Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 07-17-2011   #1
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Days from realizing FA status, Cedric Benson busted for Assault

running back Cedric Benson was arrested and charged with assault causing bodily injury to a family member early Sunday morning in Central Texas.

Benson

No other details were available from the Travis County sheriff's office regarding the Class A misdemeanor charge. Benson will be a free agent once a new collective-bargaining agreement is in place. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...assault-charge
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #2
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Days from realizing FA status, Cedric Benson busted for Assault

Well, I guess Kubiak and Smith are to be commended for not out-bidding the Bengals for Cedric Benson.

I'm big enough to admit that I was wrong and they were right.

Old 07-17-2011   #3
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The last paragraph is an indictment that sadly seems to extrapolate to more and more teams.

Too many NFL players pursuing their career are becoming kids with too much money, too much time on their hands, too much perception of entitlement, and too little sense of responsibility. They require "handlers" to keep them from becoming career criminals.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #4
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The last paragraph is an indictment that sadly seems to extrapolate to more and more teams.

Too many NFL players pursuing their career are becoming kids with too much money, too much time on their hands, too much perception of entitlement, and too little sense of responsibility. They require "handlers" to keep them from becoming career criminals.
I've been saying this for years now, and it's exactly why I don't feel any of them deserve more money and why I side with the owners. They already make way more money than what they need to be making and most of them still blow all of it and for some strange reason I don't see or hear about near the same types of problems with MLB players or NHL athletes who make ten times less the money.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #5
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I've been saying this for years now, and it's exactly why I don't feel any of them deserve more money and why I side with the owners. They already make way more money than what they need to be making and most of them still blow all of it and for some strange reason I don't see or hear about near the same types of problems with MLB players or NHL athletes who make ten times less the money.
For years, I haven't really worried about it.

I look at them as entertainers. These guys are like a resource generating a ton of money and because of that, they deserve to make a ton of money. If Julia Roberts is going to make $20 million for making a piece of crap movie with no socially redeeming value, then these guys should get a nice chunk of change as well.

But you're absolutely right. Many of these guys are just not in a mental/emotional state to properly and responsibly handle that kind of money and it seems like the more money they make (or stand to make), the greater the chance they're going to spin out of control and do all sorts of stupid stuff.

MLB has lots of examples of guys doing stupid, self-destructive things but it seems much more pronounced in the NFL.

It would be great if it were more financially lucrative to go to school and get a degree and work in certain fields than to hit the genetic jackpot and cash in by playing sports. But, that's life.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I've been saying this for years now, and it's exactly why I don't feel any of them deserve more money and why I side with the owners. They already make way more money than what they need to be making...
Any? Who decides who deserves what? And how much "they" need?

Booting the screwups out is a justifiable position. If they can't comport themselves in a manner that's beneficial to the business, they don't really belong. But to deny the overwhelming majority the money they can negotiate based upon the actions of a few bad apples is nonsense.
Old 07-17-2011   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Any? Who decides who deserves what? And how much "they" need?

Booting the screwups out is a justifiable position. If they can't comport themselves in a manner that's beneficial to the business, they don't really belong. But to deny the overwhelming majority the money they can negotiate based upon the actions of a few bad apples is nonsense.
It's not just a few bad apples. It's a ton of players and has been for the last 15 years. Arrests were so bad a few years ago when Goodell came in, it was nuts. For everyone that acts like Paul T. was this great commish which he was, neglects the fact that Paul T. was way to lenient on crime amongst players and punishing them. I loved Goodell's strong stance, but just haven't liked his lack of consistency on handing out punishments because he has never carried one strong consistent line of punishments as far as suspensions and fines for repeat offenders.

As far as the money goes, athletes in all the major sports are so way over paid that I could go on and on all day long. They simply are and in the NFL the league minimum is like $350,000 dollars a year and I forgot what the statistics were of players that go broke or bankrupt just a few years out of retirement from the NFL but the stats were astounding and made these guys that have let that happen after so many years of league minimum pay and greater look pathetic in my eyes at how so many of them could be so irresponsible as grown men. Sorry, but I've struggled through all different types of jobs and downfalls just like anyone else and I've never made a salary of over $50,000 and I've worked my ass off, but I've never gone bankrupt, I've bought a house and also lived in very nice places in Houston and lived a pretty nice lifestyle. Managing money isn't difficult. Live amongst your means. If you're buying several houses, jewlery, and cars and throwing it all away in the strip club for years then you're irresponsible. You add all of that to all of these stupid arrests I hear about with guys like Benson, Pac Man, and so many others I think it's a shame these guys get the opportunities they do and screw it all up.
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2011   #8
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
For years, I haven't really worried about it.

I look at them as entertainers. These guys are like a resource generating a ton of money and because of that, they deserve to make a ton of money. If Julia Roberts is going to make $20 million for making a piece of crap movie with no socially redeeming value, then these guys should get a nice chunk of change as well.

But you're absolutely right. Many of these guys are just not in a mental/emotional state to properly and responsibly handle that kind of money and it seems like the more money they make (or stand to make), the greater the chance they're going to spin out of control and do all sorts of stupid stuff.
You nailed it right here Pencil Neck. The more money you keep giving these guys the higher chance that these guys lose motivation to follow the rules, stay out of jail, and more importantly work hard to maintain the level of athleticism and skills they have to compete at the highest level for the fans. Athletes in all the major sports have been getting their salaries increased for the last 20 years? When does it ever stop or hit a cap?? It has to at some point, or you'll eventually see each sport lose it's competitive edge. I've already seen that happen with the MLB and the NBA in my eyes and hardly watch either of them. I don't want to see that happen with the NFL. MMA is my 2nd favorite sport now and one of the reasons why is because all of the fighters are so hungry and constantly motivated. They don't make even a sample of what top NFL players make though. Even the best of the best don't make that kind of dough. Every league should do it's best to make sure that their athletes are going to have the strongest mental edge and motivation to compete possible, and the more money you keep throwing at the competitors when it starts getting in the Millions, then the more you stand to lose that competitive edge and motivation from your workers.
Old 07-17-2011   #9
Lucky

Rep Power: 153310 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not just a few bad apples. It's a ton of players and has been for the last 15 years...
No, it's not a ton of players. There are 51 players on every active roster, 8 on a practice squad, and more than a handful on IR. Over 2000 players, and there's major turnover (300+) every year. Take that many out of the general population (of the same age group) and you will likely find a similar incident %. Being a football player doesn't make them superhuman, or super smart. Just human.

Again, I'm all for a harder line on players who run afoul of the law. That has nothing to do with the rest of the guys who obey the law ability to make money.
Old 07-17-2011   #10
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
No, it's not a ton of players. There are 51 players on every active roster, 8 on a practice squad, and more than a handful on IR. Over 2000 players, and there's major turnover (300+) every year. Take that many out of the general population (of the same age group) and you will likely find a similar incident %. Being a football player doesn't make them superhuman, or super smart. Just human.

Again, I'm all for a harder line on players who run afoul of the law. That has nothing to do with the rest of the guys who obey the law ability to make money.
Again the league minimum is $350,000 dollars a year. That's enough money to call yourself rich if you make just that per year for a few years and put your money in good investments and spend it wisely like any rational person should in this day and age. There are to many places to get good advice and educated ideas on what to do with money like that in America. The NFL gives every rookie a ton of seminars and all sorts of things that are mandatory before they even enter the league on how to deal with the media, invest your money, and all sorts of things that the average person in America does not get without having to spend thousands of dollars for this kind of stuff that they get for free. And we were just talking about league minimum. Look at the rest of the guys that are making several Millions per year and I'm sorry, but that's a boat load of money for anyone in America to build an easy laid back life with. Are you suggesting that the NFL players aren't making enough money???
Old 07-17-2011   #11
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

the players are paid what the market will bear. i will not fault the players for trying to get money as their careers are short.

but we have knuckleheads like Cedric and PacMan that seem to be a magnet for trouble. didn't Chappell do a skit about 'keeping it real'. These guys don't realize that keeping it real is keeping them in trouble. If your family isn't down for you, don't be down for them. If your friends aren't down for you, don't be down for them. And being down doesn't mean having your back in a fight or not being a snitch. It means trying to support and nurture your family member/friend's career. If that means not going to the hoodrat clubs, then so be it. if that means carrying yourself in a more respectable manner (clothes, manners, vocabulary) then do it.

Its tough for some of these guys though, because they haven't had a lot of role models in their lives and not many in their professional lives either. We need more guys like Jim Brown. Guys that made mistakes but made up for them by recognizing their place in today's culture and being a positive force for positive change.
Old 07-17-2011   #12
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 202148 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
It's not just a few bad apples. It's a ton of players and has been for the last 15 years. Arrests were so bad a few years ago when Goodell came in, it was nuts. For everyone that acts like Paul T. was this great commish which he was, neglects the fact that Paul T. was way to lenient on crime amongst players and punishing them. I loved Goodell's strong stance, but just haven't liked his lack of consistency on handing out punishments because he has never carried one strong consistent line of punishments as far as suspensions and fines for repeat offenders.

As far as the money goes, athletes in all the major sports are so way over paid that I could go on and on all day long. They simply are and in the NFL the league minimum is like $350,000 dollars a year and I forgot what the statistics were of players that go broke or bankrupt just a few years out of retirement from the NFL but the stats were astounding and made these guys that have let that happen after so many years of league minimum pay and greater look pathetic in my eyes at how so many of them could be so irresponsible as grown men. Sorry, but I've struggled through all different types of jobs and downfalls just like anyone else and I've never made a salary of over $50,000 and I've worked my ass off, but I've never gone bankrupt, I've bought a house and also lived in very nice places in Houston and lived a pretty nice lifestyle. Managing money isn't difficult. Live amongst your means. If you're buying several houses, jewlery, and cars and throwing it all away in the strip club for years then you're irresponsible. You add all of that to all of these stupid arrests I hear about with guys like Benson, Pac Man, and so many others I think it's a shame these guys get the opportunities they do and screw it all up.
This is the landmark article by Sports Illustrated:

How (and Why) Athletes Go Broke

Quote:
• By the time they have been retired for two years, 78% of former NFL players have gone bankrupt or are under financial stress because of joblessness or divorce.

• Within five years of retirement, an estimated 60% of former NBA players are broke.

• Numerous retired MLB players have been similarly ruined, and the current economic crisis is taking a toll on some active players as well.
Quote:
The Wall Street meltdown is only the latest threat to athletes' financial health. "Athletes have a different set of challenges from, say, entertainers," says money manager Michael Seymour, the founder of Philadelphia-based UNI Private Wealth Strategies. "There's a far shorter peak earnings period [in sports] than in any other profession, and in many cases they lack the time and desire to understand and monitor their investments."
Note the disproportionate numbers having come out of the NFL. This article was released in March 2009.........the economy has taken a dive since.........wonder what those numbers would be now.
Old 07-17-2011   #13
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It would be great if it were more financially lucrative to go to school and get a degree and work in certain fields than to hit the genetic jackpot and cash in by playing sports. But, that's life.
Because it's not hard work to hone your body to perform at its best.

Anyone can have rock hard abs, 40" verticals, sub 4.5 speed, the ability to shed tackles from 250+ pound men.... all you need to do is hit the genetic jack pot..... don't worry about working out, or dieting, or training, or practice..
Old 07-17-2011   #14
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
For everyone that acts like Paul T. was this great commish which he was, neglects the fact that Paul T. was way to lenient on crime amongst players and punishing them. I loved Goodell's strong stance, but just haven't liked his lack of consistency on handing out punishments because he has never carried one strong consistent line of punishments as far as suspensions and fines for repeat offenders.
When did the NFL become a branch of law enforcement? Do they carry badges?

IMO, Tagliabauh & Goodell don't need to be punishing anyone. That's overreaching their authority if you ask me. They don't work for Goodell. They work for their respective teams. The teams should be disciplining them if anything.

IMO, that will get the players attention. If Pac-Man Jones is arrested on Tuesday, but plays on Sunday, Goodell (or Tag at the time I think) should have fined the Titans, banned their coach from the team for a week, Penalized their salary cap... something to make these independent organizations take responsibility for their employees.

Same thing for you & me. If I step out of line, I'm not going to hear from my CEO.... I should get an earful from my supervisor. If my Supervisor has several bad apples, then he'll hear from his supervisor.... so on & so forth.

Instead of fining James Harrison.. fine the Steelers. I bet they'll find a way to get him to clean up his play, or not play at all.

Quote:
As far as the money goes, athletes in all the major sports are so way over paid......
You're overpaid.

Don't like it when someone who doesn't know shit about you tells you you're overpaid do you?
Old 07-17-2011   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
You nailed it right here Pencil Neck. The more money you keep giving these guys the higher chance that these guys lose motivation to follow the rules, stay out of jail, and more importantly work hard to maintain the level of athleticism and skills they have to compete at the highest level for the fans. ....
How many players enter the league each year?

How many of them end up doing stupid shit?

You ever hear of little man syndrome?
Old 07-17-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Because it's not hard work to hone your body to perform at its best.

Anyone can have rock hard abs, 40" verticals, sub 4.5 speed, the ability to shed tackles from 250+ pound men.... all you need to do is hit the genetic jack pot..... don't worry about working out, or dieting, or training, or practice..
Dude. Seriously?

Is your counter argument that all you have to do is work out, diet, train, and practice to make it? Are you arguing that anyone who wants to can make it to the NFL even if they have the worst genetics in the world?

I'm a powerlifter and I'm 5' 7" if I stand up straight. And I know that no matter how hard I work, there are some things I will never be able to do. I will never, ever squat 1000 pounds. I will never, ever bench 400 pounds.

I did not hit that genetic jackpot. My rotator cuff is made of tissue paper and my AC joint is made of razors. When I push my bench too hard or too quick, I tear my RC. I spent an entire year of my life not being able to touch the top of my head with my right hand because of that.

Playing football even at the Division I college level was not an option and I was never going to make it to the NFL. No matter how much I loved football or how much I trained or how hard I hit the weights.

There are lots of guys who DID hit the genetic jackpot. Not all of them take advantage of it. Not all of them work hard enough -- be that in the film room, or the weight room, or on the track. The most talented football player of all time probably never got up off his couch to even try to play.

Professional level athletes hit a genetic jackpot. Don't fool yourself into thinking that they didn't. They are tall enough, they are strong enough, they are fast enough, they are durable enough, and they are smart enough. If you're shorter, then you have to be stronger and faster to make up for it. If you're not durable, you'll never make it. If you're not smart, you have to be bigger, faster, and stronger to make up for it. But if you're short and slow, you can forget it.

On top of that, they had the 'want to' and the hunger to go after it.

So don't even try to twist this into something I didn't say.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #17
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
running back Cedric Benson was arrested and charged with assault causing bodily injury to a family member early Sunday morning in Central Texas.

Benson

No other details were available from the Travis County sheriff's office regarding the Class A misdemeanor charge. Benson will be a free agent once a new collective-bargaining agreement is in place. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...assault-charge
Am I the only one who'll whup a family member's ass if I think they are out of line?

fuk the police.

& I feel sorry for whoever called the poe-poe whenever I get out.

You can call it gangsta if you want, I call it taking up for my moms, my sister, my little brother, my nieces, etc..
Old 07-17-2011   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Dude. Seriously?

Is your counter argument that all you have to do is work out, diet, train, and practice to make it? Are you arguing that anyone who wants to can make it to the NFL even if they have the worst genetics in the world?

There are lots of guys who DID hit the genetic jackpot. Not all of them take advantage of it. Not all of them work hard enough -- be that in the film room, or the weight room, or on the track. The most talented football player of all time probably never got up off his couch to even try to play.

On top of that, they had the 'want to' and the hunger to go after it.
That's all I'm saying, it's hard work on top of that genetic jackpot Hundreds of talented players fade out of the NFL as never wases because of that.

Quote:
So don't even try to twist this into something I didn't say.
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't know where I got that idea from.
Old 07-17-2011   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, I guess Kubiak and Smith are to be commended for not out-bidding the Bengals for Cedric Benson.

I'm big enough to admit that I was wrong and they were right.

The would've made the playoffs in 2009 if they had signed Benson.

I know this isn't a popular stance on the MB but I dont care about guys with character concerns. Just wins

Alot of fans have fallen for Billionaire BoBBys sales job. I just want a winning team and dont care how we (fans) get one. This isn't Sunday school. I cant believe how some fans would rather have a losing team than have guys with character faws on the team.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #20
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

The victim was not a family member. Here is an information update.

Quote:
The incident took place at the corner of 5th Street and Guadalupe. According to the arrest affidavit, the victim — a former roommate, Clavens Charles — was on his cell phone at 4:45 a.m.

Charles said a "hostile and aggressive" Benson told him they needed to talk about their problems. He then stated the two began to argue, and that's when Benson allegedly punched him in the left side of his face multiple times.

"The two had difficulties resulting from Mr. Benson asking the former male roommate to leave his home a few days prior to this incident," said Benson's lawyer Sam Bassett in a written statement.

Benson has been arrested three other times in the Austin area.

In June 2010, Benson was accused of punching a West 6th Street bar employee.
In May 2008, Lower Colorado River Authority officers charged Benson with boating while intoxicated at Lake Travis.
In June 2008, Benson was arrested in downtown Austin and charged with driving while intoxicated.

Benson still faces a court date next month in connection with last year's bar fight. Two different grand juries declined to indict Benson in the earlier cases.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read