Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-12-2011   #161
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak 2011 coach of year?

I think each of these coaches being mentioned definitely would be deserving of the 'prize'.

Harbaugh - Surprise to me the 49'ers are doing so well. The Niners were 6-10 last year just like the Texans, both are now 10-3. I'd think Harbaugh might get an edge simply because he's a rookie NFL head coach, while this is Kubiak's 6th season with the Texans.

McCarthy - If he goes 16-0 I think his chances skyrocket. 16 is tough to do in this league. Kudos.

Fox - If he wins out I can see some merit to it... but that would be 11 wins max. The "turn around" is staggering but they were 2-4 their first 6 games with 3 of those losses being by a combined 11 points (3,3,5). The Texans were 3-3 through their first 6 games and are on a 7 game win streak.

Kubiak - Turned a 6-10 team around to now sitting at 10-3 with just clinching the division and earning a playoff spot for the first time in team history. Many will point to Wade Phillips as the biggest reason for the turnaround and I'd say that's true. Don't forget part of a HC's job is to continually improve the team not only by players but coaches and assistants as well. Sure McNair wanted Wade but you'd be kidding yourself if you think Kubiak didn't want to hire him here. A big plus for Kubiak has been his ability to lead the team week in and week out. Foster started the season injured. Andre has been injured and missed half the season. Danieal Manning misses time. Mario gets put on Injured Reserve. Schaub gets injured and put on injured reserve, backup Leinart goes out. 3 games with our 3rd string rookie QB and we're still winning. We've overcome SO much adversity that it boggles my mind. And with 3 games left in the season, we're still very VERY much in the talks of being the 1st seed - the #1 team in the AFC. To add to it, the fanbase was calling for his head this offseason, wanting a new head coach.

This may totally be a homer pick, but that's fine. I'd vote Kubiak at this point. We've just overcome so much to be sitting where we're at right now. Our team is so resilient this year, just like Kubes.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #162
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 317617 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I was arguing for Harbaugh last week, but man, after watching this team clinch it's first division title with a rookie QB and many of our pro bowlers on the bench, I think a solid case should be made for Kubiak. That might be homerism talking, but what the heck. I think he's got a good as a shot as anyone with the exception of McCarthy at 16-0.
Old 12-12-2011   #163
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

What other HCs have their 3rd string QBs game ready just in case???
Old 12-12-2011   #164
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If Gary gets blame for Bush then he should get credit for Wade Phillips. Thread doesn't sound so stupid now does it? Not guaranteeing he will but is good to be able to have a talk about it.
Old 12-12-2011   #165
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If Gary gets blame for Bush then he should get credit for Wade Phillips. Thread doesn't sound so stupid now does it? Not guaranteeing he will but is good to be able to have a talk about it.
Sure is nice just being able to mention his name in there!

I don't think what Wade has done should detract from Kubiak as Head Coach of the Year. We don't think any less of Bill Cowher because he had Dick LeBeau as DC do we!?
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #166
texanway
Rookie

Rep Power: 72 texanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respectedtexanway is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Yates situation and how Kubiak utilized him perfectly shows he's the COY. So happy what he's doing with the situation. Could've handled it other ways but he played his cards right.
texanway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #167
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread should include a poll.

But I said Kubiak a while back and I'll stick with that.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-12-2011   #168
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleep View Post
What other HCs have their 3rd string QBs game ready just in case???
Just look at the Dolts for a prime example of what can happen when your starting QB goes down and you have nothing behind him. 0Fer13 and counting.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #169
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
Sure is nice just being able to mention his name in there!

I don't think what Wade has done should detract from Kubiak as Head Coach of the Year. We don't think any less of Bill Cowher because he had Dick LeBeau as DC do we!?
Or Sean Peyton

Top 10 defenses:
  1. Houston
  2. Pittsburgh
  3. Baltimore
  4. Jacksonville
  5. San Francisco
  6. New York Jets
  7. Cincinnati
  8. San Diego
  9. Cleveland
  10. Washington

The teams in Bold are on the outside looking in. Only Cincinnati has a reasonable chance of making the play-offs & San Diego a slim chance. Great defensive personnel (& let's be honest, most of ours were here before Wade was), great defensive coordinators...

NFL Football is the ultimate team sport. We're not 10-3 right now, because we have a great defense, we're 10-3 because we have a great team.

I don't think Kubiak has earned the CoTY, I don't think he's close to being the favorite. He should be in the conversation, but there is a lot of football left for Gary Kubiak, Jim Harbaugh, Mike McCarty, John Fox, etc... etc.. etc...
Old 12-12-2011   #170
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 185617 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Or Sean Peyton

Top 10 defenses:
  1. Houston
  2. Pittsburgh
  3. Baltimore
  4. Jacksonville
  5. San Francisco
  6. New York Jets
  7. Cincinnati
  8. San Diego
  9. Cleveland
  10. Washington

The teams in Bold are on the outside looking in. Only Cincinnati has a reasonable chance of making the play-offs & San Diego a slim chance. Great defensive personnel (& let's be honest, most of ours were here before Wade was), great defensive coordinators...

NFL Football is the ultimate team sport. We're not 10-3 right now, because we have a great defense, we're 10-3 because we have a great team.

I don't think Kubiak has earned the CoTY, I don't think he's close to being the favorite. He should be in the conversation, but there is a lot of football left for Gary Kubiak, Jim Harbaugh, Mike McCarty, John Fox, etc... etc.. etc...
To the bold - Much of the talen on the defensive side was added this past offseason.

Watt , Reed , J-Jo and Manning may as well add Barwin to that group since he played a half of football last season.

Other than that , I agree with your assessment of the COY situation - there's a long way to go.

Old 12-12-2011   #171
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
To the bold - Much of the talen on the defensive side was added this past offseason.

Watt , Reed , J-Jo and Manning may as well add Barwin to that group since he played a half of football last season.

Other than that , I agree with your assessment of the COY situation - there's a long way to go.
Not trying to downplay the addition of those 4 guys..... Watt, Reed, Jjo, & Manning.

I'm saying it's 11 guys on defense: Cody, Antonio, Barwin, Demeco, Cushing, Quin, Kjac........ all were here before Wade got here, so while Wade's 4 guys are great, the guys Kubiak brought in weren't all that bad, especially if you include Mario, Sharpton, McCain, Nolan, Demps (kinda)
Old 12-12-2011   #172
QB75
Veteran

Rep Power: 20 QB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of FamerQB75 is a Hall of Famer

My vote would go to Harbaugh for the immediate turnaround in his first season.
QB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #173
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Not trying to downplay the addition of those 4 guys..... Watt, Reed, Jjo, & Manning.

I'm saying it's 11 guys on defense: Cody, Antonio, Barwin, Demeco, Cushing, Quin, Kjac........ all were here before Wade got here, so while Wade's 4 guys are great, the guys Kubiak brought in weren't all that bad, especially if you include Mario, Sharpton, McCain, Nolan, Demps (kinda)
Oh I dont dispute that at all .... just pointing out that ~50% of the defense is new players or players at new positions.

Gotta give both Kubiak and Wade a lot of credit for a job well done thus far .... and hope we have a lot of football left to watch , all the way to Feb 5th 2012.

Old 12-12-2011   #174
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 94459 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I stand behind my vote for Harbaugh in SF. The Texans have had talented payers but lacked a talented coordinator.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #175
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I stand behind my vote for Harbaugh in SF. The Texans have had talented payers but lacked a talented coordinator.
The same can be said about SanFran. That's the same team Nolan was building, that Singletary continued building. There may be three new starters on both sides of the ball.

Last edited by thunderkyss; 12-13-2011 at 11:42 AM.
thunderkyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #176
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

If the Packers end up 19-0 then it should be McCarthy hands down.
Old 12-12-2011   #177
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
True, but Coach of the Year is a regular season award voted on prior to the playoffs.
Old 12-12-2011   #178
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 36959 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
True, but Coach of the Year is a regular season award voted on prior to the playoffs.
OOPS. Sorry.
Old 12-12-2011   #179
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 84495 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
16-0

Undefeated = COY

McCarthy
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011   #180
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I don't necessarily think this is true. We all know Wade was McNair's hire.

But I don't think that minimizes Kubiak's accomplishments. Cleveland & Jacksonville both have top 10 defenses, neither of them are in the play off hunt. Atlanta has a top 10 defense & their play-off future is in jeopardy. Cincy have top 10 defenses, & they are on the outside looking in for play-off spots.

Not to minimize Wade's contribution, but I don't think we'd have turned this thing around so thoroughly, even with Wade as the cook, if Kubiak & Smith didn't do as good a job with the groceries. Those high character guys that we see some posters complaining about.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read