Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2011   #401
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I hope TJ has a good game.
Or TB will wanna punch him in his junk.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #402
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
These Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson examples have got to stop, because they've gotten out of hand.
Then put me on ignore.

I think we have something that the Bucs and Ravens did not. Not only do we have a top rated defense, but we've got Andre Johnson, two elite RBs, and an offensive line widely considered one of the best in the NFL. Not to mention some great TEs and other solid targets.

Look, I'm not predicting anything for Yates. Dude is a rookie put in a high pressure situation. But, if decades of watching the NFL is not something that we can draw inspiration and hope from to discuss, what is the point of even having these conversations?
Old 12-02-2011   #403
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 82342 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Last night I was at a bar and this one guy we were talking to threw a huge tantrum when we told him that we weren't confident in TJ Yates. I've seen some homers before, but this guy took the cake. We were discussing other available guys that we'd like to have, and boy did this guy get heated at the fact that we didn't think some 5th round rookie was capable of taking us to the promised land. He talked as if TJ Yates was the most highly sought after QB of all time coming into the league. He even went on and on about how Yates won the game for the Texans last weekend and couldn't fathom the premise that the defense won it for the Texans along with the running game. It was some funny stuff watching this guy go ape shit over TJ Yates.
Tex, I wasn't in Houston last night so it wasn't me. I may be wrong to the 9th degree but something about this "kid" says he's just got *it*. I know what I saw when he took over the 2 minute drill. When he went into the huddle and says "what's up fellas, let's go" says alot to me. The game doesn't sound "too big" for him. Until proven wrong I'm going to be in Yates' corner. I believe he can get it done.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #404
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

From ESPN:

Quote:
Plugging him in as the lead guy is hardly something the Texans envisioned, and hardly the sort of thing seen around the league.

One team that experienced similar circumstances was the 1979 Los Angeles Rams.

After losing Pat Haden to injury in Week 10 that season and then getting an ineffective start from Jeff Rutledge in a Week 11 loss tot the Chicago Bears, the Rams turned over the starting job to Vince Ferragamo, then a third-year pro who had never started an NFL game before.

Ferragamo posted a 4-1 record over the remainder of the regular season as the Rams won the NFC West. They then beat the Cowboys in Dallas and the Buccaneers in Tampa Bay in the NFC playoffs before they fell to the Steelers, 31-19, in Super Bowl XIV.

Someone asked Yates, who was born in 1987, if he knew who Ferragamo was. He said no. Relayed Ferragamo's story, he said simply, "sweet."

Can Yates do anything similar?

Schaub thinks the rookie is equipped to succeed.

“The one thing that I’ve observed, I’ve been in this type of offense now … all the way back into my college days. T.J., for being a rookie, he’s probably picked this offense up to the point where he can function in it well, faster than anyone I’ve seen, including myself, including a lot of players that I’ve been around,” Schaub told KILT radio in Houston this week. “That’s a big credit to him, because this is not an easy offense to pick up. … I, personally, have a ton of confidence that he’s going to go in there and play very well.”

It’s not just the understanding, though. Right tackle Eric Winston said Yates is the most athletic of the Texans’ top three quarterbacks. Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. likes Yates’ arm: “He throws the ball quite well and should be able to get the ball to where it needs to be.” And everyone is talking about the youngester's calm, a key quarterback quality.

The Texans regard themselves as having supreme resolve, and they should. Their top players on offense have missed time -- receiver Andre Johnson was out six games with a hamstring injury and running back Arian Foster missed two and hardly played in one with a hamstring injury -- and outside linebacker Mario Williams was lost for the season with a torn pectoral muscle suffered Oct. 19 against Oakland.

Kansas City probably didn’t come into the season with as much talent as the Texans. But the Chiefs won their division and appeared in the playoffs last season. This season they’ve lost safety Eric Berry, tight end Tony Moeaki, running back Jamaal Charles and quarterback Matt Cassel for the season along the way in their follow-up year.

They are 4-7, tied with San Diego at the bottom of the AFC West.

Houston’s had far better results overcoming injuries.

The mantra is how it’s about the team.

“They know how big the challenge is this weekend, but [they are a] very upbeat group, very positive group,” coach Gary Kubiak said. “… It’s a new world for [Yates]. Last week, he’s getting more reps because he’s the backup. All of a sudden, he’s running the team [Wednesday] and got a lot on his plate, mentally from leaving the classroom to coming out here, but he did fine. He’ll get better every day out here, and that’s the most important thing. The key is everybody else making sure they do their job.”

Said Yates: “Everybody around me is very confident. You can tell this team
hasn’t really skipped a beat as far as intensity or tempo at practice. Nothing seems different except for it’s just a different guy at quarterback.”

Atlanta is the toughest team the Texans will have faced in some time. It’s a game they could have lost even with Schaub healthy. If they lose it with Yates it will hardly be a season-killer.

They simply need to see he can manage the game, maintain the calm they’ve lauded, and can make enough throws to make a defense either stay honest or pay the price for loading up the box with an eighth defender to slow Foster and Ben Tate.

If Yates does that, he can be enough.

If he does that, the Texans will have a chance to make us talk more about how he and the Texans can compare to Ferragamo and those Rams.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011   #405
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
, than maybe I'm wasting my breath here, but even if that were the case I still wouldn't feel confident with a rookie, because he's a rookie and he wasn't even a high prospect at that.
This is a system.. a QB friendly system. It is designed to be easy for QBs to be successful.

A special QB will make this offense special.

We don't need the rookie to be special.

Who the heck is Sage Rosenfels? Nowhere else has their ever been fans wanting Sage Rosenfels to take a meaningful snap for their team. Nowhere, but Houston.

Now, Sage had been in the NFL a lot longer than Yates has by the time he took snaps for this team, but how many meaningful snaps did he take?

Sage also did not have this defense, or this running game.
Old 12-02-2011   #406
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
Look, I'm not predicting anything for Yates. Dude is a rookie put in a high pressure situation. But, if decades of watching the NFL is not something that we can draw inspiration and hope from to discuss, what is the point of even having these conversations?
Good point.

I quit.
Old 12-02-2011   #407
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Then put me on ignore.

I think we have something that the Bucs and Ravens did not. Not only do we have a top rated defense, but we've got Andre Johnson, two elite RBs, and an offensive line widely considered one of the best in the NFL. Not to mention some great TEs and other solid targets.
So all of a sudden you of all people think Yates (Some 5th round kid) is capable of leading this team even though I've never heard you mention confidence in this kid ever until now because he's starting and we're 8-3? You've also belittled Kubiak's coaching for many years now, and all of a sudden you think Kubiak and some 5th round rookie have a great shot??

Quote:
Of course we can all hope. I'm hoping, but that doesn't stop me from being objective. There is no point of having a conversation if we're not going to try to be objective. Otherwise, we should all just say we think we'll win no matter what and that we're the best team regardless of any circumstances. I'm not going to ignore facts or history just because I have hope. I'd be faking it and it wouldn't be real.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-02-2011   #408
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Hit it everyone we all are doing this right now anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgH...eature=related
Old 12-02-2011   #409
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 25097 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Hit it everyone we all are doing this right now anyway.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgH...eature=related
The only other thing we can do is cry.

I would much rather believe.
Old 12-03-2011   #410
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

I haven't seen this posted anywhere.

A VIDEO COMPILATION OF ALL OF T J's 1ST GAME PASSING PLAYS
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #411
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
I'm loving has fast he gets rid of the ball.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #412
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 101421 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So all of a sudden you of all people think Yates (Some 5th round kid) is capable of leading this team even though I've never heard you mention confidence in this kid ever until now because he's starting and we're 8-3? You've also belittled Kubiak's coaching for many years now, and all of a sudden you think Kubiak and some 5th round rookie have a great shot??

Of course we can all hope. I'm hoping, but that doesn't stop me from being objective. There is no point of having a conversation if we're not going to try to be objective. Otherwise, we should all just say we think we'll win no matter what and that we're the best team regardless of any circumstances. I'm not going to ignore facts or history just because I have hope. I'd be faking it and it wouldn't be real.
Cant you just let people try to be positive about the kid. When Schaub was healthy why in the hell would we be trying to talk up Yates, especially when Schaub had led us to 7-3 ? That makes no sense.

And you can say what you want but we all saw how well composed T.J looked the last game, yeah he didnt get us many first down or points in the 2nd half, but that is on Kubiak. Cause he even said so himself, no much you can do when O.D is the next QB in line.

And also sometimes things dont go quite as planned, and you get a little surprise, i'm sorry but some of the greatest things in the world were found by mistake. Such as Viagra, Artifical Sweetner, the Microwave, LSD ......there is a lot more but i will stop there.

So how come we couldnt accidently find a Diamond in the 5th round, why just because he wasnt a high "Prospect" like vince young, Matt Leinart, David Carr, Joey Herrington, Kyle Orton, Jamarcus Russell. Yeah we all see how great them HIGH "Prospects" were.
Old 12-03-2011   #413
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Plugging him in as the lead guy is hardly something the Texans envisioned, and hardly the sort of thing seen around the league.

One team that experienced similar circumstances was the 1979 Los Angeles Rams.

After losing Pat Haden to injury in Week 10 that season and then getting an ineffective start from Jeff Rutledge in a Week 11 loss tot the Chicago Bears, the Rams turned over the starting job to Vince Ferragamo, then a third-year pro who had never started an NFL game before.

Ferragamo posted a 4-1 record over the remainder of the regular season as the Rams won the NFC West. They then beat the Cowboys in Dallas and the Buccaneers in Tampa Bay in the NFC playoffs before they fell to the Steelers, 31-19, in Super Bowl XIV.
Perhaps a more apt comparison would be the 1976 Rams. LA lost their starter, James Harris and backup, Ron Jaworski, during the course of the season. In stepped rookie Pat Haden (a 7th round pick), who rode the leagues #4 defense and rushing attack to a division title.
Old 12-03-2011   #414
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Perhaps a more apt comparison would be the 1976 Rams. LA lost their starter, James Harris and backup, Ron Jaworski, during the course of the season. In stepped rookie Pat Haden (a 7th round pick), who rode the leagues #4 defense and rushing attack to a division title.
So now we know that in 35 years, T.J. Yates will be the AD at USC.
Old 12-03-2011   #415
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
So now we know that in 35 years, T.J. Yates will be the AD at USC.
Probably the AD at UNC.
Old 12-03-2011   #416
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317168 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This is a system.. a QB friendly system. It is designed to be easy for QBs to be successful.

A special QB will make this offense special.

We don't need the rookie to be special.

Who the heck is Sage Rosenfels? Nowhere else has their ever been fans wanting Sage Rosenfels to take a meaningful snap for their team. Nowhere, but Houston.

Now, Sage had been in the NFL a lot longer than Yates has by the time he took snaps for this team, but how many meaningful snaps did he take?

Sage also did not have this defense, or this running game.
Great post, man. My hope is that this QB-friendly system is something that Yates can manage, and along with our defense, maybe, just maybe, we can score early and our defense can do what they do best: protect a lead with aggression.

Quote:
C'mon, man. I'm not some Kubiak fanboy. He is what he is and I just hope he's grown as a HC and has advanced to the point that he's not costing us games with bad time management and bonehead calls.

I did not say that I think Yates is capable. I just hope that he's capable. There is a huge difference between knowing and hoping.

"Great shot" is your words. I could be extremely negative about our chances right now. Part of me wonders if 8-8 and missing the playoffs is our destiny, because I've been conditioned by a decade of perpetual mediocrity and I'm a cynic at my core.

Should I just jump off that bridge and use my objective analysis to preach doom? That would be easy to do, as well.

I'm just having fun - right now - as a fan. Hoping against all odds that this is really a different season. Because I could just as easily know that this is typical of our team's history and 8-3 will be the highpoint of the season.

Quote:
I am trying to be objective, but looking at the potential positives instead of dwelling on the negatives. I'm talking about the potential of our strengths as a team instead of running with the glaringly obvious negative of a rookie QB starting in week 12.

I'm going to suspend my belief in the trend, if even for a moment. I fully understand that tomorrow at 3:00 p.m. I could be snapped back to a reality that our season is effectively over.

I'm not arguing here, but just saying that the sliver of hope available is a life raft to cling to as a fan trying to remain optimistic. Perhaps I should just take off the life vest and sink into the depths...

Quote:
Good point.

I quit.
Me, too.
Old 12-03-2011   #417
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If Yates performs poorly Delhomme will be making SB appearance #2.

How's that for the power of positive thinking?
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011   #418
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

If this team loses all five games and misses the playoffs and Gary is not fired then I will quite on this team. Even with Yates there should not be any excuses this year. This team should be a wildcard at worst. I don't them having a major let down and losing out.
Old 12-03-2011   #419
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4783 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner
, than maybe I'm wasting my breath here, but even if that were the case I still wouldn't feel confident with a rookie, because he's a rookie and he wasn't even a high prospect at that..
Just FYI, Tom Brady was a not very highly touted 6th round pick (I believe) While Ryan Leaf was all the talk coming out of college....
Old 12-03-2011   #420
brakos82
Hall of Fame

Section: 1009 E. Union
Rep Power: 53235 brakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respectedbrakos82 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to brakos82

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-fa...s-1248312.html

Quote:
It took a moment for Carol Yates to understand the significance of what was happening. Motherly instincts tend to take over.

From high atop Jacksonville’s EverBank Field, she watched as Texans quarterback Matt Leinart left the field injured in Sunday’s game against the Jaguars. Her first thoughts were concern for the player’s health and, then, how unfair it was for Leinart, finally getting another chance to start a professional football game.

At the same time, she and her husband, John, noticed his replacement, No. 13, trotting onto the field. It was their son, T.J. Yates, about to make his NFL debut.

“We were stunned to the point we couldn’t speak,” Carol said. “I was thinking ‘He’s not ready. He hasn’t even warmed up.’

“It was the most surprising thing in my whole life, one of my top five moments of my life.”

It was the latest leg in Taylor Jonathan Yates’ remarkable journey from Pope High School to the University of North Carolina and on to the NFL. The odyssey continues Sunday when Yates starts for the Texans against his hometown Falcons.

The 24-year-old rookie has been pressed into a starting role after the Texans lost Matt Schaub (foot) and backup Leinart (broken collarbone) to season-ending injuries in back-to-back weeks. A fifth-round draft pick, Yates was inactive for the first 10 games and moved to the No. 2 spot only after Schaub’s injury. With their son in uniform for the first time and with the proximity of Jacksonville, his parents made the trip to Florida for what they thought would be a relaxing weekend.

“I said to my husband, ‘This is so much fun to come to a game and not freak out and just enjoy it,’” Carol said.

Little did they know.

“Yeah, it’s pretty cool,” Yates said of being thrust into the limelight. “I try not to think too much about it. I’m trying to stay as focused as possible. I’m trying to keep my head out of all the other stuff. It can do nothing but affect my play on the field.”

A year off

Yates’ youth football career started as a third-grader in Indianapolis. The family moved to Cobb County shortly after, and Yates continued to play through his sophomore year at Pope. After a difficult campaign, he took his junior season off to concentrate on basketball.

The 6-foot-4 Yates, who played on the national AAU level, had plans to play Division I basketball. However, he wasn’t attracting offers from top-tiered schools. He accepted the invitation of new Pope coach Bob Swank — after many meetings — to return to football. A chance to play a final season with his friends and a new offensive scheme finally swayed him.

Early in his senior season, North Carolina recruiters attended a game to watch a pair of linebackers on the opposing team. They quickly noticed Yates. He threw five touchdowns and for more than 300 yards in a double-overtime loss.

About a week later, Yates got a call from then-North Carolina coach John Bunting offering him a scholarship. He accepted immediately.

“That was really how good he was,” Swank said of the speed of the recruitment. “T.J. just tore it up. You could see in person he was that good. [After he signed with North Carolina], all of a sudden there was a buzz about him. He wasn’t on anyone’s radar screen because he hadn’t played his junior year.”

Swank had tried to convince the staff at Toledo, where Swank spent the last of his 14 years in the college ranks before coming to Pope, to look at Yates. He told them he was better that Bruce Gradkowski, who played at Toledo and is now in his sixth season in the NFL. Swank said that Maryland and Virginia made offers to Yates once North Carolina recruited him.

Rule changer

Yates played four seasons at North Carolina under Butch Davis, who replaced Bunting. It wasn’t always easy. After a 4-8 campaign as a freshman, Yates led the Tar Heels to three consecutive 8-5 seasons.

His mother recalls that Yates was once booed at a basketball game when he appeared on the scoreboard after his junior season.

Yates threw for 3,418 yards, 19 touchdowns and nine interceptions his senior season. He rallied the Tar Heels to a dramatic comeback 30-27 double overtime victory over Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. The game was highlighted by Yates’ alertly spiking the football with one second remaining in regulation even as the field-goal team attempted to get on the field. After ruling the game over, officials reviewed the play. North Carolina was penalized for too many men on the field, allowing them to kick the game-tying field goal.

This season, the NCAA changed the rule to institute a 10-second runoff as an option if a team commits a penalty that results in a clock stoppage. It is known as the “Dooley Rule” in some circles after Tennessee coach Derek Dooley. It is known as the “T.J. Rule” in other parts.

The play drew praise from North Carolina men’s basketball coach Roy Williams. “I’d take T.J. Yates as a foxhole buddy, because when it was chaos, that young man used his brain, and he’s tough enough to stand in there make throws,’’ Williams said on a radio program. “And I just love him to death.”

Yates, who was named the 2010 Tar Heel of the Year, was one of three recipients of the school’s Patterson Medal for career athletic accomplishment. He will accept the medal in February — at a basketball game.

Yates finished with 9,377 yards and 58 touchdowns. He set more than 40 school records, including every mark for single-season and career pass completions and yards. According to the North Carolina sports-information department, Yates will become the first quarterback from the school to start an NFL game.

Opportunity calls

Yates was drafted in the fifth round by the Texans with the 152nd overall pick. Coach Gary Kubiak said the team had no plans to draft a quarterback, but couldn’t pass on Yates. He spent most of the NFL lockout in Houston working with Schaub and other players informally. As training camp began and the roster trimmed to the final number, the Yates family hung on the hope the Texans would carry three quarterbacks. They did.

Yates waited behind Schaub and Leinart until finally getting his chance Sunday in the final seconds of the first half.

Yates finished 8-of-15 for 70 yards, throwing only nine passes after halftime, as the Texans won 20-13 to improve to 8-3.

“He’s been forced into a tough role, but that’s what he’s here for,” Kubiak said. “He’s worked extremely hard for his opportunity. ... He’s got a bright future in this league. He can do all the things you ask him to do.”

When Yates got into the game Sunday, it set off a wild reaction back home. When his older brother, David, got phone calls that Yates was in the game, he switched from tracking the game online and raced to eldest brother Evan’s home. When they couldn’t get the game on satellite, they moved on to a restaurant for the final quarter.

“I was freaking out,” David said. “I didn’t expect it to be so exciting.”

John and Carol will make the much longer trip to Houston this week. Perhaps their son can score better tickets this time as a starter. They will want to be lower than five rows from the top of the stadium, as they were in Jacksonville.

“It is a very big opportunity,” Yates said. “It’s hard not to look at it in that way because I never expected to be playing this early in my career, especially under the unfortunate circumstances. Two guys ahead of me going down, you never want to see that happen. You have to take every opportunity you get and run with it.

“I’m trying not to look too much outside the box this week. I’m trying to take it meeting by meeting, practice by practice and game by game — just trying to get better every day.”
Havent seen this anywhere yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
For being the most intelligent form of life on our planet, we sure do some incredibly stupid things.
brakos82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read