Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2011   #1
mugrakers
Rookie

Rep Power: 137 mugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respectedmugrakers is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Resign Leach or Elite WR 2?

So the basic Idea is that if we can only afford to resign Leach or sign a bonafide number 2 receiver. Someone like Santonio Holmes to play opposite AJ. Which way would you go?
mugrakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #2
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 24956 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Resign Leach or Elite WR 2?

wr #2, full back is a dinosaur, to be honest bring in a few wrs
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #3
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugrakers View Post
So the basic Idea is that if we can only afford to resign Leach or sign a bonafide number 2 receiver. Someone like Santonio Holmes to play opposite AJ. Which way would you go?
You're gonna have to do better than Santonio Holmes if you want a bona fide #2 WR. Holmes wouldn't be rd on our depth chart and maybe not even 4th. Now if it came down to a healthy Steve Breaston or Leach, I might pause. Then I would sign Leach and hope like hell Dorin Dickerson puts it together this year.
Old 07-15-2011   #4
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

You know I wonder if the fact that we slash our 1st round pick price in half will allow us to spend that extra money on Leach and still have the same flexibility as we always would have any other year...
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #5
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
You're gonna have to do better than Santonio Holmes if you want a bona fide #2 WR. Holmes wouldn't be rd on our depth chart and maybe not even 4th. Now if it came down to a healthy Steve Breaston or Leach, I might pause. Then I would sign Leach and hope like hell Dorin Dickerson puts it together this year.
Santonio Holmes is a number 1 Wr for at least 12-15 teams in the NFL. He is not coming here because someone is going to pay him a lot of money to be their top dog. The other reason he won't be here that Holmes is not a good guy. Santonio Holmes as a number 2 WR makes this unit top 5, if not the top duo in the NFL.
Old 07-15-2011   #6
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 4489 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

holmes v. leach at same price??? id take holmes.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #7
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Leach!! Without him Foster is toast! JMO! We need our running game to STAY strong, not get weak AGAIN!!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2011   #8
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

The free agent WR market doesn't excite me. I'd rather make go with what we have, see what Dickerson has to offer, and next year spend a 1st round pick on a WR when there's like 7-8 1st round caliber studs.

Re-sign Leach and put to bed any worries of the running game dropping off.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Santonio Holmes a #1 receiver on how many teams? Put down the and step away from the keyboard. The dude has had one good year and the rest are pretty pedestrian. Leach brings more to the table IMO.
I'd rather not find out if one of our reserve TE's cab play FB. I KNOW Leach can and he's one of the best at it.
Old 07-15-2011   #10
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 56302 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Leach. Down field blocking is awesome.

Don't fall for the glitz. Stay in the trenches.
Old 07-15-2011   #11
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Leach!! Without him Foster is toast! JMO! We need our running game to STAY strong, not get weak AGAIN!!!
Never, ever overpay for a FB... Do I think Vonta is a beast? YES! Do I love watching Vonta absolutely blow people up? YES!!! That said, FB is a position that it's a bad, bad move to overpay for...
Old 07-15-2011   #12
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Breaston over Holmes?

I disagree.....big time. I would do it for Holmes.
Old 07-15-2011   #13
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 20242 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5kwatts View Post
The free agent WR market doesn't excite me. I'd rather make go with what we have, see what Dickerson has to offer, and next year spend a 1st round pick on a WR when there's like 7-8 1st round caliber studs.

Re-sign Leach and put to bed any worries of the running game dropping off.
Yeah, not to mention we are going to be at the end of the first round next year too...I mean, deep playoff runs do that to you...
Old 07-15-2011   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Santonio Holmes a #1 receiver on how many teams? Put down the and step away from the keyboard. The dude has had one good year and the rest are pretty pedestrian. Leach brings more to the table IMO.
I'd rather not find out if one of our reserve TE's cab play FB. I KNOW Leach can and he's one of the best at it.
Whether you think it or not

1) His peers think he is top 100 player in the league

http://top100.nfl.com/

2) He will sign for Number 1 money in the NFL

See me in a couple of weeks

3) I will take his 9/131 game winning Superbowl performance and take my chances over Walter and Jacoby

I have already outlined why he won't be a Texan, and it is not because of his pure skill and talent.
Old 07-15-2011   #15
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 198627 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Leach hands down. We have #1 RB with a probowl blocker devastating people in front of him; why break that up? It can be improved but I am ok with AJ/Walter and probably JJ. Throw in OD and Dreesen with Tate and Foster catching out of back field....
Old 07-15-2011   #16
CharloTex
All Pro

Section: Poolside
Rep Power: 23819 CharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respectedCharloTex is a quality contributor and well respected

How about FA Mike Sims-Walker? He might be had for a reasonable fee and he can stretch the field opposite AJ. Walter could be the blocking/slot/possession receiver. That's perfect in my eye.
CharloTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #17
VTexan
The Realist

Rep Power: 15483 VTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedVTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd take a flyer on Sidney Rice. Could pick him up on the cheap and has huge potential as stretching the field for us.
VTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Whether you think it or not

1) His peers think he is top 100 player in the league

http://top100.nfl.com/

2) He will sign for Number 1 money in the NFL

See me in a couple of weeks

3) I will take his 9/131 game winning Superbowl performance and take my chances over Walter and Jacoby

I have already outlined why he won't be a Texan, and it is not because of his pure skill and talent.
Are you seriously using the Top 100 silliness and a good SB performance to justify saying Holmes is #1 receiver material? That's funny. The Top 100 nonsense is no more accurate than fan voting for evaluating talent. Holmes has had some good games, but so has just about every other player in the NFL. He might sign for #1 money, but that doesn't always equal out to #1 talent or production. Just look at the many FA busts out there if you need further proof.
Old 07-15-2011   #19
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 66422 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Depends on the WR. Vincent Jackson over Sidney Rice. Leach over rest of field.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTexan View Post
I'd take a flyer on Sidney Rice. Could pick him up on the cheap and has huge potential as stretching the field for us.
I know someone will post stats to prove otherwise, but this isn't a stretch the field offense. I'm pretty sure we pick up great yardage through the air, but we don't really run a lot of fly routes.

We run a lot of post routes and deep ins, but we rarely ask a receiver to outrun the guy holding him and let Matt throw it up to them and the fastest guy wins.

I think jacoby could probably do that, Aj too. But that isn't our offense and that isn't our qb's strong suit.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read