Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-17-2011   #1
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 9162 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Arian Foster says he played with a Torn Meniscus

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-knee-injury/

As it turns out, Maurice Jones-Drew wasnít the only AFC South running back who gutted out a knee injury to have a solid 2010 season. Texans tailback Arian Foster, who would merely become the NFLís leading rusher in 2010 with 1,616 yards, tells Matt Crossman of Sporting News that Foster secretly played with a torn meniscus in his knee.

Per the interview that serves as the cover story of the latest edition of the magazine, Foster told no one until the season was over because he didnít want to lose his job at the teamís ball-carrying workhorse.

The injury has now been repaired, which as Crossman points out means that Foster should be faster and more precise with his cuts in 2011.

The entire interview is worth a read, since it provides an excellent look at a guy who despite his accomplishments last season remains largely anonymous. Among other things, Foster reveals that his secret weapon is his brother Abdul, who moved to Houston to train Foster after his initial NFL season as an undrafted rookie. Abdul studies Arianís game film and provides in-game advice, including a text message during a game last season that advised Arian to stop trying to break a big run.

With a healthy knee in 2010, Foster may have broken a lot more big runs. With a healthy knee in 2011, look out.
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #2
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Arian Foster says he played with a Torn Meniscus

he should be even better than last year. Wow.
Old 07-17-2011   #3
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistaRed View Post
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...d-knee-injury/

Among other things, Foster reveals that his secret weapon is his brother Abdul, who moved to Houston to train Foster after his initial NFL season as an undrafted rookie. Abdul studies Arianís game film and provides in-game advice, including a text message during a game last season that advised Arian to stop trying to break a big run.
I think it's a great idea to have someone OUTSIDE the game who is sending a player critique and advice.

Watching on TV, you can see things because of camera angles that you can't see on the sideline. Even a person up high, in a booth, cannot always see things clearly (watching on TV, they replay and show it zoomed in or slow-motion, etc.)

Arian strikes me as being a very calculating, strategic-minded person. He picked the Texans over the Saints because (a) we offered more money and (b) he calculated that we had the worst roster of RBs, which gave him the best chance at winning the starter's role.

Now we're learning that the guy has his brother watching film, watching in-game footage, and sending him advice about what things to change up or how to exploit the defense's tendencies, etc.

Very smart. If this guy stays healthy, and if he doesn't lose himself and get caught up in the hype, he could be a HOF'er for sure.
Old 07-17-2011   #4
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Phone a friend?

I'm all for Foster being the lead dog but if Ward or Tate is truly able to spell Foster, provide enough impact that maybe Foster doesn't touch the ball 400 times this year I think it will benefit both in the short and long runs. I'd be pretty upset if they Larry-Johnson-ed Foster.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #5
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Since Foster was able to perform as well as he did, he probably suffered a mild to moderate MEDIAL meniscus tear. With this type of injury (if it is isolated), the symptoms are not uncommonly mild........maybe a little swelling and accompanying soreness. This is a contrast to a LATERAL meniscus tear which can be very symptomatic and noticeably debilitating. This is because when a runner cuts, most of the stress is placed on the lateral (outer part of) knee joint and, therefore, will create more performance problems.

Most medial meniscus injuries are located in the outer rim of the meniscus cartilage......in the "red zone." Where a meniscus tear occurs is one of the most important factors in healing. Tears at the outer edge (red zone) tend to heal well because there is a good blood supply. The inner area (white zone) lacks a good blood supply and therefore does not heal well. The type of tear often determines whether a tear can be repaired.

The recovery/rehabilitation for arthroscopic meniscus repair is likewise dependent on lateral (as long as 6-8 weeks) vs. medial (as little as 2-3 weeks) damage.

The likelihood of Foster's performance rather than just his comfort level having been significantly affected last year is probably small. If he significantly "improves" this year, it is unlikely that it will have been because of the repair. Players can sometimes play for years on a torn medial meniscus. However, the smart ones will have it repaired shortly after diagnosis, in order to avoid extending the damage to the "white zone," thus possibly affecting the ultimate surgical repairability of the damage and the longevity of the player's career.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #6
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 876 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
Phone a friend?

I'm all for Foster being the lead dog but if Ward or Tate is truly able to spell Foster, provide enough impact that maybe Foster doesn't touch the ball 400 times this year I think it will benefit both in the short and long runs. I'd be pretty upset if they Larry-Johnson-ed Foster.
Foster doesn't run like Larry though. Larry took on contact, Foster is shiftier and avoids those direct hits. The Texans shouldn't be wreckless with Foster sure, but I don't think of him in the same vein as some of the power backs who flamed out quickly from overuse.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #7
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 225723 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Is it legal for a player to get in-game texts like that? Even if it is, should that be made public?

maybe they all do it, I don't know; seems unethical somehow
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-17-2011   #8
vupac1
Veteran

Rep Power: 289 vupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respectedvupac1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Is it legal for a player to get in-game texts like that? Even if it is, should that be made public?

I was never aware that this was allowed either. Now it makes me wonder if all the gambling conspiracy theorists were correct that "Vegas called in" every time a team (the Texans) inexplicably blows a game they have no business losing
vupac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #9
Cjeremy635
Overtraining

Rep Power: 31248 Cjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respectedCjeremy635 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post

I wondered the same thing. I'm sure we'll here more about this from somewhere, at some point. I would imagine that the league would frown on this type of activity. I think that game time communication should only be allowed to come from the coaches, players, or owners.
Cjeremy635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #10
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

We really want our starters not telling trainers about injuries?
Old 07-17-2011   #11
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans team doctors are probably not happy to hear this today.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #12
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I hope he didn't screw his knee up more by not getting it taken care of sooner.
I can't believe he told a reporter his brother texts him during games. Whether it's legal or not, I agree with Obsiwan that it seems unethical.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 154760 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Says too much on one topic and nothing about another. HMM.
Old 07-17-2011   #14
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Most of the time, a player who can still perform up to expectations is going to hide his injury. Not a big deal.

Players are not allowed to use Twitter during games, thanks to Ochocinco, but I think cell phones are fine.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post
Most of the time, a player who can still perform up to expectations is going to hide his injury. Not a big deal.

Players are not allowed to use Twitter during games, thanks to Ochocinco, but I think cell phones are fine.
It is a big dal and could be millions of dollars of a big deal. Doesn't matter whether it is done by others. His decision could effect the entire team and it is not his call.
Old 07-17-2011   #16
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63941 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
It is a big dal and could be millions of dollars of a big deal. Doesn't matter whether it is done by others. His decision could effect the entire team and it is not his call.
It's expected behavior. It's part of the game. Not a big deal.
Brisco_County is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 97190 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisco_County View Post

It becomes a big deal if he damaged his knee further by not getting it taken care of. It could be career ending.
Signed
Domanick Williams(Davis)
Old 07-18-2011   #18
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209676 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Foster kept it secret, he tells the Sporting News, for fear of losing his job.

"My responsibility and my job is to make sure the people in the front office don't replace me, because every single day they're looking to replace me," Foster says.

Foster, who went undrafted in 2009 and played in just six games as a rookie, had minor arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in February.

The 24-year-old, set to earn just $480,000 this year, said this week that he is not concerned with getting a new contract.

"I can't worry about that," he says. "I am tied to the Texans as an exclusive rights free agent and I know they'll take care of me."
http://content.usatoday.com/communit...orn-meniscus/1
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #19
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
It becomes a big deal if he damaged his knee further by not getting it taken care of. It could be career ending.
Signed
Domanick Williams(Davis)
Reading through the thread and when I saw Cloak's post I was going to immediately type what you did. Scary.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

I like the pic of Foster peeking at the Jumbotron.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read