Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-18-2011   #41
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak 2011 coach of year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
The only way Kubiak wins COTY is if the Texans have a truly spectacular season with at least 12 wins, and all the other coaches **** the bed.
Yeah, you don't get coach of the year because you sucked every other year and then all of a sudden have a good year when you should have been fired in the first place. Not gonna happen.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #42
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah, you don't get coach of the year because you sucked every other year and then all of a sudden have a good year when you should have been fired in the first place. Not gonna happen.
Sure you do. The COY is only on that year's performance. Previous years performance are irrelevant.

Signed,
Dick Jauron (2001)
Dom Capers (1996)
Ray Rhodes (1995)
Lindy Infante (1990)
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #43
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
Sure you do. The COY is only on that year's performance. Previous years performance are irrelevant.

Signed,
Dick Jauron (2001)
Dom Capers (1996)
Ray Rhodes (1995)
Lindy Infante (1990)
I'd have to have seen how many previous years of suckage all these guys had and see how it compared to Kubiak's tenure here to see how legit these examples are. I don't think going back 20 years in a different era of the NFL is a comparable example to use either.

He won't be coach of the year. You can bet the bank on that.
Old 07-18-2011   #44
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 146812 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I strongly doubt he'll be coach of the year.

But stranger things have happened.
Old 07-18-2011   #45
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I'd have to have seen how many previous years of suckage all these guys had and see how it compared to Kubiak's tenure here to see how legit these examples are. I don't think going back 20 years in a different era of the NFL is a comparable example to use either.

If he goes 12- 4 and Texans win first round they attend in playoffs but lose in the next why do you think he would not? Don't just say he won't or Texans will not win 12 because that would become yes he will, no he won't debate.
Old 07-18-2011   #46
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 213437 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

As a Texans fan, I hope you're right, badboy! Nothing would make me happier, because that means a decade of mediocre is behind us and we are actually talking about success around these parts!

As an NFL fan, though, I honestly don't see it happening this year. Kubiak is a great OC, but unfortunately, he's our HC. He still seems to be making bad game management decisions after 5 years on the job. And to be quite honest, I'm just not convinced that he's a leader of men that will get them to run through walls for him.

Reminds me of this quote:

"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate."
~ Vince Lombardi

I can only hope that Kubiak has finally figured out how to get inside our players and motivate them accordingly. This will be key to him becoming the 2011 coach of the year.
Old 07-18-2011   #47
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If he goes 12- 4 and Texans win first round they attend in playoffs but lose in the next why do you think he would not? Don't just say he won't or Texans will not win 12 because that would become yes he will, no he won't debate.
Going 12-4 doesn't all of a sudden make you HC of the year. I've got news for ya, there will be other HC's that go 14-2 and about 3 others who do 12-4 or better possibly. Kubiak becoming coach of the year would probably be the worst thing that could happen in my eyes any way, because Bob would extend him and we'd be in for another 4 years of failures and you guys that like to flip flop every season on whether or not you think he's a good coach would all of a sudden act like he's some god because he finally took this team to the playoffs and he'd be thought of as this great coach again in this city when he never earned that reputation in his first place when people were heralding him as this savior of the Texans organization.

I don't expect the Texans to do anything special this season any way, and I just hope that it's bad enough in Mcnair's eyes to get rid of him finally. If he finally had a decent enough season to make the playoffs this year and got extended again that would just further the dark hole of suckage with this organization and will set us back another decade possibly. Kubiak and Wade Phillips together as coaches is not a good combination at all in my eyes and I want it broken up sooner than later.
Sponsored links
Old 07-18-2011   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
As a Texans fan, I hope you're right, badboy! Nothing would make me happier, because that means a decade of mediocre is behind us and we are actually talking about success around these parts!

As an NFL fan, though, I honestly don't see it happening this year. Kubiak is a great OC, but unfortunately, he's our HC. He still seems to be making bad game management decisions after 5 years on the job. And to be quite honest, I'm just not convinced that he's a leader of men that will get them to run through walls for him.

Reminds me of this quote:

"Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate."
~ Vince Lombardi

I can only hope that Kubiak has finally figured out how to get inside our players and motivate them accordingly. This will be key to him becoming the 2011 coach of the year.
Oh, I agree. I don't think I have offered my opinion here just asked what others thought and why. If Wade's defense leads to more wins, why would not the head coach get credit for the season, just like other teams?

I really was down on Gary last season and he needs to have a huge year to keep him as HC imo.
Old 07-18-2011   #49
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Don't y'all already know by now that Kubiak sucks?
Old 07-18-2011   #50
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSlaton20 View Post
Don't y'all already know by now that Kubiak sucks?
I keep wondering that myself. He isn't even supposed to be coaching here anymore any way. The only reason why he is because we have the nicest owner in the league that feels firing someone is to tramatic for him and being being average is good enough as long as you're selling tickets. That's where Mcnair sets the bar.
Old 07-18-2011   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Going 12-4 doesn't all of a sudden make you HC of the year. I've got news for ya, there will be other HC's that go 14-2 and about 3 others who do 12-4 or better possibly. Kubiak becoming coach of the year would probably be the worst thing that could happen in my eyes any way, because Bob would extend him and we'd be in for another 4 years of failures and you guys that like to flip flop every season on whether or not you think he's a good coach would all of a sudden act like he's some god because he finally took this team to the playoffs and he'd be thought of as this great coach again in this city when he never earned that reputation in his first place when people were heralding him as this savior of the Texans organization.

I don't expect the Texans to do anything special this season any way, and I just hope that it's bad enough in Mcnair's eyes to get rid of him finally. If he finally had a decent enough season to make the playoffs this year and got extended again that would just further the dark hole of suckage with this organization. Kubiak and Wade Phillips together as coaches is not a good combination at all in my eyes and I want it broken up sooner than later.
Bolded is recognised but will these coaches have a record the year before of 6-10? I doubt it. I like Kubiak and Phillips but never fillped flopped on Kubiak. I defended him until last season and called him out on this board to step up and be a coach making good decisions. I feel like I always give fair reviews of all players and management in all sports. He does not have to be given another extension as I think he was extended two more years after this last one of his old deal. In other words 3 more seasons left. If he goes 12-4, McNair would be a fool to extend him; give him at minimum another year (2nd year on this deal and first of his two year extension and see hw he does in 2012.
Old 07-18-2011   #52
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Bolded is recognised but will these coaches have a record the year before of 6-10? I doubt it. I like Kubiak and Phillips but never fillped flopped on Kubiak. I defended him until last season and called him out on this board to step up and be a coach making good decisions. I feel like I always give fair reviews of all players and management in all sports. He does not have to be given another extension as I think he was extended two more years after this last one of his old deal. In other words 3 more seasons left. If he goes 12-4, McNair would be a fool to extend him; give him at minimum another year (2nd year on this deal and first of his two year extension and see hw he does in 2012.
Dude, if we went 12-4 and made the playoffs, you'd see confetti at Reliant and that would be the equivalent to winning the SB at this point. This city simply doesn't have high expectations anymore and average is okay. I don't know if it's because of Bud taking his team years ago or if it's because of the Capers era or both, but fans have dropped their standards big time. When we went 9-7 all because the Pats took their starters out everyone acted like we had this great season completely forgetting the 3 games that Kubiak completely destroyed with his bad decisions at the end of games that kept this team out of the playoffs. The Texans went 9-7 despite Kubiak. Not because of him. But the fans celebrated as if we went to the 2nd round of the playoffs that year and that was year 4 of no playoffs for Kubiak. Most HC's are gone by year 3 if they're not on the way up and certainly are by year 4. We're headed into year 6 with this guy all because of the attendance at games being high and because Kubiak is that "nice guy" type of coach that Mcnair likes that won't be controversial.

The reality is that he should not be working here right now. If he has a great season this year record wise, he'll get at least a 3 year extension and you can forget about Kubiak being fired here no matter how bad this team could be after a season like that. Sorry, but I'd rather get one more bad season over with now, in hopes that we can finally get a guy in here that can win consistently.
Old 07-18-2011   #53
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 80545 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Dude, if we went 12-4 and made the playoffs, you'd see confetti at Reliant and that would be the equivalent to winning the SB at this point. This city simply doesn't have high expectations anymore and average is okay.
Alright now, you've taken this a bit too far.

12-4 isn't "average" anywhere in the NFL. There has never been a team to my recollection that went 12-4 and didn't make the playoffs.
Old 07-18-2011   #54
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by disaacks3 View Post
Alright now, you've taken this a bit too far.

12-4 isn't "average" anywhere in the NFL. There has never been a team to my recollection that went 12-4 and didn't make the playoffs.
Where did I ever say that 12-4 was an average record? I didn't suggest that.

I was talking about the fact that if the Texans did that in the regular season, that would be the equivalent to them winning a SB here. What happened in the playoffs after that wouldn't mean a thing, but just that we got there and even if we got smoked and Kubiak had a bunch of bad decisions on game day, his reputation would automatically go back to being this savior of Houston football and this great HC that needs just a few more years of learning on the job. He should have been fired two years ago when they had that 9-7 season, and instead of getting fired there was confetti thrown and people acted like it was a reason to celebrate. The standards for success here are extremely low for a sports city this big. I don't like that being a fact, but it's true. In my opinion any way.
Old 07-18-2011   #55
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
While I agree that there is no way in hell that Kubiak wins COTY, I don't think that your previous track record has much affect on the voting (not saying it doesn't have any affect).
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #56
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19125 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think if the Texans go 12-4, win the division and advance to our first ever playoffs that Kubiak will be in the running to get coach of the year and could easily win it. He'd probably be the front runner, barring a coach taking his 16-0 or a 'young' coach taking his team to the Super Bowl.

Marvin Lewis won it in '09 with an 10-6 record and a loss in the wildcard game. His previous 3 seasons they went 4-11, 7-9, and 8-8.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #57
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I think if the Texans go 12-4, win the division and advance to our first ever playoffs that Kubiak will be in the running to get coach of the year and could easily win it. He'd probably be the front runner, barring a coach taking his 16-0 or a 'young' coach taking his team to the Super Bowl.

Marvin Lewis won it in '09 with an 10-6 record and a loss in the wildcard game. His previous 3 seasons they went 4-11, 7-9, and 8-8.
You and a number of other posters are forgetting that the votes are cast before the playoffs. Playoff berth would be in consideration. Playoff performance is not.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011   #58
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Quote:

This post right here would probably be the best counter argument to what I have previously stated, and this is probably not near as close to impossible as I thought. Great post Ole Miss Texan.
Old 07-18-2011   #59
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Quote:
This post right here would probably be the best counter argument to what I have previously stated, and this is probably not near as close to impossible as I thought. Great post Ole Miss Texan.
Dude.

Did you read my post earlier?

Did you see the Signees at the end? Dick Jauron, Dom Capers, Ray Rhodes, etc...

All of them had worse track records than Marvin Lewis... hell, they all had worse track records than Kubiak. And all of them won the Coach of the Year on their first good season.
Old 07-19-2011   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

IF we make it through the season relatively healthy, I doubt he'll get a mention. That's what is expected.

If his mother died or something happened team wise, losing many key players, or something along those lines & the Texans manage to go 12-4.....

Then he'll be considered.

But if Peyton Manning has a season ending groin injury in the preseason & Chris Johnson develops fumblitis.... we could go 14-2 & Kubiak won't get any extra credit for doing it.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read