 isn't guaranteed. If it is 32 over 6 years, that's a base of 5.3 plus whatever incentives.

That's a pretty reasonable deal actually.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #243
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuttoKarl View Post
Let Casey do it...may as well pay him for something done on the field. (c:
He will be the new FB when Leach leaves.

Old 07-26-2011   #244
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 108383 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
PFT is reporting that the panthers have retained Charles Johnson with a $ 72 million contract with $32million guranteed

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #245
Errant Hothy
Hypermediocrity

Rep Power: 34649 Errant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respectedErrant Hothy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Make that $76 million over 6 years
Ok, that makes so much more sense.
Errant Hothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #246
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Sounds logical, but Didn't the Jets just spend their first 2 draft picks on DTs?
There IS a bit of a log jam at the NT spot. Two guys there already.

So you're correct: In a sense, it would mean Rex Ryan becomes a NT collector like Gruden hoarded QBs. Unless they traded one of their current NTs?

I tried to go back and find that tweet last night, but it was gone. I searched espn's NFL twitter feed for it, using keywords Gregg and Rex Ryan, but to no avail. Weird! It was there, and then it was gone.

Maybe it was put up in haste, and taken down because not enough to support the theory? I dunno.
Old 07-26-2011   #247
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Yessir, I've already stated my case for Plax. I'd take him in a heartbeat. Heck, shooting yourself and spending time in jail for it is more than paying for it, imo
I agree completely. Him and AJ would truly be a dynamic duo that would give opposing DC's nightmares, especially when you have a ground attack led by Foster.

Add to that the fact that he really wants to play here...
Old 07-26-2011   #248
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 320620 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG16 View Post
Didn't we tender Leinart, and because he was a 1st rounder thats what we would get in return. Does that roll over to the new CBA? I'd be okay with leinart signing anywhere, especially the Seahawks, if we get their 1st round pick.
The new CBA rendered that null because the free agency rules changed back to 4 years.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #249
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

This is really wild stuff going on.
Old 07-26-2011   #250
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG16 View Post
Didn't we tender Leinart, and because he was a 1st rounder thats what we would get in return. Does that roll over to the new CBA? I'd be okay with leinart signing anywhere, especially the Seahawks, if we get their 1st round pick.
All 5-6 year tenders were rendered irrelevant per the new deal. So Lienart is no longer tendered due to him having greater than 4 accrued seasons played. Under the past year's 'deal', restricted free agency was changed from 4 years to 6 years, now it is back to 4 years.
Old 07-26-2011   #251
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
A Derrick Ward tweet lobbying for Plax
Quote:
Trying 2 lobby for my big bro @plaxico 2 come play down in Houston with me. About 2 get in Coach Kub's ear & Mr McNair's ear when I get back
See, this sort of thing feels too much like Plaxico asking Ward to tweet that.

Most of the times, when I see that rah-rah "I'm going to put in a good word for you, bro!" tweets...I think it's all contrived and planted. Like when you want a job somewhere where your friend works, and so you ask him to put in a good word for you with the boss.

I'll take Walter. He's a known commodity HERE.

I won't hate it if we get him, which I know means JJ is gone, but yet I won't be overly thrilled either. I think we have cohesiveness with our offense right now; a sense of history where all those guys have had years of bonding and will be ready to go to another level when we get to that point. I don't know that Plaxico enters this offense with the ability to fit into it.

But maybe he could.

EDIT: Ya' know what? We could do a lot worse than Plaxico. After taking a second to think about it, I think he is better than Walter. He's a field stretcher more than Walter is...but he has those possession-type abilities that Walter has. Perhaps a notch above Walter. But the money has to be fair to us, IMO.
Old 07-26-2011   #252
DX-TEX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 136288 DX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedDX-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

Most of the times, when I see that rah-rah "I'm going to put in a good word for you, bro!" tweets...I think it's all contrived and planted. Like when you want a job somewhere where your friend works, and so you ask him to put in a good word for you with the boss.

I won't hate it if we get him, which I know means JJ is gone, but yet I won't be overly thrilled either. I think we have cohesiveness with our offense right now; a sense of history where all those guys have had years of bonding and will be ready to go to another level when we get to that point. I don't know that Plaxico enters this offense with the ability to fit into it.

But maybe he could.

EDIT: Ya' know what? We could do a lot worse than Plaxico. After taking a second to think about it, I think he is better than Walter. He's a field stretcher more than Walter is...but he has those possession-type abilities that Walter has. Perhaps a notch above Walter. But the money has to be fair to us, IMO.
He knows from the start he is #2 at best with no chance at #1. That pressure gone along with Houstons marshmallow media(compared gto NY) would really let him just play football and move on from his past issues. Add also Smith would have tons of conduct clauses in his contract and Im betting AJ would help him along as well.
DX-TEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #253
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 370555 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

But maybe he could.

I've always liked Walter and have felt that he's been under-appreciated.

However, he's no Plaxico Burress, who could be a no. 1 on many teams, but he is embracing the idea of being a no. 2 behind AJ. These two WRs would literally give defenses hell, because with our TEs and Foster, Schaub would always have an offensive threat to throw to.

The key part about Burress, though, will be his ability to control his issues. And it is his issues that will most likely prevent the Texans FO from even entertaining the notion of signing him. According to his wiki page, he's had some team issues, and I always find that troubling for professionals who make a helluva' lot of money. It's not like he doesn't have incentive to follow team rules, so I always question the character of guys who seem unwilling to act like professionals.

That being said, the Texans have to eventually sign some questionable players that have the talent to help us. This is a perfect example of a player with lots of talent that needs to prove that his second chance is worth the risk.
Old 07-26-2011   #254
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Good News

judybattista Judy Battista
RT @JennyVrentas: Jets extend offer to free-agent receiver Santonio Holmes: http://tinyurl.com/3r9htb5
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #255
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Good News

RT @JennyVrentas: Jets extend offer to free-agent receiver Santonio Holmes: http://tinyurl.com/3r9htb5
Good news indeed.

Skins could still try to top that offer though.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #256
Doppelganger
None

Quote:
Good News

Why is that good? It means less of a chance they can sign Aso?

Old 07-26-2011   #257
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24657 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Shows that their priorities are may lie elsewhere. Also if they do sign him he's not going to be relatively cheap. Could take them out of the Aso market.
Old 07-26-2011   #258
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Exactly, there's absolutely no way they call haul Holmes and Aso. If they extend an offer to Holmes it means they aren't expecting Aso. It's not like they're gonna say "never mind" to Holmes.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011   #259
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Ravens resign Marshall Yanda also.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/201...ms-with-yanda/
Old 07-26-2011   #260
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Shows that their priorities are may lie elsewhere. Also if they do sign him he's not going to be relatively cheap. Could take them out of the Aso market.
And then they might want Weddle back, which might mean $7 mill-per if I read it right in another thread.

If the Jets retain their own guys, it could limit them in trying to get a guy like Aso.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read