Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-19-2011   #1
Mari-OWNED!
Bucco Bruce

Rep Power: 4281 Mari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respectedMari-OWNED! is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Leach has Giants, Seahawks, and Chargers on his radar

Per ESPN.com:

Quote:
One of general manager Jerry Reese’s first priorities will be to re-sign Ahmad Bradshaw.

He also has several other key players likely set to become unrestricted free agents such as Steve Smith, Kevin Boss, Barry Cofield and Mathias Kiwanuka.

While linebacker will be the biggest area of need in free agency for the Giants, fullback is another position that the Giants will have to figure out in camp.

Madison Hedgecock played in just four games last season due to injuries. While tight end Bear Pascoe filled in admirably, the Giants have an All-Pro fullback who says he is considering the Giants.

Texans’ FB Vonta Leach told SiriusXM NFL radio that the Giants are on his list if the free agent doesn’t re-sign with Houston.

Our buddy Adam Schein at SiriusXM NFL radio tweeted that Leach says the “Giants, Seahawks, and Chargers are on his radar if he leaves Houston.”

While Leach would be a great addition, the Giants have more pressing needs such as re-signing as many of their own free agents as possible first. They did try to add Leach in 2007 when they signed him to a restricted free agent offer sheet worth $8 million, including $1.6 million in guarantees.
Mari-OWNED! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #2
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Leach has Giants, Seahawks, and Chargers on his radar

Meh.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #3
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 78686 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

we better resign him. he is a solid player and is very active.
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91487 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Bye bye Leach.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #5
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 68059 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

He almost went to the Giants one time. I hope they resign Vonta, dude is a beast.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #6
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 182645 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

If I remember, Leach is asking for top money that has been given to FBs who also split significant time at RB. Correct me if I'm wrong. His value as an RB is unproven and would be questionable. It is also questionable that some other team would throw top FB/RB money at Leach hoping that the RB "experiment" works. I feel there is a very good chance that Leach re-signs for less money than he now unrealistically thinks he is worth.
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #7
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 97370 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Leach and Jacobs
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2011   #8
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

With the reports on the salary cap we've gotten thus far and the Texans being at or near that cap .... Im really torn.
If they want to sign a top tier FA CB they probably have to make cap room , how they do that and add a veteran S while signing Leach is beyond me. Rick Smith is gonna have to earn his keep this offseason ....

Im not all that excited with the prospects of Casey at FB.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #9
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Adios vonta.

I have no qualms with Casey at fb. Especially if vonta is commanding too much money on the open market.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
If I remember, Leach is asking for top money that has been given to FBs who also split significant time at RB. Correct me if I'm wrong. His value as an RB is unproven and would be questionable. It is also questionable that some other team would throw top FB/RB money at Leach hoping that the RB "experiment" works. I feel there is a very good chance that Leach re-signs for less money than he now unrealistically thinks he is worth.
I think a fb is worth more to some teams than others. If a team runs the ball a lot and keeps a fb on the field most of the time then that position becomes more valuable.

We like the three or four wr set and we use two tight a lot. Vonta isn't even on the field a lot of times for us. It'd make no sense for us to pay him a whole bunch of money.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #11
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6163 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
With the reports on the salary cap we've gotten thus far and the Texans being at or near that cap .... Im really torn.
If they want to sign a top tier FA CB they probably have to make cap room , how they do that and add a veteran S while signing Leach is beyond me. Rick Smith is gonna have to earn his keep this offseason ....

Im not all that excited with the prospects of Casey at FB.
One of the things with the ZBS is that it really doesn't use a fb that heavily. Leech was good enough to justify. However, Casey can be a threat that Leech never will be out of the fb position. May not be a's good of a blocker, but you have to account for him. If it's a cb or Leech, u can't be mad at Smith for going CB
Old 07-20-2011   #12
Clamp
Rookie

Rep Power: 167 Clamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respectedClamp is a quality contributor and well respected

An article on Battle Red Blog, i believe, included some interview with casey. He said he had been studying and working out getting ready just in case he is called upon to step up. If I remember correctly he said that he had put on another 10lbs of muscle. The guy was already called Thor, I cant tell you how curious I am to see him come into training camp. The guy is gonna be jacked. Hopefully he doesnt get over trained athlete syndrome lol.

He is such a receiving threat coming out of the backfield that I think he might be the better overall option even if Vonta were to stay. Vonta is a beast and can truck anyone who gets in his way, and he is a decent receiver when called on but casey has tremendous hands and can do things Leach will never be able to do. He is a better weapon and can create great mismatches. He is too good to let just fill in on occasional packages bc he just happened to get drafted by the most TE happy team in the NFL who also happens to have a seemingly irreplaceable FB.
Clamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #13
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
One of the things with the ZBS is that it really doesn't use a fb that heavily. Leech was good enough to justify. However, Casey can be a threat that Leech never will be out of the fb position. May not be a's good of a blocker, but you have to account for him. If it's a cb or Leech, u can't be mad at Smith for going CB
I cant argue with the bold.

Casey hasnt yet proved much to me yet .... and I really dont expect him to come in and fill the shoes of Leach as a blocker. That dude is just a wrecking ball.

As far as Casey doing things that Leach couldnt , he's got 14 receptions in two seasons .... He's got to prove it before I believe it.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #14
House of Pain
Knee-jerkless

Section: 106
Rep Power: 7055 House of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respectedHouse of Pain is a quality contributor and well respected

As good of a FB Leach is, I think most Texans fans don't want to see him go because of his attitude, demeanor, and how the rest of the guys in the locker room seemed to respond to him. The Texans could use a few more hard nosed guys like Leach to help establish and maintain their identity as a team.
House of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #15
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Letting Leach go will be a move we'll learn to regret very, very heavily.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #16
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14152 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

It seems like all this team ever does is just get younger and younger....So i'm expecting it to happen, the FO guys seem to think that experienced vets can easily be replaced so i'm sure it's no different with Leach.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #17
hobie
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 5549 hobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respectedhobie is a quality contributor and well respected

Well I am torn with this... Leach is a very good FB, and he does deserve a pay raise for helping a practice squad player become the NFL's leading rusher. Now AF get's a lot of that credit, but Leach was a major reason why. Now also being a Giants fan, hell, I would be all over it if he went there.. So for me it is a win/win. Now as for never overpaying a FB..My thoughts are this...

I get that, but as you evaluate your players, at what cost is it to you to decide that not only is it Leach's value, but the value it brings to guys like AF, or for the protection of our QB.. He can block, he can protect, he's a leader, those are the small things that you add up that equal the big picture.

Remember the 90's when Emmitt up in Dallas was running all over the place.. well he had Johnston as his FB opening up holes and blocking like a beast for him... and well Emmit said he owed a lot of his success to him for paving the way. Not every team needs to utilize a FB, but in Houston's scheme, they are a team that does need one, and well I think they do need to pay him to keep him. If not, I have no problems with him going to NY if they offer him the $$ he is looking for...

If Houston does not resign Leach, as said in a previous post, it will come back and bite them....
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #18
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 71634 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Adios vonta.

I have no qualms with Casey at fb. Especially if vonta is commanding too much money on the open market.
Would you be OK with Casey being tasked to knock Ray Lewis out of the gap for Foster?

I would rather have Leach tasked with that duty.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 138732 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe someone could info on how many plays/game Leach was on field?
Old 07-20-2011   #20
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post
Would you be OK with Casey being tasked to knock Ray Lewis out of the gap for Foster?

I would rather have Leach tasked with that duty.
Leach is 6'0 255 according to the team website and James Casey is 6'3 240. That is before he spent the whole offseason adding muscle weight. If he truely added the 10 pounds and has been preparing himself to play FB then I am completely fine with a 250 Casey blocking for Foster.

On top of that, I think it gives Kubes and the Texans offense another weapon on the QB rollout.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read