Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-14-2011   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 122990 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default AJ:A Texans free agent refresher

Quote:
If this was a normal NFL year, this would be the week when I would do my second in a series of Texans roster checkups - the training camp edition as I generally call it.

Here's a sample from last year if you're not familiar.

Since litigation and lockout has stifled free agent and rookie draft choice signings there's really no point to a roster checkup now.

But based on things I've been reading on various websites there is a need for a refresher on players who are free agents and technically are not on the Texans roster.

Yes, the Texans will likely try to re-sign some of their own unrestricted free agents - guys like Vonta Leach.

And if unrestricted free agency (UFA) returns to four years of service instead of six once a new labor agreement is reached, then you can add current RFAs Rashad Butler and Jacoby Jones to the list of players potentially on their way out.

Since it's been months since we've talked about players beyond the big names, here's your refresher - a list of players that played for the Texans last season that are now in some state of free agency and may or may not be here in 2011.

DE/OLB Mark Anderson - tendered by the Texans as a restricted free agent under 2010 rules and will become unrestricted if the four year UFA rule is reinstated. Anderson (6-4, 255) would be a good fit behind Mario Williams at Will Linebacker in the Texans new 3-4 defense. Expect the Texans to make him an offer if he becomes an UFA.

LB Kevin Bentley - now 31 years old, the hard working special teams captain and backup linebacker is nearing the end of the line but he could find his way back on the Texans roster as preaseason depth or if DeMeco Ryans' rehab takes longer than expected.

DE Tim Bulman - was not offered a RFA tender by the Texans and isn't a good fit in a 3-4. He'll likely end up in another uniform this season.

OT Rashad Butler

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texa...gent-refresher
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #2
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: AJ:A Texans free agent refresher

The rookies and FA's are the ones who really got screwed by this lockout. Sux way more for them than anyone else.

I hate to see that Bulman probably won't be with us. I've always liked his effort.

I'd really like to see us keep Bulter, but I'm not sure it's gonna happen. He's likely to be a hot commodity.

SIGN LEACH!!! PAY HIM, RICK!!!

JJ....um...

I'd like to see us keep Mark Anderson.

Bentley is a keep if the price is right.
Old 07-15-2011   #3
Lucky

Rep Power: 184792 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I hate to see that Bulman probably won't be with us. I've always liked his effort.
I don't see why Bulman isn't a good fit as a 3-4 DE. He's similar in size to Antonio Smith, and swung between DE and DT. It's not like he would get more than the vet minimum, anyway. I think they should at least bring Bulman into camp and give him a shot.
Old 07-15-2011   #4
TexansSeminole
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 67501 TexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansSeminole is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't see why Bulman isn't a good fit as a 3-4 DE. He's similar in size to Antonio Smith, and swung between DE and DT. It's not like he would get more than the vet minimum, anyway. I think they should at least bring Bulman into camp and give him a shot.
I don't see why any of these players won't atleast get a shot in camp.
TexansSeminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 181199 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Bentley shocked me with his effort last season in replacing Ryans. He looked 100% lost.
Old 07-15-2011   #6
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Bentley shocked me with his effort last season in replacing Ryans. He looked 100% lost.
I honestly don't even remember hearing Bentley's name last season. Maybe I was too shocked and awed by how sucky the entire defense was. Having said that, he's a good Special Teamer and I'd like to keep him for the right price.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read