Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-15-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 243112 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Could Pollard be considered for the LB position

He had the run stopping and tackling skills. He weighed 224. I believe the average NFL 3-4 LB weighs around 235. So would this experiment be off the wall? It's a slow time now.....and that's why I even bring it up. But I've often wondered if the coverage responsibilities would not be necessary, could Pollard's punch and aggressiveness have been harnessed for our new D.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #2
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Could Pollard be considered for the LB position

Whoever is holding the ball around Pollard is in trouble, dude has run stopping ability and aggression to be feared. Let me say this first so nobody gets confused:

I DON'T WANT POLLARD STARTING AT SAFETY

But I thought he at least brings enough to the table to be a special teams captain or a servicable backup. I mean, why in the hell is Kevin Bentley getting paid by this team?

As a LB, I don't think he can bulk up too much more but he did show the ability to blitz last year, both times a safety blitz got called lol....and he would clearly not have trouble diving into piles and effing people up, that's what he did already.

I think he'll have enough clout to get a job elsewhere but I really wouldn't mind having him around, albeit in a lesser role.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #3
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't think he fits. He could take a shot at WLB in a 4-3 defense, but I don't think he has the frame to play an ILB spot in the 3-4. Those guys have to be able to play through OG blocks in the 3-4 one-gap system.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't we release Pollard?
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #5
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, he's a FA.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #6
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

There is not much history of veteran players moving from SS to LB with any level of legitimate success. There are couple of players who moved really early and became good players though. Gary Brackett of the Colts comes to mind.
Old 07-15-2011   #7
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 112890 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
Gary Brackett of the Colts comes to mind.
Cato June with the colts was a safety in college as well as Thomas Davis with the panthers. I always thought Pollard was best in a Pollamalu type role...unfortunately we had no pass rush and no secondary so we didnt have the luxury of using him that way.

Pollard could make it as a nickel package linebacker on passing downs now. Hes just not the size of guy you want taking on offensive linemen if you can protect him...

Last edited by powda; 07-15-2011 at 11:24 AM.
powda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-15-2011   #8
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
He had the run stopping and tackling skills. He weighed 224. I believe the average NFL 3-4 LB weighs around 235. So would this experiment be off the wall? It's a slow time now.....and that's why I even bring it up. But I've often wondered if the coverage responsibilities would not be necessary, could Pollard's punch and aggressiveness have been harnessed for our new D.
Pollard could have been used as a utility player.

That said, I think that there are cheaper options that can be used in that type of role.

I'm way more excited to see what Anderson can do at the olb position. He was very explosive coming off the line providing an excellent speed rush and opening up the offensive line.

Texans need to re-sign him.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #9
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I don't think he will be re-signed.
Old 07-15-2011   #10
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216794 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Can he cover backs and TE's ?

Scratch that idea.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #11
TimeKiller

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

No really, why the hell is Kevin Bentley on this team?
Old 07-15-2011   #12
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I don't think he will be re-signed.
Are you talking about Mark Anderson?

I hope hope you're wrong Gary...I think in his short stint last year he provided a better speed rush than any Texan player ever has.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Pollard will play for someone at safety role. He would be too beat up at linebacker.
Old 07-15-2011   #14
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

There's no doubt Pollard can tackle like a beast, but physically his frame does not lend towards being a LB. He's more effective when he's clean, not with guards and tackles getting their hands on him. I'd seriously question his ability to shed NFL o-lineman since he's never done it before other than safety blitzes.

That's an idea that could work in Madden, but not in real life.

Besides why would Pollard sign a cheap 1 year minimum deal experimenting as a linebacker when he'll probably be able to land a multi-year deal as someone's starting safety? Someone else will give him a chance, like the Texans did.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #15
TimeKiller

His frame couldn't take what now? Guy averaged 80 tackles a season as a safety! Saying he's better not shedding blocks, yeah, so is everybody. SKILL as a LB might be a question but not durability. Sign him as a backup Safety, an average backup and special team demon at a position where desperation is an understatement. I betcha he would sign for cheap because I think he knows this is probably the best team he's gonna catch on to.

Wade better know some guys who are better or this will be yet another mistake for Rick Smith at setting up the backfield for success. Even if Wade knows some guys who are better it won't be a Rick Smith decision to sign them. So I guess business as usual.
Old 07-15-2011   #16
m5kwatts
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 877 m5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respectedm5kwatts is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeKiller View Post
His frame couldn't take what now? Guy averaged 80 tackles a season as a safety! Saying he's better not shedding blocks, yeah, so is everybody. SKILL as a LB might be a question but not durability. Sign him as a backup Safety, an average backup and special team demon at a position where desperation is an understatement. I betcha he would sign for cheap because I think he knows this is probably the best team he's gonna catch on to.

Wade better know some guys who are better or this will be yet another mistake for Rick Smith at setting up the backfield for success. Even if Wade knows some guys who are better it won't be a Rick Smith decision to sign them. So I guess business as usual.
Yeah, he averaged 80 tackles a season AS A SAFETY. How could you forecast anything about his durability AS A LINEBACKER when he's never taken on the position full-time. As a safety, he's roaming free untouched a helluva alot more than if he was a linebacker mere yards off the line of scrimmage. He does not have a LB frame, from head to toe. He'd get engulfed by the big boys if he was in a front 7 full time. Look at LBs in the NFL, you've gotta have a squattier lower/heavier base and thicker legs. Pollard looks like a WR. So yes his frame would affect his SKILL as a LB.
m5kwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #17
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 51073 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Are you talking about Mark Anderson?

I hope hope you're wrong Gary...I think in his short stint last year he provided a better speed rush than any Texan player ever has.
Pollard was released just before the lockout.
Old 07-15-2011   #18
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I think CND is trying to make a comaprison to Dumervil in Denver when they played the 3-4. I think it would've been an interesting TC experiment. Pollard definitely had the mindset to be an OLB in the 3-4 and use his athleticism to rush the passer.
Old 07-15-2011   #19
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 39888 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I think CND is trying to make a comaprison to Dumervil in Denver when they played the 3-4. I think it would've been an interesting TC experiment. Pollard definitely had the mindset to be an OLB in the 3-4 and use his athleticism to rush the passer.
Is Pollard fast enough though? I thought one of his problems was that he was not fast enough to keep up with receivers and TEs down the field and was best when they ran towards him?

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #20
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Is Pollard fast enough though? I thought one of his problems was that he was not fast enough to keep up with receivers and TEs down the field and was best when they ran towards him?
I'm talking about Pollard being purely a passrusher. I think his skill set would lend itself to that well enough to make it an interesting experiment in TC. I don't think Dumervil dropped back in coverage very much at all in the Denver 3-4. Hard to get 17 sacks when you're dropped back in coverage. Now Dumervil is exceptionally small as a 4-3 DE.

Last edited by DocBar; 07-15-2011 at 11:40 PM.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read