Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-10-2011   #1
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 164009 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default If Past History is Any Predictor..........

........the Texans could crash and burn. Thinking SMART will have to become a new trend...........an unfamiliar path to date.
Quote:
Free agent period will separate best front offices from the rest

We don’t know when free agency will start. We do know that the craziest period of NFL player movement is on its way, which gives front offices a unique opportunity to separate from one another.

“What’s going to happen is you’re going to have some inexperienced general managers and owners go crazy early on,” one longtime G.M. told SI.com’s Don Banks. “They’re going to think, ‘I’ve got to go out and do something crazy. This is my window of opportunity.’ But I think that’s absolutely the wrong move.

“There are so many free agents and so many guys out there that if you’re just patient, you can wind up with some good players at really good value and not put yourself out there [at risk] with a couple mega-deals.”

We agree with all of that, especially the good value part. There are essentially two free agent classes available because of the restrictive 2010 rules. On top of that, teams were hesitant to hand out long-term deals before the lockout, which left even more quality players available. On Friday’s PFT Live, we talked about the impressive depth of this free agent group.

Good front offices should be able to find young, quality value without overpaying. Still, some teams will go gaga for veterans.

“That’s going to happen, I promise you,” the general manager told Banks. “A couple of these guys are going to say, ‘Hey, we’re going to be aggressive. We’ve got a fat wallet and we’re raring to go.’ I just hope those teams are in our division. Because when you go back over the history of free agency, it rarely works out with the big-money guys. Just look at the last five years or so, with Albert Haynesworth, Joey Porter or Terrell Owens.”

Front offices may only get a few days to learn the new rules before they start spending. It’s going to be a fascinating time to watch how teams work.

This free agent period should reverberate for years after, rewarding those teams that were most nimble and wise identifying talent.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #2
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: If Past History is Any Predictor..........

Aso, Aso, Aso!!!

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #3
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

U know what scares me our Front office F/A track record hasent been stellar .... : I
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #4
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68813 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think our front office needs some pressure on it anyway. Otherwise, they'll never sign FAs at all, unless they are very old, very much passed their prime, and CHEAP.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #5
Fred
All Pro

Rep Power: 28282 Fred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respectedFred is a quality contributor and well respected

Good front offices should be able to find young, quality value without overpaying. Still, some teams will go gaga for veterans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
Aso, Aso, Aso!!!
What the fans want is exactly what the article says is the wrong path.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

If this story is true then, Texans fans are screwed.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
........the Texans could crash and burn. Thinking SMART will have to become a new trend...........an unfamiliar path to date.
ANd how is this different than past off seasons? There is always a team or two that over pays.
Old 07-10-2011   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJam72 View Post
I think our front office needs some pressure on it anyway. Otherwise, they'll never sign FAs at all, unless they are very old, very much passed their prime, and CHEAP.
You mean other than guys like Anthony Weaver & Antonio Smith.... old & cheap...... not really.

neither is KDub, Dressen, & Wade Smith (maybe cheap, but not old.)

I honestly do not believe money is an issue, when you consider what we paid Robaire Smith, & I can't remember their names, but those guys for our offensive line.... Then Antonio Smith & Anthony Weaver's contracts.....

money isn't the issue.

We've paid as much for scrubs as what other teams pay for the top FA....... most likely because we couldn't throw enough money at the top FAs...... they wouldn't have come to Houston for anything.
Old 07-11-2011   #9
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 18186 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
You mean other than guys like Anthony Weaver & Antonio Smith.... old & cheap...... not really.

neither is KDub, Dressen, & Wade Smith (maybe cheap, but not old.)

I honestly do not believe money is an issue, when you consider what we paid Robaire Smith, & I can't remember their names, but those guys for our offensive line.... Then Antonio Smith & Anthony Weaver's contracts.....

money isn't the issue.

We've paid as much for scrubs as what other teams pay for the top FA....... most likely because we couldn't throw enough money at the top FAs...... they wouldn't have come to Houston for anything.
You speak as if Antonio Smith is garbage/Weaver level. Smith is one of the bright spots on our defense.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #10
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194572 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
You speak as if Antonio Smith is garbage/Weaver level. Smith is one of the bright spots on our defense.
I speak of FA we spent a lot of money on. Players who should have been in their prime. While they may not have got break the bank money, I see no reason to believe the Texans wouldn't pay out the nose if the right situation came along.

Aso, $20M a year may be that situation. But if they get in a room with Nnamdi & feel he has no intention of playing for the Houston Texans...... I doubt they'll offer him $50M just to say they did.
Old 07-11-2011   #11
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52230 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the pressure of such a speedy market/situation might bring out good things.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #12
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69234 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I speak of FA we spent a lot of money on. Players who should have been in their prime. While they may not have got break the bank money, I see no reason to believe the Texans wouldn't pay out the nose if the right situation came along.

Aso, $20M a year may be that situation. But if they get in a room with Nnamdi & feel he has no intention of playing for the Houston Texans...... I doubt they'll offer him $50M just to say they did.
Lets just say we disagree.

Rick and Gary have failed to set up an enviornment that will attract top FA's. This should be one of the most important aspects of Ricks job. That and the hiring the scouting Dept and drafting the correct players to make this team a winner.

So far Rick has failed at his job for 6 yrs and counting.
Old 07-11-2011   #13
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'm not sure about that. Rick Smith has to be feeling the pressure as much as Kubiak. After all, the drafts have been his baby and we play as many, or more, of our own draft picks as any other teams in the league, and we've been....less than successful so far.
Smith might feel it's time to make that blockbuster deal happen and get Houston (and himself) in the headlines for something other than being failures to date. Signing Aso would definitely accomplish that.
Old 07-11-2011   #14
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 25491 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

As another thread stated we could most likely get Joseph and Weddle for the same price as Aso. Joseph + Weddle > Aso. I agree with spending some money in FA for some quality talent but at the same time you don't want to cripple the team financially with dead money like we've been in the past.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Too bad Rick didn't draft Joseph.

Character issues
Old 07-11-2011   #16
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

we have nothing to worry about. The Texans seem to move slow as

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011   #17
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 53446 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
As another thread stated we could most likely get Joseph and Weddle for the same price as Aso. Joseph + Weddle > Aso. I agree with spending some money in FA for some quality talent but at the same time you don't want to cripple the team financially with dead money like we've been in the past.
I wouldn't consider a high $$ contract for any of those players as dead money. Those are quality players that deliver the good for the $$ payed. Too often the Texans have paid high-ish $$ contracts for other teams scrubs and cast-offs. Aso is a proven talent with no issues so why not make him an offer he can't refuse? It's not like making a deal with the devil for Haynesworth or anything.
Old 07-11-2011   #18
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 118955 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
I'm not sure about that. Rick Smith has to be feeling the pressure as much as Kubiak. After all, the drafts have been his baby and we play as many, or more, of our own draft picks as any other teams in the league, and we've been....less than successful so far.
Smith might feel it's time to make that blockbuster deal happen and get Houston (and himself) in the headlines for something other than being failures to date. Signing Aso would definitely accomplish that.
I think Wade could be whispering in his ear also. Phillips got what he wanted in draft so why not in FA?
Old 07-11-2011   #19
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
Weddle and Joseph could just as easily lead to dead money as ASO, more likely in my mind.
Old 07-11-2011   #20
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 73223 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Weddle and Joseph could just as easily lead to dead money as ASO, more likely in my mind.
Steve, anything could happen but why would you think "more likely"?

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read