Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 12-07-2011   #121
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak 2011 coach of year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So, they fired their GM & got a new guy at the recommendation of Jim Harbaugh?

They turned over close to 50% of the roster?

They went from being the 30th ranked offense & the 30th ranked defense to top 10 on both counts?

Because that's where the Texans were.
And it only took about 6 years and the best DC in the NFL to do so.
Old 12-07-2011   #122
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Wow just wow. You just can't ever take those homer glasses off for even a second. 6 years compared to 1 and a better record with a division clinched. No matter what the differences were when each coach was hired that is awesome. Heck I don't even care for Harbaugh but at least I can see that he has done a fantastic job there. If Kubiak had taken over the 49ers I really don't think they would be 12 and 1 with a division title clinched already. What about you TK?
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #123
SF49erFaithful
Crabtree FTW

Rep Power: 41 SF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respectedSF49erFaithful is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sounds a little contradictory to me. First, no one knows the coach of the Super Bowl Champs who happen to be undefeated after week 12. Really?

Second, lucky that he inherited Rogers? Then you go on & drag the Chargers through the mud? That's Phillip Rivers with as talented a group of receivers & defense as what they have in GB. GB is knocking down all comers, NO, NYG, Chicago, Atlanta (those are all the NFC Contenders minus SF).

That's coaching. San Diego can't win in the AFC West & GB is taking names in the NFC North & you don't see the value of good coaching?
You wanna go down that road? Please, be my guest. Because by your logic, Jim Caldwell is a great HC. He lead the Colts to a 13-0 record before resting his starters and an appearance to the Super Bowl. That must be because the Colts needed him in addition to Peyton Manning to get that far, right? Oh wait, that's right, their 0-12 now without him. As an AFC South fan, I thought you'd pick up on that one. The reason the Chargers aren't winning is because Phillip Rivers isn't NEAR the QB Manning/Rogers are, AND Norv Turner is an awful HC.

But to be fair, I didn't give McCarthy nearly enough credit, I concede that much. After giving myself a refresher course, and by some of the observations pointed out on the previous page, he had achieved some things that slipped my memory. Still, he had the luxury of inheriting TWO of the greatest QBs of all time. But I can't ignore the possibility that AR's gifted passing is a product of his tutelage, and that Favre did have an incredible year under him in 07. And GB did go 4-12 the year before, but for a long stretch ending just the year before that, were perennial playoffs contenders. The point being it wasn't a bad team. Although to say the team is improved now with better depth is an understatement. A 12-0 start following a SB win is impressive, period. Still, McCarthy won't get the award, I don't think. I think that is AR's team...obviously not even close to the degree of PM and the Colts though. Plus, 16-0 isn't as special as it used to be, since BB accomplished that milestone so recently. But if he does go the full 19-0 I wouldn't be surprised to see him get it, since that hasn't happened before.

Quote:
Sounds like homers come in all shapes, sizes, & logos.
So a Packer's fan would be a homer by your criteria if he stated that Green Bay was the best team in the league? Because casual fans and NFL "experts" alike are in almost complete agreement that Harbaugh is a virtual lock, just as they believe GB to be the team to beat.
Old 12-07-2011   #124
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 201178 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

When Kubiak wins the super bowl this year with all the injuries he's delt with, and with Yates or (God forbid) one of those other two guys, then I can see him in the discussion. But not now, and not until then. Right now I'd vote for Harbaugh before Mcarthy.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011   #125
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Wow just wow. You just can't ever take those homer glasses off for even a second. 6 years compared to 1 and a better record with a division clinched. No matter what the differences were when each coach was hired that is awesome. Heck I don't even care for Harbaugh but at least I can see that he has done a fantastic job there. If Kubiak had taken over the 49ers I really don't think they would be 12 and 1 with a division title clinched already. What about you TK?
That's not the point.

I'm fine with Harbaugh getting coach of the year & I don't think Kubiak deserves to be in the conversation, read my posts in this thread, I said exactly that.

It's that comment, "He's done something Kubiak could never have done." We don't know that.

Turning a team completely around in one year? That's not what happened in San Francisco. That was the 13th ranked defense, not the 30th like Kubiak took over.

That's a young team, with young talent, not at all like what Kubiak took over.

It's not that I think Kubiak is a great coach or anything like that. But that one statement of yours, the part I quoted, is way off base imo.

If Kubiak took over that team with the schedule they played.... I think it's possible. This team has played as hard as they could have I think, since Kubiak has been here. They've never quit on him as far as I can tell.

But Kubiak didn't take over that team, so we don't know.
Old 12-07-2011   #126
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

McCarthy or Harbaugh deserve it this year hands down. End thread.
Old 12-08-2011   #127
spurstexanstros
Texans Rising

Rep Power: 2316 spurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respectedspurstexanstros is a quality contributor and well respected

I think Kubiak deserves it because of all the adversity this team has faced this year. Marion (gone) Foster out 2 to 3 weeks AJ misssed 6 games (so far), not only did he lose Mat Shcaub for the year, but his back up as well and now they are rollin in to stretch run with 5th round rookie....If that doesnt scream coach of the year I dont know what does.
spurstexanstros is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 12-08-2011   #128
txns4lf
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
McCarthy or Harbaugh deserve it this year hands down. End thread.
i agree with this...but i think harbayugh may deserve it a little more given his circumstances...
txns4lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #129
ziggy29
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6653 ziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respectedziggy29 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurstexanstros View Post
....If that doesnt scream coach of the year I dont know what does.
Maybe what Harbaugh has done in San Fran? Nothing from the job Kubes has done this year, but if the season ended today Harbaugh would be a stone cold lock. A lot of people predicted the Texans would make the playoffs even before Peyton went down. No one expected the 49ers to be 10-2 with the fewest points allowed in the NFL (by a wide margin).
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #130
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by txns4lf View Post
i agree with this...but i think harbayugh may deserve it a little more given his circumstances...
And what team does this mystery coach, coach??

Jeeze.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011   #131
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 111736 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

It's been a great ride so far but there are still 4 games to go so.....

let's not start mucking each other's wrist quite yet. (TBS version)

Old 12-10-2011   #132
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

76Texans posted a link to an article on NFL.com, I didn't think much about the article itself, but two comments posted afterwards got me thinking.

Quote:
I think the NFL analysts should stop surround teams with drama like the colts, falcons, the bears because they suck and stop giving the 49ers and packers all the "unstoppable" title Because we all know who they both play, they have easy schedules like look what happen to the 49ers when they played baltimore, they got whooped! The packers havnt played a top 10 defense team. UNLIKE the Texans now they have played 7 top 10 defenses and lost only against the ravens they will soon play their 8th TOP 10 defense team this coming up sunday. So i think hands down the Texans can beat the "Unstoppable" Green Bay Packers in a heart beat because the packers cant handle Foster and Tate or the Number 1 underrated defense in the NFL. Like they say Offense wins games Defense wins championships so in February we'll see who is the Champion.
Quote:
i think its funny with the colts they lose one player peyton manning yes hes good but they still got their defense and everybody was all freaking out with the colts 0-12 the chicago bears lose jay cutler then lose matt forte everybody started freaking out about them 7-5 the texans lost mario williams for the season lost arian foster for a couple games lost andre johnson for 6 games and he comes back and injures his other hamstring and might be out a couple weeks then they lose daniel manning foe a few games hes a safety they lose there QBS matt shaub and matt lineart for who knows how long and then lose are punter brett hartman and aint nobody freaking out with the texans nobodys talking about them and how they cant lose it just shows nobody likes the texans yet the only good thing i noticed is that the texans now QB is t.j. yates thankfully his name dont start with matt and the texans are 9-3
I'm changing my vote. Gary Kubiak should be Coach-of-the-Year.
Old 12-11-2011   #133
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
Harbaugh lucked in to what Singletary had started building the two years before. When Singletary sat Vernon Davis down after seeing him slack off in a game, that set the tone for the Niners you see today. And as for building a team, the current Niner team you see today has been in the works since they picked Alex Smith and Frank Gore in 2005 and Vernon Davis in 2006 and Patrick Willis in 2007 (0r 2008?)... anyway, that team has been stacking up 1st round picks since before Kubiak got to Houston.

And if you just want to compare improvement from last year to this, the I submit Kubiak has done a better job. Both teams were 6-10 last year and are leading their divisions this year. So that's a wash. Wait... no it isn't. There's no team in the NFC West that has better than a 5-7 record. At least we go against the Titans who are still in the playoff hunt.

I give the Niners one, maybe two, quality wins this year. The first one was when they beat the Lions when both teams were 5-0. The second one was when the defense shut down the Giants' attempt at a comeback a couple of weeks ago. And since the Lions have only two wins since their fast start and are now 7-5 and the schizo Giants are 6-6, those wins aren't all that impressive when you look closer.

I said it before and I'll say it again:
The reigning champs always get everyone's best shot. That's always the case. Every team wants to see how they do against the best. You all know this. And it is doubly the case when the reigning champs are undefeated.

If the Pack finishes 16-0, McCarthy gets CotY. Harbaugh and Fox and Kubiak and maybe Marvin Lewis will be in the discussion but McCarthy will win.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011   #134
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Harbaugh took over a solid team with talent in a weak division. I don't see a lot of huge wins on thier schedule so far. Not saying Kubes deserves it but Harbaugh is a flash in the pan.
Old 12-11-2011   #135
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
76Texans posted a link to an article on NFL.com
Those quotes were from the comment section. Not the actual article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Harbaugh lucked in to what Singletary had started building...
And Kubiak lucked into Wade Phillips.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Harbaugh took over a solid team with talent in a weak division. I don't see a lot of huge wins on thier schedule so far. Not saying Kubes deserves it but Harbaugh is a flash in the pan.
Why do we have to knockdown the accomplishments of other coaches? Harbaugh took over a franchise that hadn't won in 9 years. Without the benefit of minicamps and OTAs to install his system. And turned the Niners into big winners. Something many said was impossible. It didn't take him 6 years. Jim Harbaugh has had one of the more special coaching seasons in recent memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Actually, if Kubiak no longer has to say "It's on me", I'll be satisfied.
After 5-3/4 years, I'm satisfied. And yes, Kubiak deserves more consideration due to the excessive injuries to key players. In a normal season, Kubiak would probably win. This isn't a normal season.
Old 12-11-2011   #136
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 164018 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

And Kubiak lucked into Wade Phillips.
McNair fired Bush and went for an ungrade. That's not luck. That was a conscious decision. By most accounts it wasn't Kubiak's decision it was McNair. No CotY points for Kubiak on that hire.

Quote:
Why do we have to knockdown the accomplishments of other coaches? Harbaugh took over a franchise that hadn't won in 9 years. Without the benefit of minicamps and OTAs to install his system. And turned the Niners into big winners. Something many said was impossible. It didn't take him 6 years. Jim Harbaugh has had one of the more special coaching seasons in recent memory.
Why do we overblow what should have been the obvious outcome if you did a little homework and did a talent comparison up & down that division? Who in the NFC West has the talent, top to bottom, that the Niners have amassed since 2005?
Now, having said that, the one thing I will give Harbaugh credit for is the transformaton of Alex Smith. He has turned Smith from "bust" into a top ten QB. Smith had been under defensive minded coaches his whole career and we know how that works out don't we? Now that Alex Smith finally got with a coach that understands QBs, he is doing very well. I would give Harbaugh CotY consideration for that accomplishment alone. Because that's all coaching.
But no CotY points for running a talent-laden team thru a weak schedule and an even weaker division.

I'm tellin' ya guys. Coach of the Year is McCarthy's to lose.
Old 12-11-2011   #137
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Why do we overblow what should have been the obvious outcome if you did a little homework and did a talent comparison up & down that division?
Arizona doesn't have talent (Fitzgerald, Wilson, Dockett)? I don't see the big talent disparity there with the Niners. The Niners are winning because they do the little things. Take care of the ball. Create turnovers. Excel on special teams. That's coaching. Harbaugh has turned the mentality of this franchise around. In 5 months time.

BTW, the Texans currently play in the league's weakest division ( I did my homework). The AFC South has a worse collective record than both the NFC or AFC South.
Old 12-11-2011   #138
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
I thought I made that clear.
Quote:
76Texans posted a link to an article on NFL.com, I didn't think much about the article itself, but two comments posted afterwards got me thinking.
Next time I'll type slower for you.
Old 12-11-2011   #139
Lucky

Quote:
Next time I'll type slower for you.
I would appreciate that.

Not to start a new thread, but we all must realize that a division title means a contract extension for Kubiak. We're probably looking at him signed through the 2015 season. I hope McNair can get Wade signed for that length of time. Based on merit, Phillips deserves another shot as a head coach in the NFL. Based on age and image, I don't think Wade will ever be a head coach again. Not fair to Phillips, but it is good for this franchise.
Old 12-11-2011   #140
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:
Arizona doesn't have talent (Fitzgerald, Wilson, Dockett)? I don't see the big talent disparity there with the Niners. The Niners are winning because they do the little things. Take care of the ball. Create turnovers. Excel on special teams. That's coaching. Harbaugh has turned the mentality of this franchise around. In 5 months time.

BTW, the Texans currently play in the league's weakest division ( I did my homework). The AFC South has a worse collective record than both the NFC or AFC South.
Arizona would have been the Niners only real competition if Kolb had clicked with his receivers sooner... And they don't have nearly the caliber of defense that the Niners do. Three teams in our division have top ten defenses. Outside of the Niners - who are #1 - none of the NFCW teams have a defense in the top half of the league. I'll grant you, record-wise, the AFCS can be viewed as the worse division. We can thank the Oh-fer Colts for that. Let me ask you this: do you actually believe that the Niners have had to face division foes with the caliber of defense that we have? I don't.

And I still say CotY is McCarthy's to lose so this whole Harbaugh vs. Kubiak this is an academic exercise anyway.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read