Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What Team Will Sign Nnamdi Asomugha?

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Since there are over 9000 threads on where he will go, throw down your ONE team that you think he will sign with in 2011 Free Agency. Winner(s) gets a rep from me, MSR not withstanding.

I'm going to place my bet on the Philadelphia Eagles.

They need some help in the secondary, and another year of explosive offense from McCoy and Vick, paired with an improved defense makes this team a serious favorite for the Super Bowl. I'm sure the Eagles would love to add him to the team, and I believe they will have the cap space to do it.

AnthonyE

Lurker
I'll say texans as well. I think aso would love to line up against some of his better friends daily.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Baltimore just picked Jimmy Smith in the first. Do you really think that they're looking to spend huge cash at the same position? Aso on that team would be unfair.
Harbaugh said they were going to look at signing ASO.

With ASO and Smith at the CB spots Baltimore would be the SB favorite. IMHO

The can sign ASO with the $$$$ saved by letting Wilson/Carr/Landry walk.

A secondary of ASO/Smith at CB and Leonhard/Reed at S would be the best in the league.

Aso wants to go to a contender. He wants to go to an organization that is known for winning and exudes classiness on and off the field.

I say he goes to Pittsburgh.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
He won't re-sign with the raiders.
I think we have a good shot at him.
I think there's a decent shot he re-signs with the Raiders regardless, but don't forget one of the sticking points in the CBA negotiation has to do with Right of First Refusal (ROFR) on free agents. Last I heard, the league wanted 3 ROFR's per team, and while I don't think there's a chance in the world they'll get that, all it would take is one per team to give the Raiders the absolute power to lock Nnamdi up again.

The ROFR may be negotiated completely away (in fact, I hope it is), but if it isn't, it amounts to a second way (in addition to the Franchise tag) to guarantee the return of a free agent - regardless of years in the league.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I think there's a decent shot he re-signs with the Raiders regardless, but don't forget one of the sticking points in the CBA negotiation has to do with Right of First Refusal (ROFR) on free agents. Last I heard, the league wanted 3 ROFR's per team, and while I don't think there's a chance in the world they'll get that, all it would take is one per team to give the Raiders the absolute power to lock Nnamdi up again.

The ROFR may be negotiated completely away (in fact, I hope it is), but if it isn't, it amounts to a second way (in addition to the Franchise tag) to guarantee the return of a free agent - regardless of years in the league.
Not sure how that would work.

Texans

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Not sure how that would work.

Texans
If it's included at all, it would likely work like the ability to match an offer on a RFA only without a draft pick involved. In the past, the Texans have matched offers for David Anderson (Broncos) and Vonta Leach (Giants), and made an offer on Kevin Walter that was not matched by the Bengals.

Probably the only thing that would really need to be addressed would be a way to elimnate unmatchable offers similar to the one the Vikings made to Steve Hutchinson - unless that's already been done and I simply missed it.

Wolf6151

All Pro
I don't know where he's going but it most likely won't be Houston. He's to expensive for us and he'll want to play for a proven winning organization, not perennial losers.

If he plays for Baltimore it's almost unfair to the rest of the league.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Difficult to say with the CBA and potential cap still up in the air. With Dallas and Washington both ignoring the CB position in the draft, I have to believe they are targeting FA CBs. I'm going to say the Redskins, because Snyder will do anything to beat Jones.

The Texans? They won't "go crazy".

Second Honeymoon

Hall of Fame
Rick Smith was on with John and Lance today on 1560thegame and he couldn't say much but I did get the feeling that they may take an aggressive stance in FA this year to improve the team. After all, its in his interest to do so.

If they fail again, both he and Gary may be fired and its doubtful that Rick would ever get another shot. I could see a scenario develop where Gary could find another job as HC if it was a team that had a defense and needed an offensive makeover but that may be a bit optimistic.

Rick should be ready to pounce once/if the lockout is lifted. They also need to have some 'mock FAs' setup based on different salary cap guidelines. They know the different models that have been discussed and now its pretty much known how the cap is going to work out. It may be a situation where some teams will be jettisoning players to get under a hard cap. All scenarios need to be worked out. This new CBA transition is going to make or break franchises futures over the next few years.

Some teams are going to be forced to sign players and add payroll, like the Bills. They may have to re-sign all their good players to lucrative deals and be a player in FA just to meet minimum cap guidelines. Its all theoretical but as GM you must give yourself a headstart in planning activity once the rules are determined and lockout is lifted.

Rick needs to get some agents on speed dial. They owe it to AJ to truly commit themselves to winning this year and every year.

drs23

Veteran
Rick Smith was on with John and Lance today on 1560thegame and he couldn't say much but I did get the feeling that they may take an aggressive stance in FA this year to improve the team. After all, its in his interest to do so.

Rick needs to get some agents on speed dial. They owe it to AJ to truly commit themselves to winning this year and every year.
1) McNair, Kubiak and Smith have said this early and often since going 6-10 last season. Of coarse there are many here who know better, that they're just lying, incompetent pieces of ****. Personally, I think they will be aggressive. Does that mean they'll sign every player they covet? Certainly not. That doesn't mean they weren't aggressive.

2) Rick Smith as much said that they'd have bank of phones on speed dial. As the FO has stated since before the draft, they have their prospects targeted and that they'd have to move swiftly so much has been/will be deligated. I'm sure it's up to Rick Smith to get the ink on the paper but as I've said prior: I think some folks are gonna be surprised.

Does this mean they sign Aso? Not at all, but it doesn't mean they won't try. After all it's up to Aso as we all know.

Allstar

Bona fide
I think the fact that we went out and spent the big bucks to bring in Wade is an indication that we are ready to spend to get better in a hurry.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Asomugha likely “too expensive” for Lions

The Lions were very aggressive last free agent period, having targeted Kyle Vanden Bosch and Nate Burleson as players they wanted to sign right away.

That aggressiveness and their need at cornerback has led to some Nnamdi Asomugha speculation, but Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press quotes a source that says Asomugha will be “too expensive” to go after.

Detroit could be reasonably close to a $120 million salary cap, although there are a lot of moves that could be made to make room. Birkett writes the team would still like to go after a No. 1 cornerback like Johnathan Joseph, Antonio Cromartie, or Ike Taylor if the “price is right.”

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I just think it's no more than wishful thinking to suggest that the Texans have a realistic shot at signing this guy ? OK give me an example of a similar scenario where a talented big-name FA like this player wanting to get paid AND also wanting a SB ring ended up with an also-ran like the Texans ?

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Guys, this is a 'you call it' thread. Just pick the team that you think will sign Aso.

Feel free to say why you think he will go to that team, but I specifically did not put this in the Texans Talk section because we have discussed 'Aso to the Texans' about 1000 times already. That horse has been beaten to death with a sledge hammer, thrown into a wood chipper and sent to a glue factory long ago.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
I just think it's no more than wishful thinking to suggest that the Texans have a realistic shot at signing this guy ? OK give me an example of a similar scenario where a talented big-name FA like this player wanting to get paid AND also wanting a SB ring ended up with an also-ran like the Texans ?
While it's difficult to determine motivation - particularly in retrospect - two recent examples that come to mind are Nate Clements and Julius Peppers.

Both were the top free agent going into their off-seasons, and I'm pretty sure both ended up being the highest paid FA in their respective years. Clements in 2007, and Peppers in 2010. Clements ended up going to a 49er team that had won no more than 7 games in any of the four previous seasons. Peppers went to a Chicago Bears team who was coming off of two 7-9 seasons in the previous three years (along with a 9-7 season stuck in between). It's easy to forget given the successful season they had in 2010, but there was a large group of folks who felt Lovie Smith should have been fired after the 2009 season, and felt it was a foregone conclusion that 2010 would be his last in Chicago. Few if any expected anything close to the actual season they had last year.

I could also throw in Albert Haynesworth joining a mediocre (at best) Washington team in 2009, but I imagine you would respond with the contention it was clear he was only going for the money, and you may be right.

But because there's no objective scale for motive, and you can clearly state that three out of the the last four top FA's went to teams that no objective observer viewed as a real threat to win a Super Bowl (the remaining one is Asante Samuel who went with the Eagles), that kind of indicates that there's no hard and fast rule to where they will land.

b0ng

Bad Hombre
Probably the Eagles but the hometown seems to want to take a shot. I really don't think the black and silver are going to do it.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
NY Giants
I'm changing my answer to the Tampa Bay Bucs

If teams are going to be forced to spend a majority of the cap the Bucs are going to have to spend. From what I heard the other day the Bucs are approx 25-30 million under the proposed minimum. Also, if they whack the moron CB that was poppin caps with his mom they're going to need him

Dutchrudder

Hall of Fame
Probably the Eagles but the hometown seems to want to take a shot. I really don't think the black and silver are going to do it.
The Raiders will need to free up about 15 million in cap space if they want a chance to sign Aso. They just signed freaking Stanford Rout for 31 million over 3 years.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
I think there are a lot of teams that are going to go after him hard.

But I expect him to go to the Cowboys.
The Cowboys would seem to be one of the least likely candidates.

But the Cowboys are roughly $18.9 million over a $120 million cap, and they will have to make some player sacrifices. Cutting wide receiver Roy Williams, right tackle Marc Colombo and running back Marion Barber would be easy decisions, but not so fast. Their combined salaries are $12.259 million, but those three players have more than $27 million in signing bonus proration. They might create too much dead money against the cap to get under.
link

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
1) McNair, Kubiak and Smith have said this early and often since going 6-10 last season. Of coarse there are many here who know better, that they're just lying, incompetent pieces of ****. Personally, I think they will be aggressive. Does that mean they'll sign every player they covet? Certainly not. That doesn't mean they weren't aggressive.

[Quote/] Billionaire BoBBy himself said they're not going to do anything crazy. I'll take him at his word.

2) Rick Smith as much said that they'd have bank of phones on speed dial. As the FO has stated since before the draft, they have their prospects targeted and that they'd have to move swiftly so much has been/will be deligated. I'm sure it's up to Rick Smith to get the ink on the paper but as I've said prior: I think some folks are gonna be surprised.

Does this mean they sign Aso? Not at all, but it doesn't mean they won't try. After all it's up to Aso as we all know.
Do you really have faith in Rick doing a good job during the FA period? He can even do a good job in FA during a regular FA offseason. What leads you to believe that he will do a better job during an abbreviated FA period?

Proof will be in the pudding. Depending on how the FA period I see the Texans as a 7-9,9-7 type team again this yr.

Now if Rick fill the holes (#2 Wr,S,CB,LB/OL depth in FA) and it doesn't have to be Aso level. But they have to atleast reach the Cromartie level FA at CB,S and #2 Wr I could see a 10-6 record.

Gary will atleast = -2 wins.

Ole Miss Texan

Hall of Fame
Question: does anyone think that an outdoor stadium up north may keep him from going there? On one hand he's a guy that grew up and always played in sunny Cali and his skill is being able to change direction and catch up with a WR. Snowy weather may affect that. On the other hand it's not Luke DB's cant be successful up north (Woodson in GB, Revis in NY, Samuel in PHI) :(:(

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
Question: does anyone think that an outdoor stadium up north may keep him from going there? On one hand he's a guy that grew up and always played in sunny Cali and his skill is being able to change direction and catch up with a WR. Snowy weather may affect that. On the other hand it's not Luke DB's cant be successful up north (Woodson in GB, Revis in NY, Samuel in PHI) :(:(
I don't think that will necessarily make the difference. He'll possibly learn to play just a little more off his man. Opposing offenses also will be playing in that snow.:)

drs23

Veteran
Do you really have faith in Rick doing a good job during the FA period? He can even do a good job in FA during a regular FA offseason. What leads you to believe that he will do a better job during an abbreviated FA period?

Proof will be in the pudding. Depending on how the FA period I see the Texans as a 7-9,9-7 type team again this yr.

Now if Rick fill the holes (#2 Wr,S,CB,LB/OL depth in FA) and it doesn't have to be Aso level. But they have to atleast reach the Cromartie level FA at CB,S and #2 Wr I could see a 10-6 record.

Gary will atleast = -2 wins.
I'm not so sure the abbreviated FA period hurts too much. Seems as they've had more time to do their due diligence. They've stated they know who they want. Now all they hafta do is sign them. It takes two parties to do that. Until I did a little cap research I thought they were almost maxed out. Doesn't appear to be the case. It "looks" like they can sign anyone they wish to throw big bucks at and that's exactly what it will take. It still may not be enough to lure Aso, but I bet they try.

I have a feeling some folks are going to be surprised when the smoke clears after free agency. Of coarse when that happens the "they overpaid" birds will start singing.

I guess we'll all find out together and know going in not everyone will be happy.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Here's something to consider. If Philly goes with this, then you can take them out the running for Aso.

Cardinals | To offer DRC for Kevin Kolb?
Tue, 19 Jul 2011 06:59:22 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals are prepared to offer CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in a trade to the Philadelphia Eagles for QB Kevin Kolb, according to a source.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: Xtra 910 Radio - Mike Jurecki

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1SZELcSVY

The only reason why this really makes me think it is true is because this is about a trade. I'm sure teams can still talk about who they want to trade, they just can't talk to the players about it.

ChampionTexan

Hall of Fame
Here's something to consider. If Philly goes with this, then you can take them out the running for Aso.

Cardinals | To offer DRC for Kevin Kolb?
Tue, 19 Jul 2011 06:59:22 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals are prepared to offer CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie in a trade to the Philadelphia Eagles for QB Kevin Kolb, according to a source.

0 Comments | Share: | Source: Xtra 910 Radio - Mike Jurecki

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz1SZELcSVY

The only reason why this really makes me think it is true is because this is about a trade. I'm sure teams can still talk about who they want to trade, they just can't talk to the players about it.
My guess would be that they would first try to sign Aso - why trade an asset for a CB when you can sign a better one and still have the asset. I don't think this would add more than a day to the process to find out where Aso goes.

If Aso signs somewhere else, then they can consider a Kolb for DRC deal.

thunderkyss

Just win baby!!!
Staff member
Contributor's Club
My guess would be that they would first try to sign Aso - why trade an asset for a CB when you can sign a better one and still have the asset. I don't think this would add more than a day to the process to find out where Aso goes.

If Aso signs somewhere else, then they can consider a Kolb for DRC deal.
Kevin Kolb.... 3rd round pick? Second?

for Rogers-Cromartie.. 1st rd pick.

Kolb........ riding the pine.

Rogers-Cromartie.. playing every snap.

It's a win for the Eagles & if Kolb plays the way he has shown he is capable of, it's a win for the Cardinals.