Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2011   #501
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakos82 View Post
Yeah, but he's not sticking his tongue out.
See post #498

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011   #502
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Hey now, he's just practicing by throwing the football with one hand and holding the hardware in the other. Can't blame the guy for preparing for his destiny!

Looks good, I like the sound of it!

Go Texans!

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #503
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 25813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
No Tarheel has ever started as a QB either.
Yes, I found this horribly muddled and confusing article from May 2011 (with my own annotations):

UNC QBs in the NFL…or the Lack Thereof
By: WV Wolf May 3, 2011
ACC, College Football, Featured, NCS Football, Stat of the Day

Quote:
Over the weekend during the NFL draft, there was some discussion and questions on SFN’s Twitter account about UNC quarterbacks in the NFL. Thanks to Pro Football Reference (all the stats in this entry are based on stats from this site) I was able to shed some light on the situation which actually ended up getting picked up on Twitter by CBS Sports.

T.J. Yates now makes the 6th UNC QB to be drafted by the NFL, the first since Chris Kupec in 1975. None of those previous 5 draft picks threw a single pass in the NFL.

Scott Stankavage is the only UNC QB to throw a pass in the NFL. He played 1 game for the Denver Broncos in 1984 and 3 games in 1987 for the Miami Dolphins. His career stats are 8 of 25 for 66 yards with 0 touchdowns, 2 interceptions and a rating of 7.9.
This seems to be contradictory information, but I could not find a draft record for Scott Stankavage, so it seems he went undrafted.

An interesting note on Stankavage: Though he had no starts, in the 3 games he played, 2 were losses and 1 was a win where he completed 3-3 passes for 15 yards.

Yates passed him up in one game.

Quote:
No UNC player has ever started at quarterback in the NFL.

Overall passing stats for all 17 UNC players that have thrown a pass in the NFL are 26 of 106 for 395 yards with 2 touchdowns, 18 interceptions and a rating of 24.7. That rating is less than half of Ryan Leaf’s career QB rating.

UNC’s career passing leader in the NFL is HB Ed Sutton who went 5 of 15 for 146 yards and 1 TD for the Washington Redskins from 1957 to 1959.

Amazing that a school that has been playing football since 1888 has never had an NFL starting QB.
Now it says there are 17 players total, but I found that they were all RBs or WRs.

http://www.statefansnation.com/index...-lack-thereof/

On a side note, Ronald Curry the QB phenom out of UNC who lead his team to 2 bowl games was drafted into the NFL in 7th round, pick 235, of the 2002 NFL draft. But not as a QB. As a wide reciever. He never completed a pass in the NFL.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #504
devo-x
Veteran

Rep Power: 269 devo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respecteddevo-x is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to devo-x

Greg Knapp has been busy this season (5 different QBs including Schaub)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...th-texans-qbs/
Adopt-A-Texan 2009: Kevin Walter and Owen Daniels
devo-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #505
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 25813 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

The Bengals game is at the 2 minute warning. The ball is in "The Kid's" hands.

I've heard a lot of people callng for Yates' head in the game thread.

Even if Yates does not pull it out and win this game, you should be ashamed of yourself with the guts this kid has shown.

I didn't see a regression today. I saw growth from a rookie making his first start on the road.
Old 12-11-2011   #506
stingray
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31704 stingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respectedstingray is a quality contributor and well respected

He pulled it off. What a game for the rook!!!
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #507
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I love this kid
Old 12-11-2011   #508
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

T. Yates 26/44 300 Yards 2 TD 1 INT

I didn`t believe he could put up stats like that in his second start. And with that game winning drive. Will Schaub be here next year?
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #509
Iceman16
Veteran

Rep Power: 371 Iceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respectedIceman16 is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it time to start at least considering that this man could be a better fit for the Texans under center than Matt "Anti-Clutch" Schaub?
Iceman16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #510
worldlyman
Veteran

Rep Power: 775 worldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman16 View Post
Is it time to start at least considering that this man could be a better fit for the Texans under center than Matt "Anti-Clutch" Schaub?
Schaub's had his share of clutch moments (Washington, Green Bay, Miami, Kansas City...). But consider this year, with Schaub under center, the Texans have been a dominant scoring machine, even against pretty good defenses. With TJ, the Texans have had to gut those wins out.

A QB controversy of this sort is a nice problem to have, but let's see how the rest of the season pans out. Schaub didn't exactly cause himself to be benched.
worldlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #511
escrimador
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 escrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respectedescrimador is a quality contributor and well respected

Love watching him grow into the position! Of course, Schaub would have put up at least 14 - 20 points in the first half against that secondary. Yates has 3 more games to get more experience before the playoffs. Git ta learnin! oh yeah, long time lurker on this, the main board and BRB...the afterglow of the Texans win is forcing me to interact with my fellow Texans fans. My social anxiety meds (beer) must be working.
escrimador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #512
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
But consider this year, with Schaub under center, the Texans have been a dominant scoring machine, even against pretty good defenses. With TJ, the Texans have had to gut those wins out.
Schaub faced 3 top 10 defenses (Steelers, Ravens, Jaguars) and the Texans averaged 18.3 ppg.

Yates has started against 2 top defenses (Falcons and Bengals) and the Texans have averaged 18.5 ppg.

I'm not trying to suggest that Yates is the better QB. Just setting the facts straight.
Old 12-11-2011   #513
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texanfan4ever View Post
I love this! I'm Yatesing!!
drinking the Yateraide

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #514
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Schaub's had his share of clutch moments (Washington, Green Bay, Miami, Kansas City...). But consider this year, with Schaub under center, the Texans have been a dominant scoring machine, even against pretty good defenses. With TJ, the Texans have had to gut those wins out.
I'm not Anti-Schaub; I still think Schaub is a good enough QB to take us to the promised land. However, the reason the Texans have had to "gut these wins out" is because they faced two really good teams with really good defenses, late in the season, when almost all games gets tougher.

Against playoff bound teams Schaub was 1-2 with a win against the Steelers, and two losses against the Saints and Ravens.

Yates is 2-0 against the Falcons & Bengals. (Well, we might have just ruined the Bengals' chance for a playoff).

Anyway, I'm going to go against my own grain for the sake of argument, because just like baseball, I think it's bullshit to attribute wins and losses to a QB and a pitcher in team sports.

So, I guess my argument doesn't hold much water either when you examine it beneath the skin.
Old 12-11-2011   #515
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 166359 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo-x View Post
Greg Knapp has been busy this season (5 different QBs including Schaub)

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...th-texans-qbs/
man, I hope no one tries to steal him away with the offer of an Offensive Coordinator gig.
ObsiWan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #516
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

i think the game really changed for yates when he ripped one in to walter on the right hash (2nd or 3rd quarter). until that point he seemed to be a little hesitant and as it's said about pitchers "aiming instead of throwing" - several floaters and an overall weakness to his throws. that fireball to walter seemed to change the mood and he let it go a whole lot cleaner and crisper afterwards. edit: if the coaches saw the same, it wouldnt surprise me to see an early route combination that invites TJ to let one rip - anything to get the arm settled earlier. i think that was the idea with the first bomb to jacoby, but without the desired effect.

getting settled, finding his rhythm, and being quicker with his progressions (not staring down targets as well) are just part of the process. he's still got plenty of work to do, but "the kid" is doing so much right that he's just plain fun to watch. i dont think we're ok at quarterback, i think we're good and getting great at quarterback.

i am a little worried about the two or three play actions to nobody though.

Last edited by Scooter; 12-11-2011 at 11:20 PM.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #517
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm going to let the season play out, but Yates is making a case to be a starter. Dude is young athletic and has snake venom in his veins.

He missed some throws that schaub probably makes though.

At this point he is at the very least the backup for sure. Leinart is #3 if he's back.

But if Yates keeps it up I'd seriously consider trading schaub for a first. Take another corner and a stud wr.

I know, this isn't madden. But I can't think straight right now. Kist got back from a Christmas part and I'm a lil tipsy.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #518
worldlyman
Veteran

Rep Power: 775 worldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respectedworldlyman is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Schaub faced 3 top 10 defenses (Steelers, Ravens, Jaguars) and the Texans averaged 18.3 ppg.

Yates has started against 2 top defenses (Falcons and Bengals) and the Texans have averaged 18.5 ppg.

I'm not trying to suggest that Yates is the better QB. Just setting the facts straight.
I mentioned "pretty decent" defenses (not necessarily "top"). And scoring.

-Schaub's offense hung 30 points on what was said to be a fairly stout Cleveland Browns defense at the time of that game. Only one other team has scored 30 or more against the Browns this season.

-Schaub's offense pretty much got 30 out of 37 against a testy Bucs defense in the Pirate Ship. Consider the Saints/Brees only scored 20 in a loss there hitherto. Another high-powered offense like the Falcons/Ryan got 13 in a loss down there against those Bucs this year.

-Schaub's offense plastered 34 points on a Titans team that is not easy to demolish in Nashville. No other team has put 34 points in LP field this year if I'm not mistaken.

If Schaub were healthy, I believe he would have put up more than 17 against the Falcons in Reliant. There are probably many who would agree with that.

Admittedly, who knows how he would have done against the Bengals. The Bengals played tough today. But I am very glad to see TJ's (hopefully) coming out party.

Just wanted to set a few facts straight as well.
worldlyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #519
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 60180 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

If he keeps playing this well or even keeps improving, it will get interesting come draft time when the offers start coming in and you know they will.
kiwitexansfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #520
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
If he keeps playing this well or even keeps improving, it will get interesting come draft time when the offers start coming in and you know they will.
The Texans won't trade Yates. Only draftniks would do that.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read