Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2011   #1
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Reed/harris learning curve.

considering all the time off, kinda scary they might have a harder time than KJ
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #2
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Reed/harris learning curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
Guh....

Here we go...
Old 07-15-2011   #3
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexanator View Post
they would really have to try hard to be that bad
EllisUnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #4
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm very optimistic, first about Brandon Harris whom I watched at Miami & was my corner pre-draft. I was amazed that Smith traded back into 2nd and got him as this will be a steal as a late two. He is the prototypical "cover or man to man" corner we need. Only disappointment was he measured 5'9 1/2" rather than 5'11" he was listed at in college. I'll be shocked if he is not a starter by mid season.

2nd, Rashad "Roc" Carmichael is right close to Harris imo. AFter he ran a slow 40 @ combine I moved him off my board but had him rated a high 3rd round until then. I was unaware until after Texans got him that he ran a good 40 at his college pro day. This kid may need more time to translate into NFL but should be good to go by year two especially if he plays behind Asomugha.

Kareem Jackson. Most regulars to MB know I wrote a scathing thread when Jackson was selected. Everyone was saying how Alabama ran a "pro style" defense but neglected to point out KJ was a "bump & run" corner. It takes a spectacular player to do this. Refer to Aso and Deon Sanders. Good news is while KJ can not be a cover type CB but can be a good & productive #2 corner if the new DB coach is as good as I hope. My concern is Jackson's psyche. It should be destroyed after the year he had. Nothing indicates that happened. Best thing for KJ is if we sign a solid vet CB that he can play behind and learn from.

All eyes will be on our backfield for different reason this season.
Old 07-15-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Brooks Reed should be a very good if not great LB in our new defense. I never mocked him for Texans as I thought he would be gone before our pick. Our 2011 draft may turn out to be our best ever. I am very interested in our new QB. Wasn't my guy but I quickly got on board.
Old 07-16-2011   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

It's important to know that Reed most likely will be behind Barwin.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011   #7
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 14238 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
It's important to know that Reed most likely will be behind Barwin.
not sure about that considering barwin coming off injury, wouldn't think new staff has loyalty to vets
ATXtexanfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2011   #8
Second Honeymoon
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3659 Second Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respectedSecond Honeymoon is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to Second Honeymoon Send a message via Yahoo to Second Honeymoon

Barwin should be fine. Winston said he has been looking really good and should help the defense turn things around.
Old 07-16-2011   #9
badboy
Site Contributor

Anyone think Okoye could play inside LB if Ryans can't be 90%?
Old 07-17-2011   #10
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
No way.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #11
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Is that a joke?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #12
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Maybe if he lost 40 pounds...........and didn't suck at football.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Sounds crazy but popped in my mind as we really don't have someone behind Ryans. Okoye would only have to close hole to RB & pile up the middle sort of like one of Phillips "light" NTs. He would not have much ground to cover in the 3-4.
Old 07-17-2011   #14
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sounds crazy
I agree. Has anyone ever switched from DT to LB?
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #15
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sounds crazy but popped in my mind as we really don't have someone behind Ryans. Okoye would only have to close hole to RB & pile up the middle sort of like one of Phillips "light" NTs. He would not have much ground to cover in the 3-4.
You're not liking Sharpton and Bentley? I think this will be a good spot for Sharpton.

Not really feeling the Okoye LB love, though.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #16
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 279523 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brooks Reed should be a very good if not great LB in our new defense. I never mocked him for Texans as I thought he would be gone before our pick. Our 2011 draft may turn out to be our best ever. I am very interested in our new QB. Wasn't my guy but I quickly got on board.
I expected Reed to go top of the first and I expected him to go to the Patriots.

I was ecstatic we got him.
The Pencil Neck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post
You're not liking Sharpton and Bentley? I think this will be a good spot for Sharpton.

Not really feeling the Okoye LB love, though.
I was a Bentley fan until he took over MLB for Ryans and looked like curddled milk. I cannot believe he has not been cut. Sharpton? Meh, he should be better in a 3-4 with another LB to help out and he is only a soph so...

I understand about Okoye and remember not once did I mention he was still young.
Old 07-17-2011   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I agree. Has anyone ever switched from DT to LB?
Teddy Brushci (sp) played DL in college but was an ILB in the NFL.

Overall, fans spend too much time with finding exceptions to rules. For the most part, when teams draft they have more than a general position in mind, but they know that a guy will be a SLB, FS, LG, RT, Slot WR, etc.
Old 07-17-2011   #19
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87776 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Teddy Brushci (sp) played DL in college but was an ILB in college.

Overall, fans spend too much time with finding exceptions to rules. For the most part, when teams draft they have more than a general position in mind, but they know that a guy will be a SLB, FS, LG, RT, Slot WR, etc.
Yep

But Brushci is a fooball 1st professional.

Football ranks somewhere in the top 10 of OkOyes priorities.

OkOye making the swicth successfully isn't going to happen.

Trading OkOye to the Broncos and Slaton to the Rams for late rd picks is the most we can hope for.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
they would really have to try hard to be that bad
The Texans DO like high effort players.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read