Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-11-2011   #141
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak 2011 coach of year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I would appreciate that.

Not to start a new thread, but we all must realize that a division title means a contract extension for Kubiak. We're probably looking at him signed through the 2015 season. I hope McNair can get Wade signed for that length of time. Based on merit, Phillips deserves another shot as a head coach in the NFL. Based on age and image, I don't think Wade will ever be a head coach again. Not fair to Phillips, but it is good for this franchise.
While I agree, I thought someone posted a Wade quote where he said, he wasn't really interested in another head coaching gig...?

I just hope, given his age, he's grooming a successor. I mean another extension would mean he's coaching in his late sixties - nearly seventy! I would think he'd want to hang 'em up in the not-to-distant future.
Old 12-11-2011   #142
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9597 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

It won't bother me if Kubes doesn't get it this year. Kubes will get it when we are repeat Superbowl Champions!
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #143
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
I just hope, given his age, he's grooming a successor. I mean another extension would mean he's coaching in his late sixties - nearly seventy! I would think he'd want to hang 'em up in the not-to-distant future.
Why? It's not like he has to do press conferences or interviews. All he has to do is coach. Dick LeBeau is 10 years older than Wade, and still going strong.
Old 12-11-2011   #144
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Let me ask you this: do you actually believe that the Niners have had to face division foes with the caliber of defense that we have? I don't.
What does that mean? The Niners have and will face opponents that have a higher winning % than the Texans have and will face. I'm not knocking what the Texans have done. They've beaten the teams in front of them. So why knock the Niners for doing the same thing?
Old 12-11-2011   #145
TexansBull
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9597 TexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I agree, I thought someone posted a Wade quote where he said, he wasn't really interested in another head coaching gig...?

Age may not matter. I think Dick LaBeau is in his mid to late sixties and still going strong. Correct me if I am wrong. Also, how old was Parcells in Miami? And what is the name and age of Payton Manning's x-offensive coordinator that is now at the Jets? Marty Schottenheimer was up there in San Diego too wasn't he? I think 68-70 tends to be the retirement age of successful coordinators because of longevity. I would look up those guys and ages but I am on my "Pinto-like" Blackberry.

Those guys have been in a stressful job, but their bodies haven't been broken down like us in various jobs or been exposed to chemicals in the plants so they can work longer.
TexansBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #146
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
I would appreciate that.

Not to start a new thread, but we all must realize that a division title means a contract extension for Kubiak. We're probably looking at him signed through the 2015 season.
I'm not seeing that. McNair locked Kubiak through this season & next (right?) I doubt we'll see a contract extension until next season, depending on how the team plays.

With Wade, I think you may as well sign the extension now, because we've got the beginning of a dynasty & I doubt we'll drop off next year, even though our division will be tougher & we'll play tougher Divisions (NFC North & AFC East I think)

At least if I were McNair, I would wait unless we get to the AFC Championship game.
Old 12-11-2011   #147
Lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm not seeing that. McNair locked Kubiak through this season & next (right?) I doubt we'll see a contract extension until next season, depending on how the team plays.
Mcnair won't let Kubiak coach on the last year of a contract. Kubiak getting an extension is a lock.
Old 12-11-2011   #148
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Mcnair won't let Kubiak coach on the last year of a contract. Kubiak getting an extension is a lock.
I think it depends on what message McNair wants to put out.

That we're being tough & going to make Kubiak prove that it isn't a fluke.

or that he was right all along & Kubiak is no fluke.

I'm going to withdraw my previous assumption.

I think you're right & Kubiak will be extended before next season starts.
Old 12-11-2011   #149
TexansFanatic
Extremist

Rep Power: 7237 TexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansFanatic is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I'm going to withdraw my previous assumption.

I think you're right & Kubiak will be extended before next season starts.
Yep.

That's a move that has McNair written all over it.

No way he lets Kubiak coach without job security.
TexansFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #150
houstonspartan
Hall of Fame

Section: 324, row N, seats 3 and 4
Rep Power: 12708 houstonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respectedhoustonspartan is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubiak deserves to keep his job.

He does not deserve a freaking EXTENSION. No way.

This guy has been given more extensions and chances than anyone. Let him earn his next contract. Let this contract play out and then see.

Wade's going to be getting head coaching job offers up the wazoo during the off season. If he takes one of them, Kubiak is in deep doo do.

Congrats to Kubiak on this season, but, let's be clear here, people: 2011 belongs to Wade Phillips.
houstonspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #151
tielahr
Rookie

Rep Power: 427 tielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Gary Kubiak.. Coach of the year award?

What do y'all think of Kubiak's chances of making the Coach of the Year award?
He's going against the rookie, Jim Harbaugh, who is the front runner of the race for obvious reasons. But with the turn around we have had this year along with the TONS of injuries we have endured throughout the season you can make a strong case for Kubiak to be the rightful winner.

With the week 14 loss to the Cardinals the 49ers are 10-3 along with the Texans. The next 3 weeks look like this

Week 15: Steelers
Week 16: @ Seahawks
Week 17: @ Rams

If we win out and they lose against the Steelers, would that do the trick?
tielahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #152
DBCooper 
Outlaw

Rep Power: 59622 DBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respectedDBCooper is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Gary Kubiak.. Coach of the year award?

We are having this discussion today because of the son of Bum.

That is all.
Old 12-12-2011   #153
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 143551 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Kubes is in the discussion but Harbaugh (both of them really), Fox, and McCarthy are also in the mix.

You could go just about any way and make a case.

Personally, if the Packers go undefeated, I don't see how you don't give it to McCarthy.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #154
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5919 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

I see four realistic candidates: Kubiak, Harbaugh, McCarthy and Fox.

Fox wasn't even in the picture a few weeks ago and still has no chance if Denver misses the playoffs. But if they continue to win, "Tebowtime" or not, and take the division after that horrendous start he's a legitimate candidate.

McCarthy had a loaded team, but it still takes great coaching to hold a team together with NO let downs in a season, and it doesn't take much of a letdown on any given Sunday to lose in the NFL.

Harbaugh may have looked like the favorite a few weeks ago, but the 49ers seem to be weakening down the stretch and Alex Smith is again becoming what we thought he was.

If Green Bay goes undefeated, I think it goes to McCarthy -- it's hard to go against ANY coach that leads a team to an undefeated season in the NFL. If they don't, the next three weeks with Houston, San Fran and Denver may determine it.
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #155
tielahr
Rookie

Rep Power: 427 tielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respectedtielahr is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I see four realistic candidates: Kubiak, Harbaugh, McCarthy and Fox.

Fox wasn't even in the picture a few weeks ago and still has no chance if Denver misses the playoffs. But if they continue to win, "Tebowtime" or not, and take the division after that horrendous start he's a legitimate candidate.

McCarthy had a loaded team, but it still takes great coaching to hold a team together with NO let downs in a season, and it doesn't take much of a letdown on any given Sunday to lose in the NFL.

Harbaugh may have looked like the favorite a few weeks ago, but the 49ers seem to be weakening down the stretch and Alex Smith is again becoming what we thought he was.

If Green Bay goes undefeated, I think it goes to McCarthy -- it's hard to go against ANY coach that leads a team to an undefeated season in the NFL. If they don't, the next three weeks with Houston, San Fran and Denver may determine it.
Completely forgot about McCarthy
It may just be my Texans bias, but having all the injuries to our key players and STILL clinching a division title for the first time ever. That's crazy. I could be wrong but the ONLY time where we have had Aj, Matt, Mario, and Foster was the length of a quarter and a half. If the packers lost Clay Matthews, Arod, Woodson, and like Greg Jennings and still kept winning, that'd be impressive. But what the Texans have done is something special.
tielahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #156
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 156181 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Individual awards for coaches and players are all fine, and I hope they get a lot of them. But winning the division, winning an AFC Conferance title and a Super Bowl is better. I think Kubiak at least deserves to be mentioned when talking about coach of the year, but I don't see him winning it unless he wins the super bowl. Which would be nice.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #157
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

How could it not be Kubiak? Who could overcome THIS MUCH? This is honestly one of the better coaching jobs I have ever seen.
Old 12-12-2011   #158
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

My Ballot

#1 McCarthy - undefeated, 'nuff said.
#2 Kubiak - Looking at 13-3 without Schaub, AJ or Mario
#3 Harbaugh West - Great turnaround story, falling off in the home stretch
#4 Harbough East - Talented team that has a tendency to CHOKE against bad teams on the road

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #159
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
My Ballot

#1 McCarthy - undefeated, 'nuff said.
#2 Kubiak - Looking at 13-3 without Schaub, AJ or Mario
#3 Harbaugh West - Great turnaround story, falling off in the home stretch
#4 Harbough East - Talented team that has a tendency to CHOKE against bad teams on the road
I pretty much agree with this ..... but if GB loses a game .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011   #160
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23247 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

He's definitely in the running and if he can finish 13-3 it would be hard to vote against him.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read