Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2011   #1
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans 2011 Salary Cap Figures?

I have done a search and couldn't find anything relevant. So it looks as though there is now a tentative agreement for the 2011 cap to be 120 million. Any idea where the Texans stand currently with cap room, and what kind of impact would this new cap have on our current situation?

In the Bullseye doesn't show anything past 2010.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap2010.html

I know it may be tough to forecast. But was hoping to have some discussion as to what type of flexibility we may have if/when FA begins. Who we may cut, who we go after, estimated budget, etc...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #2
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans 2011 Salary Cap Figures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
I have done a search and couldn't find anything relevant. So it looks as though there is now a tentative agreement for the 2011 cap to be 120 million. Any idea where the Texans stand currently with cap room, and what kind of impact would this new cap have on our current situation?

In the Bullseye doesn't show anything past 2010.
http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap2010.html

So was hoping to have some discussion as to what type of flexibility we may have if/when FA begins.
2010 was last year, so it would only go up to that year. Once the 2011 season ends it should update to show it then. I would say we have about $25 to $30 million dollars available to resign and spend on free agents. I think that offers use a little flexibility, but we can't afford to break the bank on one player while we have so many needs. *Nmandi cough cough*
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #3
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Rep Power: 27364 Tailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respectedTailgate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by XI CMURDER IX View Post
2010 was last year, so it would only go up to that year. Once the 2011 season ends it should update to show it then. I would say we have about $25 to $30 million dollars available to resign and spend on free agents. I think that offers use a little flexibility, but we can't afford to break the bank on one player while we have so many needs. *Nmandi cough cough*
Hmmm..... For example, the past data was posted in Jan 2010. So wouldn't that be adjusted for salary increases from 2009 season to 2010 season? Meaning, wouldnt those 2010 numbers have changed come this season and be different already from what is shown for 2010? Honest question.
Old 07-15-2011   #4
Tailgate
Fall of Hame

Found this:
http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ry-cap-figures

Not sure how accurate it is...

Quote:
- Houston $118.4 million

And some pretty good info from Clayton regarding the new cap and details. Seems rather complicated:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...e=NFLHeadlines

Jason LaCanfora reports:
Quote:
NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora has the cap at close to $123 million with exceptions that will make it "feel" like $130 million.
http://www.silverandblackpride.com/2...ry-cap-raiders
Old 07-15-2011   #5
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

To be honest I really don't know? I think I read an article way earlier on ESPN right after the draft talking about the team salaries. If it is $118 million, then we might have a problem.

EDIT: The $118 million dollars is for the players under contract for the 2010 season. So whoever we didn't resign or released will give us the new number.
Old 07-15-2011   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
To be honest I really don't know? I think I read an article way earlier on ESPN right after the draft talking about the team salaries. If it is $118 million, then we might have a problem.

EDIT: The $118 million dollars is for the players under contract for the 2010 season. So whoever we didn't resign or released will give us the new number.
The only # I found was $118 m but Pollard , Leinert and Orslovksy were still on it. I think it is about $90m but we would need to sign our own guys like Foster, R. Butler, etc + draft picks.

Not sure about your comment earlier about Asomugha and "other needs"? If he is #1 Cb we immediately do not have a priority need at safety. We can cut other back ups to create space if we can get a good player to strengthen team.
Old 07-15-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Houston-Texans-Salaries
http://www.inthebullseye.com/cap.html (2009)
This gives player contracts:
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/

Have to sign up for this but pretty accurate info for 2010
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d5419521
Old 07-15-2011   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

another showing Texans @ $108.5m in 2010
Old 07-15-2011   #9
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it's safe to say the new rookies will take up 7 million in cap space. So add that to any figures you get. Also, I'm pretty sure Demecos contract will reduce in cap quite a bit this year, but I don't know the exact number. He was paid a huge bonus last year.
Old 07-15-2011   #10
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 247537 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
And yet someone else who probably also can't afford to be signing Asomugha will in fact sign him and then they'll sign their draft picks too. They'll somehow make it through the season able to sign street free agents as needed and next year be able to pick up a free agent or two without any trouble.
Old 07-15-2011   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The cap hit on a signing bonus will surely still be able to spread out over the length of the contract. It shouldn't keep the Texans (or any team not in cap trouble) from making a run at Asomugha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
And yet someone else who probably also can't afford to be signing Asomugha will in fact sign him and then they'll sign their draft picks too. They'll somehow make it through the season able to sign street free agents as needed and next year be able to pick up a free agent or two without any trouble.
Losers say "can't". Or "won't go crazy". After 9 years of staying home for the playoffs, it's time to get a little crazy.

Last edited by Lucky; 07-15-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #12
ATXtexanfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 13230 ATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedATXtexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

just heard tampa has a way to go to hit cap floor, could throw it all at asomugha
ATXtexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #13
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

I wouldn't worry too much about the salary cap. If we want to spend money on Aso or whoever, we can. From what I gathered from Jason La Canfora,There is not gonna be any mechanism that prevents teams from spending over the cap. You can give a guy a $30 million signing bonus pro-rated over 5 years, that cap charge is only 6 million, but you're spending $30 million in that calendar year. There are things you can do to make it work.

The only issue that has surfaced is for teams that have to start spending, not the teams that spend too much. You have to spend 90% of the cap. So now teams like Tampa Bay have to spend big bucks. I would be concerned that this would force you to make decisions that you wouldn't have otherwise. If you are required to spend X more million dollars, you might end up signing some mediocre player and hurting your team just to meet the minimum cap requirement.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #14
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXtexanfan View Post
just heard tampa has a way to go to hit cap floor, could throw it all at asomugha
ok, butr why would he go there?
Old 07-15-2011   #15
Lucky

Rep Power: 136980 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
ok, butr why would he go there?
Tampa is an emerging team (10-6 last year) with a young roster. And like Texas, Florida has no state income tax. Oh, and a lot of $$$$$$$$.

Why would Asomugha come to Houston? No state income tax and a lot of $$$$$$$$. And maybe a few more $$$.
Old 07-15-2011   #16
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
I wouldn't worry too much about the salary cap. If we want to spend money on Aso or whoever, we can. From what I gathered from Jason La Canfora,There is not gonna be any mechanism that prevents teams from spending over the cap. You can give a guy a $30 million signing bonus pro-rated over 5 years, that cap charge is only 6 million, but you're spending $30 million in that calendar year. There are things you can do to make it work.

The only issue that has surfaced is for teams that have to start spending, not the teams that spend too much. You have to spend 90% of the cap. So now teams like Tampa Bay have to spend big bucks. I would be concerned that this would force you to make decisions that you wouldn't have otherwise. If you are required to spend X more million dollars, you might end up signing some mediocre player and hurting your team just to meet the minimum cap requirement.
Yeah but Texans have signed some of those pre Smith (& the cap expert they hired from NFL) & it took some years to clear up the dead money. We have in a very insignificant amount of dead $ left. I think that most of those teams forced to spend the 90% are the teams that draft high every year so I am not worried about exceptional players going there although you wlil always have a Hainesworth going to Washington for crazy bucks.
Old 07-15-2011   #17
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Tampa is an emerging team (10-6 last year) with a young roster. And like Texas, Florida has no state income tax. Oh, and a lot of $$$$$$$$.

Why would Asomugha come to Houston? No state income tax and a lot of $$$$$$$$. And maybe a few more $$$.
+ #1 RB in NFL + best WR in NFL + a highly rated QB and offense + outstanding DC in Phillips+ moving Mario & replacing his spot on line with very good first round selection a 5-2 defense that will attack the QB and corners love that.

Do you really like TB over Texans?
Old 07-16-2011   #18
Lucky

Quote:
Do you really like TB over Texans?
Do I? I like their head coach a lot more. And the Bucs were a better team in 2010 than the Texans. Fact. So, why is it a stretch for Asomugha to sign in Tampa over Houston?
Old 07-16-2011   #19
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Quote:
The only # I found was $118 m but Pollard , Leinert and Orslovksy were still on it. I think it is about $90m but we would need to sign our own guys like Foster, R. Butler, etc + draft picks.

Not sure about your comment earlier about Asomugha and "other needs"? If he is #1 Cb we immediately do not have a priority need at safety. We can cut other back ups to create space if we can get a good player to strengthen team.
Yeah I think we are looking at around $90 million, too. Since Pollard and all of them won't be coming back. We probably won't resign Foster till next year, but if they were smart management would sign him right after the lockout was over along with Leach.

I still do think we have "other needs" and I don't want to have so much money tied up into Nmandi. How do we not have a need at safety? That is what I am wondering...
Old 07-16-2011   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Do I? I like their head coach a lot more. And the Bucs were a better team in 2010 than the Texans. Fact. So, why is it a stretch for Asomugha to sign in Tampa over Houston?
This season should change your mind about who is the better coach. With Gary Kubiak able to concentrate only on the ofense, I expect his approval rating to sky rocket.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read