Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-13-2011   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [ProFootballFocus] Texans - #2 OL in 2010

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...%80%93-part-2/

2. Houston Texans (2009 Rank: 13th)

Run Rank 3rd, Pass Rank 4th, Penalties Rank 4th

How much did this line improve? Every one of them scored a positive grade and they were particularly strong with their run blocking (the unsung heroes in Arian Fosterís breakout campaign). If thereís a complaint itís that both tackles are prone to getting beaten in pass protection.

Best Player: Surprising as it may seem, Chris Myers is right up there with Mangold and Birk as one of the best run blocking centers in the league.

Biggest Concern: After three years in the league, Duane Brown may be competent, but heís not good enough to deal with the top edge rushers one-on-one.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #2
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [ProFootballFocus] Texans - #2 OL in 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post
http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog...%80%93-part-2/

2. Houston Texans (2009 Rank: 13th)

Run Rank 3rd, Pass Rank 4th, Penalties Rank 4th

How much did this line improve? Every one of them scored a positive grade and they were particularly strong with their run blocking (the unsung heroes in Arian Fosterís breakout campaign). If thereís a complaint itís that both tackles are prone to getting beaten in pass protection.

Best Player: Surprising as it may seem, Chris Myers is right up there with Mangold and Birk as one of the best run blocking centers in the league.

Biggest Concern: After three years in the league, Duane Brown may be competent, but heís not good enough to deal with the top edge rushers one-on-one.
What an unbelieveable(sp) turnaround.
Old 07-13-2011   #3
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Chris Meyers played well last year but I want to see that performance again before he's talked about as being one of the best in the league.
Old 07-14-2011   #4
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Gotta resign Rashod Butler.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #5
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life View Post

John Benton and Rick Dennison did an outstanding job last year. It helps that Foster had such great vision.

I used to be in the crowd that wanted Meyers replaced ,but he really has up'ed his game. He's still on the light side and can get handled by bigger defensive linemen ,but he looks more technically sound. His mobility to the 2nd and 3rd level really helped break some runs last year. He was 20 yards or more past the line of scrimmage on a LOT of running plays. He played angry.

Wade Smith was sloppy as hell his first year but really cleaned it up this past year. Far fewer blown assignments and penalties.

Caldwell shared time with Brisell. He (Caldwell) had good and bad moments and the talent is there. He should be more consitent this year.

Winston and Brown can both be beat outside by speed but overall they are respectible pass blockers and better then average run blockers.

We should definetly retain Butler. We groomed him for a few years and saw a glimpse of the payoff finally this year. Gotta have a quality swing tackle.

We have the best screen pass offensive line in the NFL. They struggle against 3-4 defensive linemen at times but overall I was impressed with their performance last year. We will have a quality running game again this year due in part to them...
Old 07-14-2011   #6
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Butler does not want to stay here.
Old 07-14-2011   #7
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by powda View Post
John Benton and Rick Dennison did an outstanding job last year. It helps that Foster had such great vision.

I used to be in the crowd that wanted Meyers replaced ,but he really has up'ed his game. He's still on the light side and can get handled by bigger defensive linemen ,but he looks more technically sound. His mobility to the 2nd and 3rd level really helped break some runs last year. He was 20 yards or more past the line of scrimmage on a LOT of running plays. He played angry.

Wade Smith was sloppy as hell his first year but really cleaned it up this past year. Far fewer blown assignments and penalties.

Caldwell shared time with Brisell. He (Caldwell) had good and bad moments and the talent is there. He should be more consitent this year.

Winston and Brown can both be beat outside by speed but overall they are respectible pass blockers and better then average run blockers.

We should definetly retain Butler. We groomed him for a few years and saw a glimpse of the payoff finally this year. Gotta have a quality swing tackle.

We have the best screen pass offensive line in the NFL. They struggle against 3-4 defensive linemen at times but overall I was impressed with their performance last year. We will have a quality running game again this year due in part to them...
2010 was Wade Smith's first year with the Texans.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...6-f56b34ae36c5
Old 07-14-2011   #8
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87952 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
2010 was Wade Smith's first year with the Texans.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...6-f56b34ae36c5
Thanks. Sorry for the oversite...perhaps i'm thinking of his play early in the year then or preseason?
Old 07-14-2011   #9
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 75563 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
2010 was Wade Smith's first year with the Texans.http://www.houstontexans.com/team/ro...6-f56b34ae36c5
That's what I thunk...

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #10
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That's what I thunk...

Chilllllllaxxxx people. Its been a long day. I'm not able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to my post thanks to this "job thing" I have to go to...
Old 07-14-2011   #11
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Kubes and some Myers apologists had said he had been playing on a high ankle sprain the previous 2 years. They say last year is what he really is. I am with you. He needs another couple of seasons before I will feel comfortable.

I thought Smith was great. He was brought in as the key FA and he delivered pretty well overall. Poor preseaon but solid regular season. Well worth the money.

Disappointed with Caldwell. He has not taken the starting spot from Brisel. I thought Caldwell would be starting in his second year and not looking back. Hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Winston and solid are above average. They can hold their own against the solid to good DEs but struggle against the elite ends/OLBs like Freeny and Ware, but then again, so do the elite tackles. They are good enough to win with.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #12
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the OL is finally good enough to win with overall but I just hope they stay good enough until the rest of the team gets better.
Old 07-14-2011   #13
powda
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
I think the OL is finally good enough to win with overall but I just hope they stay good enough until the rest of the team gets better.
If our defense had'nt been do dreadfull I think more people might be paying attention to how much our running game improved. At times the line was downright domminant. It was fun to watch.
Old 07-14-2011   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Chilllllllaxxxx people. Its been a long day. I'm not able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to my post thanks to this "job thing" I have to go to...
What's a "job thing"?
Old 07-14-2011   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Quote:
If our defense had'nt been do dreadfull I think more people might be paying attention to how much our running game improved. At times the line was downright domminant. It was fun to watch.
They are all in the prime of their careers so the time is now to win.
Old 07-14-2011   #16
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I think they deserve the ranking, I didn't do too much bitchin about the O-Line last season... so that meant they were doing their job. With Arian's great season that helped a lot.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 41142 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

It is a very good OLine, so why don't any of them get a Pro-Bowl spot ?
IDEXAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #18
ArlingtonTexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post
I don't think individually any of them dominate the line of scrimmage, but work well together as a unit. The classic, whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Old 07-14-2011   #19
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDEXAN View Post

Quote:
I don't think individually any of them dominate the line of scrimmage, but work well together as a unit. The classic, whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
Part of it is that it has also only been a year. OL is one of those positions that people continue to vote over and over based on reputation.

Look at the AFC 2011 OL:
OT: Jake Long, Joe Thomas, DBrick, Matt Light
OG: Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Kris Dielman
C: Nick mangold, Maurkice Pouncey, Jeff Saturday, Alex Mack

OT: Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Joe Thomas, DBrick
OG: Logan Mankins, Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman
C: Nick mangold, Jeff Saturday, Kevin Mawae.

OT:Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Michael Roos, Jake Long
OG: Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman, Brian Waters
C: Kevin Mawae, Nick Mangold, Casey Weigmann

OT:Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Matt Light, Jonathan Ogden, Macus McNeill
OG: Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman, Logan Mankins
C: Jeff Saturday, Dan Koppen

OT:Matt Light, Jonathan Ogden, Macus McNeill, Willie Anderson, Tarik Glenn
OG: Alan Faneca, Will Shields, Brian Waters
C: Jeff Saturday, Nick Hardwick

OT:Jonathan Ogden, Willie Anderson, Willie Roaf, Tarik Glenn
OG: Alan Faneca, Will Shields, Brian Waters
C: Jeff Saturday, Jeff hartings

Notice how many players appear on that list multiple times? Once you are seen as an established Probowler, you generally make multiple appearances. But to get there, it generally takes time for people to notice you. You gotta play well over a couple of seasons and be on a winning team that gets attention.

Conversely, you could be a first round pick and play well. Then people will notice you right away.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #20
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm hoping the defense can undergo a similar improvement. Basic sound play from line and a big time player like Foster on the D (Asomugha) could really move us towards that Super Bowl thinggy.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read