Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-08-2011   #1
Texans34Life
I BLEED TEXANS!

Rep Power: 1028 Texans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans34Life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default [PFW] Texans will attempt to re-sign WR Jones

http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...-sign-wr-jones

On the offensive side of the ball, the Texans' plans for free agency likely will begin by attempting to lock up their own players, with making an offer to unrestricted free-agent FB Vonta Leach the first order of business. Whether or not Leach, who wants to be the highest-paid fullback in the league, will be satisfied with the Texans' offer remains to be seen. WR Jacoby Jones is another key contributor the club will attempt to re-sign. Although bouts of inconsistency have plagued Jones, he remains a dangerous downfield target for QB Matt Schaub, in addition to being the club's best return man. If Jones receives a more lucrative deal elsewhere, second-year WR Dorin Dickerson could see an increased role on offense. WR-RS Trindon Holliday could get the first shot at return duties, though he struggled to protect the football last preseason and Texans special-teams coordinator Joe Marciano recently said Holliday's value could be hurt by the new kickoff rules.

HoustonTexans4Life - 2010-2011 CHAMPION of TexansTalk Survivor and TexansTalk Pick'em
Texans34Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #2
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 100421 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: [PFW] Texans will attempt to re-sign WR Jones

Plaxico Burress was on NFLTA last night and they were talking about potential destinations for him. I think it was Baldy that mentioned him coming to Houston. Plax said it'd be a dream playing with AJ in an offense like ours.

Odds of it happening are next to zero, but it would be awesome seeing AJ, Plax, Walter, Dickerson and OD on the field at one time.

The dude shot himself and had to go to jail for it, lol. So, I think he's paid more than the price
Old 07-08-2011   #3
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 64065 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Cant say I'm excited. I still cringe every time the ball is thrown to him.
I would like to see the Texans sign someone else besides Jacoby.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #4
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 106068 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
Cant say I'm excited. I still cringe every time the ball is thrown to him.
I would like to see the Texans sign someone else besides Jacoby.
I only cringe when it's tight coverage for short yardage. If they went back to having him stretch the field (like '09), it'd help the offense a great deal more.
Old 07-08-2011   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Plaxico Burress was on NFLTA last night and they were talking about potential destinations for him. I think it was Baldy that mentioned him coming to Houston. Plax said it'd be a dream playing with AJ in an offense like ours.

Odds of it happening are next to zero, but it would be awesome seeing AJ, Plax, Walter, Dickerson and OD on the field at one time.

The dude shot himself and had to go to jail for it, lol. So, I think he's paid more than the price
Actually, the first word that came out of his mouth was "WOW!" He seemed pretty happy with that opportunity. We need to be on the phone with him. Do a deal similar to Vick's, worse case scenario is he gives us a more sure handed Jacoby Jones.

Yeah, and really the only reason he went to jail was because he had a loaded gun in NY. Here in Texas, he'd fit right in.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Actually, the first word that came out of his mouth was "WOW!" He seemed pretty happy with that opportunity. We need to be on the phone with him. Do a deal similar to Vick's, worse case scenario is he gives us a more sure handed Jacoby Jones.

Yeah, and really the only reason he went to jail was because he had a loaded gun in NY. Here in Texas, he'd fit right in after a gun safety course.
Fixed that for ya .....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #7
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Bring back jacoby and sign plax.

Then cut da.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 07-08-2011   #8
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: [PFW] Texans will attempt to re-sign WR Jones

Whether you like the re-singing or not, the f.o. is being consitent with 'more of the same.'

Maybe this year is the year....................lol?
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #9
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 59723 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is a PC answer just in case they can resign him for a reasonable rate. Keep him from being butt hurt.
Old 07-08-2011   #10
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Bring back jacoby and sign plax.

Then cut da.
A much better idea.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 226347 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected

Jacoby Jones is all potential and little production. It's time he got a change of scenery and I'd prefer they not waste a roster spot on him this year. His big breakout year is always "next year" so why bother? When next year gets here it's "this year" and he's a big play just waiting to happen (and waiting, and waiting, and waiting).

David Anderson isn't Wes Welker but at least he's pretty damned consistent and that far down the depth chart I think that's more important than potential that never pays off. When I find myself frustrated by David Anderson's limitations I remind myself that we wouldn't be depending on him so much if Jacoby Jones would grow the **** up and take his profession seriously OR if Texans would figure out that it's ok to go out and get another free agent WR if they need one. Kevin Walter has been a great addition but it's not like he takes up our only available free agent WR spot. Finding a complimentary piece to AJ should be a priority. Time isn't on his side for much longer. I'm not sold on Plax but I'd be seriously interested in working him out if I was Kubiak and I wouldn't let a stubborn, misguided loyalty to a draft pick whose never paid off get in the way of that.
Old 07-08-2011   #12
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
Jacoby Jones is all potential and little production. It's time he got a change of scenery and I'd prefer they not waste a roster spot on him this year. His big breakout year is always "next year" so why bother? When next year gets here it's "this year" and he's a big play just waiting to happen (and waiting, and waiting, and waiting).

David Anderson isn't Wes Welker but at least he's pretty damned consistent and that far down the depth chart I think that's more important than potential that never pays off. When I find myself frustrated by David Anderson's limitations I remind myself that we wouldn't be depending on him so much if Jacoby Jones would grow the **** up and take his profession seriously OR if Texans would figure out that it's ok to go out and get another free agent WR if they need one. Kevin Walter has been a great addition but it's not like he takes up our only available free agent WR spot. Finding a complimentary piece to AJ should be a priority. Time isn't on his side for much longer. I'm not sold on Plax but I'd be seriously interested in working him out if I was Kubiak and I wouldn't let a stubborn, misguided loyalty to a draft pick whose never paid off get in the way of that.
My thoughts exactly. ^^^^^^^
Texecutioner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #13
TimeKiller
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Location: This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not reaching the ground. It's roots must hold the sky.
Section: 521/Couch
Rep Power: 0 TimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respectedTimeKiller is a quality contributor and well respected

Well....if it's down to re-signing JJ or seeing what Dickerson, Anderson and Holliday are all about.......I say move on from JJ. We know what he is, all legs/no hands. Experiment over. Between DD, DA and TH I think punt returns and 3 WR duty is well covered.

Burress is a no for me. Gun puns aside, he's aged, out of practice and we already have a #1 guy (that MUST be targeted more often in the red zone) and enough high-level receivers for Schaubby.
TimeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think in general fans or either to easy or too hard on thier own players. Jones (and Walter) is a "we are too hard on" as a player. While I am okay upgrading the position, the Texans are solid not spectacular in terms of their 2A/2B combo. I would not be a fan of giving Jones a Walterlike (wasn't fan of giving Walter that miuch) contract, but I don't think they are losing (or winning) games because of either one.
Old 07-08-2011   #15
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Normal Kubiak re-sign players who have not lived up to what they were supposed to be.
Old 07-08-2011   #16
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post

Jacoby is the best return man on the team.

You lose Jacoby and you will only have hopes and wishes at that spot. And Jacoby is way more valuable than DA as a receiver. He may not live up to his potential, but he damn sure does more for the team than DA does.

Now I love DA and I think he's a good end of the depth chart guy....But he can be upgraded if you bring in a legit talent like Plax.
Old 07-08-2011   #17
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
Normal Kubiak re-sign players who have not lived up to what they were supposed to be.
I don't understand that mind set....

No he hasn't lived up to expectations...but he's still been very valuble for us...

Makes no sense to let him go without a viable alternative ready to take his place...You lose Jacoby and don't replace him with a better player and your offense takes a step back...

You lose Jacoby and miss out on a FA that you plan to land and have to replace him with fillers...you take a step back...

You re-sign Jacoby and land a good FA WR and your offense becomes that much more potent...
Old 07-08-2011   #18
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I don't understand that mind set....

No he hasn't lived up to expectations...but he's still been very valuble for us...

Makes no sense to let him go without a viable alternative ready to take his place...You lose Jacoby and don't replace him with a better player and your offense takes a step back...

You lose Jacoby and miss out on a FA that you plan to land and have to replace him with fillers...you take a step back...

You re-sign Jacoby and land a good FA WR and your offense becomes that much more potent...
You lose Jacoby and then sign two receivers your offense would be even more potent.
Old 07-08-2011   #19
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary View Post
You lose Jacoby and then sign two receivers your offense would be even more potent.

You are going to bank on the Texans signing two receivers in FA?
Old 07-08-2011   #20
Brandon420tx
Flounder

Rep Power: 12627 Brandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respectedBrandon420tx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Brandon420tx

Everyone always wants to get rid of DA, sure he's not as athletic as Jones, but his hands are just as reliable (if not more so) and he brings the most important intangible to the team. Comedy, dude is gold. I would rather they let JJ test the FA market and bring in Plax (doubtful), give Dickerson another veteran to learn from

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read