Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011   #121
Lucky

Rep Power: 169923 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kareem Jackson's plight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Those screen sshots really point out what I've said about shaub having slow feet and accuracy issues.
Schaub has been in the top 10 in completion % since he joined the Texans. If he has accuracy issues, who doesn't? And how can you get confirmation on a few plays out of nearly 600? Not that I'm challenging 76Texan to post screen shots of every play from 2010. Please don't. I'm just saying...
Old 07-21-2011   #122
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those screen sshots really point out what I've said about shaub having slow feet and accuracy issues. This is abouut jackson, so let me stick with the topic.

Jax didn't play well, but the lbs,safeties, nor rush did him any favors. Against dallas, he was trying to press roy on a slant route. Roy beat the slant, and there wasn't a single lb or safety to squeeze the window. Unless you have deion at cb, non covering lbs and safeties are bigger issues against the pass than a corner. The best defenses in the league against the pass have front 7 people who can pressure and cover windows. Timmons-farrior in pitt and lewis-johnson combo in balt. When tb was really good defensively, brooks and quarles were great in the middle of the field. When the pats had top 5 defenses, vrable,bruschi,colvin,and mcginnis ,batted,tiped,and made the qb throw through bodies. The texans don't have 1 good cover lb. Ryans gave up the same seam route to davis 1 game. Remember when gates went from unknown to superstar vs the texans? Who kills the texans more than clark? What about zack miller from the jags last year? Until the texans lbs get a clue about rutes, they can sign nitrane lane and it wouldn't matter.
Agreed!
All you need to see is how the other team play us.
I've said that our CBs (as bad as they looked, and I mean all of them) still played better than the ones we saw accross the field (overall in 16 games).
The other guys had better LB and safety's help than ours.
Yet, Schaub still had a very good year even though AJ wasn't his normal self.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #123
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Schaub has been in the top 10 in completion % since he joined the Texans. If he has accuracy issues, who doesn't? And how can you get confirmation on a few plays out of nearly 600? Not that I'm challenging 76Texan to post screen shots of every play from 2010. Please don't. I'm just saying...
Schaub saw more pressure this past year.
Some of his passes that were off-target were due to pressure.
A few of them, he rushed a little bit for the same reason.
Some misses were due to miscommunication between him and the receivers.
He does miss some without any pressure, but all of the QBs do.
Overall, I don't see Schaub as having problem in this regard.
Old 07-21-2011   #124
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You aint shittin .... RB's and TE's had their way with this defese underneath.

Im really concerned with the LB's in this 3-4 we'll see this year with Barwin and MW on the outside.
Teams will find a way to force them to cover or exploit their un-willingness to do so.

Cushing wasnt good in coverage at all last season ... Sure he had INT's in his rookie season but those were more a result of his being in the right place at the right time rather than coverage ability.

Ryans ..... who knows how he's going to look coming off of this injury , he wasnt a world beater in coverage to begin with. Not bad just not great either.

They sure better improve the back end of this defense and hope like hell they can put a lot of pressure on opposing QB's because of the above.

I wonder how much of the LB's issues with coverage was scheme related and how much is just lack of ability in that particular skill. We'll have to wait to find out.
From my observations, I think because we played so much zone since Richard Smith, the back seven weren't taught to recognize route patterns as a whole.
When the opponents flood one zone with 2 or 3 receivers, we were left short-handed since we didn't stretch our zones very well as compared to better defenses.
The Ravens, for example, played a lot of zone, but their zone is much tighter than ours.

Wade's scheme relies on teaching the player to recognize routes and patterns. The LBs (especially the ILBs) will be of much more help in pass defense.
Old 07-21-2011   #125
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Those screen sshots really point out what I've said about shaub having slow feet and accuracy issues. This is abouut jackson, so let me stick with the topic.

Jax didn't play well, but the lbs,safeties, nor rush did him any favors. Against dallas, he was trying to press roy on a slant route. Roy beat the slant, and there wasn't a single lb or safety to squeeze the window. Unless you have deion at cb, non covering lbs and safeties are bigger issues against the pass than a corner. The best defenses in the league against the pass have front 7 people who can pressure and cover windows. Timmons-farrior in pitt and lewis-johnson combo in balt. When tb was really good defensively, brooks and quarles were great in the middle of the field. When the pats had top 5 defenses, vrable,bruschi,colvin,and mcginnis ,batted,tiped,and made the qb throw through bodies. The texans don't have 1 good cover lb. Ryans gave up the same seam route to davis 1 game. Remember when gates went from unknown to superstar vs the texans? Who kills the texans more than clark? What about zack miller from the jags last year? Until the texans lbs get a clue about rutes, they can sign nitrane lane and it wouldn't matter.
Good points

What concerns me is Cushing going to be better in coverage than last yr? Are Ryans (Achillies) and Barwin (having his foot turned around) going to be able to come back healthy and provide Farrior type coverage? These types of injuries take the quickness necessary to cover areas away. I have my doubts. But hope I'm wrong.

MW isn't ever going to be dropping into coverage so this isn't an issue for him.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011   #126
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Against dallas, he was trying to press roy on a slant route. Roy beat the slant, and there wasn't a single lb or safety to squeeze the window.
The main problem with this pass was that the Center crossed the LOS to block Diles (illegal man downfield - not called).
I'm sure both Diles and Wilson read "draw" and then "screen".

Wilson was flat-footed even after the pass had already left Romo's hand.
I bet you he was thinking: "draw, screen... what the heck, pass? Why wasn't there a flag thrown." And then it was too late.

Aikman in the booth must have seen it but he only said "No flag"!
If he didn't see it then he doesn't belong there!

Technique-wise, as Jackson put a hand up to Williams' chest to jam him, the receiver stepped to one side and put a hand on Jackson's BACK shoulder to steer him away. That's a smart move by a veteran (but illegal).
Jackson needs to learn a lot of tricks of the trade. A lot of it can be won or lost within the first seven yards.

This one is another of Jackson's plight.
It has nothing to do with his ability or inability.

Playing with 10 men on the field on the Galloway's TD and now letting the opponent get away with a TD on a play like this?
Old 07-21-2011   #127
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
And part of the reason why it happened to Jackson more often than anyone is because of the extraordinarily bad safety help.

Not saying he would have been great, but he wouldn't have been anywhere as bad if he had gotten the help he was supposed to have gotten.
Yeah. And now those bums are on the street. Where is KJ? The starting lineup probably.

IDK....to me....I see him in the same light as Glover Quin. Bigger guy for a CB who is a step slow to be a CB but has decent speed, a willing and capable tackler and not the greatest coverage guy ever. By which I mean, I think they are both safeties. They could be the mythical twin safeties we've never had! They both fit that mold of Smithiak picks, big CBs who tackle as well or better than they cover. It's not even much of a stretch to put them both at S.

With Wade's picks of CB- Harris/Carmical filling in depth behind Allen and whoever they sign....you can even keep your boy Smithy, Antwan Molden!!!

Really though, Wade's CB picks seemed to go after guys whose best asset were COVERAGE. The only guy Smithiak picked that I thought his best asset was to cover was Fred Bennett. Molden's best asset is athleticism. Quin's is size/all around game. KJ's is....a good college defense.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-21-2011   #128
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Roy Williams, a TD that shouldn't have been!

These screen shots will show the Center crossed the LOS to block before the pass was released.
That's illegal. The play should have been blown dead as soon as the ball left Romo's hand.
Diles should have grabbed the Center and called it out to the ref.
Bush should have been fired on the spot as the Cowboys kicked the point after.

Old 07-21-2011   #129
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Technique.
R. Williams with an illegal maneuver that is difficult for the side judge to see.
Jackson needs to learn to avoid it as best as a CB can (and pull out some tricks of his own.)

Williams finished his maneuver with a hold right there that wasn't called either.
Old 07-21-2011   #130
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Wilson flat-footed even after the pass has already been thrown.

Old 07-21-2011   #131
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Old 07-21-2011   #132
76Texan
Hall of Fame

This is not two ships passing each other at night.
Rather, it was a ship that left Wilson stranded.
He may have been waiting for a flag, but then you need to play until after the whistle blows.
(After the game, they said that Wlson pulled a hammy on this play.)
Old 07-21-2011   #133
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Back to the two-receiver route, so how else can a defense play it?

The Chargers played it safe; even with Jammer (a #5 pick overall in 2003) at CB vs a one-legged AJ, they kept the safety back at bay.
They'd rather give up the underneath route.
Here's the 33-yd pass to Casey.

The Texans were in a 2-TE set so the Chargers brought in another safety.
Casey went into motion from left to right and ran the crossing route while AJ ran the deep route.

You can see the whole sequence here.
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...033yd%20Catch/

It doesn't show the CB and the safety at the end because they were both so deep.

(Note: The sub-album is in reverse order._
Old 07-21-2011   #134
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The Chargers did the same thing on a 17-yd catch by JJ.
Notice that both CBs and the safety dropped deep.
Weddel did not jump until Schaub had thrown the pass (unlike Wilson who jumped way ahead.)

Old 07-21-2011   #135
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The view from behind the offense shows how Weddle played the deep middle to protect the LCB from AJ before he came down on the slant route.

You can see the whole sequence here:

http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/...20catch/Front/
Old 07-21-2011   #136
76Texan
Hall of Fame

And how about just great safety play?
How about some collegiate kid in his Junior year?
I have here Andre McDaniel in 09 (Clemson vs Miami).

He played the deep route first before jumping the underneath route for an INT.

Here's the side view:

Old 07-21-2011   #137
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Old 07-21-2011   #138
76Texan
Hall of Fame

The back view picks up as the QB already rolled out.
Compare the first screen shot of the following sequence (back view) with the first one from the previous one (side view.)

McDaniel was originally nearer to the hashmarks on the other side but had now moved accross the field with the roll-out action and the two-receiver route.

He got himself into much better position than any pro safety we've seen so far in this series.

Old 07-21-2011   #139
76Texan
Hall of Fame

You can see that the receiver adjusted by steering back to the outside, but McDaniel was still right there, forcing the QB to go with the underneath route.
(The LCB should also be on the outside of the receiver, perhaps trailing, just as any other CB we've seen.)

Old 07-21-2011   #140
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read