Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 184414 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Arian Foster Is The Gold Standard For Undrafted Free Agents

An interview of Foster on a San Diego radio station.

Quote:
Arian Foster was overlooked while he was at the University of Tennessee. Then he was overlooked by all 32 teams in the NFL Draft. Then, even after he was signed by the Houston Texans as an undrafted free agent, he was still fighting the numbers game and trying to climb his way to the top of the depth chart. After his breakout campaign in 2010, Arian Foster will never be overlooked again. Foster led the NFL in rushing yards and rushing touchdowns and even though it was just one season, he emerged as one of the best running backs in the league.

Up until this point Foster has proven a lot of people wrong. He has shown that he is one of the best running backs in the league, he has shown that he deserves to be the lead ball-carrier for the Texans, and he is finally getting the recognition he has always wanted. Now it is up to him to make sure he continues down that path and doesnít go in reverse in 2011.

Arian Foster joined XX Sports Radio in San Diego with Darren Smith to talk about the NFL lockout, whether or not he sees a resolution coming soon, what things wouldíve been like for him if he was an undrafted player in the middle of a lockout, if he feels like he can be a positive example for undrafted players, and what it means for him to be nominated for an ESPY.

On the lockout possibly coming to an end soon:

ďIt could go either way man so I try not to put too much energy into it. This is part of the business man. This is the business I chose to make my career so I just have to roll with the punches. Either way there is nothing that I can do so itís out of my hands, I canít control it so Iím just working out, staying in shape, and being ready just in case.Ē

How things wouldíve been different if he went undrafted in the middle of a lockout:

ďIíve thought about that and Iíve kicked that around. Thereís no telling where my life would be. As far as the undrafted guys now, itís gonna be tough, real tough because you donít know where your home is yet. You donít know where your home could be yet. Thatís the business that we chose. Itís a tough reality but at the end of the day itís reality. Those guys are going to have a long journey to where they want to go. I think the thing that they have to keep in my mind is that it is a journey, itís not a destination. Itís not the end of the road. Just keep working and stay focused. Iím a firm believer that hard work pays off. I donít care what you do, it will pay off. Itís going to be tough because they donít have the opportunity of OTAís, minicamps or things like that to kinda showcase what they can do in front of the coaches. Itís gonna be tough but they just have to stay focused.Ē

Whether or not he feels like he can be an example for other undrafted players in the NFL:

ďI think thatís kinda one of my goals as a human being is to inspire people. If my inspiration comes from the football field then so be it. In this instance it does. So when I guy looks at me and says I can do it because he did it then Iím all for it. They have to understand that it didnít just happen. I donít think anything just happens. If youíre successful itís rarely, rarely luck. Itís rarely. Itís a lot of hard work, a lot of man power, and a lot of hours that you put into your craft. Once somebody gets that, understands that, and implements that into their own life then their life changes for the good. Going back to your point it feels good being able to inspire and I try to live my life to be a vessel for truth and for hard work because it does pay off.Ē

On being nominated for an ESPY:

ďIt means a lot for me to be nominated. Itís a certain amount of respect that people have gained for your game and thatís why I play this game. I play this game for the respect factor. Iím not necessarily into winning this award or any award that Iím nominated for because Iím kinda self-vindicated. Iíve talked to a guy like Ray Lewis and he has really been a big inspiration for me this past offseason. We have talked a lot and we have kept in touch. He told me that he loves the way I play the game. When a first-ballot Hall-Of-Famer tells me they love the way I play the game, thatís the biggest award I couldíve possibly gained. It means more to me than any ESPY. Honestly. I will be honored if I win but I wonít be crushed if I donít.Ē
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #2
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster Is The Gold Standard For Undrafted Free Agents

Another great read/find. Thanks Doc Jean.

MSR

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #3
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 50265 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster is the present & future of the Texans ground game with Tate a similar talent to share work load.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, they shoulda had Vontae Leach at Tennessee.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #5
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 94174 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans finally have one complete stud at RB and hopefully Tate can be everything people have hoped for. The Texans could possibly have the best RB committee in the NFL next year.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #6
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72200 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I thought we were movin' Foster to FS.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #7
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerlover View Post
Foster is the present & future of the Texans ground game with Tate a similar talent to share work load.
Rbs life is so short.....here today...1 injury away from gone....go ask Slaton.....
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-11-2011   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

What the heck is he doing in San Diego?

He should be in Port Arthur at the Steven Jackson school of Basketball working out.
Old 07-12-2011   #9
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
What the heck is he doing in San Diego?

He should be in Port Arthur at the Steven Jackson school of Basketball working out.
iirc he's from SD.

edit: his parents got divorced and he and his father moved to SD.
Old 07-12-2011   #10
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

I'm pretty sure it has to do with him being in the area for NFL Total Access tonight.
Old 07-13-2011   #11
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Foster won the "Strongest performance award" at the ESPY's

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011   #12
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 25091 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Foster won the "Strongest performance award" at the ESPY's
Did he thank the Colts?
Old 07-14-2011   #13
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaayteetx View Post
Did he thank the Colts?
LOL! I guess he was a better man than you and I would be. He gave all the praise to his offensive lineman. Good idea.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011   #14
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty wild and insightful article about Arian. Can't fit it all, so you'll have to click to see the full article

Arian Foster: The Most Interesting Man in the NFL
Quote:
Arian Foster is a commencement speech come to life, a walking, talking, living, breathing, rhyme-dropping, Shakespeare-quoting, yoga-practicing, linebacker-outrunning testament to the idea that hard work fueled by dedication can turn dreams into reality. He is the NFLís philosopher king, a poet and deep thinker who led the league in rushing last season, his second, and seems to be on the cusp of stardom, both as a player and as an outsize personality out of whose mouth can come anything at anytime.

Such as now. Heís standing on a rock in the desert in his hometown of Albuquerque, yelling at the universe and entreating everybody with him to do the same. He demands that the universe hear from his sister, Christina, a Sporting News photographer, the photographerís assistant and me. Foster, his fingers pointing to the endless desert, as wide and deep as the future that unfolds before him, instructs us to share our deepest desires. ďAsk it for what you want,Ē he says.

He takes his turn. ďI WANT TO BE ME! THE BEST ME I CAN POSSIBLY BE!Ē

He picks up momentum. ďYOU FEEL ME? IT WONíT KILL ME!Ē His voice catches. He starts to crack up. ďI DIDNíT MEAN THAT (EXPLETIVE) TO RHYME, BUT IT DID.Ē

The wind blows. The relentless heat of the day starts to give way. Sand shoots through the air, drying our eyes and lips and throats, tiny needles spiking our skin. Smoke dulls the sky in the distance to Fosterís right, evidence of the fires that have ravaged New Mexico. Miles in front of Foster rise the Sandia Mountains, turning pink like the watermelon for which they are named; behind him sets the sun, yellow rays filtering through dark clouds.

Still standing on the rock but now facing away from the desert, Foster diverts his attention from the universe and onto a lone man, hundreds of yards away. ďHEY! YOU! WALKING! DID YOU TAKE WHAT YOU WANT OUT OF THIS LIFE? OR DID LIFE TAKE WHAT IT WANTED OUT OF YOU?Ē

The man offers no response. Neither does the universe. Foster eventually moves to another topic, which is that he recently played an old video game and was surprised at how poor the graphics looked considering how state of the art they seemed 10 years ago. ďIt makes me think,Ē he says in a British accent. ďTen years from now, what are we going to be doing?Ē

He means video game-wise, but itís a question he has pondered about himself, too. He might still be playing football or he might have moved on to a music or writing career. The way this photo shoot is going, he might still be on the rock, shouting to the heavens while admiring the earth. Whatever the Foster of 10 years from now finds to occupy his time, heíll do it full-tilt and off-center, spreading his message of love and unity and go-get-it-because-nobodyís-going-to-give-it-to-you to whomever will listen, up to and including the universe.

óóóóóóóó

Across the street from the University of New Mexico sits a diner called the Frontier. It has more tables than a Las Vegas casino and boasts a glorious menu of New Mexico cuisine: green chile hamburgers, green chile stew, green chile coffee, green chile oatmeal and green chile tequila. Just kidding. There arenít that many tables.

It is here that Foster and I talk for 90 minutes about football and philosophy, faith and family and whether Papa Smurf was a communist. Fosterís interests are wide-ranging, and the last thing he wants is to be seen as just a football player. ďHeís different things to different people,Ē says Simon Garcia, who has been friends with Foster since they were 7.

Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011   #15
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Good find Allstar. Enjoyed the read. Arian is a rare bird for sure.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read