Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011   #181
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
I watched Virginia Tech in 2008 which is a game where he was pretty decent. Made a couple of errant throws, but overall he was good.

And I watched Virginia Tech last year. He threw 4 ints in this game, but some of those weren't his fault so I'm not holding him up to his stats.

I also watched a youtube clip on him from last year that shows all of his throws and runs against Clemson.

I've already explained what I saw in regards to his inaccuracy. His footwork wasn't sound at all times and it led to some errant throws (mostly low) which again is normal for a lot of Quarterbacks. I'm confident Kubiak's work has gotten him squared away.
Oh I agree that Yates still has a lot he can improve on.
From his footwork to his eye movement, etc.

But let's not forget that he lost his number one receiver (Greg Little, who is now doing quite well in the NFL) and his number TE (we know that the TE is very important in the WCO).
Not only that, he lost 4 RBs (yes, FOUR) during the year - and the RBs are also very important in the WCO.

His receivers consisted of a Jr, 2 Soph, and a Fr (and mistated earlier that it was one Jr and 3 Sophs).

He had to get in sync with new targets, and nothing can help except more reps together.
What he accomplished in his Sr. year was pretty astounding given those facts.

On the other hand, if he was even more accurate, he would have been drafted a lot higher.

I think the Texans were fortunate to find a guy they can work with (not saying that he's sure to turn out to be a legit NFL starter.)

If he can improve the way Schaub had, I think I'm going to like it!

BTW, once in a long while, on the deep ball, Yates would bring the ball back a bit too low on his hip and ended up with a long-winded throwing motion like Schaub used to do (and still does occasionally).
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #182
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78237 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

T.J. Yates Pro-Day:

"I thought he threw the ball well," said Butch Davis (UNC coach), who noted that Yates completed 110 of his 112 attempts. "He's getting bigger and stronger every day."

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...#ixzz1f8EGLpjV
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #183
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9598 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Listen to this: A podcast with Butch Davis, Yates' coach at UNC, after Yates was drafted by the Texans, before the lockout was lifted. This gives about as much insight as you'd want, coupled with things Schaub and Kubes have said.

http://old.houstontexans.com/news/Po...UTO=Y&EID=1354
Thanks. Rep coming your way later.

Yates can surprise a lot of people. I think he will. I think he knows more of the playbook than some expect. The only holding him is what is between his ears, the same as Leinart. And if it is right between the ears, we will have a qb that can make our offense that much more explosive. It is possible that someone will have to start for Schuab next year and this might create a controversy if this guy develops in the right direction. I'm on the Yates train. Hopefully I don't regret it.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #184
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansBull View Post
Thanks. Rep coming your way later.

Yates can surprise a lot of people. I think he will. I think he knows more of the playbook than some expect. The only holding him is what is between his ears, the same as Leinart. And if it is right between the ears, we will have a qb that can make our offense that much more explosive. It is possible that someone will have to start for Schuab next year and this might create a controversy if this guy develops in the right direction. I'm on the Yates train. Hopefully I don't regret it.
Yeah, hopefully none of us will regret it, man (for those of us holding out hope for Yates).

Plus, I was talking to a friend today, and if Yates pans out, that would pretty much seal up that we won't be drafting a QB in the first round next year, but instead the best WR we can get in whatever slot we draft in the 1st. *shrug*
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #185
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLVIST View Post
Yeah, hopefully none of us will regret it, man (for those of us holding out hope for Yates).

Plus, I was talking to a friend today, and if Yates pans out, that would pretty much seal up that we won't be drafting a QB in the first round next year, but instead the best WR we can get in whatever slot we draft in the 1st. *shrug*
We've run through Matt Schaub and Matt Leinart.

We have to make QB the most important draft position. Schaub was already getting less mobile as every season passed, and now the foot injury means his chances are SLIM of ever being even the 2011 Schaub we know him to be.

QB is a problem now. There are some decent choices this season, too, and I would expect us to either trade UP in round 1 or take whatever our round 1 slot ends up being and use it on a QB even if we "think" he'd be there in round 2. QB is everything, IMO. Without it, the offense doesn't work.

Hell, even then...the new round 1 QB would still be a rookie and what can we reasonably expect from even a round 1 rookie QB who is just hitting the NFL and learning how to survive out there?

Gonna' be tough sledding one way or another, I suppose.
Old 11-29-2011   #186
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Is Schaub going to still be able to be around the team regularly and on the sideline to help Yates after he has his surgery tomorrow? Not sure if it's going to require some serious bed rest after this kind of surgery or not.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #187
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

We have to make QB the most important draft position. Schaub was already getting less mobile as every season passed, and now the foot injury means his chances are SLIM of ever being even the 2011 Schaub we know him to be.

QB is a problem now. There are some decent choices this season, too, and I would expect us to either trade UP in round 1 or take whatever our round 1 slot ends up being and use it on a QB even if we "think" he'd be there in round 2. QB is everything, IMO. Without it, the offense doesn't work.

Hell, even then...the new round 1 QB would still be a rookie and what can we reasonably expect from even a round 1 rookie QB who is just hitting the NFL and learning how to survive out there?

While Im not totally against drafting a QB early Im still baffled at the most important draft position. Schaub`s been playing well for us - not elite but well enough to carry us deep into the playoffs. If you want an elite QB you usually need a top 10 draft pick and a lot of luck (...). Both things the Texans usually lack.

So if a QB we really like falls in the draft and into our lap, sure take him. But there is no way I would reach for a QB - not when we are so close to being a real contender (another weapon at WR and a good NT and some good backups might be all we need).
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 11-29-2011   #188
EVOLVIST
Kid A

Rep Power: 28959 EVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respectedEVOLVIST is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post

If Yates comes in tearing the roof off this sucker, you're saying the Texans would still pick up a QB in the first round?

I agree about the Texans needing a QB, but there would be no way they'd reward a badass stretch from TJ Yates with drafting another QB in round 1, plus having Schaub on roster, and Lienart with another year on contract. No way.

Of course, all of this is predicated on Yates kicking the goddamn door down. If Yates comes in and sucks worse than hooker with a cavity, then yeah, hit the QB button in round 1. If Yates rocks it, however, our pal AJ needs a new buddy in the WR Corps.
EVOLVIST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #189
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24496 LikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respectedLikeMike is a quality contributor and well respected

Ive just done a litte research since I don`t know much about college football... it seems like there are 4 potential franchise QBs in the next draft (Luck, Barkley, Griffin and Jones) - all of which should go between 1 and 11. The next QB has a 3d round grade (Tannehill).

So if we want one of the big 4 we need to get at least a top 10 pick. With us probably picking in the 20s, that will be expensive - think Falcons in the last draft. Would you really be willing to give up that much for a potential franchise QB? Think about it, the alternative is going with Schaub (or Yates if he has a kick ass year) - and using all those picks you saved to fill the holes of your team. Maybe get Floyd to fix the WR problem, Ta`amu to fill the NT problem or DeCastro to get a kick ass O-Line. And that`s only the first round.

Id say no matter how bad Yates play - if Schaub gets healthy, only take a QB if one of the big 4 falls below #15. Otherwise just take bpa...
Old 11-29-2011   #190
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeMike View Post
Ive just done a litte research since I don`t know much about college football... it seems like there are 4 potential franchise QBs in the next draft (Luck, Barkley, Griffin and Jones) - all of which should go between 1 and 11. The next QB has a 3d round grade (Tannehill).

So if we want one of the big 4 we need to get at least a top 10 pick. With us probably picking in the 20s, that will be expensive - think Falcons in the last draft. Would you really be willing to give up that much for a potential franchise QB? Think about it, the alternative is going with Schaub (or Yates if he has a kick ass year) - and using all those picks you saved to fill the holes of your team. Maybe get Floyd to fix the WR problem, Ta`amu to fill the NT problem or DeCastro to get a kick ass O-Line. And that`s only the first round.

Id say no matter how bad Yates play - if Schaub gets healthy, only take a QB if one of the big 4 falls below #15. Otherwise just take bpa...
Tannehill won't last past the 2nd round. Kiper actually has him in his top 32 right now, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 1st round at all. Floyd is the receiver I think we need to draft if he's there in the first.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #191
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The big, big, big problem here is that Schaub is probably going to take about a year to get healthy and then we'll find out if he'll even be able to play again. This is a serious surgery on his plant foot. He might not make it back. And it would be a minor miracle if he was back in time for preseason or the beginning of the season.

So we're looking at Yates or Leinart at the beginning of next season.

In a perfect world, Yates BLOWS UP and makes this entire conversation moot. But if he doesn't... are we willing to write off next season with a rookie QB that might just get benched if Schaub comes back? If we pin our hopes on that rookie, then we're basically saying goodbye to Schaub. Our team SHOULD be good enough to get to the playoffs even with the rookie.

If we're willing to do that, then I'm concentrating on RGIII. If RGIII drops to about the 8th or 9th pick, then I find a way to trade up and get him. I'm not sure I'm willing to go up much higher than that and I might look at someone like Tannehill at the end of the first instead.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #192
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7238 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
In a perfect world, Yates BLOWS UP
I think the football gods owe us that. We've suffered enough.

I'm thinking TJ shines.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #193
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The big, big, big problem here is that Schaub is probably going to take about a year to get healthy and then we'll find out if he'll even be able to play again. This is a serious surgery on his plant foot. He might not make it back. And it would be a minor miracle if he was back in time for preseason or the beginning of the season.

In a perfect world, Yates BLOWS UP and makes this entire conversation moot. But if he doesn't... are we willing to write off next season with a rookie QB that might just get benched if Schaub comes back? If we pin our hopes on that rookie, then we're basically saying goodbye to Schaub. Our team SHOULD be good enough to get to the playoffs even with the rookie.

If we're willing to do that, then I'm concentrating on RGIII. If RGIII drops to about the 8th or 9th pick, then I find a way to trade up and get him. I'm not sure I'm willing to go up much higher than that and I might look at someone like Tannehill at the end of the first instead.
This offense with RGIII would be just the remedy for the Colts with Andrew Luck.
I'd like to see that happen, but this GM hasn't shown the ballz to make such a move.
TJ's poise was apparent when he came into Sunday's game cold. Leinart was a
nervous wreck, and could only see Arian Foster. TJ at least is brave enough to
keep his eyes downfield.
Old 11-29-2011   #194
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23440 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we need to wait till we see how TJ handles the falcons.

We may not need to worry about drafting a QB next year.
Old 11-29-2011   #195
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't know what everyone is so worried about, TJ is undefeated right now, he just wins.........
Old 11-29-2011   #196
ThaJokaa
True Texans Fan

Rep Power: 7520 ThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respectedThaJokaa is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
This offense with RGIII would be just the remedy for the Colts with Andrew Luck.
I'd like to see that happen, but this GM hasn't shown the ballz to make such a move.
TJ's poise was apparent when he came into Sunday's game cold. Leinart was a
nervous wreck, and could only see Arian Foster. TJ at least is brave enough to
keep his eyes downfield.
Over Rated IMO
ThaJokaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #197
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

Quote:

So if that`s the case, we should get a high draft pick next season - or have a good QB in Yates. I wouldn`t sell the bank this year because the price would be too high. There never is a guarantee and lots of QBs end up being a disappointment (remember when Alex Smith was the safe pick with serious doubts about Aaron Rodgers?). So just go with it this year, find out at which position we draft and then look at our future. Im pretty sure we`ll have Schaub back before the start of next season. He might not be as mobile... well he never was mobile.

But I like the thought of a young promising franchise QB sitting a year or two behind Schaub. Maybe we should trade with Indy for Luck ;-)
Old 11-29-2011   #198
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 55298 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ will be just fine. And if he isn't, and Schaub can't get healthy, Griffin III will be our guy.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #199
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202592 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
So if that`s the case, we should get a high draft pick next season - or have a good QB in Yates. I wouldn`t sell the bank this year because the price would be too high. There never is a guarantee and lots of QBs end up being a disappointment (remember when Alex Smith was the safe pick with serious doubts about Aaron Rodgers?). So just go with it this year, find out at which position we draft and then look at our future. Im pretty sure we`ll have Schaub back before the start of next season. He might not be as mobile... well he never was mobile.

But I like the thought of a young promising franchise QB sitting a year or two behind Schaub. Maybe we should trade with Indy for Luck ;-)
If we totally tank and Yates is totally abysmal, the worst we can do is 8-8 which means we'll be picking in the middle somewhere. That's not a high draft pick but it does make it easier for us to trade up into the 5-10 range.

From what Doc posted, the recovery time required could easily be a year assuming that he recovers to a point of being able to play at all. I don't think we should pin any hopes for him being back next year.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011   #200
LikeMike
Hall of Fame

I was actually talking about the 2012 season (and Schaub not being healthy). Next draft we won`t have a high draft pick - and that means trading up will be too expensive.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read