Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2011   #461
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Some thoughts by Kubiak.

Quote:
HoustonTexans Houston Texans
Kubiak: "Matt (Schaub) will continue to be a big part of T.J.'s growth."
43 minutes ago

Houston Texans
Kubiak on Yates' deep ball: "He handled it the other day...He's capable of doing that."
43 minutes ago

Houston Texans
Kubiak on QB coach Greg Knapp: "The way he prepares those guys is as good as I've been around...He's the positive guy all the time w/them."
45 minutes ago

Houston Texans
Kubiak says he almost signed QB Jeff Garcia earlier. Says he wants 2 veterans behind @TJ_Yates.
46 minutes ago
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #462
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Some thoughts by Kubiak.
Man, I re-watched that game yesterday and I just had a big ol' grin on my face watching him play...

Some of the sacks he avoided...Some of the passes he threw...Just excellent stuff from a rookie 5th rounder...

I think that the announcers on on the broadcast were a little reluctant to point out just how well the guy played....Mostly out of shock...

I had already seen the game live and I still found myself flinching and shocked when he got away from some sacks...

I think it was 3rd quarter and the DE had gotten around Winston and I thought to myself Oh shit...TJ wasn't looking at the guy...he was looking down field...At the last second he gave him the 'ooptie oop' and hit Arian for like an 8 or 9 yard pass...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #463
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
I was curious how TJ Yates matched up with other rookie QBs making their first NFL starts, both from the 2011 draft class and from the past. This is by no means complete, yet I think it's interesting (take it as you will).

2011 Draft Class

#1 Cam Newton: 24-37, 64.9%, 422, 2 TDs, 1 INT, Rate 110.4

#10 Blain Gabbert: 12-21, 57.1%, 139, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 73.3

#12 Christian Ponder: 13-32, 40.6%, 219, 2 TD, 2 IT, Rate 59.2

#35 Andy Dalton: 10-15, 66.7%, 81, 1 TD, 0 INT, Rate 102.4

#152 TJ Yates: 12-25, 48%, 188, 1 TD, 0 INT, Rate 86.8

2010 Draft Class:

#1 Sam Bradford: 32-55, 58.2%, 253, 1 TD, 3 INT, Rate 53.1

#25 Tim Tebow: 8-16, 50.0%, 138, 1 TD, 0 INT, Rate 100.5

#85 Colt McCoy: 9-16, 56.3%, 74, 0 TD, 0 INT, Rate 68.2

Others...

#1 Peyton Manning: 21-37, 56.8%, 302, 1 TD, 3 INT, Rate 58.6

#1 Eli Manning: 17-37, 45.9%, 162, 1 TD, 2 INT, Rate 45.1

#90 Matt Schaub: 17-41, 41.5%, 188, 0 TD, 2 INT, Rate 35.4

#11 Ben Roethlisberger: 12-22, 54.5%, 163, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 74.6

#3 Matt Ryan: 9-13, 69.2%, 161, 1 TD, 0 INT, Rate 137.0

#18 Joe Flacco: 15-29, 51.7%, 129, 0 TD, 0 INT, Rate 63.7

#1 Matthew Stafford: 16-37, 43.2%, 205, 0 TD, 3 INT, Rate 27.4

#1 Carson Palmer: 18-27, 66.7%, 248, 2 TD, 1 INT, Rate 105.2

#27 Dan Marino: 19-29, 65.5%, 322, 3 TD, 2 INT, 108.7

#1 John Elway: 1-8, 12.5%, 14, 0 TD, 1 INT, Rate 0.0

#1 Steve Young: 16-27, 59.3%, 167, 0 TD, 0 INT, Rate 77.2

#1 Troy Aikman: 17-35, 48.6%, 180, 0 TD, 2 INT, Rate 40.2

#3 Vince Young: 14-29, 48.3%, 155, 1 TD, 2 INT, Rate 47.3

What does all this mean? Beats the shit out of me!
Has a rookie QB taken that low ever made a start before? Doesn't seem to be anyone on that list even close!
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #464
TexansForTheW
Veteran

Rep Power: 323 TexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansForTheW is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ's pocket mobility is very Brees like. Athletic and has good footwork. Only if we could give Schauby those traits.
TexansForTheW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #465
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 26851 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Has a rookie QB taken that low ever made a start before? Doesn't seem to be anyone on that list even close!
Yes! Only 3 QBs before TJ Yates were 5th round rookies to make a start in the NFL and win their first games:

1978 - Randy Dean (New York Giants, 5th round - 117th overall)
8-14, 57.1%, 24, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 56.2

1978 - Cliff Olander (San Diego Chargers, 5th round - 128th overall)
5-13, 38.5%, 51, 0 TDs 2 INT, Rate 10.9

2004 - Craig Krenzel (Chicago Bears, 5th round - 148th overall)
13-25, 52.0%, 168, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 70.1

Only Krenzel won his second start. If TJ Yates wins 3 in a row, he holds the record (small though it may be).
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #466
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Yes! Only 3 QBs before TJ Yates were 5th round rookies to make a start in the NFL and win their first games:

1978 - Randy Dean (New York Giants, 5th round - 117th overall)
8-14, 57.1%, 24, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 56.2

1978 - Cliff Olander (San Diego Chargers, 5th round - 128th overall)
5-13, 38.5%, 51, 0 TDs 2 INT, Rate 10.9

2004 - Craig Krenzel (Chicago Bears, 5th round - 148th overall)
13-25, 52.0%, 168, 1 TD, 1 INT, Rate 70.1

Only Krenzel won his second start. If TJ Yates wins 3 in a row, he holds the record (small though it may be).
Yeah, but look up 6th round and beyond. There are a few. Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl, for instance, and was drafted in the 9th round. I know Jeff Blake was a late round pick. Of course there's Kurt Warner and Tom Brady that everyone brings up, but there's also guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassell, both taken in the 7th round. Bruce Gradkowski won a few games as a 6th round pick. Joe Webb was taken in the 6th round and won a couple games with the Vikings last year or '09, I forget which. Orton was taken in the 4th round. Derek Anderson was taken in the 6th round and went to a Pro Bowl. Rosenfels was taken in the 4th round. Bulger was taken in the 6th round the same year as Brady. Hasselbeck was taken in the 6th round and led his team to multiple playoff games and a Super Bowl. Gus Frerotte was a 7th rounder that won a Super Bowl, and Mark Rypien was a 7th rounder that won a SB. Mark Brunell was a 5th rounder. Stan Humphries was a 6th rounder that took his team to the Super Bowl. As you go further back into the past, you're more likely to find late round QBs that started for their teams in playoffs and Super Bowls, like David Woodley or Steve DeBerg.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is, NFL personnel people miss in the draft. And you have to ask yourself how many late round QBs didn't pan out because they were crappy QBs (plenty) vs. how many never panned out because they were never given the sort of opportunity that a high round QB draft pick is given (some)? Give a QB coaching and opportunity and see what he does with it. I think Yates will do well if given enough of both.
Old 12-07-2011   #467
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 200326 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
How about if he wins the SB?

Oh, yeah. That's right. No rookie has ever done that.

Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-07-2011   #468
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
How about if he wins the SB?

Oh, yeah. That's right. No rookie has ever done that.

Well this team has been making history this year!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #469
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 275769 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Yeah, but look up 6th round and beyond. ...
He specified rookies. Brad Johnson didn't start any games until his 3rd year. Jeff Blake 2nd year. Kurt Warner 2nd year in NFL. Tom Brady 2nd year.
Old 12-07-2011   #470
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 207979 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
He specified rookies. Brad Johnson didn't start any games until his 3rd year. Jeff Blake 2nd year. Kurt Warner 2nd year in NFL. Tom Brady 2nd year.
Fair enough, but I don't think there are many highly drafted rookies that have had a great deal of success to start with, either. I just wanted to make the point that draft position doesn't matter as much as people think it does, at least in terms of talent. It matters in how much opportunity they're given.
Old 12-07-2011   #471
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 26851 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriadoc View Post
Yeah, but look up 6th round and beyond. There are a few. Brad Johnson won a Super Bowl, for instance, and was drafted in the 9th round. I know Jeff Blake was a late round pick. Of course there's Kurt Warner and Tom Brady that everyone brings up, but there's also guys like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Cassell, both taken in the 7th round. Bruce Gradkowski won a few games as a 6th round pick. Joe Webb was taken in the 6th round and won a couple games with the Vikings last year or '09, I forget which. Orton was taken in the 4th round. Derek Anderson was taken in the 6th round and went to a Pro Bowl. Rosenfels was taken in the 4th round. Bulger was taken in the 6th round the same year as Brady. Hasselbeck was taken in the 6th round and led his team to multiple playoff games and a Super Bowl. Gus Frerotte was a 7th rounder that won a Super Bowl, and Mark Rypien was a 7th rounder that won a SB. Mark Brunell was a 5th rounder. Stan Humphries was a 6th rounder that took his team to the Super Bowl.

Anyway, I could go on and on, but the point is, NFL personnel people miss in the draft. And you have to ask yourself how many late round QBs didn't pan out because they were crappy QBs (plenty) vs. how many never panned out because they were never given the sort of opportunity that a high round QB draft pick is given (some)? Give a QB coaching and opportunity and see what he does with it. I think Yates will do well if given enough of both.

I know where you're coming from, but the conversation was about starting rookies and wins...not late round QBs and their success.

Mark Brunell didn't start as a rookie
Tom Brady did not start as a rookie
Brad Johnson didn't start as a rookie
Jeff Blake didn't start as a rookie
Kurt Warner didn't start as a rookie
Matt Cassel didn't start as a rookie
Sage Rosenfels didn't start as a rookie
Matt Hasselbeck did not start as a rookie
Stan Humphries did not start as a rookie.

Only half of the names you listed started as a rookies: Fitzpatrick, Gradkowski, Webb, Anderson, Frerotte, Bulger, Rypien and Orton

The only ones to start with any success were Webb, Frerotte and Bulger. Joe Webb was out of the league in two years.

The point is, because we're left with a short list again that it is ideal for a rookie - or any QB draft pick for that matter - to sit and learn the game a while for their odds of success to grow. See all of the above, see Steve McNair (1st round), Steve Deberg (10th round), etc...

Again, like Randy Dean, Cliff Olander and Craig Krenzel, the odds are stacked against TJ Yates for success. One can only hope for the young man that in 10 years people will remember TJ Yates, at least in the same breath as Bulger and Frerotte, at the most in the same breath as Tom Brady and Kurt Warner.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #472
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 225674 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Ran across this and had to laugh.
Old 12-07-2011   #473
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Man, I re-watched that game yesterday and I just had a big ol' grin on my face watching him play...

Some of the sacks he avoided...Some of the passes he threw...Just excellent stuff from a rookie 5th rounder...

I think that the announcers on on the broadcast were a little reluctant to point out just how well the guy played....Mostly out of shock...

I had already seen the game live and I still found myself flinching and shocked when he got away from some sacks...

I think it was 3rd quarter and the DE had gotten around Winston and I thought to myself Oh shit...TJ wasn't looking at the guy...he was looking down field...At the last second he gave him the 'ooptie oop' and hit Arian for like an 8 or 9 yard pass...
My dad called me Monday.

He has been threatening to abandon the Cowboys for about a year now. He recently abandoned the Democrat party about 3 years ago. So he's sort of shaking up his paradigms in terms of having been long-term, diehard Dem and now considering bolting the Cowboys too.

He said watching TJ Yates did it for him. He's enjoying watching the Texans and what they're doing (and have been doing for awhile now). He said he can't put up with Jerry Jones' antics anymore. So he's on board now.

My dad and I used to have little friendly squabbles back when I was a kid. He had his 1990s Cowboys Super Bowl teams that he would rub in my face, asking me how I could ever want to be an Oilers fan when I could be rooting for the best team in Texas (the Cowboys). LOL. Well, that lake has run dry and I think he sees the classy ways of McNair and he sees the sideline demeanor of Kubiak, and it reminds him of the Landry years of long ago.

I'm going to re-watch the Falcons game because I, too, was amazed at Yates escaping all those pressures the way he did.
Old 12-07-2011   #474
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Good post GP. When you see that a group or a person isn't rewarding your longterm loyalty because they refuse to change, there is no shame in jumping ship.

On Yates, today I read a rumor on Rotowire that there were "grumblings" that Kubiak would prefer a vet QB take over and lead after we got deep in the playoffs and he had time to learn the playbook. It sounded like the kind of thing a national media outsider would speculate, then pass off as inside info.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #475
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 44894 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Good post GP. When you see that a group or a person isn't rewarding your longterm loyalty because they refuse to change, there is no shame in jumping ship.

On Yates, today I read a rumor on Rotowire that there were "grumblings" that Kubiak would prefer a vet QB take over and lead after we got deep in the playoffs and he had time to learn the playbook. It sounded like the kind of thing a national media outsider would speculate, then pass off as inside info.
I hope not. I want us to stick it out with TJ. The players are behind him, and I think he gives us a better chance to win than either Garcia or Delhomme. My "Anybody But Kubiak" sig courtesy of GP will go back up if he benches TJ for no reason other than to feel more comfortable with a vet in there.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #476
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Right.

If anything, I'm thinking Kubiak wants to have a veteran QB available to take over should Yates get into trouble.

But I'm willing to bet my house that Kubiak understands he's caught lightning in a bottle with his team's chemistry and he's not about to screw that up by summarily pulling the plug on the kid.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #477
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 166542 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Are you sure that it didn't refer to the fact that Kubiak preferred a vet BACKING UP Yates, and therefore led to Garcia's signing (which was reported)????
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #478
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
My dad called me Monday.

He has been threatening to abandon the Cowboys for about a year now. He recently abandoned the Democrat party about 3 years ago. So he's sort of shaking up his paradigms in terms of having been long-term, diehard Dem and now considering bolting the Cowboys too.

He said watching TJ Yates did it for him. He's enjoying watching the Texans and what they're doing (and have been doing for awhile now). He said he can't put up with Jerry Jones' antics anymore. So he's on board now.

My dad and I used to have little friendly squabbles back when I was a kid. He had his 1990s Cowboys Super Bowl teams that he would rub in my face, asking me how I could ever want to be an Oilers fan when I could be rooting for the best team in Texas (the Cowboys). LOL. Well, that lake has run dry and I think he sees the classy ways of McNair and he sees the sideline demeanor of Kubiak, and it reminds him of the Landry years of long ago.

I'm going to re-watch the Falcons game because I, too, was amazed at Yates escaping all those pressures the way he did.
That's awesome...

My uncle is a huge cowboy and jets fan....He got me into the cowboys and Jets when I was younger...

Skeletons...In...the....closet....
Old 12-08-2011   #479
Rey
Hall of Fame

I was thinking about something else with Yates...

In hindsight, that INT/Non-INT he threw was probably a good thing to humble him. Not saying he was a cocky kid or anything, but he's human. You come out and have a successful day and you start believing the news clippings. On that same drive after Dunta helped us out for old times sake we scored the go ahead TD that turned out to be the winning score...TJ made some nice throws, we pounded the rock and he had that nice run that put us in position to go for it on 4th and short...After we got that first down it was pretty much academic from there...

Anyways, I hope he remembers and forgets that INT that really wasn't...
Old 12-08-2011   #480
Rey
Hall of Fame

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read