Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-20-2011   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default All CBs not named Nnamdi Thread - Free Agency & Texans

According to LZ:

Quote:
LanceZierlein Lance Zierlein
The Texans are a LOCK to sign one of the to 5 CBs on the free agent market. Rumor has it that Cromartie will not be one of their targets.
Old 07-20-2011   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Asomugha, Joseph, Marshall or Taylor will be a Houston Texan

We should be able to buy one of them
Old 07-20-2011   #3
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not according to what I just heard from John Mclain on 610am. He said if the cap is at $120m then the Texans will be right at the cap already. They will need to cut and restructure contracts before even trying to resign their own players.

After hearing that, I'm not to optimistic that the Texans make a huge splash in FA.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Not according to what I just heard from John Mclain on 610am. He said if the cap is at $120m then the Texans will be right at the cap already. They will need to cut and restructure contracts before even trying to resign their own players.

After hearing that, I'm not to optimistic that the Texans make a huge splash in FA.
Would be nice if McClain would give his source for the Texans salaries or where he gets the $120m. I gave an example in my post on the cap with first 3 cuts I listed that 9 million could be saved.
Old 07-20-2011   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post

If you take what LZ and what Mclain are saying, then we are probably seeing the writing on the wall for Leach and the opportunity for Casey to come on. Remember Casey is a Kubiak pick and you know he wants that pick to work. I just think that in a season in which your preseason is going to be cut short, this is a wrong move if so.

On the other hand, I'm more willing to believe LZ vs. Mclain because LZ has proven to be more right than John in recent transactions.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
If you take what LZ and what Mclain are saying, then we are probably seeing the writing on the wall for Leach and the opportunity for Casey to come on. Remember Casey is a Kubiak pick and you know he wants that pick to work. I just think that in a season in which your preseason is going to be cut short, this is a wrong move if so.

On the other hand, I'm more willing to believe LZ vs. Mclain because LZ has proven to be more right than John in recent transactions.
I thought Leach was added to the roster under Kubes?
Old 07-20-2011   #7
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought I read somewhere that teams may be able to specify one player next season and get $3MM reduced of their cap hit (only for cap calculation purposes). The following year it would be 3 players at $1.5MM each. Something like that.

A #1 CB is what is needed for this team and I would take Asomugha, Joseph and Taylor in that order. Marshall is not a #1 corner but would be a great signing if we needed a #2 or so. He could easily be who we end up with but I would be slightly disappointed with that. Aso/Joseph would be the splash. Taylor would be a good quality signing. Marshall is a last resort to attempt to fill a need.

Not surprising that Cromartie would not be on our radar. He's overrated and definitely doesn't fit with the character of players we want.

FWIW: LZ first reported we had an interest in Ike Taylor MONTHS ago. Like January/February timeframe.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-20-2011   #8
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I thought Leach was added to the roster under Kubes?
As a FA, not as a draft pick though. And Leach was primarily brought in because Mike Sherman wanted him. So Kubiak has less fingerprints on Leach than he does on Casey, and the big reason for selecting him was because if his versatility to deep snap, play FB, receiver, TE and even QB.
Old 07-20-2011   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I thought I read somewhere that teams may be able to specify one player next season and get $3MM reduced of their cap hit (only for cap calculation purposes). The following year it would be 3 players at $1.5MM each. Something like that.

A #1 CB is what is needed for this team and I would take Asomugha, Joseph and Taylor in that order. Marshall is not a #1 corner but would be a great signing if we needed a #2 or so. He could easily be who we end up with but I would be slightly disappointed with that. Aso/Joseph would be the splash. Taylor would be a good quality signing. Marshall is a last resort to attempt to fill a need.

Not surprising that Cromartie would not be on our radar. He's overrated and definitely doesn't fit with the character of players we want.

FWIW: LZ first reported we had an interest in Ike Taylor MONTHS ago. Like January/February timeframe.
And he has connections to Pittsburgh. I'd like Taylor, especially for our scheme.
Old 07-20-2011   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Ike Taylor is the most likely to be signed by the Texans. He will go for less money than Aso or Joseph, and the Steelers will be over the cap at the start of free agency if it is 120 million.
Old 07-20-2011   #11
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17337 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

I used to be a big Taylor fan. Now, not so much.

He's old, he's not outstanding in any facet of the game, and he is a veteran Steeler defender.

I just think he'd cause more problems than he'd solve over the course of the next 3-4 years.
Old 07-20-2011   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Would be nice if McClain would give his source for the Texans salaries or where he gets the $120m. I gave an example in my post on the cap with first 3 cuts I listed that 9 million could be saved.
It looks like Yahoo.sports is reporting the same thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp3408

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I used to be a big Taylor fan. Now, not so much.

He's old, he's not outstanding in any facet of the game, and he is a veteran Steeler defender.

I just think he'd cause more problems than he'd solve over the course of the next 3-4 years.
That's pretty freakin enlightening man.
Old 07-20-2011   #14
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Expect Slaton and 0k0ye to be released .... any other dead weight too.

Like I said in the thread on Leach , Smith is gonna earn his keep in this FA period .... or we'll be in for a long season.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Sorry but, who is the Marshall guy they are talking about?
Old 07-20-2011   #16
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42948 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Question, what happens if you are over the cap? Looks like there are going to be a few teams who are in some trouble is the cap stays at $120 million.

LOL @ the Cards! This is the only team that can afford Aso.

Arizona $83 million
Atlanta $102.1 million
Baltimore $101.3 million
Buffalo $96.4 million
Carolina $73 million
Chicago $104.9 million
Cincinnati $90.7 million
Cleveland $99.2 million
Dallas $136.6 million
Denver $125 million
Detroit $113.8 million
Green Bay $129.8 million
Houston $118.4 million
Indianapolis $115.5 million
Jacksonville $78.1 million
Kansas City $74.7 million
Miami $103.1 million
Minnesota $108.4 million
New England $102.3 million
New Orleans $105.2 million
New York Giants $126.3 million
New York Jets $128.5 million
Oakland $85.8 million
Philadelphia $80.8 million
Pittsburgh $116 million
San Diego $85.8 million
San Francisco $100.9 million
Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million
Washington $115.2 million
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ry-cap-figures

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #17
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Expect Slaton and 0k0ye to be released .... any other dead weight too.

Like I said in the thread on Leach , Smith is gonna earn his keep in this FA period .... or we'll be in for a long season.
Leach has to be gone. Okoye, IIRC, only saves us maybe between 1 and 2 mill correct? At least I think that was what he stood to make this year. Maybe I'm wrong.

It'd be nice if a few Texans were lining up at McNair's door to donate some blood (re-structure their contracts), to get Aso or a good CB/S combination here. Time to see if they want a real chance at a 3-to-4 year playoff run.

I don't think we can afford the guy even if we made cuts. Any cap gurus here?
Old 07-20-2011   #18
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
That's pretty freakin enlightening man.
Is there a reason for the sarcasm or am I off-base for not having a 31 year old CB, who is average in coverage, and is playing on a team that is historically known for their free agents under-performing on other teams at the top of my wish list? Especially when there are some other free agents who are considerably more attractive (i.e. the best CB in the league and a 26 and 27 year old cornerback who are both better in coverage).
Old 07-20-2011   #19
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81178 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Ike Taylor is very old for the position, and has been kind of a system guy anyways.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #20
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Question, what happens if you are over the cap? Looks like there are going to be a few teams who are in some trouble is the cap stays at $120 million.

LOL @ the Cards! This is the only team that can afford Aso.

Arizona $83 million
Atlanta $102.1 million
Baltimore $101.3 million
Buffalo $96.4 million
Carolina $73 million
Chicago $104.9 million
Cincinnati $90.7 million
Cleveland $99.2 million
Dallas $136.6 million
Denver $125 million
Detroit $113.8 million
Green Bay $129.8 million
Houston $118.4 million
Indianapolis $115.5 million
Jacksonville $78.1 million
Kansas City $74.7 million
Miami $103.1 million
Minnesota $108.4 million
New England $102.3 million
New Orleans $105.2 million
New York Giants $126.3 million
New York Jets $128.5 million
Oakland $85.8 million
Philadelphia $80.8 million
Pittsburgh $116 million
San Diego $85.8 million
San Francisco $100.9 million
Seattle $81.1 million
St. Louis $102.4 million
Tampa Bay $59.7 million
Tennessee $107.4 million
Washington $115.2 million
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ry-cap-figures
How in the hell can the Bucs be at $60 million???? WTH? That's HALF of ours.

Man, after seeing this--unless I am misinterpreting things--the Eagles, the Chargers, the Bucs, the Cardinals, and possibly either Chiefs/Seahawks have the room (about $40 million, except Bucs who have $60 million) to get Aso.

Unless the Bucs just have like 50 players to re-sign...they could haul in a HUGE number of free agents.

This has to be a deal of some teams having a lot of free agents to re-sign on their own rosters. Please, God, tell me that the Bucs just have a lot of contracts that are up for renewal.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read