Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-19-2011   #1
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 77572 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gerald Sensabaugh could be coming to Houston

I can easily see this happening, based on need and the precedent set by acquiring Reggie Herring.

Quote:
The Cowboys' toughest competition for Sensabaugh could come from the Houston Texans have just as big a need at safety as the Cowboys. With Wade Phillips running the Houston defense now, there has been sensible speculation about the Texans pursuing Sensabaugh.

"I could definitely see that if Dallas doesn’t work out," Sensabaugh said. "Wade’s a good guy, I already know his system and it would be an easy transition for me. I wouldn’t have to learn anything new, and at the same time, I’d be able to help the other guys learn Wade’s system. I could see that becoming an option."
Link
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #2
vupac1
Veteran

Rep Power: 358 vupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gerald Sensabaugh could be coming to Houston

God I hope they at least make an ATTEMPT at Weddle before settling for this route
vupac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #3
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

For a near minimum deal, I'm fine with it, but 2.5 mill or more a year is too much. He would help give depth to a position that is mostly filled with rookies right now and he knows the system.
Old 07-19-2011   #4
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Sensabaugh is a classic Smithiak signing. Overpay an average player and then play him irregardless of performance so as to somehow justify your poor judgement. But beggars can't be choosers and he is probably better than what we have...and that is on you, Smithiak. The fact that we are talking about bringing in Sensabaugh tells you how bad things are.

That is what happens when you draft tons of TEs and OL that never even get on the field, rather than drafting Safety prospects. Center was another position that was greatly neglected, but Myers started playing well last year so hopefully were OK there.

Sensabaugh isn't what we need. We need a heart transplant for our defense and some more veteran leadership.
Old 07-19-2011   #5
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

According to the facts, Wade's system is pretty easy to grasp. If it wasn't, he wouldn't have such a remarkable record of turning bad defenses around in one season. The only reason his knowledge of the system should be a big bargaining chip is because the lockout has screwed up most of the instructional time.
Being a betting man, I'm willing to bet that all of the D players has a copy of the playbook and will show up to TC knowing the terminology, base sets and most of the other stuff. These players are professionals in a cut throat business. You either produce or you get replaced. They are doing their utmost to digest and learn Wade's system amongst themselves. I wouldn't be surprised if Ryans is holding weekly bible study sessions with the D to insure this.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #6
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Sensabaugh has been an early target for me. He's no allstar but he knows the system and can bring some "veteranness" to the secondary. I doubt he gets a lot of attention outside the Cowboys and Texans. He respects Wade and would likely choose us over an outside person. Obviously none of us want to overpay him, but I really don't think we'll be getting in a bidding war for his services so it shouldn't be bad.

I'd love to get a real quality SS to put next to Quin but if we don't, I'd be okay with Quin and Sensabaugh as our starting S duo. I'm really high on Keo and think he could be our SS of the future.

Marcus Spears is another FA that could make the short drive down 45.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Second Honeymoon View Post
Sensabaugh is a classic Smithiak signing. Overpay an average player and then play him irregardless of performance so as to somehow justify your poor judgement. But beggars can't be choosers and he is probably better than what we have...and that is on you, Smithiak. The fact that we are talking about bringing in Sensabaugh tells you how bad things are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Sensabaugh has been an early target for me. He's no allstar but he knows the system and can bring some "veteranness" to the secondary. I doubt he gets a lot of attention outside the Cowboys and Texans. He respects Wade and would likely choose us over an outside person. Obviously none of us want to overpay him, but I really don't think we'll be getting in a bidding war for his services so it shouldn't be bad.

I'd love to get a real quality SS to put next to Quin but if we don't, I'd be okay with Quin and Sensabaugh as our starting S duo. I'm really high on Keo and think he could be our SS of the future.

I have thought he would be a target also probably for these combination of reasons. A team can be fine with him as a safety if they have other stuff. He is just not a difference maker.
Old 07-19-2011   #8
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post

I like this post. My only question is about Keo as SS. Doesn't Wade's system use the "twin safeties" we've been trying to have since 2002?
Old 07-19-2011   #9
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I like this post. My only question is about Keo as SS. Doesn't Wade's system use the "twin safeties" we've been trying to have since 2002?
We supposedly stopped trying to do the twin safeties with Bush.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #10
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
We supposedly stopped trying to do the twin safeties with Bush.
Epic FAIL. Twin catastrophes.
Wade's system is the same as Bush's?!?!?!
Old 07-19-2011   #11
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by vupac1 View Post
God I hope they at least make an ATTEMPT at Weddle before settling for this route
why not leave Quinn at CB and use the big FA bucks to land a top safety like Weddle ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #12
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Epic FAIL. Twin catastrophes.
Wade's system is the same as Bush's?!?!?!
Not exactly.

Wade is apparently shifting us back to the twin safety paradigm.

And although Wade's defense uses formations and things that Bush (and Smith) used, Wade concentrates on the formations differently. Some of the responsibilities will be the same between the systems but supposedly, there will be less reaction and more chaos.

Not that we haven't heard that before.
Old 07-19-2011   #13
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
why not leave Quinn at CB and use the big FA bucks to land a top safety like Weddle ?
The idea is to have Quinn at FS and Weddle (or one of the other FA SSs) at SS.
Old 07-19-2011   #14
texanfan2002114 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 614 texanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanfan2002114 is a quality contributor and well respected

Cowboys | Gerald Sensabaugh wants big pay day Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:25:46 -0700

Dallas Cowboys impending free-agent SS Gerald Sensabaugh does not sound like he plans to settle with the team if they attempt to re-sign him to a deal. "I'm going to make myself available to all 32 teams, shop myself around and see exactly what happens," Sensabaugh said. "I'm just really excited about my chance to cash in." He still wants to play for a contending team, and the Cowboys may present the best chance.
texanfan2002114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #15
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

So if we get Aso, by some miracle, won't that price us out of Weddle? And if we are priced out of Weddle, doesn't Sensabaugh sound like a good signing? After all he most likely wont have to worry about that area of the field if Aso is shuttin it down over there.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #16
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 124742 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanfan2002114 View Post
Cowboys | Gerald Sensabaugh wants big pay day Tue, 19 Jul 2011 12:25:46 -0700

Dallas Cowboys impending free-agent SS Gerald Sensabaugh does not sound like he plans to settle with the team if they attempt to re-sign him to a deal. "I'm going to make myself available to all 32 teams, shop myself around and see exactly what happens," Sensabaugh said. "I'm just really excited about my chance to cash in." He still wants to play for a contending team, and the Cowboys may present the best chance.
Not sure how much he's going to be able to "shop himself around". I don't think teams are going to have the luxury to wait. IMO, players that want to shop themselves might get overlooked after that initial call/offer due to teams scampering to fill their rosters.

I reckon we, and the rest of the NFL, have boards similar to draft boards set up and ready to go once the flag drops. If that top player at a position wants to shop himself then move on to the next.
Old 07-19-2011   #17
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember how much fun Schaub and the WRs/TEs had with this loser when he was in Jacksonville? No thanks, I'd rather die with Nolan or Keo back there.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011   #18
nytexan
Veteran

Rep Power: 1436 nytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respectednytexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
So if we get Aso, by some miracle, won't that price us out of Weddle? And if we are priced out of Weddle, doesn't Sensabaugh sound like a good signing? After all he most likely wont have to worry about that area of the field if Aso is shuttin it down over there.
Good post, you make too much sense. They are most likely going to spend the majority of their free agent money on a CB and if so a medium to low priced safety is the next thing to do.

Of course they might really screw everyone's minds and go after a big time safety and a CB on the cheap. Having said that I'm still optimistic they are going to FINALLY get it together and put this team on a playoff march this year. I'm so sick of the lockout that I'm willing to believe just about anything positive about the team just to have some football talk back.

These 24-7 anti-smithiaks please give it a rest until the season starts, at the very least. I'm not sure if some of these guys need to take some Prozac or they've taken so much Prozac their weenies don't work anymore so they're ticked off about that now.
Old 07-19-2011   #19
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

One name for you guys at safety...Dashon Goldson who was a starting safety with the 49ers where the Texans new DB coach was at before.
Old 07-19-2011   #20
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytexan View Post
Good post, you make too much sense. They are most likely going to spend the majority of their free agent money on a CB and if so a medium to low priced safety is the next thing to do.

Of course they might really screw everyone's minds and go after a big time safety and a CB on the cheap. Having said that I'm still optimistic they are going to FINALLY get it together and put this team on a playoff march this year. I'm so sick of the lockout that I'm willing to believe just about anything positive about the team just to have some football talk back.

These 24-7 anti-smithiaks please give it a rest until the season starts, at the very least. I'm not sure if some of these guys need to take some Prozac or they've taken so much Prozac their weenies don't work anymore so they're ticked off about that now.
laughing at your own jokes is lame.
laughing at your own jokes when they aren't even funny is lamer.
just sayin'

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read